2013 US G.D. - Racecamp is finished! Nick McMillen (GumballCGT) is our champion!

• Thread starter Wardez
  • 1,566 comments
Do you play with a wheel or no? And do you only play Automatic?

And man, I'll give you some sympathy for being brave enough to admit that was you, but I have to critique you and tell you don't be that guy. Don't be the guy who comes in under prepared and not really suitable for real racing. Think about the guys who were maybe on the bubble being just one place too low to place in the national qualifyer or something. Maybe they were only a few hundredths slower, but what if they could shift?
To explain the first part, it's a wheel and I always use manual.

Was I under-prepared? Probably but again, driving actual cars was something new for GT Academy this year. Even if I had known in advance, it would've been me with maybe a month of experience going against others that have spent countless years not only using manual but perfecting its use on an actual track. That's a massive disadvantage to narrow down in such little time and there were others on the same boat. In fact, I knew at least one person that knew cars well enough but had scant experience with a kart and they had to go compete in that race. It's a bad hand to deal with but you play it anyways. We all have our areas of weaknesses and there's only so much you can do to fix them. I'd say I would need two years just to have a legitimate shot considering the talent I went up against; all I had was three minutes.
Rich, I liked it. The music they played was pretty cool.
I found it too predictable, actually. I really wanted something that would say "Here comes James May!" :lol:
:lol:

If you don't make it in 2014, you'll have to deal with me in 2015! :D
Very possible I'll see you, then. It will be a while before I could afford what I want to buy as both a practice car and a daily driver, a used manual 370Z. Something I learned about the NISMO Z is that my knees doesn't bang the rim like with most other sport cars. Big plus!

There's one major point I do want to raise for anyone going to future Finals. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they become closer to the European counterpart.

I'd say I would need two years just to have a legitimate shot considering the talent I went up against; all I had was three minutes.

Very possible I'll see you, then. It will be a while before I could afford what I want to buy as both a practice car and a daily driver, a used manual 370Z. Something I learned about the NISMO Z is that my knees doesn't bang the rim like with most other sport cars. Big plus!

There's one major point I do want to raise for anyone going to future Finals. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they become closer to the European counterpart.

You shouldn't need 2 years and definitely don't need a 370z. Silverstone was my first time on track and I threw down the 2nd or 3rd fastest time in our first benchmark (2012), then stayed near the top the whole time. I bought a Miata and just started autocrossing that same year, only got 5 events (PAX'd the last one w00t) before heading to GTA. Practice makes perfect, sure, but whether or not you can translate in game speed to the real world should become evident REALLY quickly once you get just a little bit of confidence slinging the car around. Kinda like Robb Barff's quote they pointed out. So whether you pick up a crap box Miata or find some one that will let you co-drive just get out there and give it a go, then attack it again next year. Good luck!

Rich you may just want to go get a used G27 so you can practice the whole clutch & H pattern thing cheaply with the game. The clutch in the game is way more touchy than a real one so it will make a real one seem easier. You can even practice heel toe and everything. You can also practice shifting with your left hand, which I did a lot of before going to silverstone just in case.

Rich you may just want to go get a used G27 so you can practice the whole clutch & H pattern thing cheaply with the game. The clutch in the game is way more touchy than a real one so it will make a real one seem easier. You can even practice heel toe and everything. You can also practice shifting with your left hand, which I did a lot of before going to silverstone just in case.

I picked up a G27 the beginning of this year, never touching a manual before. I learned manual really well, to the point where manual is all I use and I don't like using automatic that much anymore. I've only used manual with my right hand, and I think I'll use my left soon, which I'll probably fail at, lol... how realistic would you guys say the manual is in gt5, compared to real life?

This is exactly how I learned to drive a manual. After using it for a while, my dad bought a Mazda 3 with a 6-speed. I had a go in it, and he said I was a natural at it. :D

There's a reason this competition actually works for finding drivers. Gran Turismo really gives us a great starting point and a lot of what we pick up transfers well to reality.

The clutch in real life is really different than when usin a sim pedal. The biggest thing is that there's no bite point you can feel, which is arguably the most important factor in getting down driving stick in real life.

And until we have force feedback clutch pedals and stick shifters, software can't do much to make it more realistic.

I have been practicing my heel toe on my way to and from work everyday gettting much better after 30mins of driving everyday. Neibours are starting to get the ***** but

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kudos on winning the autocross. I have a lot of experience in this type of driving (with cones, slaloms and other technical elements) and even got to spend the majority of the autocross season this year codriving with a friend who had a 2009 Sport Package. In other words, I was the most prepared for this type of test and it showed, taking the gold by several seconds.

For those that don't know what autocross is, it's exactly what this challenge was: a low-speed (2nd gear, although we used 3rd in many parts of the Monticello course) series of gates defined by cones, including different types of elements such as offsets and slaloms. I would suspect the time I gained vs. the field was in the slaloms. Getting into them quickly without getting off-line, maintaining spatial-awareness and staying tight on the cones while setting up for a strong exit with maximum power as early as possible.

On a related note, autocrossing is the cheapest way to get behind the wheel of a real car and learn car control skills, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to prepare themselves for the academy. If you have the budget though, get on a real racetrack. The best preparation is practice which most closely resembles the final testing environment :)

Now, who's ready to see us jump through fireballs and get electrocuted in the mud?? =P

You shouldn't need 2 years and definitely don't need a 370z. Silverstone was my first time on track and I threw down the 2nd or 3rd fastest time in our first benchmark (2012), then stayed near the top the whole time. I bought a Miata and just started autocrossing that same year, only got 5 events (PAX'd the last one w00t) before heading to GTA. Practice makes perfect, sure, but whether or not you can translate in game speed to the real world should become evident REALLY quickly once you get just a little bit of confidence slinging the car around. Kinda like Robb Barff's quote they pointed out. So whether you pick up a crap box Miata or find some one that will let you co-drive just get out there and give it a go, then attack it again next year. Good luck!
I say the Z mainly because I'd rather buy something that I'll keep regardless of what happens with Academy. I'm guessing 2 years to be in a situation where I can afford such a car and be good enough to not only make it to Silverstone but also have a real chance of winning the competition outright. Remember that it took me this long just to make Finals because there were so many others faster than me in Gran Turismo.

Back to the program itself, I'm disappointed they didn't show more of the races. There were at least two of them that had the room in cahoots because of close finishes.
For those that don't know what autocross is, it's exactly what this challenge was: a low-speed (2nd gear, although we used 3rd in many parts of the Monticello course) series of gates defined by cones, including different types of elements such as offsets and slaloms. I would suspect the time I gained vs. the field was in the slaloms. Getting into them quickly without getting off-line, maintaining spatial-awareness and staying tight on the cones while setting up for a strong exit with maximum power as early as possible.
And guess which GT license tests I struggle the most at? That and those cones last year at Motegi and IRL at Monticello? I should've run them over! :lol:
Now, who's ready to see us jump through fireballs and get electrocuted in the mud?? =P
Can't wait! :dopey:

Last edited:
On a related note, autocrossing is the cheapest way to get behind the wheel of a real car and learn car control skills, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to prepare themselves for the academy. If you have the budget though, get on a real racetrack. The best preparation is practice which most closely resembles the final testing environment :)

I'll second that (except for the mud part... my scars are still healing). The first thing I did when I got my acceptance email was buy a helmet and sign up for any autocross within 100 miles (wanted to rally cross too but that's not a miata job). All seat time is good seat time and that's definitely the cheapest and easiest to get into. If for no other reason do one to get the nerves out of the way (though you may also bump into a previous finalist to get help from like I did).

I say the Z mainly because I'd rather buy something that I'll keep regardless of what happens with Academy. I'm guessing 2 years to be in a situation where I can afford such a car and be good enough to not only make it to Silverstone but also have a real chance of winning the competition outright. Remember that it took me this long just to make Finals because there were so many others faster than me in Gran Turismo.

If I were you I wouldn't assume GT Academy will be around in 2 years. I would get whatever I can afford, autocross the hell out of it (definitely take a novice school) or find some one willing to let me co-drive their car. You made the assumption finals would be all in-game and you could get the real world driving in later...that bit you in the ass, something to be learned there. If you're serious about going to Silverstone then assume nothing and get started NOW. You obviously have the in-game talent, you just need to translate it to the real world and a nice sports car ($$) isn't required for that. Grats on making it as far as you did, if you can do it once, you can do it again. Good luck!

Just my 2 cents.

If I were you I wouldn't assume GT Academy will be around in 2 years. I would get whatever I can afford, autocross the hell out of it (definitely take a novice school) or find some one willing to let me co-drive their car. You made the assumption finals would be all in-game and you could get the real world driving in later...that bit you in the ass, something to be learned there. If you're serious about going to Silverstone then assume nothing and get started NOW. You obviously have the in-game talent, you just need to translate it to the real world and a nice sports car ($$) isn't required for that. Grats on making it as far as you did, if you can do it once, you can do it again. Good luck!

Just my 2 cents.

Wise words from Mr. Austin Cobb:tup:

Your tire change was just hilarious :lol:

Yeah, that's the only time they weren't kind to me in the edit... Those wheel holes are really tight and the gloves they had for pit work were awkward so after Brian did the first stop he recommended we pull the socket off the gun and use that to spin the nuts on quicker. Unfortunately the socket was really deep, the nuts were really small, and the wheels only gave you about 5 threads to grab. So the nut would recess into the socket so far it wouldn't grab the stud.

So we took a risk and got burnt... that kind of dumb luck happens (even F1 crews manage to eff up tire changes with center locks). That was one of the few times we never got any practice, or even a good look at the wheels before having to do it. I got no regrets though, was a great experience. The only thing I would complain about is that someone (even if it wasn't me) had to get bounced on something other that driving (assault course + unfortunate pit crewing != racing).

Looks like they finally got some reality TV drama out of Crider and...Hill? Dun dun dun.

Lol. They tried to get more out of me constantly. After the slow pit stop with Pat they were all excited trying to get me to say something bad about him but I wouldn't cause it was an honest mistake that any of us could have made. Those gloves were so annoying. My pit stop was really slow also. They just choose to highlight Tim's for some reason.

Your tire change was just hilarious :lol:

I have a feeling when 2015 comes around, I'm not gonna enjoy the athletic stuff. :lol:

Start training now! You definitely deserve to be there based on you speed! It would suck to lose out because of that.

Going to watch the 2nd episode now (just to watch Dr_Watson mess up ;))

EDIT: Ahh Tim was rooting for you! You did a great job!

Last edited:
Start training now! You definitely deserve to be there based on you speed! It would suck to lose out because of that.

Going to watch the 2nd episode now (just to watch Dr_Watson mess up ;))

I agree. Anyone who wants to seriously go for it get in shape now. If I could do it all again that's the one thing I would do differently. The physical stuff is much harder than it looks on TV.

I was only in moderately good condition last year and had little problem with the physical stuff, other than getting smoked by Jett. I kinda want to do the bleep test and go run the quadrathalon again just to see how much I've improved since then...if confident you have a real shot at Silverstone, start something like T-25, crossfit, etc (high intensity cardio/lifting things). I started crossfit 3 weeks ago, if you're willing to suffer it'll do the trick, best workouts I've ever had. Throw in some running/cycling/etc and you won't have to worry about the physical stuff from an elimination stand point.

I agree. Anyone who wants to seriously go for it get in shape now. If I could do it all again that's the one thing I would do differently. The physical stuff is much harder than it looks on TV.

Yeah, what I found out is we're old. :lol: If you're 24 you can start preparing in June like I did and be fine. If you're 34 you need to start preparing now for next year. If you're not active in your daily life after 30 it takes a lot more training and maintenance to get to the same level.

I had no problem running at the front on flat land, plank test, reactions, etc... My problem was that I was still accustomed to the invincible 20's mentality that my metabolism is always going to be able to just make as much energy as my muscles want on demand. Not the case; I hit the marathon runner's wall on the Assault course and my body just increasingly refused to cooperate with what I was asking it to do. Ten years of sedentary office work sapped all my endurance, and that's not something that can be replaced without lots of work over a long period of time.

If I had to give any advice I would say don't focus on strength or speed... train for endurance. If I had to do it all again I would have tracked down an Olympic pool and run long distance practices. If you can do a mile in the pool at a good pace you can do everything that's required. The physical stuff has the least impact on your "grading", so you don't need to be a super-star.

If I had to give any advice I would say don't focus on strength or speed... train for endurance. If I had to do it all again I would have tracked down an Olympic pool and run long distance practices. If you can do a mile in the pool at a good pace you can do everything that's required. The physical stuff has the least impact on your "grading", so you don't need to be a super-star.

I guess it depends on what you consider 'long distance'. As an ultra runner I would say long distance/endurance is wholly unnecessary, time consuming and risks too much chance of over-use injury - minus swimming. Something like crossfit on the other hand builds all sorts of strength, muscle endurance (in the scope of the activities we're talking about) and when scaled/performed properly has low probability of injury. The horror stories of it are based on people going in over their head. Gotta keep the ego in check ;) It also only takes 15-20 minutes 3-4 days a week, can't beat that.

I guess it depends on what you consider 'long distance'. As an ultra runner I would say long distance/endurance is wholly unnecessary, time consuming and risks too much chance of over-use injury - minus swimming. Something like crossfit on the other hand builds all sorts of strength, muscle endurance (in the scope of the activities we're talking about) and when scaled/performed properly has low probability of injury. The horror stories of it are based on people going in over their head. Gotta keep the ego in check ;) It also only takes 15-20 minutes 3-4 days a week, can't beat that.
My prep for Nationals was to run a mile every day for a month. That's it. My pace improved from 8:30/mile to 7 min mile. I was one of the better prepared competitors physically. They aren't asking you to be an Olympic athlete.

...I average 6:30 miles over a 5k, hardly Olympic (sub-5 minute miles over a marathon ;)). Nothing I described is terribly difficult, just general fitness that everyone should aspire to, GT Academy or not. The benefit is that you'll have absolutely zero issues at race camp if you're already in good condition, one less thing to worry about.

Yeah, what I found out is we're old. :lol: If you're 24 you can start preparing in June like I did and be fine. If you're 34 you need to start preparing now for next year. If you're not active in your daily life after 30 it takes a lot more training and maintenance to get to the same level.

I had no problem running at the front on flat land, plank test, reactions, etc... My problem was that I was still accustomed to the invincible 20's mentality that my metabolism is always going to be able to just make as much energy as my muscles want on demand. Not the case; I hit the marathon runner's wall on the Assault course and my body just increasingly refused to cooperate with what I was asking it to do. Ten years of sedentary office work sapped all my endurance, and that's not something that can be replaced without lots of work over a long period of time.

One thing I didn't find out till I got back from Silverstone is that I re-injured my back in the assault course. I had broken my back when I was 15 when I first started racing karts so had a bad back to begin with. I knew I was hurting physically while there but I didn't know until I saw my chiropractor that my legs were basically shut off from the injury. When he did the muscle tests on my legs I had no control over them.

I know if I was either in better shape or younger I would have recovered faster. I definitely feel I could have performed better in everything I did there if I had either been younger or in better shape. My point is if this is something you are serious about then take everything serious including the fitness.

Back