2013 Rolex 24 at Daytona (Grand-Am)

• Thread starter Mac K
  • 841 comments
That was an interesting collection of adverts with some racing interrupting it. 👎

Montoya is the man in DP, Audi almost got a 1,2,3 and Porsche win GTX. 👍

Is Audi entering the DP ranks?

Nope, just GT it looks like for now. To be honest though, P1 might not be as big a loss for Audi in the states if this race has just proved anything.

Great race.

And Toyota competes in Nascar.. so they are not Japanese.. All 100% American Engineering... right?

It is TRD but apparently not a lot of Japanese engineering at all according to this article.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/tundra-and-lightning-building-toyotas-pushrod-v-8-page-6

In truth, White had more to do with designing TRD's integrated approach than anyone from Japan. This writer did not see a single Japanese engineer or executive, although a number did come to Daytona in February. Another group went to the race at Richmond last fall, where they got into a beer-chugging contest at a tailgating party and drank magaritas mixed with a gas-powered weed whacker (powered by a Honda, to their chagrin).

I really hope this result in GT pretty much means the GT3 type cars become the GT class and all of these old Prep 2 cars can be ditched. The fact that there was only one Camaro, One Corvette, One BMW (originally 2), all those Porsches and they all got beat by converted GT3 cars would defiantely convince me to make the jump. And not just by yellows, but the Ferrari's top end advantage and the Audi's less tire shreading balance on its rear tires pretty much conquered them.

AIM Autosports starts strong with a 3rd place finish. They are the reigning Champions. We'll see if they can hold off Audi this season.

That was fun, first race of the North American Racing season and what a hell of a start it was. Lots of fun guys, hope to see you all again for the 12 Hours of Sebring, or even that 12 Hours of Bathhurst race I keep hearing about.

I really hope this result in GT pretty much means the GT3 type cars become the GT class and all of these old Prep 2 cars can be ditched. The fact that there was only one Camaro, One Corvette, One BMW (originally 2), all those Porsches and they all got beat by converted GT3 cars would defiantely convince me to make the jump. And not just by yellows, but the Ferrari's top end advantage and the Audi's less tire shreading balance on its rear tires pretty much conquered them.

I really hope that's the case! But in the other hand with next year's merger the cars may become a bit to repetitive...

RACECAR

I'd miss them, but there is a GT3 spec Camaro, Corvette, and Viper though right? Seeing those in Grand-Am would be awesome. Glad we had another discussion again this year, even into the night and early morning, that's why I love endurance racing. Circuit of the Americas next, and Sebring is the next endurance. Roll on 2013 racing season! :)

Enjoyed the race! My 2nd Daytona 24, and while I did not last overnight, t'was still interesting to watch! Congrats to the winners too! Feel kind of bad for the Mazda's though - really hoped to see them finish.
Hope to see you guys at Sebring! :cheers:

I'd miss them, but there is a GT3 spec Camaro, Corvette, and Viper though right? Seeing those in Grand-Am would be awesome.

Camaro and Corvette yes (though I haven't seen the Vette around nearly as much in recent years), the Viper I believe still the old 2005 Competition coupe. Having GT3 versions of the cars would be great though for the series.

Regardless of the finish or politics or anything else, I always love the Rolex 24 mostly because it's signals the start of the real mainstream racing season.

Racing is back everybody.

I really will have to read this whole thread tomorrow when I get home but I have to say the 60 had one hell of a race to battle back twice for the win. Now I'm even more impressed with RumBum and that car looked awesome in person!

I really will have to read this whole thread tomorrow when I get home but I have to say the 60 had one hell of a race to battle back twice for the win. Now I'm even more impressed with RumBum and that car looked awesome in person!

So..........

You were there, how did you like it?

I always love going to races.

01GTP
So..........

You were there, how did you like it?

I always love going to races.

Besides being burnt, having issues all the way down and falling asleep from 9 pm til 3 am, I had a blast. I found out either have to do it big with the right camper or tent, don't do anything inbetween.

The racing was amazing and we were probably 30 yards for the bleachers that sat when they exit the infield into NASCAR 1. I got to meet AJ and Justin Wilson, and a ton of GT drivers. I actually preferred the night racing as it was hardly anyone out and just fun.

Oh and I loved the Brumos VW buses, this were sweet.

I guess I should add MSR put on a show tk get to 3rd, we left around 2:30 because our trailer has no running lights and get a jump on trip home. It seems none of teams I was pulling for had finishes they wish like Rum Bum running out of gas, Stevenson just having issues, and MSR couldn't keep up with BMW but no one else could either.

I will be back for sure, as overall it was a blast!

Last edited:
Man, what a great Victory for AJR! After such a horrible year with Lotus(without really) on the ALMS this must be a Huge moral booster for all of them really well deserved victory!

I didn't see the race, but I was checking out the Live Timing a couple of times. What baffles me about this race (besides the fact that a Porsche didn't win in GT ;) ) is how closely spaced all the cars are. At the 24 Hours of Le Mans, positions are separated by laps, not by time (figuratively speaking). How is it that the top 3 in DP and the top 6 in GT all managed to finish on the same lap? Coincidence? Design? Conditions?

I didn't see the race, but I was checking out the Live Timing a couple of times. What baffles me about this race (besides the fact that a Porsche didn't win in GT ;) ) is how closely spaced all the cars are. At the 24 Hours of Le Mans, positions are separated by laps, not by time (figuratively speaking). How is it that the top 3 in DP and the top 6 in GT all managed to finish on the same lap? Coincidence? Design? Conditions?

Daytona is about half the distance of La Sarthe. The track is more compact as well.

Daytona is about half the distance of La Sarthe. The track is more compact as well.

And there's a hell of a lot more yellows on Daytona than at LeMans so there's no real chance for cars to do 3-4hrs of racing uninterrupted at a time to put others a lap down...

And don't forget the waive around system during cautions, which helped some teams gain 8 laps to get on that lead lap.
None were the top 3 finishers (I think) but with the field bunching up and the waive around system during the long caution time I believe that would be the difference here at Daytona.

They also split the field at Le Mans.

Interesting suggestions for the difference.

And don't forget the waive around system during cautions, which helped some teams gain 8 laps to get on that lead lap.
None were the top 3 finishers (I think) but with the field bunching up and the waive around system during the long caution time I believe that would be the difference here at Daytona.
What is this "waive around system"? They let drivers that are behind pass other drivers that have lapped them under a caution? If so, that's... ridiculous.

They also split the field at Le Mans.
I must confess, I'm not familiar with what you're referring to here.

Back