2012 Moto3/Moto2/MotoGP Thread

• Thread starter Tom
  • 708 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could anyone see Vale going back to being Lorenzo's team mate?

Yeah I could see that but the chance is pretty slim though. I have a feeling that Ben's going to stay in Yamaha for quite some time. The only way for him to stay in MotoGP is to either stay in the ''unrideable'' Ducati and hope it gets better or move to some other privateer which I also doubt will happen.

@ all 3 last posts

The vale issue is gvoing to be a diffcult one simply like you all said, the Honda Team is full of potential and with Mark Marquez bucking in tha stable they would have to go back to a 3 bike team to fit everyone. This Honda situation will be a difficult one by the end of this season, because Mark is going to be getting offers like crazy, and dani still has front-running pace. Vale could end up back with Factory Yamaha if Ben doesn't find pace this year.

A few things that need to be clarified.
The only reason Spies was useless in the race was due to his 2 crashes in practice; he was racing with a bent chassis!
Rossi would always go back to riding the Yamaha but he had a problem being beaten by his team mate.
Marc Marquez will eventually go into the Repsol Honda team but in his first Moto gp season he can't be in a factory team; and there is a new rule limiting all factory teams to 2 bikes, so they may have to get rid of Dani which isn't out of the question since Honda pushed and pushed Dorna to move to 800cc to help Dani and his small stature and he still hasn't won the championship. Of course with Stoner now I dont know what they will do with Dani since they have the championship.

Well if that's the case with the rules then Alvaro B will be needing another seat next year because surely they will put Mark Marquez on the Grensini Honda Bike then.. Ben's my boy, so I'm glad to hear we was riding a bent bike, but If vale is looking for a ride next year all the good teams are full at the moment (especially with mark graduating next year), so I still think Ben Spies will be the target. If vale doesn't want to go back with Factory Yamaha then he might as well stay with Ducati!

Wow I can't believe this thread exists here. Many junior observers here too from the comments, its good to see the sports popularity growing, even if the comments aren't on the money (eg. Rossi has no opportunity to return Yamaha, according to Yamaha).

I've been watching MotoGP since 2003, saw the rise and fall and rise again of Valentino, big fan, being Australian, my less enthusiastic countryman always say 'how can you like Rossi and not Stoner?', but Stoner really wasn't anyone to me until 2006/07 and by then I was heavily watching Rossi for 5 years, so I wasn't just going to switch over with the snap of a finger.

I would say the battles between Stoner and Lorenzo last year and this year, are nothing to the ones of 2007/08 between Rossi and Stoner, so I think the next few years won't be that great, CRTs aren't helping either.

There's plenty of potential talent in the future, and even right now in GP, but some of the older riders need to move on, and considering there isn't anywhere for him to go, I would have to add Rossi to that list, unless he could get a satellite Honda, that might be interesting, but there's no knowing if he'll keep going here, he's done his due, he'll likely be remembered as the greatest rider of all time (even more than Agostini, just), so any further achievements, even 1-2 more championships, wouldn't mean anything at this point (but he would still get paid, not that he'd need the money necessarily).

Motogp bikes getting crazy fast again. Fastest along Losail's back straight was an incredible 212mph/342kph. Last year as 800s they were hitting 200mph/321kph. I think at Catalunya or Mugello the 216mph record will go.

Selected MotoGP qualifying times from Jerez:

1. Jorge Lorenzo (Spa) Yamaha 1 min 39.532 secs

2. Dani Pedrosa (Spa) Honda 1:39.667

3. Nicky Hayden (US) Ducati 1:40.563

4. Cal Crutchlow (GB) Yamaha 1:40.570

5. Casey Stoner (Aus) Honda 1:40.577

6. Ben Spies (US) Yamaha 1:41.090

7. Andrea Dovizioso (Ita) Yamaha 1:41.180

8. Alvaro Bautista (Spa) Honda 1:41.447

9. Stefan Bradl (Ger) Honda 1:41.550

10. Randy De Puniet (Fra) ART 1:41.700

13. Valentino Rossi (Ita) Ducati 1:42.961

O' Vale. What is going on. :confused:

Yeah indeed!! Vale,whats happening mate???

In free practice i had good hopes after him being on good pace,but this is awefull,look at where his team mate stands...

But we've seen him doing magic before during the race,so lets hope he can produce tomorrow!

Spy.

Seriously...being 2.5 seconds off of your team mates pace at this level is an absolute eternity. I wonder what happened..

Seriously...being 2.5 seconds off of your team mates pace at this level is an absolute eternity. I wonder what happened..

The Ducati suits an aggressive riding style, which we know Hayden has. However, Valentino has a more calculated, smooth and controlled style, which is why the Yamaha suited him. Valentino just can't seem to gel with the bike at the moment which is the main attribute to his lack of pace.

Well, moto3 was crazy... I'd like to leave a couple words about the marshals at Jerez:

1 - they generally did an awesome job at getting more than 15 crashes off the track. Seriously, some of the bikes were on the road and they ran out there to get them out without the need for a red flag. Thumbs up. That being said...

2 - When 44 Miguel Oliveira fell off the lead, he picked it up, wanted and apparently could return to the race, but they had none of it, taking his bike off the track while he complained. However, when his team mate 42 Alex Rins fell, they ran and pushed him back on the track in a hurry. It was pretty reckless how they pushed him across the track in front of the oncoming pack, no time to check if the bike was in proper running order, they just wanted to get the spaniard back in the race. Which he did, in the group fighting for 2nd and thus making an excellent race.

I guess that dispite last years Rossi/Stoner incident, in Jerez is still ok for marshals to give some extra help to a rider if they like him.

Kudos to the marshals, great job. Did you see Jakub's save and crash in Moto3? Moto2 was equally as good. MotoGP should be a treat if this rain continues.

That save was monumental and deserved better luck in the end.

Moto2 was a great race. Too bad it didn't go all the way without rain so we could get a coulpe more laps of fun.

Edit:
MotoGP was an awesome "in your face" :-)

Last edited:
This may be slight bias towards my fellow Brit but Cal Crutchlow; what a boy! On a satellite bike to be less than 3 seconds off the win is phenomenal. Well done to Stoner though to beat those Spaniards. Looking forward to next weekend now.

This may be slight bias towards my fellow Brit but Cal Crutchlow; what a boy! On a satellite bike to be less than 3 seconds off the win is phenomenal. Well done to Stoner though to beat those Spaniards. Looking forward to next weekend now.

Nope. Not bias, accurate. That was an awesome performance from him 👍

Race is stll commencing for me, but it looks like stoner is shooting his tires off again, and Jorge will take advantage

Disappointed Yamaha cannot provide Spies a new bike

I firmly believe Yamaha built 4 bikes, 2 each for Spies and Lorenzo. Spies wrecked both of his in Qatar to the point where he did unfixable damage to the chassis. Yamaha won't let him ride Lorenzo's backup as Yamaha will not have it's championship contender be without a good backup bike. So Spies has raced both rounds with a damaged, unstable bike.

Again, the above is just my opinion. Spies most likely had orders from Yamaha not to tell the entire truth about the situation, as it's embarrassing a factory team cannot supply both it's riders good bikes

Hopefully Yamaha builds a new bike soon and gets Spies back up to speed.

Ah, the life of a #2 rider/driver in European racing

Disappointed Yamaha cannot provide Spies a new bike

I firmly believe Yamaha built 4 bikes, 2 each for Spies and Lorenzo. Spies wrecked both of his in Qatar to the point where he did unfixable damage to the chassis. Yamaha won't let him ride Lorenzo's backup as Yamaha will not have it's championship contender be without a good backup bike. So Spies has raced both rounds with a damaged, unstable bike.

Again, the above is just my opinion. Spies most likely had orders from Yamaha not to tell the entire truth about the situation, as it's embarrassing a factory team cannot supply both it's riders good bikes

Hopefully Yamaha builds a new bike soon and gets Spies back up to speed.

Ah, the life of a #2 rider/driver in European racing

So whats the take on him getting a new ride soon? Is this a year season log issue, or just a partial season issue? At this point in MotoGp there are more good riders, than teams so,.... well you know'

Ah well, we nearly had a motocycle race, but alass, yet again we were robbed.

I think the real star for that race was Cal Crutchlow, well sort of, he did some very very dodgey moves on many riders out there, not good sportsmanship, but it didn't affect them that badly, he'll likely crash in one of the next two races, and rightly so. Still, if he plays more cleanly, he might very well take Spies job.

It's a pity Lorenzo didn't have a slightly harder compound than Stoner, if he did, those last 7-8 laps (whatever it was), would've been much more interesting.

EDIT: Did I say 'more' interesting? I meant interesting period, as it wasn't interesting the way it was.

Last edited:
I found myself becoming very bored with the MotoGP race yesterday. Never quite lives up to expectations. Amazing performance from Cal, I'm hoping he can get a podium next time out in Estoril. One thing that's been plauging my mind is, if Spies continues to dwindle and Rossi becomes increasingly more frustrated with the Ducati, could you see Rossi making a mid-season move back to Yamaha or maybe Cal taking the second Factory seat with Spies going back to Tech 3. Thoughts?

Tom
I found myself becoming very bored with the MotoGP race yesterday. Never quite lives up to expectations. Amazing performance from Cal, I'm hoping he can get a podium next time out in Estoril. One thing that's been plauging my mind is, if Spies continues to dwindle and Rossi becomes increasingly more frustrated with the Ducati, could you see Rossi making a mid-season move back to Yamaha or maybe Cal taking the second Factory seat with Spies going back to Tech 3. Thoughts?

Not possible, Yamaha have said they won't have him back, so it's not even an option for him to return (he could, funnily enough, take Cal Crutchlow's bike, if Crutchlow takes Spies or is kicked), and despite having improved times and what not, all he would really be doing there is taking points away from Jorge, so your concerns aren't necessary.

This Rossi stuff has been discussed before. He can only go up, he can't afford to go down. Therefore, the only way I see is for him to go to SBK. Otherwise, he may retire..

The way this is going; Cal up to the factory team with Jorge, Dovi stays put and is joined by Bradley Smith (already a done deal before you ask) and Spies is left needing to find a ride elsewhere. Far too early in the season to discuss this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back