2011 German Grand Prix

prisonermonkeys

Be Fearless
Premium
Peru
Hammerhead Garage
After nine races, we are now officially halfway through the season. And this race is going to be critical - after the controversy surrounding the off-throttle blown diffuser in Silverstone, the teams have agreed to uphold the Valencia-spec regulations. It's clear that Ferrari have made some progress, but how much of that is down to OTBD restrictions remains to be see. This race is going to go a long way toward setting up the second half of the season.

Round X of the 2011 FIA Formula 1 World Championship is the ...

2011 GROßER PRIES SANTANDER von DEUTSCHLAND
from the Nürburgring GP-Strecke in Nürburg, Germany

N%C3%BCrburgring_-_Grand-Prix_Stecke.svg

Seven-day forecast:
Late afternoon showers expected all week. Dry conditions for race day
Mid-range temperatures (15-20°C) predicted through to Sunday.

Lap Record ~ 1:29.468
(Michael Schumacher, Ferrari, 2004)

2009 Results*:
1st ~ Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault)
2nd ~ Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault)
3rd ~ Felipe Massa (Ferrari)

*The 2010 German Grand Prix was held at the Hockenheimring

2011 standings after nine races:
1st ~ Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull-Renault) ~ 204 points
2nd ~ Mark Webber (Red Bull-Renault) ~ 124 points
3rd ~ Fernando Alonso (Ferrari) ~ 112 points
4th ~ Lewis Hamilton (McLaren-Mercedes) ~ 109 points
5th ~ Jenson Button (McLaren-Mercedes) ~ 109 points
6th ~ Felipe Massa (Ferrari) ~ 52 points
7th ~ Nico Rosberg (Mercedes) ~ 40 points
8th ~ Nick Heidfeld (Renault) ~ 34 points
9th ~ Vitaly Petrov (Renault) ~ 31 points
10th ~ Michael Schumacher (Mercedes) ~ 28 points

It's back to the Nürburgring for round ten, in what could be the msot critical phase of the championship. From a purely mathematical standpoint, the earliest Sebastian Vettel can win the championship is in Japan, six races from now. But that assumes nobody else scores any points. By contract, Mark Webber, Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button all need four straight wins - with Vettel failing to score - just to take the lead of the championship. With Ferrari in particular making progress for Silverstone, one can expect that they will be in the mix for some time to come. A few good results could draw the championship fight out until the end of the season. The big question in all of this is how much of their performance in Silverstone was down to the OTBD regulations, and how much of it was a genuine step forward. The German Grand Prix looks set to show just the world a much clearer picture of the status quo in that regard.

Well, Webber dominated here a couple of years ago so I'd say pole to win for him, but the circuit seems to be about mechanical grip so Ferrari might have a chance. I just hope Vettel doesn't win because he has a huge lead already.:grumpy:

Sorry, I had to.

Beat me to it.

I forgot it was at the Nurburgring GP this year. 2 Ferraris and a Red Bull on the podium for me. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Massa was leading and he had to let past Alonso again.

I think it will be interesting to see if Ferrari is fast here to confirm their pace and to see if they have not lost anything to Red Bull from off-throttle blowing being allowed back to Valencia requirements. If they are still as fast in qualifying and faster in the race, then it could be exciting to watch a car with the pace to beat the Red Bulls in the dry and maybe see more mistakes from Sebastian.

McLaren should be back up there as they seemed to be hit the most with the off-throttle restrictions which is worrying. It would be good if the race is wet the whole way through as that seemed to suit their car the best as shown in Montreal and Silverstone recently. It would also be good to see someone else apart from a Red Bull car on pole, whether it will be Ferrari or McLaren or someone else.

I don't think Webber has led a lap yet (Might be mistaken), so will he finally do it at the place where his teammate would most like to win being his home grand prix? Leading a lap would give him a greater chance to win :sly:.

I'm hoping either Ferrari or McLaren outpace Red Bull so we can have an interesting end of the season but it is more or less in Vettel's hand even if the Red Bull becomes the 3rd fastest car for the rest of the season which is very unlikely. He does not need to risk much and just finishing will be enough. For others he really has to do DNFs for them to able to catch up and beat him.

I don't care about the day, yes interludes has done a Christian Horner by going back on what he said but I'd rather talk about the Grand Prix. It's the week of the race, surely that's enough, right?

Neither do I, but I only brought it up because interludes have made a pretty big deal about it every time it happened.

Its good to be back at the Nurburgring again, much prefer it to the current-day Hockenheim, even if both tracks have been somewhat butchered.

Weather forecast appears similar to Silverstone currently, in other words the vague "it might be dry but it might rain".

Its good to be back at the Nurburgring again, much prefer it to the current-day Hockenheim, even if both tracks have been somewhat butchered.

Weather forecast appears similar to Silverstone currently, in other words the vague "it might be dry but it might rain".

I prefer Hockenheim but I think both should be on the calendar.

I never liked this Nurb GP track much but don't matter, all I want is Ferrari and McLaren up there and RBR really struggling for a couple of races and getting back to top form for the last stages.

In short: I want this championship to get lively ;)

It's a good track apart from the newer parts of it at the start of the lap which don't fit the rest of the track at all.

Mike Coughlan in trouble. Again. Already.
Not as serious as other allegations he has faced, but it could mean a payout by Williams who are known to be rolling in mon.... oh. Expect to see Maldonado remain at Williams next year!

Have Pirelli anounced the tyres to be used? I expect Red Bull to be out front for this one regardless, with tyres then dictating the better of McLaren and Ferrari. Webber needs to finish ahead of Vettel just once to boost his confidence, but I hope team orders isn't going to be a recurring theme!

A GT5 represented track! :) Hint-more real life circuits Polyphony :dopey:

Weather will play a role I'll bet.

Looking forward to it 👍

Mike Coughlan in trouble. Again. Already.
Not as serious as other allegations he has faced, but it could mean a payout by Williams who are known to be rolling in mon.... oh. Expect to see Maldonado remain at Williams next year!

Have Pirelli anounced the tyres to be used? I expect Red Bull to be out front for this one regardless, with tyres then dictating the better of McLaren and Ferrari. Webber needs to finish ahead of Vettel just once to boost his confidence, but I hope team orders isn't going to be a recurring theme!

I may just be optimistic, but this track isn't really an aerodynamic track. It's more low speed, which means its more mechanical grip track. It doesn't have any high speed corners you don't take flat out already. Ferrari has the best of it of the frontrunners, so if all goes well, we may see Alonso on top again.

Im hoping for Vettel to win it, would be nice to win in his home country. btw would be a kick in the face to Vettel though if Webber came 1st and Vettel 2nd after the pit told him to keep the gap from silverstone, but whatever just hope Red Bull come out on top!

I predict ______ will win comfortably. Hopefully Ferrari's pace in Silverstone continues here. I love to see them do well, Massa more than Alonso though.

Why does someone every GP weekend have to complain about the day this thread gets made?

Because people like to complain about stuff?

I'd like to see a driver who hasn't won a race this season win this one.

Here's something to think about. This will be the first time Michael Schumacher has raced at the Ring since retiring, and since the Audi S was renamed Schumacher S in 2007. So has there ever been an F1 driver who has raced on a track or section of track bearing his name?

I'd like to see a Mercedes win, or Massa.

But who do I think will win? Well, I think it will be close between Webber and Vettel with Alonso/Hamilton battling for the final podium spot, with Button and Rosberg following behind in 5th and 6th.

Latest Posts

Back