2012 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter That90sGuy
  • 826 comments
Australia
Wollongong
So after a 5-week break which to some seemed like an eternity, the Formula 1 championship roars back to life at the famous Spa-Francochamps circuit, a circuit which hardly produces dull racing​

2012 Shell Belgian Grand Prix

Lap Record: 1:47.263
Sebastian Vettel​

2011 Results:
1. Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull-Renault
2. Mark Webber- Red Bull-Renault
3. Jenson Button - McLaren-Mercedes

Current Top 5 Standings:
1. Fernando Alonso 164 points
2. Mark Webber 124 points
3. Sebastian Vettel 122 points
4. Lewis Hamilton 117 points
5. Kimi Raikkonen 116 points

With Fernando Alonso leading the season by just 40 points, the driver's championship is still anybody's guess as this is one of the most unpredictable seasons in recent memory.

• Who will carry the momentum in the final eight races after Belgium?
  • Will Fernando Alonso continue to gain an edge on his opponents?
  • Can Red Bull or McLaren catch up?
  • Will Lotus continue to be the dark horses in this years championship?
  • Can the midfield teams continue to produce surprising results?
  • Can Lotus, Marussia or HRT score a point anywhere this season?

All of these questions to be answered both in Belgium and in the following 8 races. Get ready, the 2012 Formula One season is just hotting up!

This break has seemed longer than normal, glad to have it back. I'm hoping for a Mclaren win, and the typical unpredictable Belgian weather.

I'm predicting a lot of predictions that Kimi Raikkonen will somehow dominate.

I'm also predicting that Lotus will once again fail to make good on their promised pace.

What? We're in the middle of a season? I thought it was over, already?

And:

Alonso to win.

Since I will be going to the the track I hope for dry weather. Sorry guys. But the weather forecast seems to favor unpredictable weather.

It's finally time for the race that most of us look forward to all year. Can't wait. I don't care who wins this one, I just want some Spa magic.

It's finally time for the race that most of us look forward to all year. Can't wait. I don't care who wins this one, I just want some Spa magic.

This, although Raikkonen has always gone well here. I'm hopeful.

I predict a McLaren win again, and more likely to be Hamilton. Hope Alonso's championship is given a serious dent but I can see him managing the weather well and being thoroughly in the hunt for the win. Difficult to read the Red bull's at the moment....

I really hope Schumacher wins. This is probably going to be one of the most important races of his career.

While I am not against Schumacher winning next GP, how should this be the most important race of his career? I mean, it's quite obvious there have stepped up other title challengers.

Don't get me wrong here, I do respect Schumacher and his fans (I belong to that group too), but I would not expect a win of Schummi in Spa.

Hope Senna, Schumacher and Webber do well. Expect Maldonado to bump someone off the track again, probably a Sauber or a Force India.

Oh and I'll just leave this here:

[*]Can Caterham, Marussia or HRT score a point anywhere this season?

Fixed :P

Anyways usual contenders for the win would be Alonso, the Lotuses, Red Bulls(?) and obviously the Mclarens.

Would be interesting to see how Lotus' new 'device' would fare in spa...

Last edited:
HeXoSKEL3t0n

This. I think that either here, Monza (both for the fact that their aero disadvantage is lessened), or Singapore (due to the rather high rate of attrition) are Lotus' best chances to finally get a point. Marussia and HRT, I feel, are still too far back to join that fight.

This.

I really hope Schumacher wins. This is probably going to be one of the most important races of his career.

And this. In combination.

Seriously, I freakin' LOVE Spa and because Schumi mostly does very well there I CAN NOT WAIT for the race. Good thing is, work will keep me busy until saturday morning, where the qualy is. :sly:

Last edited:
While I am not against Schumacher winning next GP, how should this be the most important race of his career? I mean, it's quite obvious there have stepped up other title challengers.

Don't get me wrong here, I do respect Schumacher and his fans (I belong to that group too), but I would not expect a win of Schummi in Spa.

His first win was at Spa 20 years ago.

1st win here, 20th anniversary in F1 here, 1st race here, 1 championship won here... On his 300th race, Schumi has to win! He just HAS to!

Since his comeback, he hasn't started in the top 20 at this track. Though he did drive from 24th to 5th last year, which was brilliant.

I felt that too, way longer than expected.

Anyways, hope Hamilton gets a win, but if not I'd like to see Kimi on the top step.

His first win was at Spa 20 years ago.

good lord, I was 20 back then. Time flies

Anyway hoping for a good show on Sunday. I will leave at 6 in the morning. It's only an hour drive. But I do not want to get stuck in traffic like I did before.

good lord, I was 20 back then. Time flies

Anyway hoping for a good show on Sunday. I will leave at 6 in the morning. It's only an hour drive. But I do not want to get stuck in traffic like I did before.

You just going for the Sunday? My parents are there for the weekend. They were also at Zandvoort last week for the DTM. So Im very jealous.

Hoping for a Raikonnen or a Vettel win this weekend. For the championship though I would like Alonso not to finish, just to bring the rest of the chasers back up.

You just going for the Sunday? My parents are there for the weekend. They were also at Zandvoort last week for the DTM. So Im very jealous.

Hoping for a Raikonnen or a Vettel win this weekend. For the championship though I would like Alonso not to finish, just to bring the rest of the chasers back up.

Yep, only the Sunday. Gotta do some redecorating on the kids rooms on Saturday.

I watched the DTM at Zandvoort on TV. I have been many many times to Zandvoort. Love the track, but it so difficult to get there with large events. At least back in the days of the Marlboro Masters, free entrance, the trains were packed with people. Almost like Japan or India :nervous:

It would be nice to see McLaren or Lotus do well here and close that gap. Although the Alonso/Ferrari partnership is currently 40 points ahead, I don't actually see that as a realistic difference in performance. Alonso has just been brilliant, but I can see them being reeled in over the next couple of races (starting here with the possibility of rain), which is great for the fans. :D

...I hadn't mentioned Redbull as for some irrational reason I just find them irritating. ;)

Red Bull will have lost something with that last ruling, but knowing Newey, he'll have closed that gap again.

Still... Alonso is a master at mastering a deficit... he might just be able to finish the season on top if he keeps high in the points and lets everyone else trip over each other.

Back