2011 Formula One Grand Prix de Monaco

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 1,122 comments
Ran out of things to bash Hamilton with.

I have a hammer :mischievous:

The thing about the new engine rules is for one, hearing that F1 has 1.5L 4 pots would hurt it's outward image. Then there's the sound. A 1.5L 4 cylinder engine revving at only 10,000rpm would sound painfully unimpressive and boring, which would hurt F1's fan appeal badly, if these V8's didn't hurt it enough already when we switched from V10's. Who cares about F1 being green? It's not like F1, or even motorsport in general, does any significant damage to the Ozone layer. If they want more efficiency, then turbocharge the V8's, or bring us turbo V6's at most. Not take a big step down, halving engine size, number of cylinders and revs.

I have a hammer :mischievous:

The thing about the new engine rules is for one, hearing that F1 has 1.5L 4 pots would hurt it's outward image. Then there's the sound. A 1.5L 4 cylinder engine revving at only 10,000rpm would sound painfully unimpressive and boring, which would hurt F1's fan appeal badly, if these V8's didn't hurt it enough already when we switched from V10's. Who cares about F1 being green? It's not like F1, or even motorsport in general, does any significant damage to the Ozone layer. If they want more efficiency, then turbocharge the V8's, or bring us turbo V6's at most. Not take a big step down, halving engine size, number of cylinders and revs.
The v8 actually sounds very different than a v10 and it sounds just as good if you watch it in real life not in youtube.

Like this 2009 but that revs 500 less than 2008/7 so it can run longer for reduced costs in a season : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dc4nIDmuXo but its still very different if your there for real.

They would never downgrade though but there are many advantages on why they use different engines like on the v8's efficiency , lighter and more responsive it's enough for a no fuel race which was made for 2010 and that's what makes F1 very interesting.

Oh and in real life , for sure the 2010 cars are better looking than 2007 ones ^_^

Im telling you , gotta watch it for real before you start being critical.

the 4 cylinder electric engines will be twinturbo charged and it will rev to 12-13,000

you don't know what to expect on how its going to sound like (sound detail) but you can expect it to be less louder than something that revs higher.

but again they will never downgrade just for less greenhouse emissions , these guys in F1 know how to make the sport interesting and the technological advancement will be very different because KERS will be much much better infact I've heard it will have double the effect of the KERS right now and the efficiency of the engines are going to be about +35% but that doesn't necessarily mean races will be longer but they could run the engines at over 800+ hp and have no fuel stops still. 800 hp + KERS will be very interesting but sound detail you don't know what to expect , its certain though that it will be less louder.

You can also expect VW come back to F1 but its still being decided on wether which name is going to be used , VW,Audi,Porsche and even some other teams.

I think Porsche was already the most considered because Audi is mainly defines their Le Mans and having diesel powered engines (TDI) and F1 is less likely to allow diesel engines , for 2013 they will run only 1 team of LMP1 rather than 2 so they can have a stable F1 team with the name Porsche because it has a big history in motorsports racing.

F1 is still a growing sport and they want more teams and more competition

because today there's only 2 teams competing for the world championship

almost every year there's never more than 3 teams competing for the championship

but ofcourse the loudness will for sure come back soon

Last edited:
F1 cars can still be given a big downforce increase to make them faster than GP2 cars. Especially now we know you can just play with tyre compounds to make the overtaking happen and not even worry about aero regulations.

It's not all about the power, on GT5 try reducing the Red Bull car down to 750bhp, and see how much faster it can lap suzuka than a 750bhp Ferrari F1 or 750bhp Gran Turismo GP car.
I actually don't know the difference but i expect it to be more than a few seconds.

If they had the 3 litre formula again with 12 cylinders allowed, that could allow for fairly economical W12 engines. Three banks of 1 litre straight 4s! I think the Life F1 team used something to that effect.

I'm still looking forward to the 4 cylinder turbos. If anyone has seen Victory By Design's Ferrari episode, they'll know that Ferrari can make a mean sounding 4 pot.

If they had the 3 litre formula again with 12 cylinders allowed, that could allow for fairly economical W12 engines. Three banks of 1 litre straight 4s! I think the Life F1 team used something to that effect.

The problem was and has never been economy. Its purely about costs. The idea with inline-4 turbo engines is that they are more tempting for manufacturers who can then stump the costs of developing the engines. Without manufacturers being interested, its going to be expensive to develop any new engines of any layout.
The reason is because inline-4s are quite common these days, in theory companies like Kia and Suzuki could sell their cars on this kind of marketing (our engines power F1 cars and our roadcars). Plus being small engines with turbos makes them "green", which is another brownie point for manufacturers..or in fact any company.

Who makes W12s these days? Almost no-one. Life's W12 was very unreliable and suffered from lack of development. Introducing engines like this is almost like starting from scratch.
Same goes for the rotary idea - who but Mazda has the required expertise?

This is why the teams/engine suppliers are now asking for the V8s to be kept, not because of sound or any other silly reason ("Ferrari inline-4s??!RAWRRRRR!), but because any change in engine regulations will introduce massive development costs and a very large potential for failure. Ferrari, Mercedes and Cosworth (not so much Renault) are worried that they will have to spend a lot of money and potentially design a terrible engine that blows up every race or doesn't produce the best power.

I wish people would shut up about 4 cylinder engines. 👎

Don't any of you remember Mister BMW 1.5 Litre Turbo 4 cylinder M12 1983 F1 Championship engine?

By 1986 it produced 1350 BHP.

Wait until you see the new engines in action before you decide they are rubbish.

1350 hp? Dear Lord. :scared:

That's what I meant by economical - I suppose I should have said financially viable. Doesn't really matter though.

What does matter is that a large number of fans want to see the V12s and V10s come back. I think this says a lot about the sport when fans want something from the 1990s to be brought back. Alas, will never happen. Just dreams and rose tinted glasses.

2002 has made me too jaded for my own good. :lol:

Back