2014 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 1,574 comments
They don't have a choice at all, the A4 should be fwd because the A4 chassis is a fwd chassis, then modified to become 4wd on the premium models. But the longitudinal engine means it can't be fwd, something to do with packaging I assume.

The A4's engine would sit too far forward in the engine bay (as it does in the road car) to make it viable. It would be too nose-heavy.

The A4's engine would sit too far forward in the engine bay (as it does in the road car) to make it viable. It would be too nose-heavy.

Yeh I think even if they wanted to they wouldn't be allowed because it would require to much modification to the universal sub frame, or maybe it's not even possible at all. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the A4's engine bay as they always seem to keep the bonnet down during open paddock :odd: and I can't find one through Google either. I'll upload a few engine bay pics from this year in a sec 👍

Engine bay pics

Lagzvl7.jpg

6r5sQxh.jpg

JsJa4RI.jpg

cbZd4j4.jpg

0p0qzdR.jpg
X30oS9P.jpg

gGOxqkj.jpg

FApE0cP.jpg

u84tyKl.jpg

I wish I had pics of the A4 for comparison :indiff: WSR are another lot that always cover their engines

You can see from the pics that the transverse engines sit on or thereabouts on the front axel line. The A4's engine would have to be so much forward of that, it would mess up the weight distribution too much. 👍

I got some pics of the engines in the WSR BMWs at Knockill last year.

Austin's Audi was too far back in the garage to get an engine shot.

Nice one, it's interesting to compare the differences. Dare I say it looks like the BMW engine's centre of gravity might be a bit further back and lower than the fwd's? And that's a very interesting intercooler placement on the A4! Or is it the radiator lol

Edit: It's also quite clear that you wouldn't be able to fit fwd running gear in there. Assuming the A4 is similar, it's engine would be poking out of the front bumper, and it would need to be a lot higher so it would end up poking out the bonnet as well

Last edited:
It's only been that far back since 2013, previously it had to be further forwards but the regs were changed for the 2013 season to accomodate the BMWs

Back