2013 Rolex 24 at Daytona (Grand-Am)

• Thread starter Mac K
  • 841 comments
Might they do the Online coverage with John Hindaugh and the one guy on the roof again? That was pretty neat.

Yeah it was! John Hindhaugh's great. I always like listening to his commentary. We're quite lucky here in the UK because when Speed goes to an advert break, MotorsTV still show's the race, most of the time anyway.

This will be my second year watching the Daytona 24. I just so happen to have the Saturday off work :sly:

Yesssss. Andy must be antsy for a win with such a disappointing season in DTM. Who are the other BMW drivers? Auberlen, I presume, would be one of them.

Yesssss. Andy must be antsy for a win with such a disappointing season in DTM. Who are the other BMW drivers? Auberlen, I presume, would be one of them.

I'd like to see Boris in the car with him again!

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/newsitem.aspx?showarticle=253

Amesbury, MA. – Janaury 15th, 2013 -- For a second consecutive year Turner Motorsport will open the GRAND-AM season with an outstanding driver lineup at the Rolex 24 at Daytona in its two GT class BMW M3s.

Bill Auberlen and Paul Dalla Lana will anchor the effort for a fourth consecutive year and, like last season; the 2013 Rolex 24 lineup will feature more BMW drivers from all over the world. Billy Johnson, Michael Marsal and Boris Said return and will be joined by Gunter Schaldach. BMW Motorsport will place two drivers on the squad this year.

The newest BMW Motorsport driver, Maxime Martin, of Brussels, Belgium, will be making his North American racing debut at the Rolex 24. The 26-year old finished second in the 2012 BMW Sport Trophy after a strong season racing a BMW Z4 GT3 in the Blancpain Endurance Series and a BMW ALPINA B6 GT3 in the ADAC GT Masters.

Triple World Touring Car champion Andy Priaulx, of Guernsey, will also join Turner Motorpsort at the Rolex 24. Currently driving in the DTM for BMW Motorsport, Priaulx has a raft of GT racing experience. He co-drove to a win at the Nurburgring 24 in 2005 and a win at the 12 Hours of Sebring in 2011

http://www.grand-am.com/News/GA_New...ex-24-at-daytona-coverage.aspx?cid=6383&sid=1

Not every fan can attend the Jan. 26-27 GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car Series Rolex 24 At Daytona.

The next best way to enjoy America’s premier sports car race? On SPEED, which this week announced its comprehensive broadcast coverage of the twice-around-the-clock racing classic.

SPEED will feature 15 hours of coverage – 3-11 p.m. ET on Saturday and 9 a.m.-4 p.m. on Sunday.

In addition, SPEED.com will carry overnight coverage (11 p.m.-9 a.m.) utilizing rooftop and in-car cameras plus the radio call from MRN’s Mike Bagley, Jeff Striegle, Kyle Rickey and Buddy Long. MRN is devoting 25 hours of live coverage to the event anchored by Eli Gold and Preston Root.

In-car cameras will operate throughout the entire 24 hour event.

SPEED’s team is a virtual who’s-who of motorsports broadcasting. Bob Varsha will host and share play-by-play duties with Brian Till.
Five analysts – Brian Till, Calvin Fish, Dorsey Schroeder, Tommy Kendall and Justin Bell – will lend their expertise to the broadcast. Bell also doubles as a pit reporter.

Four staff members will provide comprehensive information on pit road and throughout the garages: Chris Neville, Jamie Howe, Matt Yocum, and Andrew Marriott.

The Feb. 25 Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge GRAND-AM 200 event will air 4-6 p.m. ET Saturday, Feb. 2.

As a scene-setter, SPEED will air a special, one-hour recap of last year’s 50th Rolex 24 At Daytona entitled “24 Hours of Daytona Presented by Continental Tire.” The show captures the essence of the event and features interviews with GRAND-AM competitors such as Max Papis, Ricky Taylor, Memo Rojas, Patrick Dempsey and this year’s Grand Marshal Hurley Haywood.

The show also airs at 8 and 11 p.m. ET on Jan. 25 and at 2 p.m. ET Jan. 26 – the hour before live coverage of this year’s race begins.

:)

Well that answers the questions about overnight coverage.

I'm getting super stoked about going! I thought it was going to rain but looks like that forecast changed.

Andrew Marriott.

Sweet! Totally my favorite pit reporter.

In 2009(?) he did easily the most obnoxious interview of Colin Kolles, ever. Sadly, I cant find a link, but I'm sure it's in the Speed Broadcast

UK MotorsTV Coverage:

(UK Time)
Saturday 8:00pm to 4:00am Sunday
Sunday 2:00pm to 8:30pm

So about 15 hours out of 24, not too bad really.

I'm pretty bummed about the fact that Radio Le Mans won't be covering it, but at least the team that they have is pretty good. Looking forward to next weekend.

Just got tickets for this event, infield and grandstand areas. Only time in my life I wish I had a van (to sleep in). I was originally going to Mecum Auto auction but decided to just do this and catch Barrett Jackson when it comes to Palm beach instead.

Someone may stream it on Justin.tv I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Diehardracer
I think Grand-Am TV will be streaming coverage of it on the official Grand-Am website.

Pretty sure timing will be online and you more than likely will be able to find a live stream somewhere like Justin TV

Pretty sure timing will be online and you more than likely will be able to find a live stream somewhere like Justin TV

Just seen when the 2012 Rolex 24hr at Daytona was posted on the Grand-Am TV page in the Race Broadcast menu on Rolex Series and it wasn't posted till February 24.

So likely it won't be streamed live. Which is a shame. But it seems theirs a number of websites which will however stream it. Cricfree.tv and Wiziwig will also be great. Cricfree streams SkySports 1 through to 4, Eurosport and ESPN and Wiziwig streams channels from all over the world. Well worth checking them out.

Just seen when the 2012 Rolex 24hr at Daytona was posted on the Grand-Am TV page in the Race Broadcast menu on Rolex Series and it wasn't posted till February 24.

So likely it won't be streamed live. Which is a shame. But it seems theirs a number of websites which will however stream it. Cricfree.tv and Wiziwig will also be great. Cricfree streams SkySports 1 through to 4, Eurosport and ESPN and Wiziwig streams channels from all over the world. Well worth checking them out.

I would say I would post but I have no idea how good cell service will be and I have no idea about wifi either. It's weird that some tracks offer wifi like Martinsville but big tracks don't.

Full quote from RLM's website:

Following on from the great success of our full, live broadcasts from the Rolex 24 last January, Radio Show Limited, Grand Am and MRN have been working toward an agreement which would have allowed RSL the same level of access and coverage for 2013. Agreements like this are complicated and time consuming. It is surely ironic, that in discussions regarding a 24 Hour race, the clock has won, with time simply running out before all details could be finalised. Despite RSL's commentators not being able to broadcast from Daytona International Speedway, the team will still be offering comprehensive coverage of the 51st running of this marquee event.

Paul Truswell, Nick Daman, Joe Bradley and John Hindhaugh will be calling the action from Thursday qualifying, Friday practice and of course the whole race live. The ongoing partnership with Motors TV will mean that the RSL audio will be augemented with live TV pictures for the majority of the race.

Adding to the flow of information live from the Speedway, will be several guests including Radiolemans.com pit lane reporter Shea Adam, Dailysportscar.com editor Graham Goodwin, Racecar Engineering Editor Andrew Cotton plus drivers and team personnel.

In the endeavour to make our broadcast from this year's Rolex 24 at Daytona a reality, RSL would like to recognise the efforts of everyone at Daytona, Grand Am, MRN, Speed and MotorsTV, the financial assistance of sponsors, plus support offered by teams, drivers and especially the fans of endurance racing in the USA, UK and worldwide.

Juan Montoya is fastest through the first practice in the #01 BMW Riley Ganassi car

I hate seeing the Corvette DPs so far off the pace

Back