2014 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
Well, in the words of Michael Jackson, "this is it". This is what we've all been waiting for folks, the duel in the desert, the final showdown, the battle for the title. Whatever you want to call it we all know whats at stake here. After a long season of ups and downs, controversy, new venues and a return to a familiar one, we end it here. This is. The 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

uae.jpg

Event date: 21-23 November 2014
Number of Laps: 55
Circuit Length: 5.554km (3.451 mi)
Race Distance: 305.470 km (189.810 mi)
Lap Record: Sebastian Vettel (2009) - 1:40.279

2013 Podium:
1st - Sebastian Vettel - Red Bull
2nd - Mark Webber - Red Bull
3rd - Nico Rosberg - Mercedes

Sky Sports' Title Decider Races;
Tuesday - Brazil 2012
Wednesday - Australia 1994
Thursday - Abu Dhabi 2010
Friday - Caesars Palace 1982
Saturday - Australia 1986
Sunday - Abu Dhabi 2014

Also from the BBC, in case you need reminding on what needs to be done for either Lewis or Nico to win;

View attachment 258070

Last edited:
I, along with many others, hope this championship isn't decided by a reliability error on either side of the team, whether it is Rosberg or Hamilton. I would like to think that if that was to happen to say, Hamilton, Rosberg would just retire to ensure the better man wins. However that won't happen, for two reasons;
1) It's Nico Rosberg we're talking about
2) As someone that does karting, I've had my own championship decided on a reliability issue to the other title contender and the racer side of me told me to 'get on with the job while they're down!'

A harsh reality, but that's just motorsports. Harsh.

I, along with many others, hope this championship isn't decided by a reliability error on either side of the team, whether it is Rosberg or Hamilton. I would like to think that if that was to happen to say, Hamilton, Rosberg would just retire to ensure the better man wins.

There's a difference between someone like Stirling Moss correcting the stewards in the matter of another driver with detriment to his own championship and a driver parking to give the other guy a win.

The first is noble, the second is a waste of the opportunity, the sponsor's money, the support of the fans, and most-of-all-you-let-yourself-down as the saying goes.

There's a difference between someone like Stirling Moss correcting the stewards in the matter of another driver with detriment to his own championship and a driver parking to give the other guy a win.

The first is noble, the second is a waste of the opportunity, the sponsor's money, the support of the fans, and most-of-all-you-let-yourself-down as the saying goes.
It's just Lewisteria in action. Rosberg is the cold, calculating Germanic villain who makes up for his lack of talent with a ruthless streak, while Hamilton is the plucky underdog, a case study in British fortitude whose natural flair is enough to buck a system that is inherently biased against him for no good reason.

It's just Lewisteria in action. Rosberg is the cold, calculating Germanic villain who makes up for his lack of talent with a ruthless streak, while Hamilton is the plucky underdog, a case study in British fortitude whose natural flair is enough to buck a system that is inherently biased against him for no good reason.

Absolutely, I imagine Rosberg sits in the bath wearing a pointy german helmet (fnarr) and a monocle, playing mit ze u-booten while Hamilton is out pluckily feeding the homeless and being generally humble/#blessed.

And "Lewisteria" is street in a TV programme, isn't it? :)

They should have ended the season in Brazil, not Abu Dhabi... anyway, I think Hamiton will win the championship!

Absolutely, I imagine Rosberg sits in the bath wearing a pointy german helmet (fnarr) and a monocle, playing mit ze u-booten while Hamilton is out pluckily feeding the homeless and being generally humble/#blessed.
Oh, he's as English as roast beef and Yorkshire pudding (the latter of which makes my stomach churn, but no matter). He will run a helmet in tribute to Admiral Nelson, and will have "Rule Britannia" play at the podium ceremony.

Oh, he's as English as roast beef and Yorkshire pudding (the latter of which makes my stomach churn, but no matter)

HERESY! Tha's not had my Aunty Joyce's authentic puds (no joke, she's 82), plate sized with the beef, veg and PROPER roasting gravy all served within, dished up in a terraced house in deepest mining Yorkshire. It's the only time I feel vaguely religious. If you've tried frozen ones, or ones made by someone not-very-good... bleuch.

F1 news: Gary "Flying Giraffe" Paffett is to leave McLaren, that's a shame... and I think portentatious for Button. The two get on tremendously well, I understand. I don't know what Paffett is moving on to but this makes me feel sure that Button is moving on too. As if we didn't all think that already, of course.

HERESY! Tha's not had my Aunty Joyce's authentic puds (no joke, she's 82), plate sized with the beef, veg and PROPER roasting gravy, served in a terraced house in deepest mining Yorkshire. It's the only time I feel vaguely religious. If you've tried frozen ones, or ones made by someone not-very-good... bleuch.
It's more the concept of pudding batter cut with drippings that does it for me. I'm not the sort of person who ritualistically counts calories; I just can't digest fat content.

But go on, brand me a colonial heretic. I think George Orwell is better than Rudyard Kipling, too.

If I were Hamilton I'd settle for a safe 2nd place. Forget all that title decider drama bull, just let Nico past if he attacks, tuck behind in 2nd, and cross the line without any hassle. I can imagine Lewis getting caught up in it all though. Just hope we don't have another Adelaide 86.

I dreamt last night that Rosberg won the championship after Hamilton failed to get off the line and retired. I was also wearing a large stack of cowboy hats that I was struggling to balance as I ran. I own no such hats and therefore continue to root for a Brit win :)

Sounds like a nightmare rather than a dream...

Everyone should own at least 1 cowboy hat.

Toto Wooolllfff; It would be a nightmare if Hamilton's car failed

No mention of cowboy hats but this may not be the full interview.

EDIT: Also from the BBC, the permutations of potential winship (EDIT: now pictured in OP)

Attachments

• ChampionshipPermutationsF12014.JPG
    ChampionshipPermutationsF12014.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If I were Hamilton I'd settle for a safe 2nd place. Forget all that title decider drama bull, just let Nico past if he attacks, tuck behind in 2nd, and cross the line without any hassle. I can imagine Lewis getting caught up in it all though. Just hope we don't have another Adelaide 86.

Unless Rosberg in the lead decides to drive slowly to back the field up and hope someone can put a move on Hamilton a la Schumacher at Suzuka when he was fighting Villeneuve for the title in 1997.

Much better to start on pole and lead from the front.

Rather surprisingly the pole sitter hasn't won since 2010 and DNFed on 2 occasions.

Doesn't mean anything. Will have no effect on this weekends race.

Always makes me laugh when journalists and commentators bring up facts like that as if it'll somehow have a certain effect on the race.

Did anyone see this? Nico Rosberg official reaction to Brazil. Watched it twice, the most interesting "answer" is the one given to the question about being the quickest all weekend. Something about "proving a point" comes to mind

And ... in fact, I think Nico now is regarded very differently if we compare to the start of this season. Before he was a quick guy, did good against an ageing champion and all but no way he would be a match for Lewis.

Now he is both feared and respected. Feared because he can be ruthless, with a suspicion on "cheating" ... Respected because he can beat Hamilton precisely where nobody expected him to: Quali.

What's left now for him to prove? Racecraft.

Unless Rosberg in the lead decides to drive slowly to back the field up and hope someone can put a move on Hamilton a la Schumacher at Suzuka when he was fighting Villeneuve for the title in 1997.

Much better to start on pole and lead from the front.
That seems very unlikely, it's more likely Hamilton will get caught up in an toe to toe fight with Rosberg and forget all he needs to do is finish 2nd. I respect Lewis for his racers instinct, but there's a time and a place to be boring and calculating, for Lewis it's this Sunday. I agree if Lewis starts on pole there's no reason to simply fall behind in 2nd without an effort, but please for the love of god don't try to repeat what happened in Bahrain. To be fair though I see Hamilton winning the race providing he's on pole.

So long as the racing's clean and close, I don't mind who wins.

So as someone who isn't particularly fussed who wins the title, I'm going to post this now so that I can quote it on Sunday when I'm feel like being a 🤬.

Your favourite driver didn't win. Get over it.

I understand that with all the championship excitement this subject is far from the minds of most people, but any news on which personified bag-of-cash will be in the second Caterham seat this weekend? :lol:

I understand that with all the championship excitement this subject is far from the minds of most people, but any news on which personified bag-of-cash will be in the second Caterham seat this weekend? :lol:

I'm not sure, who's already driven for them this season?

I saw that Chilton and Stevens were in the running but I'm not sure how many drivers Caterham already had?

EDIT: Only Kobayashi, Ericsson and Lotterer. So they can still bring another driver in. For some reason I thought they might have had four already.

I'm not sure, who's already driven for them this season?

I saw that Chilton and Stevens were in the running but I'm not sure how many drivers Caterham already had?

EDIT: Only Kobayashi, Ericsson and Lotterer. So they can still bring another driver in. For some reason I thought they might have had four already.
Personally I'm hoping that Robin Frijins gets the chance to drive. It may only be in a lowly Caterham, but at least that way he'd finally get his foot in the door.

Back