2012 Bahrain Grand Prix

Sorry if it's already been covered, but why are they using the medium and soft compounds if tyre temperature and graining is such a problem (the footage of Massa's right front tyre graining from FP1 was pretty crazy)? Surely hard and medium would be better?

And I guess you didn't see it before, but Rosberg's points in the OP should be 25 rather than 26. 👍

Thats exactly why. Increased degredation, increased action.

I don't think that this practice session shows the relative pace of the cars, Hamilton was slower than his FP1 time. So come Saturday evening, I expect a Mclaren or a Mercedes to be on pole.

EDIT: After reading what Jenson said about the car, I may be wrong.

Last edited:
No Practice session says anything at all about the performance of the cars.

They are used as test sessions since they can't test like they used to.

They absolutely definitely do kill overtaking. If we look at something from the opposite end of the spectrum, like NASCAR, where downforce is almost nonexistent, you following behind me benefits you in that it reduces air resistance on your car, making you faster, but without any negative consequences since your car doesn't really rely on downforce for track performance. Now, if we swap our cars and instead run F1 cars, 60% of your performance comes from the chassis and its aerodynamics, so while drafting me may reduce drag, you lose a lot more performance because the dirty air cripples your wings' effectiveness. So, while in NASCAR you're benefited by drafting behind me, in F1 you're penalized by doing so.

No, wing-based aerodynamics are not the be all and end all of aero.

The point I was making was that we shouldn't blame aerodynamics because aerodynamics means much more than simply wing-based designs. The example I gave of ground effects isn't affected by turbulence and wake to the same extent as front and rear wings are. Ground effects are aerodynamics are they not?

NASCAR does indeed have aerodynamics and yes they do actually rely on it to an extent. The reason though that NASCARs are not so affected in the corners is because they do not use huge front wings to generate the front downforce, they rely on splitters instead. Thats not to say there is no effect, there is always a turbulence effect. Its just the damage of turbulence to the ability to create grip is much less.

At least that is what I understand from it all. Basically we need to stop this thought process that aerodynamics == huge wings. There is more than one way to create aerodynamic grip.

Why the heck did that RBR have the inter wets on?

Really? Maybe it's to measure aero, I remember Force India doing that during Pre-season testing.

They use them to put down rubber in their pit box.

Its to save tyres when doing installation laps. No need to waste a set picking up rubbish from a dusty and dirty track. Almost all tracks start the weekend very dirty so any running done at the start of FP1 is going to waste the tyres and gain no information. But as the teams still need to check the cars are ok (as they are rebuilt for each weekend), they do their installation run with inters because they aren't as likely to be needed during the weekend.

Its not just to lay down rubbber in the pits because they repeatedly do that throughout the session with all tyres. Besides, slicks surely put down rubber a bit more effectively than inters.
Its also not just for aero testing, we also repeatedly see some straightline aero checks done with slicks on the track.

Last edited:
I might set my alarm clock for 6:30 am just to watch Bahrain. I want to see Mercedes do it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually looking forward to a pretty exciting race. Tyre wear thrown into the mix, DRS hopefully won't kill the racing too much, and the racing we've seen so far, makes this one either another crazy ride, or the first race to actually show us the real order of things.

Looking forward to seeing more from Raikkonen, Senna, Maldonado, Perez and hopefully Massa can do something to save his career and reputation here.

Protest image from Bahrain.
Go back and read the opening post of this thread:
Please note that this thread is NOT for discussing the political situation in Bahrain at the moment and the moral or ethical responsibilities of the sport. That discussion is being carried out here. This thread is for the discussion of the actual race.

If the moderators see any discussion outside the events of the race, could they please delete them or move them to the appropriate thread?
Please keep politics out of this discussion.

Everyone else had managed it jsut fine until you came along.

Hey, wondering if anyone knows if Quali and the Race are being broadcasted in Australia and what time? Should be a great race.

Great, just found out that due to our benevolent television networks in Australia, I cannot watch the Bahrain GP live (or most likely any of the European season). Race is not being broadcast on ONE HD, and Channel 10, who have been espousing with great pride how the European season is to have "EVERY RACE LIVE" is misleading the west again. Eastern states live means a 2 hour delay over here. Great support for one of the world's largest sports, and real respect to the viewer base after the promises from the network.

Great, just found out that due to our benevolent television networks in Australia, I cannot watch the Bahrain GP live (or most likely any of the European season). Race is not being broadcast on ONE HD, and Channel 10, who have been espousing with great pride how the European season is to have "EVERY RACE LIVE" is misleading the west again. Eastern states live means a 2 hour delay over here. Great support for one of the world's largest sports, and real respect to the viewer base after the promises from the network.

I dont get free coverage here in Portugal but I always manage to find a live stream of all the sessions on the internet... I even get to pick if I want to watch in portuguese, the BBC or SKY and I usualy choose the last one because of Brundle.

I dont get free coverage here in Portugal but I always manage to find a live stream of all the sessions on the internet... I even get to pick if I want to watch in portuguese, the BBC or SKY and I usualy choose the last one because of Brundle.

Yeah, only issue with that is that due to our spectacular internet in this country, the best I could do is a 360p stream that will still lag at times. Additionally, that is illegal, meaning that to support the first Western Australian to have a significant position within the sport, I must either watch on a delay knowing the result, watch on a delay denying myself the result, or illegally watch a stream.

Yeah, only issue with that is that due to our spectacular internet in this country, the best I could do is a 360p stream that will still lag at times. Additionally, that is illegal, meaning that to support the first Western Australian to have a significant position within the sport, I must either watch on a delay knowing the result, watch on a delay denying myself the result, or illegally watch a stream.

I would gladly watch with a delay on a proper TV if I had the chance ;)

I would gladly watch with a delay on a proper TV if I had the chance ;)

It will be broadcast delayed, on a Standard definition signal with advertising for about 1/5th of the race duration. It will go to ads when the network wants it, in Australia we have regularly had a full safety car period with no ads, to go to ads halfway into the first lap of green flag racing, or cut to commercials just as DRS is reenabled (not a fan of DRS, but the impact on the race strategy is undeniable). I would rather have decent enough internet in this nation to watch a reliable stream, or a proper broadcast to watch on television.

There is usually a stream on the ONE HD website, don't know if they are going to have it now that Ten's showing it "live" - fairly stupid of Network Ten to be doing this now considering that (as far as I know) F1 is now filmed in HD and analogue TV is currently being phased out.

I guess they had no choice, I mean, who would want to watch the qualifying and race live when you can watch the very popular and much loved sport of Netball? :rolleyes:

The idea is that by moving the sport from OneHD to Channel Ten, they will attract more viewers.

Although given the controversy surrounding Bahrain, it seems like a pretty poor choice of event to start the shift with.

The idea is that by moving the sport from OneHD to Channel Ten, they will attract more viewers.

Although given the controversy surrounding Bahrain, it seems like a pretty poor choice of event to start the shift with.

Actually someone made a point in the other Bahrain thread that this might lead to the highest amount of interest/TV ratings of the year.

Wait, so will we get coverage for the rest of the season live on OneHD at all or is it just this time out? It'll be real hard to have to go back to standard definition broadcasts...

EDIT: I see what's going on here. Qualifying is live in South Australia according to the OneHD website. I checked the guide on my TV first and nothing was there which had my jimmies rustled for a few minutes. :P Still, the race isn't live on OneHD, which is a bit of a bitch.

Last edited:
Wait, so will we get coverage for the rest of the season live on OneHD at all or is it just this time out? It'll be real hard to have to go back to standard definition broadcasts...

The rest of the season will be on Ten, live only in the eastern states. Ironically though, qualifying will still be on One HD. It's all just to boost their 'Super Sunday' lineup. Although if this flops hopefully they'll come to their senses and put it back on One.

EDIT: Tree'd

Pretty ridiculous, I didn't think I would be saying this but I sure hope it does fail to grab audiences on Ten!

Its to save tyres when doing installation laps. No need to waste a set picking up rubbish from a dusty and dirty track. Almost all tracks start the weekend very dirty so any running done at the start of FP1 is going to waste the tyres and gain no information. But as the teams still need to check the cars are ok (as they are rebuilt for each weekend), they do their installation run with inters because they aren't as likely to be needed during the weekend.

Its not just to lay down rubbber in the pits because they repeatedly do that throughout the session with all tyres. Besides, slicks surely put down rubber a bit more effectively than inters.
Its also not just for aero testing, we also repeatedly see some straightline aero checks done with slicks on the track.

I haven't seen them do installation laps on inter/wet on a dry track. I must have missed that, somehow...

I also seem to remember them going out to the grid before the race on inters as well for similar reasons (save tyres, only need to do a few checks out on the track before the race start). Sometimes they choose to use slicks though if they feel they need to gather data - its by no means the rule that everyone does installation laps on inters.

Back