2014 FIFA World Cup - Brazil

• Thread starter Akmuq
  • 4,127 comments
Lambert's goal bore some resemblence to Pele's classic goal in the 1970 World Cup final...

Unless I'm mistaken or misread something here, England play/ed Ecuador and Honduras who both qualified.

Yes but there is very little chance of them getting out of the group and even if one of them does England can't meet them until the semi at the earliest and England are not getting that far. Maybe I should I have said Major teams though because that's what I meant.

England's presence in the semis might be open to debate, but do you honestly expect Honduras or Ecuador to make it that far?

It makes me wonder how all of these pessimists would feel if England somehow put together a great performance and not only made the round of 16, but also won the whole group? :dopey:

It makes me wonder how all of these pessimists would feel if England somehow put together a great performance and not only made the round of 16, but also won the whole group? :dopey:

It would depend how they won the group.

If they beat Uruguay and Italy with extremely lucky 1-0 victories and beat Costa Rica by a similar margin I'd still think they'd be knocked out sooner rather than later.

However if they smashed all three teams 4 or 5-0 and outclassed them in every aspect then I might change my opinion.

But for now, I stand by that England will be out in the group stages. They'll lose to Uruguay and Italy and might scrape a win against Costa Rica.

England's presence in the semis might be open to debate, but do you honestly expect Honduras or Ecuador to make it that far?

No, which is kind of the point I was trying to make originally and again later, I just didn't do it as well as I could have. Totally my fault, I should have been more clear in the first place, this place pick up on every little thing. :lol:

That would be worse because some people (especially the press) would then hype us up before we then got knocked out as usual.

Ox-Chamberlain is expected to be out for 10 days to 3 weeks with the knee injury he picked up yesterday, he is definitely out of their opening game v Italy but he might be fit for the Uruguay game....that's MIGHT be fit, also Sterling will be suspended for their final warm up game v Honduras on Saturday night because of his sending off but wont be suspended for any World Cup games...

So everyone is doing their best to make it seem they can't win Group D.
England was only a B-spec lineup against Ecuador but they maybe should have done more.
Still, at least Ecuador are going to the WC. Luxembourg aren't - and they got a 1-1 out of Italy.
Uruguay struggle to beat Northern Ireland with Suarez so they aren't looking good either.
And Costa Rica were well out of it to begin with.
They might as well just all go home, the way they're looking at this rate.
Group of Death? Ask my arse.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-27699398#004023024035043061090089084103102

Last edited:
Can't say I care too much about how far England will get this year. Second in their group would be both realistic and adequate enough. I just want to see them play in a less tedious manner for a few competitive matches.

And I got Bosnia as part of my friends' sweepstake. Delighted that they made the finals for the first time as an independent nation (they deserved to get this far for once), though Nigeria will cause them more than a few problems in the race for Group F's second spot.

My team: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-27699398#008042039034035053075089071098106

Last edited:
More teams are starting to arrive-Croatia and Iran landed a couple of days ago (after Australia of course)
Hopefully the Australia Vs Croatia friendly should be a good matchup and opportunity to impress upon the eve of the World Cup finals

In the meantime, it has been announced that Spain's players will receive €720,000 euros per player if they retain the World Cup.

If the team gets through the first knock-out round the players and staff will receive 72,000 euros; for a semi-final appearance the bonus will be 180,000 and if the side reaches the final they can expect 360,000 euros each.

The announcement supposedly drew a lot of criticism in Spain. Full article: http://as.com/diarioas/2014/06/05/english/1401965605_098906.html

Oh dear - I didn't think France would get beyond the last 16 anyway, but Ribery is a massive loss for them.

Speaking of 'Another Star', apparently Stevie Wonder's song of the same name will be the BBC's theme tune for their World Cup coverage...

As mentioned Ribery and Clement Grenier ruled out of the tournament, Remy Cabella and Southampton's Morgan Schneiderlin have been called up as replacements..

I thought you weren't allowed pay your national team?

Its not exactly a salary, but more like a bonus that the players and staff will receive for progressing in the tournament.

The reason its caused some controversy is because of the sum, €720K is a LOT, for comparison's sake Brazil's players are only due to receive €300K for winning the World Cup.

Edit: More injury news, Russia's captain Roman Shirokov will miss the World Cup after sustaining an injury in Russia's 2-0 win over Morocco.:banghead:

Last edited:
Not been confirmed but Marco Reus will most likely be out as well due to what looks like torn ankle ligaments sustained in their 6-1 win over Armenia.

So that's Reus, Ribery, Falcao, Walcott, El Sharwaary, Strootman, Valdes and Montolivo all missing the tournament through injury...quite a list!

England Honduras game temporarily suspended due to Electric storm hanging over the stadium, 23 minutes played and its 0-0...

Last edited:
It does sound pretty fierce to be fair, don't want to be under that!

So this could potentially disrupt England's scheduled flight to Rio tonight? Awesome. :lol:

Right now it's set to restart within the next half hour, so at this rate it shouldn't mess up their travel plans.

ITV's Chiles just got the ref on to ask him about it, minimum 30 min delay (about 10 mins of that has gone) and then they will assess the situation then...

Players are out warming up, play due to restart in around 10 mins...

Last edited:
Back