2012 Singapore F1 Grand Prix

• Thread starter niky
  • 553 comments
...Don't think it's been mentioned yet but the Jenson/Seb safety car incident is being investigated by the stewards. Could Vettel be looking at a penalty of some sort?

...Don't think it's been mentioned yet but the Jenson/Seb safety car incident is being investigated by the stewards. Could Vettel be looking at a penalty of some sort?

Don't think so, in the post race interview Jenson joked it away and they weren't affected at all.

Today's race, in three-word reviews:

Vettel - Karma, lucky, speedy
Button - Solid points score
Alonso - Consistent drive again

Others

Massa - Surprise! Talent returned
Maldonado - Unlucky to retire
Schumacher - Ach! Mein gott!
Di Resta - Another good drive
Hamilton - Fast, terrible luck
Grosjean - Showed good pace
Perez - Unusual mistakes made
Webber - Fairly average race

Never mind, It's just been announced that no further action will be taken...

Just as I was getting my hopes up that Jenson would miraculously be promoted to first place. :P

A3fg2d7CQAEQKl4.jpg:large

Personally, I think Vettel kinda just wasn't really thinking straight at that point. I mean, Vettel didn't actually need to slow right down at that point, just when Jenson was getting to accelerate. Normally, from what I've seen, there is a rhythm to the driver's tyre warm up procedure. Vettel's, at that point, seemed to deviate from his normal pattern which I assume meant that Jenson wasn't expecting at all.

If it was Vettel's normal rhythm to do heavy braking at that point of the apex, then Jenson would have already known that and not had accelerated as much as he had done and steered away from the apex, or been further back.

I think Vettel kinda knew what he was doing and was pushing the boundaries a bit, for whatever reason.

Here's hoping for a nice clean next race. Talking about the next race, I thought it was in Fuji? I thought Suzuka and Fuji alternated?

Here's hoping for a nice clean next race. Talking about the next race, I thought it was in Fuji? I thought Suzuka and Fuji alternated?

They were meant to.

Fuji pulled out of the deal in 2009 I think.

Sigh. What's the point? The drivers can't even race anymore.

That's a bit of an overreaction, considering the passes we saw from people like Vettel and Massa today. Webber was entirely off the circuit during his move.

Mark won't be too happy I suppose.

Probably not, but they've been throwing around penalties left, right and centre all year, and for the most part they've been justified. I don't think penalties have got any harsher as such, it's just that more people seem to be pushing the rules these days.

That, and the tracks allow for it more. On an old circuit, if you went outside track boundaries you got stuck in gravel. On an old street circuit, you immediately clouted a barrier.

Now, even street circuits have areas of run-off - denoted by all the tarmac'd white lines at Singapore - where in the past that track limit would have been a barrier. Massa wouldn't have made his move stick either in the old days, to be fair.

That's a bit of an overreaction, considering the passes we saw from people like Vettel and Massa today. Webber was entirely off the circuit during his move.

Webber was barely outside the line with all four wheels and Kobayashi was barely inside the line with all four wheels.

I know we don't have telemetry and all camera angles like the stewards, but it looked like a fair overtake to me. Webber tried to stay on the track, unlike Vettel in Germany.

Whatever.

Anyway, what's even worse is that they decided to push this investigation until after the race.

By the way, Massa had all his wheels over the white line in the chicane before his overtake on Senna.

How so? He didn't cross any lines or run wide in his move on Senna.

Apart from to set it up - coming out of the previous corner he took a chunk off the corner, with his outside wheels only just on the line. He'd not have been able to make the move had there been a barrier there instead, as he'd not have got the same drive he did from semi-cutting the corner.

Check how much he cuts inside the curb on the left-hander at 0:16-0:17, on the on-board shot:

I don't mean to take anything away from his car control during the actual pass, but he'd not have even been in that position had there been a barrier on the inside of the previous turn. He was two wheels away from being penalised like Webber.

Probably not, but they've been throwing around penalties left, right and centre all year, and for the most part they've been justified. I don't think penalties have got any harsher as such, it's just that more people seem to be pushing the rules these days.

That, and the tracks allow for it more. On an old circuit, if you went outside track boundaries you got stuck in gravel. On an old street circuit, you immediately clouted a barrier.

Now, even street circuits have areas of run-off - denoted by all the tarmac'd white lines at Singapore - where in the past that track limit would have been a barrier. Massa wouldn't have made his move stick either in the old days, to be fair.

I agree most, if not all, of the penalties have been justified. I actually think any annoyance from Mark will come from the fact that he had such a below-par race that this will just seem like a slap in the face to him. 👍

That Overtake was stunning ,loved how Massa's car control ,Not his biggest fan but I applauded when he did it .

zippy_the_cat
Clean. Two wheels on the track.

I wasn't saying it wasn't clean - try and find where I said it wasn't :rolleyes: I wish people would actually read what people say, rather than what they want to read.

What I said was that in the old days, that white line that he half crossed would have been a barrier, so he wouldn't have been able to take that line, and wouldn't have made that pass.

I agree most, if not all, of the penalties have been justified. I actually think any annoyance from Mark will come from the fact that he had such a below-par race that this will just seem like a slap in the face to him. 👍

That's probably more likely. It was a pretty average race for him, but hey - better to have your bad luck in an already-average race than if you finish 1st...

Last edited:
Driver of the Day has to be Felipe Massa.

Shame about Hamilton's and Maldonado's DNF

Vettel was there to take it from Ham

Button was uninspired

Can't ask more from Alonso.

Great job from diResta, mixed up there with the big boys.

Kimi was so-so, not because of his finishing position, but because he got soundly beaten in quali by Grosjean and then needed team orders to finish ahead of his young team mate.

Poor Pastor Fastornado. Looked really good early on and showed real maturity until he hit bad luck. Hope he continues this form from the last two weeks in Japan/Korea. 👍

Massa on Senna. :crazy: 👍

Back