2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 721 comments
United Kingdom
Warwick Uni
lbsf1 GTP_lbsf1
obsmu (my brothers acount)
The most famous and historic grand prix is upon us, the track is completely different to any other on the calendar posing unique challenges to the teams, thus bringing lots on unpredictability. Start your Engines, its the Monaco Grand Prix.

2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco
RMark-Webber-Red-Bull-leads-Hairpin-Monaco_2771969.jpg

Race Date: 26 May 2013
Circuit Name: Circuit de Monaco
First Grand Prix: 1950
Number of Laps: 78
Circuit Length: 3.340 km
Race Distance: 260.520 km
Lap Record: 1:14.439 - M Schumacher (2004)
2012 Race Winner: Mark Webber (Red Bull)

2a2rdv.png

Enjoy

Last edited:
Pirelli say 2 stops but that probably means Lotus will 1 stop and I believe that the Lotus has very good mechanical grip so they should be fast aswell around this circuit, a Mercedes car on pole and a Kimi win.

I doubt Lotus will be able to pull off a one-stop strategy. Even if they could, it wouldn't be worth it. They don't have a decent qualifying car, so a one-stop probably wouldn't push them up the field.

Monaco being a slow speed track with lots of short straights though means that the cars are going to spin up the rears under acceleration lots and thus the whole thermal degradation issue. Whilst pirelli will obviously have taken this into account I think we will be surprised on how quickly the rears will go off.

Okay? Was there a point to this?

If it was Monaco then it would have some relevance, however by the look of the road markings then it looks like the road cars drove on the left and thus the probably would be Adelaide. (Australians drive on the left and its a street circuit.)

Mercedes to lock out the front row and then we'll get a Hamilton/Rosberg train going after about lap 3. :D

Monaco doesn't destroy tires that fast...so I don't see any reason why there would be a train of cars. People seem to see a few people say that and perpetuate it, reason would suggest that if the track isn't going to harm their wear, they could push from the start. Spain had a train due to Nico not having the ability to push and having to save tires half way into lap one onward. It would be a much better if Nico and Lewis pushed from lap one to put distance on the rest of the pack and then pit as needed, then make up the gap again with sheer speed, like Ferrari did to Lotus last week.

Yet people will keep that train comment going for a quick laugh it seems.

1968 Grand Prix of Monaco

Graham-Hill-Monaco-1968.jpg

100 laps x 1.98 mile circuit = 198 miles

One stop Lotus?

20120507122124_00099_-_graham_hill_-_lotus_49b_-_monaco_1968.jpg

Oops, wrong decade.

Last edited:
I love how there's people either side of the road, completely unprotected, as the cars race by them. Monaco should be a great race, the circuit is one of my favourite.

I love how there's people either side of the road, completely unprotected, as the cars race by them. Monaco should be a great race, the circuit is one of my favourite.

Remember how there also used to be nothing stopping the cars from falling in the water at the good ol' days...

Monaco doesn't destroy tires that fast.

It's hard on the rear tyres due to the repeated low-speed acceleration and the generally green track (remember that the track re-opens to the public on Friday which leads to it getting quite dirty prior to qualifying on Saturday).
Even in the Bridgestone days you could get rear graining fairly early as I seem to remember happening in 2009.

If it was Monaco then it would have some relevance, however by the look of the road markings then it looks like the road cars drove on the left and thus the probably would be Adelaide. (Australians drive on the left and its a street circuit.)

That's St Devote? Quite a bit away from Australia. Its a pretty distinctive corner and I don't recall anywhere in Adelaide looking like that (with the curve and the close barrier on the corner entry looking like that).

All hail the true master of Monaco. ;)

It is Sainte Devote. The picture posted by Pupik is very interesting, that bridge is a railway one and where now the Hotel exists was formerly the railway station.

That's St Devote? Quite a bit away from Australia. Its a pretty distinctive corner and I don't recall anywhere in Adelaide looking like that (with the curve and the close barrier on the corner entry looking like that).

My experience of Adelaide is limited to rfactor and TOCA3 and there are various points where you are right on the barriers in both those versions on the track, hence my reasoning for Adelaide as a possibility.

They don't drive on the left in France and the road markings in the pic seem to indicate the left most lane turning left (hence the traffic travelling on the left.) and thus I didn't think it was Monaco. In Australia they do drive on the left and apart from the UK very few other countries do.

Fair enough If I'm wrong, I lack experience of many tracks, however I just want to share my reasons for thinking what I did.

Yeah but the clue is in the background, the road is clearly bending quite a bit (relative to Mansell's Williams) which is very much of Monaco. Adelaide generally has straight sections of road near most of the right hand corners that could possibly look like that.

Monaco doesn't destroy tires that fast...so I don't see any reason why there would be a train of cars. People seem to see a few people say that and perpetuate it, reason would suggest that if the track isn't going to harm their wear, they could push from the start. Spain had a train due to Nico not having the ability to push and having to save tires half way into lap one onward. It would be a much better if Nico and Lewis pushed from lap one to put distance on the rest of the pack and then pit as needed, then make up the gap again with sheer speed, like Ferrari did to Lotus last week.

Yet people will keep that train comment going for a quick laugh it seems.

Mercedes seem to have the fastest car over one lap, yet the worst tire wear out of the top teams. As Ardius pointed out, Monaco is hard on the rears, and I remember the rears being the problem for Mercedes. So reason would suggest that the best strategy for Mercedes would be to lock out the front row and maintain track position through tire conservation. Going 110% and pitting as needed won't work at Monaco, everyone else is too close in terms of race pace and Mercedes aren't so much faster that they can build a buffer early on and pit with breathing room to spare. I'd love to be proven wrong, but choosing to maintain position is the most logical option for Mercedes. Many a true word is spoken in jest and all that...

If they kept the Gasmometer Hairpin the modern cars would actually have one corner where they could overtake. :lol:

With such little fencing it's a wonder more drivers didn't end up in the water.

Recent races at Monaco suggest Red Bull to be strong, but Barcelona they looked a bit behind. Ferrari and Lotus currently have the best cars at the moment but while Mercedes are fast, their tire wear have been a complete nightmare.

But no pitlane. ;)

Haybales were good enough for Monte Carlo for many years. Just can't understand why dried grass isn't good enough anymore...

The Monaco pit lane was a bit of a joke until 10 years ago. Slow in, slow out, quite cramped.

The road markings look nothing like we have here in Adelaide, so you can count that out for sure. I'm pretty positive that it's Sainte Devote.

Haybales were good enough for Monte Carlo for many years. Just can't understand why dried grass isn't good enough anymore...

The Monaco pit lane was a bit of a joke until 10 years ago. Slow in, slow out, quite cramped.

Interesting question.

How many cubic meters of grass do you need to stop an F1 car coming down at over 200 km/h? :D

Back