2014 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Nah, I just noticed that Martini was missing from the caps that Massa and Bottas were wearing. The red stripe on the car itself was missing too
I didn't realise they were sponsored by Red Stripe as well... 💡

Actually, it was quite interesting that they changed the colour scheme, as opposed to merely removing the word 'Martini' and the brand logo from the car... clearly, the Martini trademark colour stripes are considered enough to recognise the brand in someone's opinion. I wonder who decided that? Fortunately, the car still looked very smart with just the dark blue and light blue stripes. There was a discussion about this issue years ago when F1 first banned cigarette advertising... the classic 80's McLaren livery was still instantly recognisable as Marlboro, for example.

I didn't realise they were sponsored by Red Stripe as well... 💡

Actually, it was quite interesting that they changed the colour scheme, as opposed to merely removing the word 'Martini' and the brand logo from the car... clearly, the Martini trademark colour stripes are considered enough to recognise the brand in someone's opinion. I wonder who decided that? Fortunately, the car still looked very smart with just the dark blue and light blue stripes. There was a discussion about this issue years ago when F1 first banned cigarette advertising... the classic 80's McLaren livery was still instantly recognisable as Marlboro, for example.
After the 2008 German GP when Marlboro made their barcode livery similar to their logo colours and the Anti Smoking lobby had a big fit, the precedent had been set.

That said the Nanny states will be bringing this to Alcohol Sponsership soon with EU already in talks of of being done.

Didn't Williams keep the red stripe for the Bahrain GP?

They tweeted before the Abu Dhabi GP that they used the livery that Codemasters used for the F1 2014 game.

Different countries = different laws. Also, you cannot ban a red stripe on a car - but you can respectfully request that a livery is modified in order to make the association with a brand/product less obvious. The Bahrainians probably considered the removal of the logo and words to be sufficient, however the coloured stripes are a Martini trademark - and perhaps the law is a bit tighter in UAE. Ironically, unless you know the stripes are a Martini trademark, it's not going to make any difference anyway, so it does seem a bit OTT IMO.

Ask Finbarr. I guess... To make the team appealing to potential buyers? They racked up about 90 laps today. Hope the effort goes towards something of worth.

Ask Finbarr. I guess... To make the team appealing to potential buyers? They racked up about 90 laps today. Hope the effort goes towards something of worth.
The thing is they have already made most of their staff redundant, it makes sense if Stevens is paying them enough money for the test to be profit though, as it was my understanding they where using the final race as a entry to the end of year prize money as they wouldn't of been eligable if they missed 3 races.

Good for you, if you want a pat on the back, but it does seem ridiculous to blame the driver, especially if a team boss is echoing what they've (any driver but obviously Hamilton in this case claimed. If you hadn't of been so keen to blame the driver I might not have gone the route of claiming some bias (doesn't help when you avatar shows Nico support either). But hey, you're the one that said you don't pay attention to post race info, and yet still want to argue the topic as if you did.
It's funny how you wonder why you get into so many arguments on this forum when you go around acting holier than thou, and putting words in people's mouth! I never send anything of the sort. You just made the ridiculous assumption...

If there's a lesson I've learnt the past few days on these forums, is that I sometimes need to put a leash on my emotions. And I suggest you do the same. Getting into an angry sarcastic rant and accusing people of saying things they didn't, just because you don't agree with their opinion, is never a good way to go about your business.

I'm perfectly aware of what was said by Toto Wolf AND Lewis Hamilton after the race. Nobody needs to tell me the tyres were going off either, because I was watching at the time. I know they were! However it seemed to me that despite knowing the condition of the tyres, Lewis threw caution to the wind, and pushed too hard.

It's not as if it's a guessing game to the driver about the condition of the tyres, and how much grip they have left. They can feel all of this information through the steering wheel, and when they accelerate and brake. As I said above this is why the teams rely on the drivers feedback to determine how much life is left in the tyres, rather than sensors alone. The driver can give so much more information.

So Lewis wouldn't have been blind in any way shape or form about how shot the tyres were. It's his job as the driver to push as hard as he can as the condition of the car and tyres will allow at the time, without going over it and throwing it off the track. It's not unusual to hear drivers being asked to up the pace, only to hear them replying that they haven't got the grip to do so. This is what Lewis should have done instead.

All that said I think he learnt from it because he was extremely controlled in Abu Dhabi. However to reiterate I was watching the race in Brazil, I did see the incident, I know exactly what was said after the race; and I do feel he was going too fast at the time for the condition of his tyres.

Last edited:
@OctopusPine where did I ever say I wonder why? I know why, cause I argue with people as stubborn as you and at times me. Just like many others argue, the only reason I'm so special from all of them is because I'm the one that was arguing with you. The fact that my points were proven in the race thanks to Lewis winning means this argument to me is null and void, thanks but no thanks.

Have a great week 👍

@OctopusPine where did I ever say I wonder why? I know why, cause I argue with people as stubborn as you and at times me. Just like many others argue, the only reason I'm so special from all of them is because I'm the one that was arguing with you. The fact that my points were proven in the race thanks to Lewis winning means this argument to me is null and void, thanks but no thanks.

Hmmm! I seem to recall saying something to that effect at the end of my last post. Perhaps you missed it?
All that said I think he learnt from it because he was extremely controlled in Abu Dhabi. However to reiterate I was watching the race in Brazil, I did see the incident, I know exactly what was said after the race; and I do feel he was going too fast at the time for the condition of his tyres.

Back