• Thread starter Mac K
  • 841 comments
Canada
Ontario,Canada
macospet1
My What?
Rolex%2024%20Logo_500.jpg

http://www.grand-am.com/

Just like last year, rather than clogging up the main Grand-Am thread. Thread will be updated closer to race day.

51st Annual 24 Hours of Daytona

January 26/27 2013

Daytona Beach, Florida

The Debut of the new GX class with another strong DP and GT entry list for this year.

Live Video Feed (Speed.com/Motor Racing Network commentary)

http://stream.speedtv.com/rolex24

Radio Le Mans commentary

http://radiolemans.0157.org/nplayer.php

Live Timing and Scoring

http://www.grand-am.com/LiveTimingScoring.aspx

Discuss.

Last edited:
Which Nascar drivers are running in this event?

As far as I know:

DP: Jamie McMurray, Juan Pablo Montoya, A.J. Allmendinger
GT: Clint Bowyer, Michael Waltrip

There are also a bunch of IndyCar drivers, including Champ Ryan Hunter-Reay and Dario Franchitti.

I know it's a bit early to have this up, but I want to be ready in time :P Hopefully we can get this thread moving like it was last year, honestly the most fun I've ever had watching a race on TV..

Is Travis Pastrana running it again or was that just a one off?

Not on the entry list so far. I know nothing about him so I am having to look on driverdb.com for his career so far and I see he raced with AF-Waltrip last year. All seats at AF seem to be filled by Rui Agas, Michael Waltrip, Robert Kauffman and Clint Bowyer.

But theirs seats to fill at Muehler in the #19 Porsche and in the #51 APR Motorsports. So their time and teams.

As far as I know:

DP: Jamie McMurray, Juan Pablo Montoya, A.J. Allmendinger
GT: Clint Bowyer, Michael Waltrip

There are also a bunch of IndyCar drivers, including Champ Ryan Hunter-Reay and Dario Franchitti.

No Hendrick Motorsports drivers?

I noticed two DP2s on track in the photos from speed.com, but who's running them? I remember nearly every team confirm they were running DP3s.

Changed my Avatar now the build up has started... I'm happy so long as one of the Ganassi cars wins :) The NASCAR fan in me wants Montoya's car to win, the DTM fan in me wants Hand's car to win, the BMW fan inside just wants either car to win! :D

I didn't realize AJ was racing this year again as he was never said til he posted a fast time.

I must say, I wish there was more NASCAR drivers. No Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, no Jimmie Johnson. Seemed like these guys use to come to the 24 every year.

Here is the TV schedule for speed. Looks like we're getting 15.5 hours of race coverage along with 30 minutes prerace and 30 minutes post race. They're showing the first 8.5 hours and the last 6.5 hours of the race.

Part 1 3:00pm - 12:00am est
Part 2 9:00am - 4:00pm est

Earth
I must say, I wish there was more NASCAR drivers. No Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, no Jimmie Johnson. Seemed like these guys use to come to the 24 every year.

Here is the TV schedule for speed. Looks like we're getting 15.5 hours of race coverage along with 30 minutes prerace and 30 minutes post race. They're showing the first 8.5 hours and the last 6.5 hours of the race.

I'm pretty sure those guys only ran first few years of DP, which seems to be marketing scheme to get NASCAR fans over along with some highly level drivers in those cars.

Would be cool to see Barrichello give it a go or any other F1 driver for that matter.

Er, isn't he competing in a Porsche with Tony Kanaan? :dunce:

Not to mention we've already got ex-F1 drivers in:
Bourdais, McNish, Montoya, Fittipaldi, Piquet Jr, Magnussen, Winkelhock, Lamy, Davidson, Sarrazin...

As Earth says, it lacks NASCAR drivers really.

Would be cool to see Barrichello give it a go or any other F1 driver for that matter.

I'm not so sure any current Formula 1 Drivers will attend it because the Pre-Season and time they have to develop the new car is shorter than ever meaning they will be working on the new cars nearly every day.

And especially as the 24 Hours of Daytona is only a couple of days before the first test event it is highly doubtful.

Certainly it would be impossible for F1 drivers to attend. It seems once you get tied down to a contract with a team you have to honour that contract and help with any developments. That is why you never see names like Sebastian Vettel and Jenson Button compete. Their not as free to compete for other teams as ALMS drivers for instance. But it does help if the engine is made by the same team you race for. As in the case of Olivier Gavin. I could be wrong but I think the drive could have been influenced by the fact the engine powering the Spirit of Daytona is from Corvette.

Last edited:
F1 teams are quite paranoid about their drivers competing in other events for fear of injury. You only have to look at Mark Webber's cycling accident or of course Robert Kubica to see why.

Most other race series are not quite on the same level of prestige as F1, so the contracts don't tend to be as restrictive. Your average race team is happy just to have a great driver in the seat who brings some cash!

And Oliver Gavin is a factory Chevrolet driver, so yeah, where Chevrolet goes, he goes.

Not bad, I'm guessing someone will have a livestream up like last year for the hours Speed goes "off air" and shows year old NASCAR races and infomercials? :P

Not bad, I'm guessing someone will have a livestream up like last year for the hours Speed goes "off air" and shows year old NASCAR races and infomercials? :P

Why do they go off air anyway? Are the ratings of an overnight broadcast really so low that showing infomercials is more profitable?

Maybe its something simple as speed not having enough crew or play by play guys to cover it all night...so they cut out from midnight to 9 am to give them some rest.

The point of spending 24 hours watching a 24 hour race is being there live at the critical race changing moment when that engine fails or that driver makes a mistake. If you cut 9 hours out of a race with no coverage your chances of seeing race changing revelations goes down 35%.

Why do they go off air anyway? Are the ratings of an overnight broadcast...

They usually stream some minimal coverage online overnight with or without commentators. I don't know why they can't just broadcast that stuff as well instead of the crappy reruns and infomercials. I can't imagine that it's some big loss of ad revenue.

Marcos Ambrose has been signed and will race the #60 Michael Shank racing car, replacing the injured Oswaldo Negri

👍

Earth
Marcos Ambrose has been signed and will race the #60 Michael Shank racing car, replacing the injured Oswaldo Negri

👍

I want to see him and Nelson Piquet racing!

Back