2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Huge Rear Wing, Sedan and Hatch!

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTjazzabrandy
  • 110 comments
  • 28,357 views
Could someone post comparison pics of the new and 2009 STI?
 
Have you tried going on a weekday you don't work? Does wonders as the salesmen usually know no one's coming in unless they're scheduled to look at a car. Pretty much how I've been able to look at cars though I usually dress nicer & take the 5.

But, as you noted, appearances do wonders.

No I haven't tried that but I don't get many week days off and when I do I'm typically doing something already. It's definitely an option though.
 
The spoiler needed to be much wider, it looks like some stupid and tacky aftermarket accessory.
 
The spoiler needed to be much wider, it looks like some stupid and tacky aftermarket accessory.


You say it looks like a tacky aftermarket accessory yet you want it bigger? :odd:

It's already as wide as it can be at it's base. If it were any wider up top it would look silly...like a tacky aftermarket accessory.
 
You say it looks like a tacky aftermarket accessory yet you want it bigger? :odd:

It's already as wide as it can be at it's base. If it were any wider up top it would look silly...like a tacky aftermarket accessory.

I think it should come out closer to the edge of the car, it doesn't look like it was designed to fit on this car.
 
Be interesting to see where COBB takes these. I think the hatchbacks look awesome when the exterior is just dropped, lip'd, & new wheels, but something about the rear of the new sedanmakes me feel it won't look as good.
 
I think it should come out closer to the edge of the car, it doesn't look like it was designed to fit on this car.


It's as wide as the top side of the rear of already. Do you want it as wide as the fender flares? That would look very silly.
 
Then the car simply isn't suited to this type of spoiler, Subaru once again exercising their lack of design talent.
 
Except it's probably functional so there for it can "not suit" the car and still be valid without looking ridiculous.
 
Quite like it. They've managed to hide that the Impreza sedan is one of the most awkwardly dull looking cars around. Though the rear wheels still look like a rollerskate trying to move a house.

But they also can't afford to let anyone just go out and rag on a car they could potentially sell. I've been turned down for driving a new Mazdaspeed 3 four times now. Also the sales person can't be tied up with someone who probably won't buy the car because they might miss a sale.

I typically go early Saturday morning since most people aren't car shopping yet. I would hate to take away a salesmen's time when he/she could potentially make a sale.

Do American dealers not pester you to death after the drive? There's a number of cars I'd go test if I wasn't sure they'd phone me constantly for days after. That said, the only ones that have ever bothered me before have both been Vauxhall dealers (need I say more...).
 
Right, I'm just going to disagree with everything you're saying.
Thing is that when you go look at a car with the predisposed notion of dislike for it, everything about it will disappoint you.

Thing is, when I first went to look at the new Impreza/WRX I was convinced that it was going to be totally awesome. Most of the stuff I had seen on the internet looked sweet, so I was ready to be impressed. Thing is, I wasn't, not even close. It had nothing to do with predispositions, however, that my expectations must have been far too high. A shame, really. Years later, the car looks better to me than it did, but I still say that the interior is inexcusable.

I think the biggest thing is to dress correctly. I wore a sport coat, euro trash jeans and a button up shirt. It makes you appear older for sure.

I normally do the polo, jeans and loafers thing. I'll usually talk about what I'm looking for, the car I have now, and what I want to replace it with. I'm never that pushy about driving the car, more or less than I just want to see it, and then see where it goes. That got me the early look at the SHO, tinkering with a NISMO Z, and so on. Really, it depends on the dealer and which network that its in. The local Subaru dealer is owned by Fox (and by the DeVos family - Joey knows what I'm talking about), and since every location is managed entirely different, you have a different experience in every one. The Fox Mazda guys rock though. They'll let you drive just about anything. Fox Subaru/Audi/Porsche? Good luck.

Unfortunately the worst dealer test drive scenario I've experienced was at the local MINI spot. I'm uncertain if the policy has changed as of late, but before, you could only drive a MINI if you were putting down a deposit. LAME.

The car was awful by the way.

I'll take your word for it. I'm not dying to drive one any time soon.
 
But is it still a rally car for the road? I always thought that was the main buying attraction for Imprezas. No one would buy the base model because there was always something better no matter what you wanted from the car. The fact that Subaru don't go rallying anymore probably doesn't make much difference from the STi from when they were rallying, but it may affect sales from customers who aren't subaru and car fans.
 
Love the new Sedan... the Hatchback is meh imo... Got a link... its in Dutch but they have nice pics :)

http://www.autoblog.nl/archive/2010/04/01/subaru-wrx-sti-2011-specs-en-fotos

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Subaru_WRX_sti_0001.jpg
    Subaru_WRX_sti_0001.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 333
Looks really damn nice :D Glad the sedan is back!
 
bring back the big round foglights!!!!!
 
Except it's probably functional so there for it can "not suit" the car and still be valid without looking ridiculous.

I doubt it's functional.
 
The STI spoilers in the past have been functional, I don't see why this one wouldn't be.

cgroppi
I calculated the downforce of the STi wing using the Langley Research Center FoilSim wing simulator. The results are 60 lb of downforce at 100 mph, and 140 lb of downforce at 150 mph, which is an increase of between 5% and 10% download on the rear wheels.

From this thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505273
 
I doubt it's functional.

Why not ? Of course it is, but without a doubt a bigger wing will create more downforce. You should also consider that Subaru probably wants to keep a certain balance between downforce and top speed capabilities / fuel consumption.
 
Bored at NASA since they canceled the moon program, have they? X3

Nah, they're using their time to fix Toyota's apparently.
 
I'm gonna agree and say the rear lights and spoiler look hideous. It's laughable almost.

2011-subaru-WRX-STI-sedan-rear.jpg
 
I look at that picture and see no downward attack on that spoiler, without downward attack the spoiler is not functional, simple. Additionally, unless it's bred purely for the track, manufacturers wouldn't want a spoiler creating drag hurting fuel economy especially in this day and age. Unless someone can find facts stating how much downforce this wing creates, I'm a non-believer in it.
 
Simple? I think you need to check your eyes. The sides of the spoiler show a downward slope and it's quite obvious. STI spoilers have always been functional. Either way, simply having a "downward attack" doesn't make the wing functional. You should know that though, seeing as you're such an expert, lol. Fuel economy concerns, on a car such as the STI, lol.
 
I look at that picture and see no downward attack on that spoiler, without downward attack the spoiler is not functional, simple. Additionally, unless it's bred purely for the track, manufacturers wouldn't want a spoiler creating drag hurting fuel economy especially in this day and age. Unless someone can find facts stating how much downforce this wing creates, I'm a non-believer in it.
Then start believing.
#NYIAS That wing on the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX STI? It's tough to love. But there's some aerodynamic function behind it. It drops the STI sedan's coefficient of drag to 0.35 versus 0.37 on the hatchback. It does this by creating a more continuous steam of airflow, as air passes over the roof and straight over the large wing. In contrast, air hits the hatchback's roof-mounted wing and then drops off more abruptly. Also helping is the STI sedan's 6-inch-longer body.

All this, says Martyn Harding, product manager for the Impreza and Forester line, is enough to increase top speed.

The STI hatchback tops out at 250 km/h (155 mph). But the STI sedan keeps on going to 255 km/h (158 mph). A negligible difference, maybe, but it's something.
http://blogs.insideline.com/straigh...dan-love-the-wing-it-increases-top-speed.html
 

That piece basically says it reduces drag... not that it creates useable downforce.

And from reading of the PR... all it says of the wing is that it reduces lift... not that it creates downforce. Wings that create downforce usually add more drag, which limits top speed.

And personally? 60 pounds of rear downforce (in a previous post)? On a car that weighs one and a half tons? I could get more rear traction by adding a second spare tire!

Track cars with actual, useable wings have downforce numbers in the hundreds of pounds... but those rear wings need to be balanced with a front splitter... which... to be effecitve... is often so close to the ground that you can barely clear speed bumps with it (actually... you won't be able to clear any speed-bumps at all, if it's done right). That's why most sportscars with active aero don't have much more than 100 pounds of downforce from them... and often much less.
 
That piece basically says it reduces drag... not that it creates useable downforce.

And from reading of the PR... all it says of the wing is that it reduces lift... not that it creates downforce. Wings that create downforce usually add more drag, which limits top speed.
Regardless of what it may or may not do, it does serve a purpose & is functional, despite Paulie thinking otherwise. Subaru doesn't add these for giggles.
 
But the function of much of the kit is primarily aesthetic. You can negate rear lift through a properly designed underbody venturi instead of having a (mostly) cosmetic spoiler on the car that takes up half your rear-view mirror. In fact... a lip spoiler on the trailing edge of the roof will also act to create a more laminar flow over the rear windshield, decreasing drag and increasing top speed.

Not to mention the fact that the wing is too low for proper downforce... it needs to be at least level with the trailing edge of the roof to be effective. That position was effective on the last EVO because Mitsubishi used venturi effects to push air down to it.

I'm not even going to start on the ridiculously knobby body-kit (okay... it's there to cover the wider track... but it just doesn't flow...), fake venturi mesh on the rear bumper or the superfluous quad pipes... it's all for show. All the really neat stuff is on the inside.

Not that I'm adverse to racy-looking body-kit and chunky addenda... I just don't like the results of all that dressing up, in this case.
 
Last edited:
Im going to the new york auto show next week. If there is there any pics u guys want me to take of the car or questions you want me to ask the subaru officials i will be glad to help.
 
Back