2013 Moto3/Moto2/MotoGP Thread

• Thread starter Tom
  • 546 comments
A great shame to hear about Spies there, MR. I had a fear that it would be a 'Toseland' scenario. The question now though is, who will replace him?

In other news, the qualfying in all classes today was superb. I was very impressed with both of the Japanese wildcards in Moto3 as well as Rafid Topan Sucipto in Moto2 who beat his previous best 28th grid slot with 5th!

Revised schedule 27 October 2013

Moto3 FP 00:00 - 00:40
Moto2 FP 00:50 - 01:30
MotoGP FP 01:40 - 01:30 (taking into account GMT summer time change I guess, technically would be 2:30)

Moto3 RACE 02:00
Moto2 RACE 03:20
MotoGP RACE 05:00

Rins has looked very good this year, some of his pole margins for Moto3 have been huge and he's only 17.
Tom
A great shame to hear about Spies there, MR. I had a fear that it would be a 'Toseland' scenario. The question now though is, who will replace him?

I wouldn't wish that bike upon any rider with potential.

I think Moto3 and GP are going to be crackers....and I am going to miss it all :ouch:.

Hopefully today's results will mean it all goes down to the wire in Valencia!

Solid ride from Pol to take the Moto2 championship. Congrats to him 👍

Edit: Sublime Lorenzo. 👍
The young mug isn't champion just yet.

Last edited:
A bit miffed I missed this, as Moto3 looks like its going to be a ripper final race with Vinales back in it - its gonna end in tears for someone!

MM still has to be odds on favourite for the title, he can just finish second to wrap it up after all. Pedrosa has been supremely disappointing this year.

Moto3 was intense and in Valencia there are going to be fireworks! It was a shame to see the Japanese wildcards not finish so well however after a sumblime qualifying.

Hats off to Pol Espargaro in Moto2, a thoroughly deserved championship and I'm looking forward to MotoGP next year even more.

Speaking of that, it really is hotting up for the championship but I have to say that I think the momentum is still with Marquez.

---

Also, Eugene Laverty has been tipped with the seat at Pramac.

Well finally got around to watch the races.

Good to see Moto3 and MotoGP going to the final race for a decider. Not that Pol didn't deserve a win, but I'd rather see it being decided on track and not by a DNF. Speaking of which, it was a very scary moment to see (once more).

MotoGP looked like a clever Marc didn't want to force anything, knowing he mostly only needs to keep it rubber side up to be champion.

Sad about Rossi still not quite up to snuff and Pedrosa, well... what can we say. Once more he's coming up short.

Oh and was also obviously delighted with Oliveira in Moto3 (18th -> 4th)

Sad about Rossi still not quite up to snuff and Pedrosa, well... what can we say. Once more he's coming up short.

You make it appear as if we should be disappointed with Rossi's results this year, and I know that in comparison to our expectations as well as compared to Lorenzo they've been average, but he's been one of the most consistent riders throughout the year. That as well as a great recovery to 6th wasn't exactly shabby.

Not how I wanted it to sound...

I was "sad" with the final result, because he clearly looked strong for another podium. Not disappointed at his performance at all, this race or this year.

I agree he is making a very good return year. Can't wait to see him on full strength next year. Looks like it's gonna be another very good one.

Not how I wanted it to sound...

I was "sad" with the final result, because he clearly looked strong for another podium. Not disappointed at his performance at all, this race or this year.

I agree he is making a very good return year. Can't wait to see him on full strength next year. Looks like it's gonna be another very good one.

You make a good point and I apologise for misinterpreting it. I do hope to see The Doctor back to being his 'oldself' next year, but with Marquez, Lorenzo and Pedrosa being on the grid, it won't be easy.

In other news, I've managed to obtain an interview with Moto2's Gino Rea. It will be pre-recorded and will most likely air this week. Who would be interested in me posting it to YouTube?

Tom
You make a good point and I apologise for misinterpreting it. I do hope to see The Doctor back to being his 'oldself' next year, but with Marquez, Lorenzo and Pedrosa being on the grid, it won't be easy.

In other news, I've managed to obtain an interview with Moto2's Gino Rea. It will be pre-recorded and will most likely air this week. Who would be interested in me posting it to YouTube?

No apology needed, it was a fair assumption from my words.

I think we are going to see even more of Rossi on podiums and good finishes next year. I predict the new ride/riders fighting for a top spot will be a treat too behind Lorenzo and Marquez, and that will make Vale and Dani's life very hard. Much more than this year. Hope I'm right for the racing it'll provide :)

But it's gonna be hard and we'll see the "old fox" and not the hard battling Vale from the old days. And sadly don't think he'll be WC again. Though I hope I'm wrong on that one, as a fan of his.

And please do share the interview!

So then, here's the audio for the interview. I've actually had some interest shown by a large motorcycle site here in the UK who are looking to post it to their website.

I can't see Rossi having a contract extension beyond 2014. Although he always brings in the big bucks, Yamaha want to win the title and Rossi is most likely on the decline and they seem to love Pol Espargaro, understandably so as well. I just hope Vale doesn't go to a satellite team and just retire as it would be a tame end to a marvellous career (and free up prototype bikes for all the insanely quick riders out there)

Well you are obviously talking about Ducati but with the technical guru Gigi coming over from Aprilia next year they may start to turn the bike around (or hopefully throw it in a skip and start again). Either way with superbikes on the decline it looks as if everyone wants in on the GP game again and nobody should be going anytime soon.

Well you are obviously talking about Ducati but with the technical guru Gigi coming over from Aprilia next year they may start to turn the bike around (or hopefully throw it in a skip and start again). Either way with superbikes on the decline it looks as if everyone wants in on the GP game again and nobody should be going anytime soon.

I did have a hunch as to that being why BMW pulled out of WSBK, but until we hear any more then I shall keep quiet.

In other news, the Honda RCV1000R has been officially unveiled (pictures to follow) and Johann Zarco has been officially confirmed at Caterham Moto Racing in Moto2 for next year, alongside Josh Herrin.

Really excited for this weekend. What a season it's been. I'm a little nervous as I've been a fan of Marquez and Lorenzo for years. I'm hoping for a clean race with the title decided fairly, regardless of who takes it but I can sense a little controversy incoming.

It would take a miracle (or some bad luck for Marquez) for Lorenzo to win the championship, but you have to hand it to him for his late season surge and his determination. Marquez has shown his astonishing speed and racecraft, but there have been a few mistakes from him and his team. I can see him being truly dominant in the future. Let's hope Lorenzo can keep up.

Anyway, I'm rambling. May the best man win and may all finish the season safely. I admit to getting a bit nervous watching motorcycle racing given how dangerous it is.

It's still Marquez's to lose as you said, Craig. I think that he'll probably be rather conservative this weekend, given everything.

Also, can we just note that it will be the last race that Toby Moody and Julian Ryder will commentate together on Eurosport, a great shame indeed.

Tom
It's still Marquez's to lose as you said, Craig. I think that he'll probably be rather conservative this weekend, given everything.

Also, can we just note that it will be the last race that Toby Moody and Julian Ryder will commentate together on Eurosport, a great shame indeed.
Do you know who is in the BTsport commentary team for MotoGP? Toby and Jules are my favourite commentary team of any sport.

So my predictions for this weekend:

MM to win the title, and the race.

Moto3 is tough, I don't think Vinales has the pace to match Rins and Salom on his current bike, so it's really down to those two. My head says Salom, my heart Rins so I'll go with the latter :).

Do you know who is in the BTsport commentary team for MotoGP? Toby and Jules are my favourite commentary team of any sport.

No-one has been confirmed yet, but I would be surprised if Toby doesn't jump ship to BT. I would also like to see perhaps Steve Day in line also, he really is great and has deputised for Moody on occasions.

Tom

I hope so. He had me on the edge of my seat at Motegi.

Back