2013 Moto3/Moto2/MotoGP Thread

• Thread starter Tom
  • 546 comments
Unbelievable quali, Marquez's first sector was incredible. Moody had thought Marc had lost time but when I saw him hit the apex of T1 after his big moment I knew he was going quick.

Great qualifying in the MotoGP class from Marquez and I think that what Lorenzo did on his second bike was nothing short of incredible.

Also, in Moto3 I was very impressed with Rins and Salom as ever and Carrasco was very far up the order also. The same applies for Gino Rea in Moto2 and likewise with Simeon, I just hope that moving to Gresini doesn't kill his international career, as it has done with so many beforehand.

In other news, Arthur Sissis has been confirmed at Mahindra in Moto3 for next year and John Mcphee at Racing Team Germany also. Rumours are going around that RTG will run a Honda for next year.

*Spoiler alert* -> tags don't work it seems:
Wow, great Moto3 race. Unbelievable that Salom threw it away after such a powerful year where he headed the championship for so long! For all money I would have thought Rins had it, but congratulations to Vinales - he has show much more maturity this year than last and full credit to him.

Props to Rins too for his great sportsmanship crossing the line, giving a clap to Vinales before Vinales himself had even started celebrating.

Lorenzo is backing the pack up massively, trying to cause issues for Marquez but he is actually getting more trouble from Pedrosa. Could go either way...

Lorenzo under investigation for that move on Pedrosa, it will investigated after the race.

Sensible by Marquez letting Dani through, making sure Dani doesn't try a lunge that could end badly.

Congrats Marquez, great sensible drive, didn't take any risks, a well deserved champion.

Last edited:
What a day! The racing across all three classes was nothing short of superb and I certainly wasn't expecting Vinales to take the Moto3 title. He surpassed my expectations as I thought it was Rins' for a long while due to his impeccable form all season but I take my hat off to Maverick.

Moto2 was great, very surprised at Pol chucking it into the scenery but Terol and Torres certainly showed their form around Valencia. Mind you, they've always gone well there.

What can I say about MotoGP? Incident packed, controversial and spectacular! Marquez really did deserve that and he showed that he can keep a cool head when necessary.

I would love to do a write-up of the season, who would be interested in reading it?

Tom
I would love to do a write-up of the season, who would be interested in reading it?

If you have the time to write it, I'll certainly read it.

As for the races, Motogp and Moto3 had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Shame about Salom binning it. Kudos to Folger (and also Miller) for sitting back and letting Rins and Vinalez sort it out.

What can I say about Marquez? Unbelievable. Lorenzo's tactics made for a nail biting ten laps or so.

I didn't get to see the Moto2 or GP races thanks to the crazy time it was on, but props to MM for riding an intelligent race. I do think if Pedrosa and Jorge had remained injury free this year, it would be Jorge lifting the trophy, but 'if ifs and ands were pots and pans etc' - he had a magnificent season and has unimaginable talent, so I don't begrudge him. Jorge vs MM in the future is going to be a rivalry to savour.

Today is the first day of post-season testing before the two-month ban comes into place in December. Here are some pictures so far. I will update the times and photos as/when I have more information.

2013-valtest-scotthonda_slideshow.jpg

1461065_10151713808132120_1300405885_n.jpg

Scott Redding and Nicky Hayden on their Honda RCV1000R's for Go&Fun Gresini and Power Electronics Aspar respectively.

2013-valtest-poltech3_slideshow.jpg

Pol Espargaro in his Yamaha Tech3 clothing.

Massive congrats to Marquez. I think we're all still struggling to believe what's happened this year. Lorenzo has been a machine since Silverstone but two crashes in assen and Germany really gave Marquez the upper hand and he didn't need to hang it out at the last race which is a shame but all credit to him, I don't think any of us actually thought this would happen at the start of the season, a 20 year old rookie wins the biggest prize on 2 wheels. I really am looking forward to next year already even though at the moment I can't watch it. If anyone watches the test today on bt let us know who's in the box please.

As for moto 3, who could have predicted that, it just shows what consistency gets you in motorsport because we were all writing Vinales off a month ago but 2 crashes each for Salom and Rins over the season and I believe Vinales finished every race and it paid dividends, well done to all 3 of them for great riding and providing exceptional viewing for us.

Here's Cal Crutchlow making his Ducati debut:

DG2_2801.jpg

DG2_2813.jpg

DG2_2876.jpg

Scott Redding on the RCV1000R:

DG2_2766.jpg

DG2_2760.jpg

Last edited:
Last year I posted about how Marc had won me over during his Moto2 season and how much of a talent I thought he was. This year, there I was again, praising his antics and maturity as well.

(if you want to read it, post is here on my personal blog)

Well done kid...

Some more photos from today.

Mike DiMeglio testing Avintia Blusens' FTR-Kawasaki.

63dimeglio_s5d0167_slideshow.jpg

Aleix Espargaro on-board his Forward Racing FTR-M1.

PA1448690.jpg

Nicky Hayden riding the RCV1000R.

PA1448688.jpg

Marquez on the 2014 RC213V.

PA1448675.jpg

De Puniet testing PBM's 2013 Aprilia.

PA1448659.jpg

Just checked the live timing and Smith is on a 1:30.6!! He must have cut a corner somewhere.

EDIT: Must have been a legit time, 1:30.5 now.

Last edited:
Just checked the live timing and Smith is on a 1:30.6!! He must have cut a corner somewhere.

EDIT: Must have been a legit time, 1:30.5 now.

Bradley is trying out the latest specification bike I believe, either that or it's half a generation behind the 2014 Factory M1.

Also, I have to say that the 2014 RC213V's air-intake is a rather ugly looking thing.

93marquez_s5d9722_slideshow.jpg

Smith on the M1.

PA1448931.jpg

Nicky spitting some flames on the RCV1000R.

69hayden_s5d0412_slideshow.jpg

Pol getting his elbow down. After being just +0.5 seconds away from Marquez, I'm rather impressed!

40espargaro_s5d9970_slideshow.jpg

Aleix Espargaro on the FTR-M1 again.

41espargaro_s5d9917_slideshow.jpg

Tom
Bradley is trying out the latest specification bike I believe, either that or it's half a generation behind the 2014 Factory M1.

Also, I have to say that the 2014 RC213V's air-intake is a rather ugly looking thing.

Reminded me of the Sabre fighter jet...

I think the intake could look nice if it was a little bit smaller. At least it won't having a p*nis sprouting out the front like the 2014 F1 cars.

1384270378.jpg

Moto3 and Moto2 testing occurred at Jerez today, though it wasn't official. Here are some photos, credit to MotoGP.com and Ian Wheeler:

Karel Hanika on the Red Bull Ajo Motorsport KTM.

98karelharika2013-11-1413.20.40_slideshow.jpg

Jonas Folger and Axel Pons' 2014 Kalex's.

94folger2013-11-1413.16.21_slideshow.jpg

Josh Herrin on the Caterham Moto Racing Suter.

02joshherrin2013-11-1413.20.54_slideshow.jpg

Jack Miller on his Ajo Motorsport KTM.

08miller2013-11-1411.47.19_slideshow.jpg

Sam Lowes on the 2014 Speed Up.

1472725_10201937617036257_1515997332_n.jpg

Tito Rabat on the Marc VDS Kalex.

579631_10201937529154060_365177364_n.jpg

Moto2 Times - Day 1 Jerez
1. Tom Lüthi - 1’42.662 - Suter
2. Jordi Torres - 1’42.724 - Suter
3. Mika Kallio - 1’42.776 - Kalex
4. Takaaki Nakagami - 1’42.959 - Kalex
5. Tito Rabat - 1’42.962 - Kalex
6. Nico Terol - 1’43.028 - Suter
7. Sam Lowes - 1’43.068 - Speed Up
8. Sandro Cortese - 1’43.592 - Kalex
9. Azlam Shah - 1’43.667 - Unknown
10. Julian Simon - 1’43.795 - Kalex

Moto3 Times - Day 1 Jerez
1. Jack Miller - 1'47.291 - KTM
2. Karel Hanika - 1'47.827 - KTM
3. Niklas Ajo - 1'47.860 - KTM
4. Philipp Öttel - 1'48.082 - Unknown
5. Danny Kent - 1'48.128 - KTM
6. Miguel Oliviera - 1'48.228 - Mahindra
7. Arthur Sissis - 1'48.793 - Mahindra

How do all you British guys feel about losing Moto Gp from British Eurosport and BBC?

Im not sure if this has been discussed before, but I feel a little sad. I pay for Sky, if I now want to watch Moto Gp, I have to get BT Sports. There are quite a few people, who just watched on BBC, so they have lost out.

How do all you British guys feel about losing Moto Gp from British Eurosport and BBC?

Im not sure if this has been discussed before, but I feel a little sad. I pay for Sky, if I now want to watch Moto Gp, I have to get BT Sports. There are quite a few people, who just watched on BBC, so they have lost out.

I'm rather irritated by it, Toby & Jules were my favourite commentary duo and it's a shame that we won't see them on BT. That aside, I expect BT to have exceptional coverage next year given the cost to customers.

Back