2012 Australian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 1,442 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude he almost certainly has the ability to win in a top car. It's blindingly obvious.

People so seem to forget that Sutil got 42 points, and Di Resta only got 27 points...

He might be a champion in the future, but he's not fast enough right now. He still needs to improve before I'll say that he will be a future champion. He could develop into one, but right now he's not quick enough.

I don't think di Resta is nearly as full of himself as some people like to make out. Yes, driving a Formula 1 car demands a level of self-confidence that borders on arrogance, but this is a trait that all drivers have - and it's not really bragging when you can actually do what you calim you can.

No, I think the reason why people like to get stuck into di Resta is because the British media (especially the tabloids) love nothing more than tearing into British drivers, and will do so given half a chance. In fact, they'll do it to just about any and every British sporting and cultural establishment they can think of.

Dude he almost certainly has the ability to win in a top car. It's blindingly obvious.

Sutil did better than him, though, by a fair margin. What about him then? If anyone at Force India in 2011 deserved to stay, or hell, even be promoted to a top team, it was definitely Sutil.

I don't think di Resta is nearly as full of himself as some people like to make out. Yes, driving a Formula 1 car demands a level of self-confidence that borders on arrogance, but this is a trait that all drivers have - and it's not really bragging when you can actually do what you calim you can.

No, I think the reason why people like to get stuck into di Resta is because the British media (especially the tabloids) love nothing more than tearing into British drivers, and will do so given half a chance. In fact, they'll do it to just about any and every British sporting and cultural establishment they can think of.

This. At any race in 2011, you could probably hear Coulthard going on about di Resta having a brilliant debut season, being a future world champion, and consistently getting the better of his teammate. The latter is definitely not true if you really are watching the races.

Sutil has been in the sport 4 years and done nothing.

As mentioned in the OP, there will be two DRS activation zones, here's a diagram showing those zones:

drs_melbourne_2012-390x470.gif

This. At any race in 2011, you could probably hear Coulthard going on about di Resta having a brilliant debut season, being a future world champion, and consistently getting the better of his teammate. The latter is definitely not true if you really are watching the races.

I'm sure the German media do the same too, and the Italians, Spanish, French, Japanese.....

Quit acting like the only driver to ever recieve exaggerated media attention is Paul Di Resta - let the Scottish have their driver.

And its not like Sutil covered himself in glory last year though he did have his personal best year. Di Resta's a rookie and its only normal for people to expect Sutil to beat him just through experience.

Funny how the media and popular opinon can turn people against certain drivers despite them doing relatively well - is it so hard to remember and compare to rookies such as Piquet Jr, Grosjean, Nakajima, Bourdais, Liuzzi, Klien..heck even Hulkenburg had a fairly average rookie season. Di Resta has been more impressive than all of those drivers I mentioned.

Not everyone has to be a Hamilton, Vettel or Kobayashi in their debut. I'd compare Di Resta (and Perez') seasons with Kovalainen's rookie season - pretty decent against a more experienced teammate. If they can only improve with experience, then they will surely at least win a race one day in the right car.

To be fair, di Resta's season was fairly respectable. He finished 13th overall, with 27 points, and a best result of sixth in Singapore. He may not have been as good as some implied, but he certainly wasn't abysmal.

Sutil has been in the sport 4 years and done nothing.
He's been with us for 5 years, actually. And he's done a great job, and has performed consistently well. I think that next to Kubica, he was one of the most deserving of a top drive. I think he would make a great second driver at least to back up a faster driver, because of his good consistency.

To be fair, di Resta's season was fairly respectable. He finished 13th overall, with 27 points, and a best result of sixth in Singapore. He may not have been as good as some implied, but he certainly wasn't abysmal.

I never said he had an abysmal season, but his 2011 was not as great as the British media, and even Force India themselves, would want us to believe. More a case of overhype rather than underperformance.

I don't think Sutil ever showed anything deserving of a top seat drive - too many mistakes under pressure.
I can't forget 2009 and 2010 when we regularly saw Sutil get himself into a top 6 position only to then lose it in the barriers or into other cars. It was a running joke at the time that whenever he was doing well, Kimi was never far away from contact..

Certainly though he deserved another F1 seat but I can't agree he is anywhere near Kubica. You talk about over-hype and then you come out with statements like this..

He's been with us for 5 years, actually. And he's done a great job, and has performed consistently well. I think that next to Kubica, he was one of the most deserving of a top drive. I think he would make a great second driver at least to back up a faster driver, because of his good consistency.

Anyone could be a good second driver by that logic though. He drove consistently and stayed within the limits of the car. What top team wants a driver who doesn't go all in to get that extra tenth? (sometimes with consequences) Force India have had a car capable of winning a race precisely once. On that occasion Sutil qualified 10th and finished 11th. He has never done anything outstanding, and that is why isn't yet with a top team. Both Massa and Raikkonen drove the wheels off their cars in a similar position and were eventually rewarded with Ferrari seats. He could hope for a Heikki role at Mclaren though. He had one good result and signed on to be Lewis's bitch for 2 years.

akmuq
F1 stuff...

Or will Sebastian Vettel finger the competition for another year?

More F1 stuff..

Could have been a better words.. :dopey:

But metaphorically speaking its uncomfortably fitting.. :nervous:

What is done is done, Kubica is out, Kimi's in the hot seat... Di Resta is now FI's number one... let's let the drivers do the talking on the track and throttle the donkeys after the race... :D

...let's let the drivers do the talking on the track and throttle the donkeys after the race... :D

Throttle donkeys? Perhaps a some sort of loophole by Renault, an experiment on McLaren's test mule, or will the Prancing Horse bray in protest for a rule change, like an ass?

You heard it here first from our moles in the Pacific Rim media and the ability of American media to get F1 all wrong!

jcm
People so seem to forget that Sutil got 42 points, and Di Resta only got 27 points...

He might be a champion in the future, but he's not fast enough right now. He still needs to improve before I'll say that he will be a future champion. He could develop into one, but right now he's not quick enough.

I was just getting ready to say that, but I like Di Resta tho, he does have potential.

jcm
So? In 2010, Robert Kubica scored 136 points. Vitaly Petrov only managed 27. True, the gap in talent between di Resta and Sutil is much narrower than the gap between Petrov and Kubica, but being beaten by a far more experienced team-mate in your debut season does not make you hopeless.

Throttle donkeys? Perhaps a some sort of loophole by Renault, an experiment on McLaren's test mule, or will the Prancing Horse bray in protest for a rule change, like an ass?

You heard it here first from our moles in the Pacific Rim media and the ability of American media to get F1 all wrong!

My lips are sealed. Any further pun-ishment would be beating a dead horse.

prisonermonkeys
So? In 2010, Robert Kubica scored 136 points. Vitaly Petrov only managed 27. True, the gap in talent between di Resta and Sutil is much narrower than the gap between Petrov and Kubica, but being beaten by a far more experienced team-mate in your debut season does not make you hopeless.

I never said he was hopeless, just that he didn't preform with the speed of a world champion, because to be a world champion, you have to beat your teammate.

He will probably improve, it's just inpossible to say how much he'll improve. I hope he does well this year, perhaps he'll even get a podium.... Can't wait to see which teams are fastest, we'll find out in a couple of days!

jcm
I never said he was hopeless, just that he didn't preform with the speed of a world champion, because to be a world champion, you have to beat your teammate.
Where is it written that each and every single World Champion beat their team-mates in their debut season, and that a failure to do so prevented them from winning the title?

prisonermonkeys
Where is it written that each and every single World Champion beat their team-mates in their debut season, and that a failure to do so prevented them from winning the title?

Nowhere, just that when/if a driver wins the world championship, they will have beaten their teammates during the season they won the world championship. I seriously doubt that di Resta was fast enough in 2011 to have been the world champion, even if he'd been at Red Bull.

I have never said that he won't win the world championship in the future, just that he needs to improve to be able to do so. Over the course of his career, he could very possibly become world champion, but only if he improves.

I don't think Sutil ever showed anything deserving of a top seat drive - too many mistakes under pressure.
I can't forget 2009 and 2010 when we regularly saw Sutil get himself into a top 6 position only to then lose it in the barriers or into other cars. It was a running joke at the time that whenever he was doing well, Kimi was never far away from contact..

Certainly though he deserved another F1 seat but I can't agree he is anywhere near Kubica. You talk about over-hype and then you come out with statements like this..

He made a few mistakes in the 2009 and 2010 span, but he had some great drives, such as Italy 2009, and Spa 2010, and just the other day in Brazil. I think that Sutil is around the same level as Nick Heidfield, only a bit faster over a single lap, a bit less consistent, and a lot less boring. I remember Sutil not being too far off Hamilton in Formula 3, back when they were teammates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back