2013 Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 507 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the first half of the season, the two Red Bull drivers only had a combined total of 5 podium finished out of a possible 20, and a total of 3 wins out of a possible 10. Compare that to the start of 2010 where they had 10 podiums and 5 wins, or 2011 where they had 15 podiums and 6 wins (For the purposes of parity, i'm comparing the first 10 races of each, as 2010 and 2011 each only had 19 races in total). Their 2012 car was nowhere near as good as their 2010 or 2011 cars relative to the field. They were not the pacesetters in the first half of 2012. Mclaren were certainly faster and Mercedes were better on occasion too. It's hard to compare because it was so close, but Red Bull certainly weren't "The team to beat" as it were. They were however, amongst the frontrunners. There is a big difference between settings the pace and keeping up with whoever does happen to be setting the pace.
So god forbid they're running at the same speed as everybody else? They definitely weren't as dominant as 2011 but they weren't fighting in the midfield. Isn't that what you meant by "off"?
Lose the attitude before you lose your membership. 💡
Ok:tup:

I was going to spend my time replying to the discussion, but I've been here barely five minutes and I'm constantly getting accused of being idiot, fanboy, or just plain stupid for what? Having an opinion and debating it.

It's a joke.

I was going to spend my time replying to the discussion, but I've been here barely five minutes and I'm constantly getting accused of being idiot, fanboy, or just plain stupid for what? Having an opinion and debating it.

It's a joke.

If you say something like this:

Mercedes would of never got the results with Rosberg or Schumacher.

Do you honestly have to wonder why?

Once again, you're half right about something. It is impossible to have an opinion these days and debate it but at the same time some of the things you've said completely off. Being a fan of someone is one thing but saying he's invincible and everybody else sucks is crazy. I don't like Vettel, hell I started this thing myself by saying he was lucky but you keep making it sound like he's a complete chump while Hamilton is made out of god.

Seriously it's too ironic considering the very last grand prix we had, just two days ago, Vettel and Hamilton were equally lucky/untested/unchallenged.

So god forbid they're running at the same speed as everybody else? They definitely weren't as dominant as 2011 but they weren't fighting in the midfield. Isn't that what you meant by "off"?

Perhaps my wording wasn't right. I was implying that Red Bull didn't have the fastest car, which they didn't. They weren't off the pace per se, but they weren't knocking in the pole positions like they were doing for the two years prior. They were consistently running around 3rd/4th/5th in the races, much like Mercedes have been doing so far this year. They were clearly outmatched by Mclaren, and to a lesser extent Mercedes too.

I like this year. There is so much ambiguity in the car performance. There isn't really any car that is clearly faster than the others. It's almost like as the regulations stabilise, the cars get closer together 💡

If you say something like this:

"Mercedes would of never got the results with Rosberg or Schumacher"

Do you honestly have to wonder why?

What? That's my opinion. Schumacher's glory days were gone, he should of stayed retired with the legend. As for Rosberg, never have thought highly of him, made poor career choices, along with poor performances, he was one of the new generation (Massa, Hamilton, Vettel) and never really improved. I cannot see Rosberg as a champion. Hamilton, however, has already delivered with two podiums in four races.

but at the same time some of the things you've said completely off.
But that's my opinion. Sure others may disagree, but I'm free to debate the question/comment/incident without being called an idiot/fanboy/stupid for it. That isn't debating, it's insulting.

What? That's my opinion. Schumacher's glory days were gone, he should of stayed retired with the legend. As for Rosberg, never have thought highly of him, made poor career choices, along with poor performances, he was one of the new generation (Massa, Hamilton, Vettel) and never really improved. I cannot see Rosberg as a champion. Hamilton, however, has already delivered with two podiums in four races.

Rosberg deserved the podium in Malaysia above Hamilton (He was coasting behind him for the last 7-8 laps, told not to pass by Ross Brawn), which would mean they would have 1 pole position and 1 podium each. Rosberg has also had 2 mechanical failures in 4 races, which explains the points gap. Hamilton may have delivered, but so has Rosberg (With the equipment and opportunities he's been given anyway). Besides, it's silly to compare the two when so few races have passed. We'll have a better picture later in the season.

I agree with Malaysia, but let's be honest here, Hamilton wouldn't gone to Mercedes without clearly being recognized as the No.1 driver, unlike his shared status at Mclaren - which funnily enough have also switched to a tiered system.

But the thing is, it's Hamilton's debut year in a completely new environment. He's basically been mollycoddled by Mclaren since he was about 9 when Anthony got a deal with Martin Hines and then into a Mclaren program and now he's in a new team, with new professionals - everything from the guy that makes the nuts, counts the nuts and installs the nuts. Rosberg's been there what, four years?

I'm not a Hamilton fanboy, but the job he's doing in a short space of time shows why he is top 3 on the grid.

Di Resta at it again with his over inflated ego :lol:

Tuesday 23rd April 2013
Source: PlanetF1

Di Resta: I'll get a podium with a faster car

Paul di Resta admits there were plenty of "positives" for Force India in Bahrain, but urged the team to give him a faster car if they want him to deliver a podium.

The Scot started Sunday's race fifth on the grid and he found himself running second behind Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull for large chunks of the race. However, he had to settle for fourth as Lotus duo Kimi Raikkonen and Romain Grosjean claimed the final two podium positions behind Vettel.

"As a team I think we have to congratulate everyone - the performance this weekend has been good and we will go away with positive notes from it," Di Resta said.

"We got caught out by a driver [Grosjean] who didn't qualify where he should have and had four sets of new tyres to do a three-stop race - that would have been the fastest way of any car had you had those tyres.

"He had the tyre life to do it, but there were strengths in the Grand Prix to pick up on. I probably could have been a bit more aggressive at times, but it is a lot of points and a solid job. When you can take advantage of the misfortune of the Ferraris and beat McLaren on outright pace, it is a crucial point for us."

It was once again a case of so close but yet so far for Force India in their search for a podium and Di Resta admits they will need to improve further if they are going to finish in the top three places at some stage this season.

"We should take a huge amount of credit from the first four grands prix, but the team are going to have to work hard and bring updates if they want this podium - they are going to have to work more for it than we are."

He added: "They want a podium - well give me a faster car and I will get a podium! So if they work a bit harder in the design office and we get some more resources there is no reason we cannot do it.

"As a team we are performing to our maximum capacity, it is just a case of getting that bit more to give us a bit more comfort at the end of races and to get us in the position in qualifying every week to do that."

Di Resta had the car during the race, poor strategic call by the team is what cost him that third place. I think if FI pitted him to respond to Vettel and ran the same strategy as Seb, a podium would have been certain.

Still, shattered that he lost out on 3rd.

Just interjecting, not picking on you. What of Button? I liked him when he came in. I saw promise in his ability. Nothing happened at Williams. Nothing but a win with BAR HONDA. He was soon to be history Championship ability but didn't have the cars under him. BAM! He gets a shot first half of the season and with a little luck is crowned a deserving Champion. He put in his work and things panned out. Nico has the ability, I know he can be champion. Seats were filled where he couldn't and wouldn't be allowed to fight for a championship had he been at certain teams. The season started, he has already been held back from getting that podium and his car wasn't up to snuff this last race. It ain't over for Nico and I'm not only a Hamilton fan but, of all the racers that give 100%.

05XR8, perhaps I'm just not a good judge of drivers, but I don't really rate much of this current crop of drivers.

Di Resta had the car during the race, poor strategic call by the team is what cost him that third place. I think if FI pitted him to respond to Vettel and ran the same strategy as Seb, a podium would have been certain.

Still, shattered that he lost out on 3rd.

I disagree, and I'll go ahead and state the Force India was nowhere near good enough to get 3rd. I really believed in it during his first stint, but as his tyres wore out, it was clear the Lotus was the superior car in terms of laptimes. Lotus somehow manage to stretch tyre stints so long, yet they keep such a high pace throughout the entire stints.

Sorry for the bump, but I had to point out...
Statistics argument again?
Alonso scored four podiums, two pole positions, one fastest lap & one win in '03 with a shoddy car that retired five times in his second season in F1, first in the Renault.
Vettel's '08 year included only one pole, one win and six retirements in his third season in F1, second with Toro Rosso.

The 2003 Renault was the clear 4th best car at that time, only behind Ferrari, Williams and Mclaren. It wasn't "shoddy". It was far closer to the frontrunners than the STR of 2008 was (it was probably the 6th-7th best car of its season). Therefore trying to do a direct comparison and say Alonso was better is useless.

And no, Vettel was not in his third season, it was his second season, and his first full season.

f40
It wasn't "shoddy"
What, ten retirements is acceptable? It was a shoddy car that was well off the pace of the top three. The rest of the pack that year was equally awful.

f40
Therefore trying to do a direct comparison and say Alonso was better is useless.
Useless because it's fact. Lewis / Kimi / Alonso, now that's a difficult call.

f40
And no, Vettel was not in his third season, it was his second season, and his first full season.
BMW '06 - ONE
BMW '07 - TWO
Toro Rosso '08 - THREE

But still, why are we wasting our time talking about Blondie? We may as well discuss the meyers scale or the intelligence of Amy Childs....👎

BMW '06 - ONE
BMW '07 - TWO
Toro Rosso '08 - THREE

You know full well that a "season" is used to refer to a driver completing the majority or all of the races in on year of the championship. You're clutching at straws if you're trying to insinuate a year as a test driver is the same as a year as a race driver.
2006 he was a test driver on a few friday sessions which really doesn't count as race experience and 2007 he competed in less than half of the season.
In both those years he was quite busy racing in Formula 3 and Formula Renault 3.5 and he didn't exactly get 1000s of kilometers mileage driving F1 cars around Fiorano or anything.

While they should be mentioned, I think its fair to say Vettel wasn't exactly "experienced" in 2008 and especially not alongside his team-mate who had just come off the back of 4 consecutive Champcar titles.

Perhaps if we were talking about Pedro De La Rosa or Luca Badoer who have clocked up a lot of testing miles as test drivers you might be able to argue that was the equivelant of a "seasons experience driving the car". But even then, driving around performing tests is another world entirely from having to compete against other drivers and push the limits.

Really its;
2006 - a couple of test sessions in an F1 car
2007 - some tests and some races in an F1 car
2008 - a full season racing an F1 car
Which I imagine to most people = 1.5 seasons worth of F1 racing experience.

What, ten retirements is acceptable? It was a shoddy car that was well off the pace of the top three. The rest of the pack that year was equally awful.

More retirements were common in those days. You can't judge how bad or slow a car is solely by number of DNFs. Think about it, you would probably agree with me and everyone else that the RB6 was the best car of 2010. Yet it had more DNFs than the Ferrari F10. The R23 was the clear 4th fastest car of 2003, scoring over triple the points of BAR in 5th.

Useless because it's fact. Lewis / Kimi / Alonso, now that's a difficult call.

No, useless because because you've compared the 4th fastest car of a season to the 6th fastest of another season, and pretended they were the same.

BMW '06 - ONE
BMW '07 - TWO
Toro Rosso '08 - THREE

By that standard, Alonso was test driver for Renault in 2002, yet you claim that 03 was his first year with Renault.

But still, why are we wasting our time talking about Blondie? We may as well discuss the meyers scale or the intelligence of Amy Childs....👎

Again, sorry for bumping a month old thread (only recently came back to the forums here), but if you're going to talk about a triple world champion, and refer to him as "Blondie", and show you dislike him (which is all still fair enough) then at least get your facts and logic right.

Last edited:
f40
You can't judge how bad or slow a car is solely by number of DNFs. Think about it, you would probably agree with me and everyone else that the RB6 was the best car of 2010.
True, true. I could drive the RB6 and win the title.

f40
No, useless because because you've compared the 4th fastest car of a season to the 6th fastest of another season, and pretended they were the same.
So? people are constantly comparing drivers in different eras. Like this crap -
Sebastian Vettel is in the same league as triple world champion Ayrton Senna, according to Toro Rosso director Giorgio Ascanelli.
- Why don't you go and take a dump on his grave Ascanelli?! :grumpy::banghead::banghead:

f40
By that standard, Alonso was test driver for Renault in 2002, yet you claim that 03 was his first year with Renault.
Ah, a mistake. Sorry about that. Unlike Vettel, I have the stones to apologize when I make a mistake.

f40
but if you're going to talk about a triple world champion, and refer to him as "Blondie"
Double + * Champion. If backhanded Petrov would of had a spine and not taken the $$$ (Danke, Mateschitz!) then he would of been a single WC and Alonso would rightfully be a quadruple champion, which is about fair.

Look at you acting all responsible...well done whiteknighting around. Would you like a sticker?

I want F1 to be competitive, popular, enjoyable, respectable. All of which is under threat from one less-talented, egomaniacal megalomaniac. The faster F1 can ditch Vettel the better it's future will be.

So? people are constantly comparing drivers in different eras. Like this crap -

- Why don't you go and take a dump on his grave Ascanelli?! :grumpy::banghead::banghead:

Seeing as Ascanelli was race engineer for Ayrton Senna at McLaren as well as being technical director while Vettel was STR, I think he's more than entitled to make that comparison.

Double + * Champion. If backhanded Petrov would of had a spine and not taken the $$$ (Danke, Mateschitz!) then he would of been a single WC and Alonso would rightfully be a quadruple champion, which is about fair.

I want F1 to be competitive, popular, enjoyable, respectable. All of which is under threat from one less-talented, egomaniacal megalomaniac. The faster F1 can ditch Vettel the better it's future will be.

You want Petrov to move out of the way for Alonso, yet you want the sport to be competitive and respectable?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88300

Q. Was it easy to keep him behind?

VP: Yes, it was really nothing special because I knew the Ferrari was quicker. I was waiting for him and thought he would try more times to overtake me. But it was not a problem of him - the problem was the strategy first and then a difficult circuit to overtake.

So, why should've Petrov let Alonso past? It was "easy" to keep him behind and keep in mind, he was still driving for a contract next year.

Hey JGreens, what's your opinion on Nigel Mansell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back