2013 Rolex 24 at Daytona (Grand-Am)

• Thread starter Mac K
  • 841 comments
I see what you mean. I find it strange though that it only applies to grand am. and yes I'm aware other forms of motorsport have no windows ie. NASCAR I'm just talking about GT classes.

It's normal for lower levels of road racing in general on this side of the pond. I don't know what the history of allowing/not allowing windows is in Europe.

I sadly did not to follow this race. Here are a few notes for me to share.

* Usual suspect won in Daytona Prototype. I've always respected Ganassi Racing in all of the racing they've done. That even goes back to the Target Chip Ganassi days in (then) CART. Congrats to Ganassi on their win, speaking as a fair sport.

* An Audi 1-2-3. You'd expect this in some other form of sportscar racing, but to have a 1-2-3 at Daytona in the GT level is... let's be honest- pretty damn impressive. I loved hearing those Audi R8 GT cars. I've always loved the R8 road car as well as the Audi R8 GT cars.

* I didn't get to follow the GX class, but it was great seeing those lovely Mazda6 diesels compete. Just too bad they had plenty of problems. I just hope they'll get it together and become more competitive. Then too, sportscar racing can be pretty brutal in trying to get competitive out of the box.

* As far as lineups are concerned, I was pleased to hear of a first-ever mother and son combination. Melanie Snow (mom) and Madison Snow (son). Brothers racing together and a father-son combo is good. However, I think it is SO cool to have a mother-son combination and at a race like the 24 Hours of Daytona.

Congratulations to all survivors at the 24 Hours of Daytona. I just wished I could follow this race better. What I was able to see in highlights was very cool regardless.

Last edited:
I guess it's time to start planning next year! I'm going to take a risk and tent camp next year but some here might can help me out for time being. How do folks get to camp outside turn 4 with tents? And I planned to camp in a larger tent which I'd assume isn't an issue either?

It's funny how one race I went from NASCAR only outside desert racing to loving road racing as it is so much more laid back and fun.

Wilbur
I guess it's time to start planning next year! I'm going to take a risk and tent camp next year but some here might can help me out for time being. How do folks get to camp outside turn 4 with tents? And I planned to camp in a larger tent which I'd assume isn't an issue either?

It's funny how one race I went from NASCAR only outside desert racing to loving road racing as it is so much more laid back and fun.

The atmosphere is very warm. Everyone is happy to be there. The whole event seems real friendly.

cnd01
The atmosphere is very warm. Everyone is happy to be there. The whole event seems real friendly.

Without a doubt it is! I enjoyed my time there but next year will not miss any of night racing and hope to have a better camera.

Wilbur
Without a doubt it is! I enjoyed my time there but next year will not miss any of night racing and hope to have a better camera.

I used my phone lol. I don't own a camera lol.

I'm sure some bright mind on here can answer this question for me.

Why don't prototype cars and more "Le Mans Oriented" cars race at the Daytona 24 anymore?

The race record for laps was set by a Nissan R91CP, a Group C car. And as of early 2000's, cars like the Cadillac LMP cars and other similar cars which competed at Le Mans were also in the Daytona 24.

What happened to that? Now all that can be found are "GT" cars which are nowhere near the pace of the LM GT cars, and the only "prototypes" are the DP cars, which aren't REALLY prototypes, more like GT1 cars with sleek bodies.

If things were like they were 10 or 20 years ago, we'd be seeing REAL prototypes such as the Audi and Toyota LMP1 cars fighting for the lead.

Whatever caused this change? What happened to the top cars in Le Mans also competing in the Daytona 24? And will this resume (at least with LMP2) when ALMS and RSCS merge next year?

Why don't prototype cars and more "Le Mans Oriented" cars race at the Daytona 24 anymore?

The race record for laps was set by a Nissan R91CP, a Group C car. And as of early 2000's, cars like the Cadillac LMP cars and other similar cars which competed at Le Mans were also in the Daytona 24.

What happened to that? Now all that can be found are "GT" cars which are nowhere near the pace of the LM GT cars, and the only "prototypes" are the DP cars, which aren't REALLY prototypes, more like GT1 cars with sleek bodies.

If things were like they were 10 or 20 years ago, we'd be seeing REAL prototypes such as the Audi and Toyota LMP1 cars fighting for the lead.

Whatever caused this change? What happened to the top cars in Le Mans also competing in the Daytona 24? And will this resume (at least with LMP2) when ALMS and RSCS merge next year?

Basically, the factory teams left for what I assume was a far more interesting ALMS at the time and essentially, it just became a class with nothing but Priveteers in Ferraris, Rileys and of course, the troublesome reliability of Lola B2K/40s. Likewise, The same with GT as it was a abit of mess when they combined AGT (which was essentially a class full of old Trans-Am cars) and basically used GTS and GT cars. That, combined with the organization wanting to bring down speeds around the time when the series was obsessed with Rovals and the always troublesome cost of running LMPs, was what ended up bringing the DPs. Two years later in GT, the SGS class they ran only for a year had its regs combined with GT and this class happened. Thankfully, it took someone at Grand-Am (who ironically was a former member of GM) to relize its about time the DPs had abit of a makeover.

Judging by the fact that the classes combined and the fact that we basically are going to see a combined schedule of the two, we will see that resume.

I sadly did not to follow this race.

Me neither, except for the live timing and checking out the qualifying results. I wouldn't even have known it was happening if not for Porsche's social media people posting about it on Facebook.

An Audi 1-2-3. You'd expect this in some other form of sportscar racing, but to have a 1-2-3 at Daytona in the GT level is... let's be honest- pretty damn impressive.
I was shocked by this. Usually, GT racing is dominated by 911 GT3-Rs of some variety, if they're running. To see them sweep qualifying and be leading most of the race and then see that Audi R8s won... shocking, like I said. I don't really know how that happened. :)

* As far as lineups are concerned, I was pleased to hear of a first-ever mother and son combination. Melanie Snow (mom) and Madison Snow (son). Brothers racing together and a father-son combo is good. However, I think it is SO cool to have a mother-son combination and at a race like the 24 Hours of Daytona.
Ha! I did not know about that. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I was shocked by this. Usually, GT racing is dominated by 911 GT3-Rs of some variety, if they're running. To see them sweep qualifying and be leading most of the race and then see that Audi R8s won... shocking, like I said. I don't really know how that happened. :)

I'll tell you what happened: Dr Wolfgang Ulrich happened :lol:

The biggest difference is that the Audis had far more support this year and if I'm honest, their lineups in just the four cars they had were pretty serious, especially the almost all DTM lineup in the AJR car.

KinLM

Simply put: DP is more exciting of a race and cost less. That puts more cars on the track. There might not be any LMP in America after this year tbh.

The biggest difference is that the Audis had far more support this year and if I'm honest, their lineups in just the four cars they had were pretty serious, especially the almost all DTM lineup in the AJR car.

Reliability, then? (And it wasn't an Audi 1-2-3—it turns out it was an Audi 1-2 and a Ferrari 3-4.) Because the Porsches did very well in qualifying, taking the top 4 spots in GT, so it seems they didn't lack for speed. OTOH, the pole sitter in GT only finished 27% of the laps that the top 6 cars did, so that's rather embarrassing for Porsche.

The pole sitter blew a tire and crashed real early in the race. That wounded the car significantly. After that, they had more problems. The second place qualifier went to the back of the grid because they failed post qualifying inspection. They did make it to the front, but sadly they blew a tire as well which cost them about an hour's time for repairs. Brumos had problems late which put them out. TRG had problems with all 3 cars which only 1 even finished.

BTW: brumos is only racing Daytona, cota, barber, and road Atlanta at this point. :( They need sponsors bad.

Mac K
Brumos?! Nooooooooooo :( my fav team...

I've seen this coming sadly. They've gone from 2 full season DP cars to 1 gt in the last 5 years. The economy hasn't helped in the last 4 or 5 years either.

cnd01
I've seen this coming sadly. They've gone from 2 full season DP cars to 1 gt in the last 5 years. The economy hasn't helped in the last 4 or 5 years either.

It explains a lot then, I was curious what happened to them as a whole. I like them because of history but don't pull for them because of all the fans.

Thats easily one of the best motorsport videos on youtube.
It's nice, though I wish his helmet-cam handled the changes in lighting better. :( There are times when you can't see anything but his dashboard, which is really unfortunate.

The pole sitter blew a tire and crashed real early in the race. That wounded the car significantly. After that, they had more problems. The second place qualifier went to the back of the grid because they failed post qualifying inspection. They did make it to the front, but sadly they blew a tire as well which cost them about an hour's time for repairs. Brumos had problems late which put them out. TRG had problems with all 3 cars which only 1 even finished.
Hmm. I wonder if the Type 991 GT3 Cup has tire issues in general. And, more importantly, if this will carry forward to the inevitable 911 GT3-R (and GT3-RSR). (The 911s at Daytona were all Type 991 911 GT3 Cups, right?)

Pretty sure the Porsches at Daytona were 997s. Apart from the WEC GTE factory 991s, there won't be any until next year.

Pretty sure the Porsches at Daytona were 997s. Apart from the WEC GTE factory 991s, there won't be any until next year.
I didn't know Porsche still made 997 911 GT3 Cups.

In looking more closely at it, the taillights here...

e5f02b9e60735b502c2cde99418be3f7dd997383bc21e55d55d90d3f.jpg

..indeed, they do not look narrow enough to be a 991:

normal.jpg

(For comparison, here's the rear of a 997 GT3.)

Porsche-997-GT3-005-1.jpeg

EDIT: Found a picture of a 991 GT3 Cup. Yeah, the Daytona cars definitely aren't 991s:

normal.jpg

Last edited:
cnd01
I saw that somewhere. I would think a Rolex employee would know about the Rolex 24.

Wasn't a Rolex Employee. Just local shop down the street he went to, but man that cracks me up.

Back