2014/15 Premier League and General Football Discussion

• Thread starter Pagey279
  • 1,959 comments
Watford already hold the sack record.

Me In October
Watford are on their fourth manager of the season and it's only October! Beppe Sannino quit in August, Oscar Garcia resigned due to health issues at the end of September, his deputy Billy McKinlay officially took over as manager only to be replaced by Slavisa Jokanovic after eight days! That's 4 full-time managers in 37 days. Surely a record?

I wonder why they'd be talking to someone else at all.

Apparently Jokanovic was in negotiations to sign a new contract with Watford but he received a better offer from another club and Watford wouldn't match it so I don't think he was sacked.

Jurgen Klopp will be a good fit for Liverpool.

former Atletico Madrid manager Quique Flores has been contacted about the managerial position at Watford and said to be in advanced talks...

Napoli will hold news conference tomorrow regarding Benitez who is strong favourite to be next Real Madrid manager...

All about managers at the moment isn't it?!

Dick Advocaat stops as a club trainer, and will not stay with Sunderland. He says his age, 67, is the main reason.

Been a busy day for FIFA!!

While on the topic of Fifa:

They just banned a Swedish broadcaster from using the term "football world cup" for the women's world cup, insisting that the proper term is "checkers world cup".

You see, in Swedish we always say the sport first and then the level of the championship. So the world cup in ice hockey is "ice hockey world cup" (ishockey-VM), the world cup in football is "football world cup" (fotbolls-VM), etc.

Now, Fifa say that this can only be used for the men's world cup and that the women's world cup must use a women prefix instead of a sports prefix. The problem with that, however, is that the same prefix is used for a board game, namely checkers. So "women's world cup" (dam-VM) actually means "checkers world cup" (dam-VM) in Swedish.

Fine, Fifa has a brand that they want to manage. But in my opinion this is just like when Honda tried to launch a car named like a lady's private parts. Yes, they called it the Honda 🤬, because just like Fifa they had no insight (hehe) in how the Swedish language works.

Its extraordinary what's been happening, this could be the beginning of the end for the current group of people in charge of the game, although with the election still going ahead Blatter is still expected to win....

Y'know, every time the Scottish media harks on about Rangers being 'needed' in the top flight I don't even need to react since they do the job of proving we don't need them every time.

Literally got beat 3-1 at home off a team who barely won a game all season. If they go up it will just be more embarrassing for them at this rate.

I couldn't quite believe the scoreline when I saw it just after half-time... Rangers were a complete shambles until they went 3-0 down, but getting a goal back makes quite a bit of difference... I wouldn't be surprised if Rangers still get promotion, but it would be rather funny if they didn't.

On the other hand, Rangers could be in serious jeopardy if they don't secure promotion - their parlous financial situation is not going to improve much with another season in the Championship, and if they continue to play as badly as they have been playing recently, they will face a tough season against Hibs and will struggle to get automatic promotion next season. There is a possibility that Rangers could go under if they don't get promotion this year.

Stuart McCall has a horror start to this season with Motherwell, and now is failing to take Rangers up.

How long has he been on the Celtic payroll?

Been a pretty shocking week for this great game we call Football....Help us FBI, your our only hope!!

So when are we going to start the thread for next season?, there is only one game left know and that's the Champions League final and there is a thread for that, I reckon we should start the thread next week....

mPb50Og.gif

Is there anything more to be said for Messi? A stationary position from just inside the opposition half and then bang, four beaten players later and it's in the net. I ran out of superlatives about four years ago. Insanity.

Last edited:
So when are we going to start the thread for next season?, there is only one game left know and that's the Champions League final and there is a thread for that, I reckon we should start the thread next week....
Don't we normally have a transfer thread which is used more around this period?

Yeah there is, I don't know what happened there, think I read somewhere that the summer transfer window in the Premier League opens on 9th June....just saying...

The Sydney didn't actually play as bad as I assumed they would, granted, Spurs never broke sweat.
Domestically, we have some pretty good teams - the likes of Sydney FC, Melbourne Victory, Brisbane Roar and (on a good day) the Western Sydney Wanderers could probably compete pretty consistently in the Football League Championship or Football League One.

But the biggest problem we have is that the game only has very limited support structure. Last year, the Western Sydney Wanderers placed second in the A-League Grand Final, won the Asian Champions' League and placed fifth in the world club tournament, which isn't bad for a team in just its second year of existence. But this year, they just collapsed and wound up second last (and the only thing saving them from the wooden spoon was the way the Newcastle Jets were a vanity project of a mining magnate who lost out big time when the price of iron ore bottomed out). They were clearly exhausted, having been over-stretched with full A-League and ACL campaigns, and had no consistent reserve grade to call on.

Haven't mentioned Swansea much this year, just want to say that I'm delighted with our season and it couldn't have got any better really, highest ever points tally and highest place finish in the league, just a fantastic season and Monk has been brilliant 👍 Where we go from here will be interesting but I'm one proud Swans fan and Welshman right now :D

Rangers will be staying in the Scottish Championship next season - they are now 5-1 down on aggregate against Motherwell with 20 minutes to play...

Secret Agents Cameron Bell and Stuart McCall not at all taking brown envelopes from Celtic. Not at all.

Language but someone made some subtle edits to Bell's Wikipedia page.

Last edited:
Well done Motherwell! fun fact, Rangers finished their play-offs with a 33.3% win percentage only taking 2 wins from 6 matches.

Rangers will be staying in the Scottish Championship next season - they are now 5-1 down on aggregate against Motherwell with 20 minutes to play...

As a lukewarm Celtic fan, but more importantly someone who bet on Motherwell today, I am full of Schadenfreude right now. :D

Back