2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Huge Rear Wing, Sedan and Hatch!

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTjazzabrandy
  • 110 comments
  • 28,355 views

GTjazzabrandy

(Banned)
Messages
609
Autoblog Link

100224nyasteaserround2-630op.jpg


Subaru_WRX_sti_0007.jpg


Good to see Subaru going back to their rallying roots.
 
Last edited:
Ooooh, I can't wait to see it in all it's glory. Hoepfully it'll flow well in more then just the profile.
 
Hope that means there's a trunk instead of a hatch back there...
 
Is that a giant wing on a hatchback? Interesting...
 
It's still a hatch.

There's going to be zero visibility out the back of that car, I fully expect to see these things bump into all sorts of cars in parking lots. :lol:

And at least we know it's going to be catastrophically ugly since the press photo that was released is the car under a sheet. That doesn't inspire confidence in the design.
 
Proximity sensor: Standard. :lol:
 
So long as they do a sedan version aswell then I'll be a happy camper. 👍
 
It's still a hatch.

I'm hearing that the new STI will be either sedan only or available in sedan form and...400hp. The sedan only makes no sense since the current style STI is selling better than the previous models. The current WRX makes something like 10-15hp less than the STI, rated at 265 but dynos in the 230-240hp range so a power boost is needed.
 
Wagon with huge wing = no thanks.

I'll take a sedan version.
 
Rendered speculation... i thought of.

2011impreza-1.jpg


2011impreza.jpg


2010-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-Special.jpg



what do you think.
 
^– WRX ≠ WRX STi.
 
Well since they are not in the WRC anymore, I don't see a reason not to make the STi a sedan. If the WRX STi will look like the WRX of Polden-XI, then it is at least a step in the right direction.
 
Looked better with the white sheet on it.
 
I don't mind the new wide-body WRX sedan, certainly a lot better looking than the hatch.
 
I don't mind the new wide-body WRX sedan, certainly a lot better looking than the hatch.

In the same way that Rabies is better than Botulism.
 
I'm hearing that the new STI will be either sedan only or available in sedan form and...400hp. The sedan only makes no sense since the current style STI is selling better than the previous models. The current WRX makes something like 10-15hp less than the STI, rated at 265 but dynos in the 230-240hp range so a power boost is needed.

Where is this from? I highly doubt we'll see a 400 hp version. At least not one readily available. Especially if they've pulled out of rallying. Also, 300-265=35 less hp. The STI is in no danger from the WRX.

Looked better with the white sheet on it.

Ummmm wut? Those are two completely different cars. The white sheet car is an STI hatchback, and the widebody is a cool (if irrelevant here) WRX sedan.
 
In the same way that Rabies is better than Botulism.

In the same way Jeremy Clarkson jokes from 5 years ago were funnier than his current ones. Oh wait, you fail.

Where is this from? I highly doubt we'll see a 400 hp version. At least not one readily available. Especially if they've pulled out of rallying. Also, 300-265=35 less hp. The STI is in no danger from the WRX.

The WRX is closer to 280hp, and i underrated at 265. Line up a STI next to a wrx at the dragstrip and the wrx will win.
 
Proof, please, from an established, reliable source. Not a YouTube Video.
 
LOL, go search for some stock dynos.
 
Ok, I'll look.
AWD cars have average drivetrain losses in the 25-35% range, correct? So even with a 20% loss(older wrx model had a 20% loss), the car should be around the 210whp mark. I'm having a very hard time finding any stock cars dynoing under 225whp.
 
Ok, I'll look.
AWD cars have average drivetrain losses in the 25-35% range, correct? So even with a 20% loss(older wrx model had a 20% loss), the car should be around the 210whp mark. I'm having a very hard time finding any stock cars dynoing under 225whp.

Heh? The WRX and STI drivetrains are going to be similar. So losses don't matter. With the same percent power loss to the drivetrain, more power at the crank will make more power at the wheels.

Also, stock 2009 WRX: < 225 AWHP. stock 2008 STI: 255 AWHP (Motor Trend). Both are pulling about a 15% drivetrain loss.

1/4 mile times? A look at the back of a Road & Track tells me that the WRX does it in 13.8 @ 101 mph and the STI gets there in 13.6 @ 98 mph.
 
I never said drive train losses between the wrx and sti are different. I posted what averages are said to be for awd cars, and then what the losses were for the older wrx.
As for road and track, the 2009 WRX runs a 13.5 and the sti does 13.6. 2009 wrx 0-60 is 4.7, sti is 5.0. 2009 WRX weighs less than the 2008 model, almost 200lbs less than the sti, and essentially has the same turbo as the sti. Almost all non-sti turbo subarus are underrated from the factory.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1928967
Ignore the first dyno, it was a mistake. Car did 240whp eventually. Read the thread and see what people are saying.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1939842

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1929990
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852966

stock 2010 sti doing 230whp
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29971187&postcount=4
 
Last edited:
I never said drive train losses between the wrx and sti are different. I posted what averages are said to be for awd cars, and then what the losses were for the older wrx.
As for road and track, the 2009 WRX runs a 13.5 and the sti does 13.6. 2009 wrx 0-60 is 4.7, sti is 5.0. 2009 WRX weighs less than the 2008 model, almost 200lbs less than the sti, and essentially has the same turbo as the sti. Almost all non-sti turbo subarus are underrated from the factory.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1928967
Ignore the first dyno, it was a mistake. Car did 240whp eventually. Read the thread and see what people are saying.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1939842

stock 2010 sti doing 230whp
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29971187&postcount=4


I'm shocked! I never would of thought of that, this just tells me the sti is a rip off.
 
I'm shocked! I never would of thought of that, this just tells me the sti is a rip off.

No no. These are just straight line numbers. The STI's drivetrain is still superior to the WRX, hell the legacy gt spec B is superior as it shares it with the sti.
 
Superior to the WRX in what? With all those updates shoveled at the car back in 2009, and one more time for 2011, "apparently" the WRX is the superior product. For less money too. Too bad both are a shade of their former selves and would be near or at the bottom of my list of sport compacts that I would spend my hard-earned money on.

It would have been entirely different four or five years ago.
 
Back