2012 GT Academy Racing Updates & News - CLOSED

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 241 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sean Johnston is at Mosport this weekend for the GT3 Cup series. So far he is quickest in the first practice session. He just posted this video for all to see. Enjoy. :)

Awesome videos Bryan! Thank you for sharing them with us! sucks about Watkins, you guys had a hell of a race going only to find a lost driver asking for directions in the middle of the track... Hope you can get a good result at Indy!

Sean is starting P1 at Mosport with a new track record. :)

Anyone else racing this weekend? Don't want to leave anyone out....

Isn't Jann doing the Spa 24?

Edit: ^^ That's next week you dummy!

Last edited:
Yeah I forgot to update that.

Anyone that has access to Speed2.com, the Continental Tire race from Indianapolis is live in roughly 40 minutes. (12:51pm EST)

Edit: Bryan had a spin on the first lap. :(

Last edited:
Yeah I forgot to update that.

Anyone that has access to Speed2.com, the Continental Tire race from Indianapolis is live in roughly 40 minutes. (12:51pm EST)

Edit: Bryan had a spin on the first lap. :(

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

Superpole got cancelled for the Spa 24, they'll be using the times from yesterday so it looks like Jann's car will be starting from 14th!

Quick update: When the first caution came out Bryan came in and topped up the fuel tank. On the second caution, they stayed out when several others pitted which got them back into the top 10. Now the race is under red flag for a huge rain downpour and standing water on the track. They came down and changed to rain tires and BJ got in the car, now they are sitting in 2nd place with roughly 40 minutes remaining.

Great job using pit strategy and Bryan driving hard to get them back to the top.

Also, that spin was caused by another car. 👎

Edit: Red flag away, cars rolling under caution now.

Edit: Well they were in 1st place but decided to pit for slicks with 20 minutes to go. Unfortunately a bunch of cars stayed out on wets, even though the track was dry. An incident ahead of them allowed them to get up to 10th, and that's where they'll finish.

If it were up to me I would have stayed out on the wets. I think the Z would have been better than the Camaros & Mustangs in the dry on wet tires. But it's not up to me, so... :lol:

Last edited:
Oh man! Sucks to see them loose the race because of a yellow flag! I hate that about american racing, the smallest incident and out comes the pace car...

Jav
Oh man! Sucks to see them loose the race because of a yellow flag! I hate that about american racing, the smallest incident and out comes the pace car...

Well Grand Am is run by NASCAR, so what do you expect. :crazy:

Well Grand Am is run by NASCAR, so what do you expect. :crazy:

Lol! Yeah, but I mean even on the CART days it was like that! I remember Gil de Ferran winning like 3 straight races at Portland because he was the only guy not saving fuel! He was all out all race long and everyone else would be saving fuel and banking on a yellow that never came. It was that rare not to see a yellow that every team out there would base a whole race weekend strategy arround yellow flags...

Saw that today.

Also:

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-team-usa-scholarship-candidates-announced/

What do IndyCar race winners-turned-team owners Jimmy Vasser and Bryan Herta, Indianapolis 500 winner Buddy Rice, American Le Mans Series Champion Joey Hand and Grand-Am Rolex Series Champion Andy Lally have in common with rising stars such as Charlie Kimball, J.R. Hildebrand, Josef Newgarden, Bryan Sellers, Conor Daly, Connor De Phillippi and Spencer Pigot?

They are all former winners of prestigious Team USA Scholarships which since 1990 have provided opportunities for young American race car drivers to display their talents on an international stage early in their careers.

The quest to see who will follow in their footsteps continues next weekend during the combined IZOD IndyCar Series/American Le Mans Series Presented by Tequila Patron event at Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, where more than a dozen candidates will be interviewed by an illustrious panel of judges.

The candidates will vie for three fully funded rides in England later this year. Two youngsters will be entered under the Team USA Scholarship/Cliff Dempsey Racing banner in the Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch on October 27-28 and the Walter Hayes Trophy at Silverstone on November 3-4, while one slightly more experienced driver will be invited to contest the final two rounds of the Formula Renault BARC Championship at Silverstone on October 6-7.

This year’s contenders are:

• Neil Alberico, 19, from Redlands, Calif. – Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda
  • Luigi Biangardi, 16, from Chicago, Ill. – Cooper Tires USF2000 Championship Powered by Mazda (one pole)
  • Matthew Brabham, 18, from Manalapan, Fla. – Cooper Tires USF2000 Powered by Mazda (one win, three poles)
  • Tristan DeGrand, 16, from Eureka, Mo. – Skip Barber Racing Summer Series race winner
  • Jake Eidson, 17, from Littleton, Colo. – Skip Barber Winter Series champion and Summer Series points leader)
  • Conner Ford, 16, from Carson City, Nev. – Pacific Formula F Super Series (six wins)
  • Sean Johnston, 21, from Mt. Shasta, Calif. – IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge points leader (two wins, two poles)
  • Bobby Kelley, 20, from Riverside, Calif. – Pacific F2000 points leader (three wins, two poles)
  • Jack Mitchell Jr., 16, from Clarendon Hills, Ill. – Skip Barber Summer Series (three wins)/Canadian F1600 (one win)
  • Brandon Newey, 19, from Carmel, Ind. – F1600 Championship Series points leader (two wins)
  • Tristan Nunez, 16, from Boca Raton, Fla. – Cooper Tires Prototype Lites points leader (six wins, seven poles)
  • Adrian Starrantino, 17, from Simi Valley, Calif. – Skip Barber Summer Series (three wins)
  • Colin Thompson, 18, from Perkasie, Pa. – Cooper Tires USF2000/F1600 Championship Series (one win)
  • Falco Wauer, 16, lives Drobak, Norway – UK Formula 4 (five wins)/European Formula Ford

You're welcome, it was a fantastic video so I figured it was worth being posted.

Sean Johnston, 21, from Mt. Shasta, Calif. – IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge points leader (two wins, two poles)

Yeah. I live like 40 minutes from him. Did not realise that till just now... Shows how good the local news is...

Good 10th place finish for Bryan at Sonoma! Coverage and the announcers really sucked, hopefully they'll edit and do a better job for the TV broadcast!
Congratz on a strong finish Bryan!

Jav
Good 10th place finish for Bryan at Sonoma! Coverage and the announcers really sucked, hopefully they'll edit and do a better job for the TV broadcast!
Congratz on a strong finish Bryan!

I love the main commentator, met him at Mosport and easily one of the coolest guys I've ever met. Loves and knows his racing to.

Sean did it, his back to back wins at VIR last weekend secured him the championship in the GT3 Cup Platinum class! Congrats Sean!

http://imsachallenge.com/news/sean-johnston-clinches-the-platinum-cup-championship-at-vir

Young Star Steals The Limelight and Platinum Cup Championship in First Year of Competition

Alton, VA, Sept. 15, 2012--It was the right ending to what has truly been a "Cinderella Story" today at the close of IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge by Yokohama competition at Virginia International Raceway.

Twenty-one-year-old Sean Johnston stepped onto the top spot of the Platinum Cup Podium this afternoon with the knowledge that he was not only a GT3 Cup race winner--he was truly a Champion of the sport.

In a battle of numbers and odds, the Wright Motorsports pilot captured yet another BBS Pole Award and his fourth consecutive race victory. The California native held off championship rivals and teammates Madison Snow and Fernando Pena to provisionally clinch the Platinum Cup Championship in only his first year of on-track competition. Final results will be released on Monday, but no changes are currently anticipated by IMSA Officials.

Snow proved that he could tame the 3.27-mile fast track to the podium today by taking his fourth consecutive second place podium finish. With 189 total points leading into the Petit Le Mans weekend coming up at Road Atlanta, he leads Pena by 10 points, ensuring that the Platinum battle will continue to wage moving into the last race of the year.

The No. 20 car of Sloan Urry and TruSpeed Motorsports found their rhythm through the high speed esses of VIR, and chose to challenge the veteran wiles of Pena as the two ran bumper to bumper in an all out war for fourth position through much of the race.

Urry's teammate Miles Maroney played it cool while the skirmish played out just behind behind him and remained consistent to take the final spot on the Platinum podium.

A late race spin due to the dogfight with Urry ultimately settled Pena just outside the podium in fourth, but still well in contention for second place in the overall Championship with 179 points.

Having already provisionally clinched the Gold Cup Championship, Ansa Motorsports' Angel Benitez, Jr., had to find another goal today and he was not merely content to win yet another consecutive race.

The young Venezuelan driver poured on the speed in his quest to take the win, and collected yet another Official race lap record to prove that there was still more to accomplish after his recent success.

Scott Tucker of Level 5 Motorsports and the No. 12 Norton by Symantec Porsche 911 of David Calvert-Jones locked horns to contend for the last two positions on the Gold podium. Calvert-Jones was able to sneak his Competition Motorsports entry under Tucker and held him off in the final laps to take second place and build a 23-point lead over Melanie Snow in the overall points with 156 to his credit.

Tucker, who started 18th on the grid, ran a truly impressive race, slicing his way through the competition to firmly establish himself on the podium in third, which earned him the Yokohama Hard Charger Award for improving the most positions.

NGT Motorsports Pilot Henrique Cisneros joined his compatriots at the podium ceremony following the race to be justly rewarded for his BBS Pole position for the start of today's GT3 Cup competition.

IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge by Yokohama drivers and participants are looking forward to culminating the season at Road Atlanta on October 17-20.

Sean Johnston, Platinum Cup Provisional Champion, Race Winner, Wright Motorsports:

“There just isn’t enough time and words to thank all the people who have helped me get here. The overwhelming feeling of gratitude is so humbling right now. I’ve got tears in my eyes just thinking about where I was a year ago and where I am now. I never dreamed that we would be able to do this in our first season and I certainly never expected it, and to be here now is just so humbling and grateful. It’s pretty remarkable.

I don’t know know what's next, but I am sure everyone will be finding out in the next few months. We are working on it right now and we are not sure yet. I love Porsche and I love the GT3 Cup Car and I would love to continue to be a part of their brand.”

Hi Guys, my name is Hugo Gonçalves and i was 3rd place in European Gt Academy 2012.

I was one of the best contenders all the week but everything went wrong to me in the final race...

Anyway i've been pushing hard to find sponsors and now a big compay has shown some interest in me.

I need to increase my facebook page, i need more likes to show them i'm recognized and known in the gamer's world.

If you could please help to "spread the word" and try to get more likes in my facebook page, maybe GTPlanet can be helping another gamer to become racer.

facebook.com/HugoAraujoRacingPage

Cheers mates, and thanks in advance!

Done. Wish you all the luck, hope you keep on chasing your dream, that's the only way to make it real. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back