2012 Grand Premio Petrobras do Brasil

• Thread starter Matty
  • 1,589 comments
No definitely not gone, just restricted use in practice and quali, the same as the race.

The Platypus noses should be gone though, yes.

As in gone. I thought I heard about DRS being gone earlier in the season (around the time of the Monaco GP I think). I'm asking again as I'm not sure if that was just speculation or was true.

It can only be used in the same area as the race. So it is restricted to the main straight (or two depending on track).

As for the platypus noses, they will still be there, but a piece of easily deformable bodywork can be fitted over them to 'smooth' them out.

As for the platypus noses, they will still be there, but a piece of easily deformable bodywork can be fitted over them to 'smooth' them out.

It's going to be very interesting how many teams will decide to use it. I definitely think there will be a couple of teams choosing not to and I am sure Red Bull will be one of them.

It can only be used in the same area as the race. So it is restricted to the main straight (or two depending on track).

Deformable? Does that mean Red Bull are going to find half a second from nowhere? :ouch: I actually started to like the different shape noses, the RB8 and the W03 had the best looking stepped noses in my opinion.

Yep. Just more weight to add on the car.

Well, no, because of the minimum weight regulation. The problem would be making the center of gravity higher, but that's not why I think Red Bull will decide against it. I think they will not use it because of their "cooling" slot.
I think the Lotus has the best nose. I loved looking at that car from any angle.

Honestly, I like the Red Bull nose. It looks more discrete to me than the other ones.

2014_sideelev.jpg

Back to the mid 80's early 90's!

I'm liking the sound of the new front wings. Ditching the snow plows for front wings like the senna days is definitely a positive in my books.

I actually thought that, livery non withstanding, the McLaren at Australia and Malaysia looked the best. Then they raised it and then the lotus, mainly on Livery became my favourite.

Worst one? Probably Sauber, due to the Chelsea flag :dopey:

2014_sideelev.jpg

Back to the mid 80's early 90's!

Looking at that picture, the first F1 cars that immediately comes to mind are these two:

dep0807ja01.jpg

redbullrb04-6.jpg

So from my understanding of that drawing, we are essentially getting regs where the 2014 F1 cars will keep the current tall wings, but with Lower noses like 2008 and I guess the 80s and 90s?

We can only hope Alonso will have it so easy.

Though if Ferrari start him out in a car that's worse than the Caterham and we watch him drive it to first place every other race, I wouldn't complain.

Massa drove better at the end because the car was much better. Massa never adapted to the crappy Ferrari, so when Ferrari made it driveable again, he got better. Alonso worked hard to adapt his driving style to the twitchy pig the Ferrari was at first, then had to adapt back.

We can only hope Alonso will have it so easy.

Though if Ferrari start him out in a car that's worse than the Caterham and we watch him drive it to first place every other race, I wouldn't complain.

Massa drove better at the end because the car was much better. Massa never adapted to the crappy Ferrari, so when Ferrari made it driveable again, he got better. Alonso worked hard to adapt his driving style to the twitchy pig the Ferrari was at first, then had to adapt back.

So both Ferrari drivers have problems to adapt? Massa maybe so, Alonso not. The car was developed with drivers so at the end of season they both knew the style good.

I would love to see Massa win a DWC. But I can't see that happening unless Alonso has terrible luck at start of season and Massa has a great start.

I don't see Massa winning much of anything as long as him and Alonso are on the same team.

It would be a difficult decision to make for Ferrari if Massa outperforms Alonso in the first few races of next year, if they decided to put most of the effort into Massa then I think Alonso would kick up a fuss like he did in 2007. It could easily cost Ferrari any chance of a title in 2013.

It would be a difficult decision to make for Ferrari if Massa outperforms Alonso in the first few races of next year, if they decided to put most of the effort into Massa then I think Alonso would kick up a fuss like he did in 2007. It could easily cost Ferrari any chance of a title in 2013.

I dont think it will be difficult for Ferrari. It's probably stated in Massa contract that Alonso is n°1 no matter what. They place the money on Alonso, Massa is just here because they need a 2nd pilot that dont mind beeing told what he have to do.

I disagree, I think Massa will continue his current form and it will be equal opportunity until one of them is clearly the best chance to be champion. But I hope Alonso continues to be awesome.

HRT have missed the entry deadline for 2013, which means that there may be an adjustment to qualifying for knockout positions, does anyone remember the tier sizes for a previous 22 car field? Will it be one of:
5-7-10 (no real change)
6-6-10
7-7-8
(Q1-Q2-Q3)

If they go for more than five knockouts in Q1, it should add a little spice to the 6 backmarkers + 1 'bubble' that we've had in recent years.

So if HRT don't make it that will mean two spare team slots on the grid, who is likely to fill them in the next 2/3 years? None of the names bandied around in the last few years has been serious enough since that 13th slot has always been there, now there might be another.

VW keep saying no to adding any of their brands, Prodrive is one that has been umming and ahhing but now seems to be no go. Maybe Mr Slim will create or buy his own team.

Well that's kinda what I was getting at, now we've got two spare slots and there doesn't seem to be any prospect of them being filled. Obviously F1 will be fine with 'only' 22 cars but surely Bernie would rather there were 26.

Unless there is a buyout/takeover of HRT I can't see us getting any new teams next season but 2014 with the new regs seems more likely.

The only way anyone new was going to come in was if they could have bought the assets of an existing team. But HRT do not have many assets beyond their cars and their un-finished base in Spain.
They out-sourced the design and construction of the car so there is nothing of value for anyone to buy and use setting up a new team.

This team was on life-support from day 1 when the original Campos team couldn't afford to pay Dallara to finish the car and continue developing it. Since then it has basically just run the same car with minimal updates to keep it in line with the regulations.

Back