2012 Belgian Grand Prix

• Thread starter That90sGuy
  • 826 comments
Still... Alonso is a master at mastering a deficit... he might just be able to finish the season on top if he keeps high in the points and lets everyone else trip over each other.

I kinda felt he's overdue for a bad race. He hasn't had a rotten-luck day yet this season like Hamilton and Vettel have. I'd like to see maybe a DNF for Alonso to even things back up a bit. Maybe Crashtor can take him out.

Alonso just hasn't done anything to put himself in the position to DNF. Vettel and Hamilton, on the other hand, have shown themselves capable of putting themselves in a position where things can happen to them... though to be fair, a whole lot of Lewis' bad luck is not of his own doing this season.

No driver has had such a points gap in the championship at this time in the season, and lost the championship, since this points system has been around. Only person whose had a gap this big was Vettel, and he never looked back. Still, if you want to look at seasons with the old points system, where 40 points now would be 16 points then, I don't think anyone else has either.

Ferrari will surely step up he development race to secure the title, but with McLaren still unable to put a good race together, and Red Bull tripping over hurdle after hurdle in terms of their car's legality, neither look like a serious threat. Only a string of retirements can really close up the gap.

nooo! Don't say that! :scared:

Hey, last time Schumi announced his retirement, he won the race that weekend. :lol:

Vettel really could do with a win, and I'm still waiting for that elusive first point from the new teams!

The title is Alonso's hands. He (and Ferrari) can only throw it away. Not that I expect him to though.

I am hoping for an Alonso DNF and a Hamilton win.

Sorry Alonso, but let someone else have amazing luck for once. :P

I am hoping for an Alonso DNF and a Hamilton win.

Sorry Alonso, but let someone else have amazing luck for once. :P

It's not luck, it is called race craft. Like him or not, the man has it. I am looking forward to an eventual Alonso/Ferrari championship!

kikie
You want rain? :scared:

:)

Of course. No safety cars would be nice too. A wet battle in the Ardennes similar to the race in 2008. No dodgy penalties this time so we can all enjoy it instead of arguing over it.

One can dream.

Aah finally F1 continues :) I have a feeling that we'll see some dramatic crashes as these 5 long weeks have put the drivers hungry for speed. Would like to see VET/HAM/RAI on top

It's not luck, it is called race craft. Like him or not, the man has it. I am looking forward to an eventual Alonso/Ferrari championship!

By no means, I am not saying he isn't worthy of his position he's sitting in, but Valencia, where his main two rivals DNF'd through no real fault of their own, Silverstone, where he called for a red flag in qualifying because he couldn't get a lap in and he was far down the field, and then when it dried he had pace again and the McLarens were all of a suddenly miles off, Hockenheim where Hamilton got a puncture, Hamiltons bad pit stops early on, most obviously in Malaysia where he Alonso jumped Hamilton in the final pit stops and went on to win ETC ETC...

He is the best driver on the grid right now, but he is also the one who has had all the luck this season so far..

nooo! Don't say that! :scared:

No worries, he just said he'd make that decision in October.

But maybe he should!

Hey, last time Schumi announced his retirement, he won the race that weekend. :lol:

About Alonso... You can't blame him for getting everything possible right and others failing or having bad luck.

The way he currently drives and behaves on and off track makes me officially rooting for him for the WDC ths year (and it's not an Iberic thing).

Wishing him to DNF so others can catch up (quoting CK) is like asking your dad to break your sisters toy cause yours is broken too, so that it's 'fair'. As bad as NASCAR showing yellows so the leader gets realed into the pack. IMHO

Im hoping for an Alonso DNF only because that would seriously hot up the championship table... Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen suddenly spring back into contention.
Hamilton, Vettel, Raikkonen, Alonso...Is that the juiciest championship fight or what?? All drivers looking to add to there WDC tally.

About Alonso... You can't blame him for getting everything possible right and others failing or having bad luck.

The way he currently drives and behaves on and off track makes me officially rooting for him for the WDC ths year (and it's not an Iberic thing).

Wishing him to DNF so others can catch up (quoting CK) is like asking your dad to break your sisters toy cause yours is broken too, so that it's 'fair'. As bad as NASCAR showing yellows so the leader gets realed into the pack. IMHO

Huh? I'm rooting for Alonso, too. I didn't want him to retire. I was only saying that a sudden string of retirements is the only thing that can stop him, and with that Ferrari being one of the most reliable cars on the grid right now, it's highly unlikely.

Just messing with you to get your attention to the point. I know people don't wish him harm (most).

Point being if others aren't up there it's mostly due to their mistakes. Bad luck? Or bad alternator design on the Renaults? Bad strategy on Lotus? Bad pitting by MacLaren?

The season we've been having and how the field is balanced, I expect more excitement and great racing, and new victors.

'All' other have to do is perform as F1 demands. Near perfectly. If they do, races will be won by them an not by Alonso. On that car Ferrari gave him the first half of the season...

I just hope Schumi gets all his mechanical failures/bad luck sorted out for this race. I wish Alonso would win, with Vettel out of the points. I'm fine with any champion but Vettel.

Interesting bit of bodywork on the McLaren, as spotted by Tobias Gruener:

A1kBCfICcAAtqVh.jpg:large

More downforce?

Channeling the air to the rear more efficiently?

I can't think of any other reason for that bodywork.

All you Alonso DNF'ers... this is your fault. You voodooed the wrong car.

Back