2012 Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisters (DTM)

• Thread starter Blaze_409
  • 334 comments
Blaze_409
I noticed there has not been a thread on this.

8655.jpg

Now that where welcoming a new far more interesting era that i want to actually follow....

What piques my interest is that fact that BMW has the most lethal driving squad in all of Touring Cars of any kind whether that be V8/ btcc/wtcc/dtm.

BMW's drivers of now
1.Augusto Farfus---needs no introduction
2.Andy Priualx-needs no introduction
3.Martin Tomcyzk - 2011 DTM champ in year old Audi
4.Bruno Spengler- 2011 Mercedes best DTM driver
5. Joey Hand
6. Dirk Werner

Do any of those guys need introductions except maybe Vernay.
What are they feeding the guys down in Munich that has all the best touring cars drivers in the world jumping ship to BMW?

Compartively:
Of the 7 A4 DTMS that Audi will run.
They only have 4 top guns:
1.Matthias Ekstrom
2.Timo Scheider
3. Miguel Molina
4. Mike Rockenfeller

Last edited:
Change it yourself. Just edit your post.

Didn't Tom Kristiensen drive for Audi at some point? They may take him back in the gaps between the WEC.

Change it yourself. Just edit your post.

Didn't Tom Kristiensen drive for Audi at some point? They may take him back in the gaps between the WEC.

The WEC and DTM schedules clash for many rounds (conflicting rounds shown):

WEC:
May 5 - Six Hours of Spa (Belgium)
June 3 - Le Mans Test Day (France)
Aug. 25 - Six Hours of Silverstone (UK)
Sept. 16 - Six Hours of Sao Paulo (Brazil)*
Sept. 30 - Six Hours of Mt. Fuji (Japan)
Oct. 20 - Six Hours of Bahrain (Bahrain)

DTM:
Lausitzring (D) 6th May
Red Bull Ring (A) 3 June
Circuit Park Zandvoort (NL) 26th August
Motorsport Arena Oschersleben (D) 16th September
Valencia (E)30th September
Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg (D)21st October

So it is unlikely Kristiensen will drive for them in DTM.

Anyway, here's the full 2012 calendar...

29.04.2012 Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg
06.05.2012 Lausitzring
20.05.2012 Brands Hatch
03.06.2012 Red Bull Ring Spielberg
01.07.2012 Norisring
15.07.2012 Show-Event Olympiastadion München**
19.08.2012 Nürburgring
26.08.2012 Circuit Park Zandvoort
16.09.2012 Motorsport Arena Oschersleben
30.09.2012 Valencia
21.10.2012 Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg

**This is not a championship race.

The calendar is yet to be approved by the FIA, so little changes might still happen.

Currently, all the things I know about BMW is that 3 teams will be competing which are Team Schnitzer, Team RBM and Reinhold Motorsport. Drivers confirmed driving for next year are Andy Priaulx, Augusto Farfus and Bruno Spengler.

Currently, all the things I know about BMW is that 3 teams will be competing which are Team Schnitzer, Team RBM and Reinhold Motorsport. Drivers confirmed driving for next year are Andy Priaulx, Augusto Farfus and Bruno Spengler.

This happened earlier in the week: http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=7044

As for Mercedes I don't expect they're worried, they have Green, Paffett and their are good drivers available, I'm sure they would be able to sign somebody like Nick Heidfeld or Alexandre Premat to fight for podiums, Audi have a load of drivers in sportscars who can be swapped around.

GOTMAXPOWER
This happened earlier in the week: http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=7044

As for Mercedes I don't expect they're worried, they have Green, Paffett and their are good drivers available, I'm sure they would be able to sign somebody like Nick Heidfeld or Alexandre Premat to fight for podiums, Audi have a load of drivers in sportscars who can be swapped around.

the sports car rounds clash with dtm. Premat is in WEC. Mercedes is in trouble

Glad that BMW are lining up a great squad of drivers, I can't wait for the season to start and am DEFINATLEY going to do the Brands Hatch round, even if the tickets are suprisingly expensive.

Glad that BMW are lining up a great squad of drivers, I can't wait for the season to start and am DEFINATLEY going to do the Brands Hatch round, even if the tickets are suprisingly expensive.

You get a lot for your money, I went to this seasons event, tonnes of races throughout Saturday and Sunday. Great spectacle.

Looking forward to seeing what Priaulx can do in a DTM car.

i dont think anything has been mentioned about Premat going to Toyota

I'll try to look things up before posting in the future! It was Lapierre who has gone to Toyota, Premat didn't which I guess opens him up to go to Mercedes, he is (one of the few available) proven talents in DTM and won't go to Audi because they fell out after his crash recovery consisted of running a marathon.

Edit: Another driver who has just come to mind is Nick Tandy, he's quick but has other options open; Porsche supercup, BTCC or he could get himself a drive in any of the endurance championships.

Just hoping ABT is having a run again. Would be glad to see my local team (well 20km from my hometown...but you get the idea) rocking the championship again.

The talent knocking at BMW's door relative to the Audi and Merc is downright unfair lololol.

It think its the company cars lolol.

“For those guys contracted to BMW Motorsport, everyone is trying to get onto the DTM program,” Rahal explained. “We'll see who's there and who isn't. We might find some guys over here, and be able to use someone as a third driver. But Christmas time will be a good idea.” -Bobby Rahal

so its true. Mueller and Werner are after those DTM seats.....i dont see why muller and werner won't get them. they're young and right quick. plus there German. They onlny have 1 other german driver. Tomcyk?

so its true. Mueller and Werner are after those DTM seats.....i dont see why muller and werner won't get them. they're young and right quick. plus there German. They onlny have 1 other german driver. Tomcyk?

Yeah as I've said before it is very likely for those 2 German ALMS driver to climb onto one of these BMW DTM cars. Both of them have Touring carracing experience and as you've said, there's no reason why they couldn't get the seat.

So far, the only German driver they have is Martin Tomczyk. However though, BMW seems to have the strongest grid of all. All four of the confirmed drivers have driven Touring car before with a whole lot of experience. One guy already a DTM world champion and another guy already a 2 times World Touring Car champion. It's a recipe for success though it depends on the car still whether it's going to be good or not in the first few races....

It couldn't get any hotter for next year! 👍

EDIT:

I almost forgot, Romain Grosjean is also knocking the door as he will test the car soon... But I'm afraid whether any of the BMW teams will take Romain because he doesn't have the experience of Touring Car like the rest of the BMW line up...

Grosjean does have GT experience though, competed in the 2010 FIA GT in a Ford GT, also raced at Le Mans that year as well. Won 2 races in GT in only half a season.

DTM is a GT series anyway, so Grosjean should have no problems.

I think you're right though. With the massive aero and chassis development and almost looking like a GT car, when think again Grosjean might not have a Touring car experience but I agree he's been pretty impressive in GT racing so he might fare well in the series if he is ever going to get a seat.

I wonder if these DTM cars are faster than the GT cars? The only thing Romain needs to get used to is the downforce and the 'Formula 1' like seating position...

I think you're right though. With the massive aero and chassis development and almost looking like a GT car, when think again Grosjean might not have a Touring car experience but I agree he's been pretty impressive in GT racing so he might fare well in the series if he is ever going to get a seat.

I wonder if these DTM cars are faster than the GT cars? The only thing Romain needs to get used to is the downforce and the 'Formula 1' like seating position...

DTM and Super GT are similar enough that I believe they have considered a link up in the past...

Yep, and also in 2013 there will be a North American DTM Series which is licensed and operated by NASCAR...

Was that not supposedly part of a possible link up with Grand-Am?

Yes mate, but as far as I know Grand-Am is under NASCAR. It's quite complicated but sure thing there will be a North American version of DTM in 2013...

i thought abt was R8 LMS ring runner at the N24?

Christian Abt is a driver, he's the co-owner of the team / car dealership. And a great guy btw.

However, ABT as a team has lots of drivers and I care about them, mostly. :D

Hope I didn't misunderstand you. :)

DTM and GT500 cars are indeed faster than the GT´s. Think LMP2 fast. They are very advanced aerodynamically, and they have low weight. IIRC a DTM car weighs in at 1050kg. Compare to the R8 LMS at 1340kg.

Latest Posts

Back