2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix De Monaco

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 721 comments
Interesting question.

How many cubic meters of grass do you need to stop an F1 car coming down at over 200 km/h? :D

Forty years later, IRL/CART/USAC developed the Safer Barrier on a similar principle. However, I'm sure the bales weren't designed to protect spectators in anything more than a superficial way.

Some of the larger hay bales (spirals) that I see on American farmlands would probably arrest a race car's motion too much, resulting in high-G-force decelerations, which isn't really desirable, either.

The road markings look nothing like we have here in Adelaide, so you can count that out for sure. I'm pretty positive that it's Sainte Devote.

I believe it was just proven by another picture that it was actually turn 1 at Monaco.

Forty years later, IRL/CART/USAC developed the Safer Barrier on a similar principle. However, I'm sure the bales weren't designed to protect spectators in anything more than a superficial way.

Some of the larger hay bales (spirals) that I see on American farmlands would probably arrest a race car's motion too much, resulting in high-G-force decelerations, which isn't really desirable, either.

Bales of cotton, then? :P

-

Shame, it's more picturesque without the barriers, but I'd rather not see other people die to satisfy my aesthetic senses.

I ain't no Caligula.

It would be very interesting to see a Mercedes front row again. It would lead to some desperate overtaking attempts after a few laps.

I think that Vettel will win though, in a boringly comfortable fashion. The Red Bull is fast enough in the race to be able to benefit from their excellent qualifying pace, as opposed to Mercedes.

It would be very interesting to see a Mercedes front row again. It would lead to some desperate overtaking attempts after a few laps.

I think that Vettel will win though, in a boringly comfortable fashion. The Red Bull is fast enough in the race to be able to benefit from their excellent qualifying pace, as opposed to Mercedes.

People seem to have forgotten that Mercedes actually have good race pace when things are a bit cooler. Bahrain and Catalunya are the only tracks this season where Mercedes have really suffered in the race. Mercedes could run away with it if they have the sort of pace that we have seen in the slow mechanical grip sections so far this year.

Haybales were good enough for Monte Carlo for many years. Just can't understand why dried grass isn't good enough anymore...

Perhaps because it's very flammable?

People seem to have forgotten that Mercedes actually have good race pace when things are a bit cooler. Bahrain and Catalunya are the only tracks this season where Mercedes have really suffered in the race. Mercedes could run away with it if they have the sort of pace that we have seen in the slow mechanical grip sections so far this year.

Be that as it may, Mercedes have not really shown race winning speed on any race Sunday thus far. Better than Spain? Without a doubt. But enough to win a race?

Be that as it may, Mercedes have not really shown race winning speed on any race Sunday thus far. Better than Spain? Without a doubt. But enough to win a race?

They didn't do half bad in Malaysia. I know Alonso was out, but they weren't that far behind the Red Bulls before Hamilton started fuel saving.

Really, Monaco is all about getting track position for the final stint. Mercedes may well struggle to get in that position, but if they can work together (Like one holds up the pack whilst the other races into the distance and builds a gap) then it may work. I just can't see Rosberg doing this after Malaysia, and Hamilton wouldn't do that under any circumstances. I think Lotus have the best chance, as they seem to be able to extend their stints longer than the other teams can.

My bet is on Raikkonen. I think the race will go as follows:

Qualifying: 1) Rosberg 2) Hamilton 3) Vettel 4) Alonso 5) Webber 6) Massa 7) Raikkonen 8) Grosjean 9) Hulkenberg 10) Di Resta etc.
  • After a mediocre qualifying and an average start, Kimi races his first stint to see the leaders pull away and then pit infront of him. Mercedes pit much sooner than everybody else, drop below 10th and lose all race relevance
  • The extended stint allows Kimi to emerge from the pits in clean air and make good ground on the leaders.
  • A good middle stint sees him get through the pack into a good 5th position behind the Red Bulls and Ferraris.
  • Once again the leaders pit after complaining about the tyres.
  • Meanwhile Kimi, now leading this race, keeps on going because he knows what he's doing.
  • The leaders close the gap to Kimi.
  • Kimi pits on the 50th lap.
  • Vettel comes in on the 58th lap complaining of rear graining and emerges 5 seconds behind Kimi.
  • Alonso and Webber follow suit on lap 59, with Massa pitting on lap 60.

Order now goes: Kimi, Vettel, Alonso, Webber, Massa...

Webber has a KERS failure, Massa overtakes him.

By lap 68, Vettel is right behind Kimi. It soon dawns upon young Seb that the Lotus doesn't need to pit again, and that he now has Alonso, Massa and Webber behind him, catching at a rate of 1 second per lap. Kimi races fair as usual, which at Monaco means you kindly give the overtaking driver the outside line into the chicane. After a few laps of this, Vettel gets frustrated and goes straight on at the chicane, passing Kimi in the process. He relinquishes the position on the home straight to avoid a penalty. Alonso takes his chance and passes aswell. Vettel now in 3rd.

Massa than spectacularly overtakes Vettel into Tabac on the last lap, resulting in a Kimi-Alonso-Massa podium, with Red Bull 4th and 5th. Hulkenberg finishes 6th after an awful pitstop for Di resta. Button and Perez take 7th and 8th, with Grosjean 9th and Maldonado taking his first point of the year in 10th place.

Last edited:
I feel this one will go to Alonso too. Ferrari is really cleaver with strategy and seems to get the best out of it and it might be very important if one of the Mercedes is in pole. You dont need the fastest car tho to score the pole in Monaco, it's a combination of lots of factor.
Lotus didnt impress me with strategy so far. Yes they are the best when it comes to tyre s saving however Monaco is absolutely not about that. I'm sure Ferrari would be able to match the pit strategy of Lotus in Monaco.

I'm rooting for Hamilton tho. I hope he can find some pace and do a decent GP. If he can grab the pole he might have a shot, since Monaco dont eat tyres.

Don't forget folks, Free Practice is on Thursday, tomorrow, in Monaco. I forgot that last year and missed it!

By lap 68, Vettel is right behind Kimi. It soon dawns upon young Seb that the Lotus doesn't need to pit again, and that he now has Alonso, Massa and Webber behind him, catching at a rate of 1 second per lap. Kimi races fair as usual, which at Monaco means you kindly give the overtaking driver the outside line into the chicane. After a few laps of this, Vettel gets frustrated and goes straight on at the chicane, passing Kimi in the process. He relinquishes the position on the home straight to avoid a penalty. Alonso takes his chance and passes aswell. Vettel now in 3rd.

Massa than spectacularly overtakes Vettel into Tabac on the last lap, resulting in a Kimi-Alonso-Massa podium, with Red Bull 4th and 5th.

That would really be something. My fear is that Vettel will qualify in the front row and take the start for another trademark unspectacular yet impressive Vettel win. I also think that Alonso will have to aim at a podium finish at best due to the fact that the Ferrari still does not have the final edge in qualifying and that their excellent race pace give them more or less nothing in Monaco.

That would really be something. My fear is that Vettel will qualify in the front row and take the start for another trademark unspectacular yet impressive Vettel win. I also think that Alonso will have to aim at a podium finish at best due to the fact that the Ferrari still does not have the final edge in qualifying and that their excellent race pace give them more or less nothing in Monaco.

There is very little between Ferrari and Red Bull in qualifying from what I have seen. The order to me seems like Mercedes, then Ferrari/Red Bull, then Lotus, with Force India and Mclaren trailing behind. I think Alonso stands a great chance providing they get the strategy call right. As I mentioned, track position in the final stint will decide the winner. I believe the team that can manage the strategy the best and gain that vital 2-3 seconds to jump others in the pitstop stages will get the win. I believe that Alonso and Ferrari are capable of this.

I think Red Bull are just going to try and head off Ferrari's strategy to keep them at bay, as they know they lack the race pace that they do.

I still don't see it being as bad, I understand where Ardius is coming from, but with the tires being around the same as 2011, I think Merc will be fine. If you look at RBR having to save tires during that race, and Vettel still pulling off the win, also this is still the lowest degredation track during the year no matter what tire suffers more, thus if they were able to make a podium happen in China this year, then doing so in Monaco which is supposedly less tire consuming is all the possible. Also does anyone know who is bringing upgrades beside McLaren?

The Thursday practice threw me off as well. I figured the countdown on the official website had been screwed up.

Ferrari seem strong but this is only FP1, system checks etc.

A bit of trivia to say that apparently Monaco is the place for tribute helmets. I read that Kimi is using a James Hunt helmet like last year and also Jean eric vergne is using a "Cevert" one. This:

e5d1989b-4a5f-41de-94d5-4ae71f6df88d_500.jpg

On a more (can't find the word) tone, here's the helmet Hamilton proudly presented to fans

b5abcb14-ab71-4a3c-a506-4c82ea3ee378_500.jpg

with this explanation tweet

Lewis Hamilton
Roscoe, @nicolescherzy & me instagram.com/p/ZnN4zAr058/

Hamilton's helmet is just...:yuck:. NOPE.

You guys might have already seen it during FP1 but Lotus are sporting a small cross-promotional change to their livery to promote Daft Punk's new album

Link

FP1 results

Code:
[SIZE="3"]1	N Rosberg (GER)	Mercedes	1'16.195
2	F Alonso (ESP)	Ferrari   	1'16.282
3	R Grosjean (F)	Lotus    	1'16.380
4	F Massa (BRA)	Ferrari  	1'16.394
5	Hamilton (GBR)	Mercedes	1'16.469
6	Maldonado (VEN)	Williams	1'16.993
7	M Webber (AUS)	Red Bull	1'17.020
8	J Button (GBR)	McLaren  	1'17.129
9	S Perez (MEX)	McLaren  	1'17.378
10	S Vettel (GER)	Red Bull	1'17.380
11	Räikkönen (FIN)	Lotus   	1'17.509
12	P diResta (GBR)	F India  	1'17.548
13	A Sutil (GER)	F India  	1'17.625
14	Hülkenberg (G)	Sauber  	1'18.193
15	JE Vergne (FRA)	Toro Rosso	1'18.454
16	Gutiérrez (MEX)	Sauber  	1'18.754
17	V Bottas (FIN)	Williams	1'18.830
18	Ricciardo (AUS)	Toro Rosso	1'19.067
19	VD Garde (NED)	Caterham	1'19.203
20	C Pic (FRA)	Caterham	1'19.438
21	J Bianchi (FRA)	Marussia	1'19.773
22	M Chilton (GBR)	Marussia	1'20.225[/SIZE]

EDIT - About Kimi's helmet, last year was better, but I do like the "Kimi on the Hunt" line :D

Why do you think that he wouldn't be able to use it?

Just seemed like a promo helmet is why I say that. If he uses it though that'd be amazing. Plus he'd have to use one or the other...since they did pictures with both.

What'd be cool is if Romain wore one and kimi wore the other

For those talking about qualification pace, remember that this is Monaco. It's not the fastest car that gonna get the pole but rather the driver that got the perfect lap, Michael did his only pole position last year in Monaco. And the Mercedes wasnt as fast as this year one's. The 2nd driver last year which end up in first position, was Mark Webber and he never got a pole the whole year neither.

Monaco is very unique.

As for the Helmet I love the one from Vettel, he really have a good helmet designer. Hamilton's and Alonso's arent bad neither.

Back