2012 Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix

• Thread starter joetoml1n
  • 933 comments
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire, England.
Round six of the 2012 Formula One Season is...

FORMULA 1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2012

The Monaco Grand Prix

Pole lap of the from the Circuit de Monaco, Monte Carlo. (Mark Webber, 2010)

Number of Laps: 78
Circuit Length: 3.340 km
Race Distance: 260 km
Lap Record: 1:14.439 (Michael Schumacher, Ferrari, 2004)

2011 Results:
1. Sebastian Vettel (Red Bull)
2. Fernando Alonso (Ferrari)
3. Jenson Button (McLaren)

2012 Drivers Championship Standings after five rounds (top ten only):
1 Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull Racing-Renault - 61
2 Fernando Alonso - Ferrari - 61
3 Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes - 53
4 Kimi Räikkönen - Lotus-Renault - 49
5 Mark Webber - Red Bull Racing-Renault - 48
6 Jenson Button - McLaren-Mercedes - 45
7 Nico Rosberg - Mercedes - 41
8 Romain Grosjean - Lotus-Renault - 35
9 Pastor Maldonado - Williams-Renault - 29
10 Sergio Perez - Sauber-Ferrari - 22

2012 Constructors Champion Standings after five rounds
1 Red Bull Racing-Renault - 109
2 McLaren-Mercedes - 98
3 Lotus-Renault - 84
4 Ferrari - 63
5 Mercedes - 43
6 Williams-Renault - 43
7 Sauber-Ferrari - 41
8 Force India-Mercedes - 18
9 STR-Ferrari - 6
10 Marussia-Cosworth - 0
11 Caterham-Renault - 0
12 HRT-Cosworth - 0

After five rounds, we have five different winners from five different teams. This is shaping up to be one of the best and the closest seasons for a long time.. Can they make it six out of six winners though..?

Last edited:
I'm excited, this is by far my most favorite track, I've actually driven around it myself. I'm hoping for a Hamilton win this weekend, but a win from Raikkonen would be more fun and keeps the streak going.

Never watched a Monaco race before, so I'm pretty pumped for this one. Hope another Team wins, if any of the so far non-winning teams have a chance then it's Lotus. Want Hamilton to get a 2nd or 3rd place finish and close the gap to the championship leaders.

I have absolutely no confidence in putting any names as to who will perform well this weekend. One thing for sure, considering that this season has been extremely close, this is going to be a real cracker! :D

This is going to be a great race. Hoping for 6 winners in a row to keep the championship interesting :P
BTW 100 posts!

It won't be 6 from 6 as Maldonado will win again...

Imagine the odds you'd have got at the start of the season on Maldonado being the first double winner!

If Hamilton can reproduce the same speed as in Barcelona he'll probably be on pole and win the GP, at least I hope he will, Alonso could also be a strong contender since he's so good in monaco and his ferrari seems to be a bit faster than it was at the start of the season.

I'll say
Hamilton
Alonso
Raikkonen

The way this season is going, I'm going to predict that we'll come crashing back down to earth with a dullard.

It's a green light for Williams this weekend. After the fire broke out last week at the Spanish GP, a lot of equipments were damaged and as I understand now, they've restocked all of the damaged equipments and will race with absolutely no problem...

No news whether Senna will race a new car or not.

I think this could be the race where Hamilton finally racks up his first win of the season... providing his team don't screw his weekend up again. I'm expecting the Renault duo to perform well too, I would be so happy to see Raikkonen get another podium this season! As usual for Monaco, qualifying should be very important (even more-so in comparison to the previous races this season) so I think it will perhaps be the most entertaining qualifying session this year.

The weather forecast isn't too bad:
QFTU0.png
... Hopefully we won't see drivers keeping tyres fresh for the race and actually going out and qualifying.

Hamilton was so quick in Barcelona. The announcers even said after about how if he had been fully fueled that he would still have been on pole due to the size of the gap between him and Maldonado. Hamilton's won at Monaco before so I wouldn't put it past him doing it. Its well known that Monaco is a near on impossible track to overtake on so a pole position or at least front row is extra important here and if Hamilton gets it then I could see him carrying it to the chequered flag. Providing the pit crew don't have any issues of course.

I hope that Button, Hamilton, Schumacher, Maldonado and Raikkonen can all do well here. Though it's Lewis that looks likely to storm away.

If he and the team avoid making any major mistakes, I would be shocked if Hamilton fails to win at Monaco but then again there are always the stewards waiting to spoil the party. :(

If he and the team avoid making any major mistakes, I would be shocked if Hamilton fails to win at Monaco but then again there are always the stewards waiting to spoil the party. :(

I think most of the decisions made in last year's race were reasonable. It may've looked like they were targeting Hamilton but he was probably just really frustrated.

I predict one of the Renault powered cars to win. The Renault engine has proved to be the most driveable out of low speed traction zones and gives the rear tyres an easier time, which will be key at this tight and twisty Monaco circuit.

I expect a close battle between the Red Bull and Lotus cars, with Maldonado in the mix aswell considering he's very good here.

Current weather forcast is:

60% chance of rain Thursday
40% chance of rain Saturday
60% chance of rain Sunday
about 20 celcius for all days.
I hope that means that at least one of the meaningful sessions (qually or race) with be in the wet, and if it is then I think hamilton will walk away with it (2008 anyone?).

Current weather forcast is:

60% chance of rain Thursday
40% chance of rain Saturday
60% chance of rain Sunday
about 20 celcius for all days.
I hope that means that at least one of the meaningful sessions (qually or race) with be in the wet, and if it is then I think hamilton will walk away with it (2008 anyone?).

LITERALLY just finished watching the 2008 race. Pulled out 36 seconds in the middle part of the race. That's a guy who is confident in the rain.

LITERALLY just finished watching the 2008 race. Pulled out 36 seconds in the middle part of the race. That's a guy who is confident in the rain.

After posting that I just went to watch it aswell. Brilliant drive, silverstone 2008 aswell he showed how good he is in the rain.

After posting that I just went to watch it aswell. Brilliant drive, silverstone 2008 aswell he showed how good he is in the rain.

I think he lapped all but 2 drivers in that race :D I hope if it is wet at the weekend it stays like that.

I'm hoping for a Grosjean win. That would mean 3 first time winners, 3 World Champion winners and 6 different cars.

My favorite race of the whole year. Hopefully it'll be 6-for-6, since I can't really say I have a driver to root for this year. :D

Back