2013 UBS Chinese Grand Prix

• Thread starter lbsf1
  • 476 comments
Well, checking different sources, looks like I'm right Simon.

Seb's S1/S2 were challenging Ricciardo's before the lockup in S3, where as Hulk and Button were 10s+ down by the end of S2.

He did indeed mess up his flyer. But anyway, their position is better now than if they had finished a good lap on those tires since they only would've gone up a couple spots and been forced to use the scrubbed tires. Now he's starting 9th, but gets to choose his set, doesn't have to use those Mediums (which have a flat spot on them as well btw. That means they'll have to come up with a strategy that doesn't use them).

That's why I was, and still am, laughing :)

@neljack
Tough to say, really tough, it's going to be intense to see it play out. They'll all be on equal terms by the end of the first half of the race, things will get really complex after their second or third stops. I have a feeling the top five will be able to pull it off though, Q3 was really neat and tidy, everyone waited till the last possible moment and set their one lap, so the difference in deg. won't be too wild.

Gut's telling me Softs are right, those starting on the Mediums will really have to push on their Softs late in the race and may have a tough time keeping things together if they're caught up following any cars for too long. We'll have a situation like what happened to Sutil in Australia, but not as bad since China much more open.

Last edited:
Vettel was already going slowly when he locked up and he said there was no flat spot because of the speed. Whatever he was doing he was already going slow before the lock up, it wasn't a mistake that cost him or why Ricciardo beat him.

More information coming out, I read the AS article talking about how he had a brake problem. He must've encountered it right after S2, 'cause the lap was on a decent pace up to then. He slowed down, possibly starting to feel the brake pedal getting long, then did a slow lock up. Still isn't clear, probably won't be cleared up anyway. Wasn't trying to call him an amateur or anything. I laugh when I'm amazed sometimes, and Daniel's P7 due to teams being scared of Softs was amazing.

Mark will be a force.

It's gonna be a great race :D:tup:

IJXyR6W.png

Last edited:
So once again the tyres make for a dull qualifying.

Would you prefer it the other way around? I can remember some really exciting qualifying sessions followed by extremely dull races in the bridgestone era.

F1 fan
Would you prefer it the other way around? I can remember some really exciting qualifying sessions followed by extremely dull races in the bridgestone era.

I would prefer more balanced racing. Tomorrow is going to be dominated by the rubber again with lots of simple passes no doubt.

Nobody wants processions but they've gone too far into random with the tyres IMO.

Interesting to see the different strategies of the teams/drivers, lets see how far off the pace Vettel and Button will be at the start but they may be more consistent and really rise up the order.

On the note of tyres, why not have as suggested, a special extra-soft sticky tyre for qualifying? It will give the FIA what they want with varied tyre strategy as well as the fans a great qualifying session where all cars are out on track.

What are the cons to a qualy tyre if I'm missing it?

So once again the tyres make for a dull qualifying.

How so?

If anything the tyres were dull a few years ago when cars either made 1 stop or 2 stops and all we got to see were cars cruising around for 90 minutes. At least now the tyres are a critical part of every strategy, as well as it gives some fantastic action on-track.

If anything, I applaud Pirelli for making the tyres so fragile.

How so? Did you miss the fact that no drivers came out for most of Q1 then did only a couple of laps each, then we end up with 6 proper flying laps total in Q3, all because the soft tyres degrade too much?

This is supposed to be Formula 1, not Formula Pirelli.

Agreed 👍

We don't need to change the tires at all even, just give them an extra set of tires to make things more... you know, racey. :)

The tyre situation wouldn't be so bad if we still had refuelling.

I understand why they banned it but I miss it.

How so?

If anything the tyres were dull a few years ago when cars either made 1 stop or 2 stops and all we got to see were cars cruising around for 90 minutes. At least now the tyres are a critical part of every strategy, as well as it gives some fantastic action on-track.

If anything, I applaud Pirelli for making the tyres so fragile.
Before we used to have cars driving on ragged edge most of the time, now we have cars cruising to a set time decided by strategy people. KERS and DRS have helped mask Pirelli's anti-racing tyres a lot, I like these comments: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106731

The thing is, drivers can't push like they used to even if they wanted to as tyres are so fragile and thermally degrade that there is a massive pace loss if they try to do a fast lap or a number of them consecutively. Due to the way the tyres are, if you go too quick on a lap or overwork tyres, you would have to go really slow to get the tyres back (Cooling them down) to not lose too much time in stint.

Just hope that FIA have plans to replace Pirelli or make new changes.

Lewis Hamilton's awesome pole lap (S2!!):

Ted's notebook for quali:

Highly unlikely, like it or not, Pirelli is doing exactly what FIA asked them to do.
Well look at this for example: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns25188.html

and I don't think even FIA would have intended tyres to have such problems like delamination, a lot of marbles due to tyre pieces flying off a lot and all while drivers going at a very slow pace. From what I understand, they wanted more stops although I don't know the point of having more stops, I want more wheel to wheel racing on track than having multiple undercuts or free passes. KERS and DRS with tyres that you can race with should provide that.

Gut's telling me Softs are right, those starting on the Mediums will really have to push on their Softs late in the race and may have a tough time keeping things together if they're caught up following any cars for too long. We'll have a situation like what happened to Sutil in Australia, but not as bad since China much more open.
Full load of fuel on worn options at the start vs sticker options with low fuel in the last 10 laps =Vettel/Button 1-2 finish.

I hope it rains...;)

One of the dullest quali's for a long time...:indiff:

Well done to Lewis though...Webber gets the worst luck at the worst time!

Latest Posts

Back