2013 Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 786 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like 2011 all over again for Ferrari - not being able to turn on the tyres in anything but hot conditions. Someone hand the Finger the trophy now for Pete's sake.

Sounds like 2011 all over again for Ferrari - not being able to turn on the tyres in anything but hot conditions. Someone hand the Finger the trophy now for Pete's sake.

And from what I have understood is the Red Bull work best on rear-limited circuits (Bahrain, Monaco), while the Ferrari work best on front-limited circuits (China, Barcelona).

I'm pretty sure there are more rear-limited circuits than front-limited.

I wouldn't be surprised if Vettel take it this year, as well. He have been driving even better this year, and more importantly, more consistent (so far...). The Red Bull is just overall a better package than the Ferrari at the moment, in my opinion. However, it's still early...

Fantastic the 2 pit strategist go head to head. Chris Horner vs Ross Brawn. I still think Chris is going to bring Vettel in before Hamilton for the good old track position like usual, but I'm not sure if Ross Brawn will try to beat Chris Horner by having Hamilton come in 1st. Or respond to Vettel's possible earlier pit stop by answering back with Hamilton setting fastest time possible on old tires before in lap. I personally would come in before Vettel but late enough where I release my driver into clean air and gain that valuable track positioning. Unfortunately the conditions didn't hold long enough to get different tire wear numbers on the competitors to see when your opposition will cliff?!,...

Mercedes is superior in a straight line. Hamilton needs a good start and less than a second gap before drs is allowed. All things considered, Mercedes was slower on race pace if the fuel levels were the same at the end of practice 2. But rain could change all that. Remember when Vettel lost to button here a couple years back? Hes not unfathomable.

If there where ever a time that Hamilton could bring the fight to Vettel like he says it's here and now as long as they make to turn 3 and with a good launch without conflict.

Seems like I should stick to the smaller picture to avoid a holiday...

Hamilton must pass early. Kimi, Alonso & Rosberg must get fantastic starts and the others to get out of the way as soon as possible.
Expecting none of the above.

Damn shame. I hate qualifying sessions like this. Wet race, maybe. Not qualifying. All of the times were set around the 7 minute mark, those who were lucky to get a lap without traffic in that very minute got through. Others like Rosberg and Alonso couldn't. I just read that Rosberg had no radio in the entire session either and stopped going for timed laps too early.

I'd like to thank Canada and their time zone,I can watch the race after my Final .All Hail Canada

I hate qualifying sessions like this. Wet race, maybe. Not qualifying. All of the times were set around the 7 minute mark, those who were lucky to get a lap without traffic in that very minute got through.

That's what it comes down to, though. Conditions which are out of the control of the team and driver. Those who set the fastest time's didn't do so out of luck, they were out on track at the right time because the team would have studied the weather and predicted when was the right time to have them out on their flyer.

If anything, this makes the racing more interesting, there are people starting further up the field that you wouldn't usually see there. It gives us all a chance to see what some drivers are really capable of.

What we have seen from the Mercedes is that they can go reasonably long if they start their stints with slow lap times, not ideal really if you want make places at the start. Last year extra straight line speed wasn't that beneficial, the tyre condition is what tended to determine whether or not an overtake was going to happen. Look at Alonso, destroyed by Vettel down the straight last year because he had old tyres so he was slow coming out of the right hander onto the straight leading into the final chicane.

That's what it comes down to, though. Conditions which are out of the control of the team and driver. Those who set the fastest time's didn't do so out of luck, they were out on track at the right time because the team would have studied the weather and predicted when was the right time to have them out on their flyer.

If anything, this makes the racing more interesting, there are people starting further up the field that you wouldn't usually see there. It gives us all a chance to see what some drivers are really capable of.
I don't think it matters how much you study the weather, and it's not just the weather anyway. What I meant by luck was the traffic. Even if all the drivers received a message to do a fast lap, the time frame (one minute) to do so was too narrow for all of them to be able to do it. A lot of them were held back by traffic. Rosberg didn't even have radio.

It would've made things interesting years ago when cars weren't so close to each other but now I feel qualifying should either decide the fastest cars or the fastest drivers. Not who studied the weather better, or who was in the right place at the right time with no traffic. It's bad enough the races are decided by Pirelli, at least give us a real qualifying session.

Anyway putting Bottas so high up only means trouble. I'm sure some of you will jump to defend him here but I feel like he's going to take someone out while going backwards in the race.

I don't think it matters how much you study the weather, and it's not just the weather anyway. What I meant by luck was the traffic. Even if all the drivers received a message to do a fast lap, the time frame (one minute) to do so was too narrow for all of them to be able to do it. A lot of them were held back by traffic. Rosberg didn't even have radio.

It would've made things interesting years ago when cars weren't so close to each other but now I feel qualifying should either decide the fastest cars or the fastest drivers. Not who studied the weather better, or who was in the right place at the right time with no traffic. It's bad enough the races are decided by Pirelli, at least give us a real qualifying session.

Anyway putting Bottas so high up only means trouble. I'm sure some of you will jump to defend him here but I feel like he's going to take someone out while going backwards in the race.

He's going to be overtaken a lot today and he's inexperienced in F1. What's this, his 7th? Race.

Or, he could be a one-off like Maldonado. I'm hoping for good racing no matter the strategy. I just want to see dicing and sticking it at the corner entry.

Overcast but dry at the moment according to the internets.

I think Bottas will do well. He's had a pretty quiet season but he hasn't made any major mistakes, just done his best in a car that isn't up to the pace. The same can't really be said for his more experience team mate. I do expect him to drop down the field but I think he'll got a points finish.

I think Bottas is showing Pastor isn't as great as some thought he was, don't get me wrong he's not a bad driver but Senna is slow and Barichello was in his late 30s (Still outscored Pastor though).

Gonna be 21 degrees by the time the race begins, that isn't very cold.

m8h3r
He's going to be overtaken a lot today and he's inexperienced in F1. What's this, his 7th? Race.

Agreed just like Willams Nico at Brazil the 1st time. It took Nico a 2nd try to keep the Williams chassis in the front and Pastor was the only 1 who got it right on his 1st outting in P1. Williams has a higher percentage of failing back then holding are moving forward unfortunately. I like Williams and they need pts money so hat's off Bottas & Williams but I hate to say history usually repeats its self. Starting Grand Prix Now!

Agreed just like Willams Nico at Brazil the 1st time. It took Nico a 2nd try to keep the Williams chassis in the front and Pastor was the only 1 who got it right on his 1st outting in P1. Williams has a higher percentage of failing back then holding are moving forward unfortunately. I like Williams and they need pts money so hat's off Bottas & Williams but I hate to say history usually repeats its self. Starting Grand Prix Now!

I think there was a great deal more pressure on Hulkenberg as a) He started from pole and b) It was the penultimate race of the season and he hadn't secured a driver for 2011. The pressure clearly got to him as he spun out on the formation lap at turn 2. He then took turn 2 more carefully on the race start and he got mugged left right and centre by multiple drivers.

Bottas is starting 3rd, in a car much less competitive than the 2010 Williams. He has plenty more chances to prove himself this season (It was funny seeing the look on Susie Wolff's face when he came home p3; joy with a strong hint of disappointment, knowing she needs him to do badly to secure a drive for next year). I think all that is expected of him is to come home in the points, which I believe they are capable of doing. Their problem all year has been qualifying. Much like Toro Rosso, they can sometimes match the frontrunners on pace but are too far behind to do anything about it.

Last edited:
Interesting that Raikkonen and Riccardo get penalties for not lining up in the pits properly...don't think that's happened before?!

Interesting that Raikkonen and Riccardo get penalties for not lining up in the pits properly...don't think that's happened before?!

It is more to do with the order they exit the pit lane. They have to cross the line in the same order as they arived at the end of the pit lane. Kimi for example got to the end 4th and left the pits second.

"and the Lotus driver's penalty for not re-entering the track from the fast lane came about after he jumped two cars in the order."

"The Driver [Raikkonen] claimed he intended to make a practice start from the left hand side of the pit exit, as permitted," the stewards' statement read.

"However this does not alleviate the requirement to leave in the order of arrival at the end of the pitlane. In this case the driver left in 2nd having arrived in 4th position."

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...iel-Ricciardo-both-demoted-at-the-Canadian-GP

A few interesting stats Sky have just told us that Red Bull have never won in Canada and Ferrari's last win was in 2004!

Anyone in Canada? What is the weather like?

It's definitely overcast here and a little humid but if if it does rain, I don't think it'll last long. It's t-shirt and jeans kind-of warm. Not hot or cold. Not bad conditions considering the wet weather we've had of late.

You guys should be getting clouds, maybe a little rain. We got heavy clouds last night in the GTA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back