2014 Formula 1 United States Grand Prix

• Thread starter yzfmike
  • 305 comments
Know what I picked up on? NBC's tv coverage is kinda crap in comparison to my regional (or whatever it is) Spanish channel, which plays much less commercials, and when they do, their scaling of the race feed is kept bigger then when NBC does their commercials were it doesn't fill the whole screen.

Can't believe crashanaldo didn't crash out. Also enjoyed the scrapping in the middle of the field.

For several minutes I was trying to see which one of those guys up in the stands was you, then I realised that you're taking the photo... I think it's time for me to go to bed.

So you actually saw me on TV?

Awsome.

Watched the still brilliant BBC coverage, be it highlights.

Pre-race 'fan' interviews were a joke. Informed fans? Not so much. FIFA take a hint.

I don't like how a driver can win potentially win six in a row in Brazil, have double the amount of race wins over a season than anyone else, win all the wheel to battles, months and months of hard work all to be unraveled by a technical issue at the last race because of double points. I wouldn't even want to win that way let alone lose.

I like how a driver can win potentially win six in a row in Brazil, have double the amount of race wins over a season than anyone else, win all the wheel to battles, months and months of hard work all to be unraveled by a technical issue at the last race because of double points. I wouldn't even want to win that way let alone lose.

Fixed that for you. Really hope Rosburg steals it away.

I don't like how a driver can win potentially win six in a row in Brazil, have double the amount of race wins over a season than anyone else, win all the wheel to battles, months and months of hard work all to be unraveled by a technical issue at the last race because of double points. I wouldn't even want to win that way let alone lose.
And I don't like how a driver can win a World Championship by whinging to the media and fans that he's not being treated "equally" and using that to pile pressure on his team's management structure. Hamilton knows he has the British press and the British fans on-side, and his championship campaign only really started when they began lobbying on his behalf.

World Championships should be decided by talent, but Hamilton turned it into a popularity contest.

Hamilton has been the better driver in the clear best car, but that's no guarantee for the title. Ask Prost about 1984.

A double points race is simply one race that counts as two races. If Rosberg wins the title because of luck, it wouldn't and shouldn't be a scandal. That's motorsport, it happens.

Last edited:
And I don't like how a driver can win a World Championship by whinging to the media and fans that he's not being treated "equally" and using that to pile pressure on his team's management structure. Hamilton knows he has the British press and the British fans on-side, and his championship campaign only really started when they began lobbying on his behalf.

World Championships should be decided by talent, but Hamilton turned it into a popularity contest.
There is definitely more favoritism even by the NBC staff towards Lewis now later into the season.. It is expected to a degree for some of them, but I don't mind it much.

After Spa I think Nico lost part of his Mercedes fan base banwagoneers which jumped to Lewis. He has put himself up to more pressure than what actually exists I think, and maybe he needs a bit of a break for himself.

São Paulo will be interesting to see how close they stay together. It's a relatively short track (IMO) so it will be tight. But first of all, Lewis needs to back off of his throne.... It's not engraved above him yet.

And I don't like how a driver can win a World Championship by whinging to the media and fans
I still don't understand why anyone goes on about this. Vettel, Alonso, Button, Hamilton. They have all been accused of being whingers or cry-babies in their time. Personally out of those four I feel Button is the worst for it, and Massa is worse than any of them. Strangely enough though, those four are all world champions. Perhaps they get upset because they hate losing more than anyone else? Stick a camera in their face just after results haven't gone their way and you're bound to see the odd sulk or two.

Nico can hardly be accused of not whinging either, anyone who listened to that pre-podium room yesterday could see that..

ill assume you didn't like Senna then.

So Hamilton has a 24 point lead. 10 wins to Nico's 4 and overtaken him for the lead in 2 of the last 3 races.....but he's winning on the basis he's turned it into a popularity contest?

Right......

We now know that the championship will be decided at the last race week-end (with +24 points today, at most, Hamilton can go there with +49).

I cross my fingers for the doubled points system to not change the name of the driver champion, as it would be seen as not legitimate from many fans point of view.
Good scenario: I don't care who wins in the end, but having Rosberg scores a 25-0 in Brazil would draw the doubling point system useless for WDC winner even before the race.
Worse scenario: Hamilton wins in Brazil and DNF-not-by-his-fault at Abu Dabi with Rosberg finishing 1st.

Did Maldonado receive a post race penalty or something? I could swear seeing him pass Vergne on the last lap.

Is next season guaranteed to be a Merc cake walk again? (Mclaren heroics aside)?

No, Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari's engines are locked down development-wise unless the engine manufacturers are able to get the development rules changed.

For now it appears that Honda will hold the advantage; they're the only 2015 team developing an engine through 2014 whilst able to see how the new-reg cars (and engines) perform. McLaren need to improve the chassis in order to showcase that advantage of course, they shouldn't need too many heroics to do very well in 2015 if they manage that.

I think i've had it with F1. Yesterday i watched and almost shed a tear for what the sport has become nowadays; i saw ugly shlong nosed cars with small silent turbo engines that sound like puking bees flying by, riding on artificial mickey mouse circuits in far away countries where the population does not really care much about the sport in general...

Feel free to disagree, but if you look back at the days where there were different engine specs, the cars were beautiful, sounded terrific and they visited old style, challenging fast circuits bordered by armco and trees and not sponsored run off areas, and that they were packed to the ceiling with enthusiastic spectators it's hard to not notice how ugly and artificial everything has become nowadays.

Go along with the times yes, but for the pinnacle of motorsport the times have turned uninspiring and mundane.

I had that same feeling last night. There were plenty of battles going on but the race itself still looked so dull.

No, Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari's engines are locked down development-wise unless the engine manufacturers are able to get the development rules changed.

For now it appears that Honda will hold the advantage; they're the only 2015 team developing an engine through 2014 whilst able to see how the new-reg cars (and engines) perform. McLaren need to improve the chassis in order to showcase that advantage of course, they shouldn't need too many heroics to do very well in 2015 if they manage that.

So at best we're getting 2 teams (3 if Williams step up) fighting for it. Really do hope they change the rules abit, want to see Ferrari and RBR up there.

I think i've had it with F1. Yesterday i watched and almost shed a tear for what the sport has become nowadays; i saw ugly shlong nosed cars with small silent turbo engines that sound like puking bees flying by, riding on artificial mickey mouse circuits in far away countries where the population does not really care much about the sport in general...

Feel free to disagree, but if you look back at the days where there were different engine specs, the cars were beautiful, sounded terrific and they visited old style, challenging fast circuits bordered by armco and trees and not sponsored run off areas, and that they were packed to the ceiling with enthusiastic spectators it's hard to not notice how ugly and artificial everything has become nowadays.

Go along with the times yes, but for the pinnacle of motorsport the times have turned uninspiring and mundane.
I'm going for a partial disagree...
ugly shlong nosed cars - correct, though the regs are changing to make them look a little better
small silent turbo engines that sound like puking bees flying by - I have gotten used to it, but on the whole, I agree.
riding on artificial mickey mouse circuits - In places, yes. I dont consider Austin one though
countries where the population does not really care much about the sport in general - ditto

the cars were beautiful, sounded terrific and they visited old style, challenging fast circuits - agree, but...
bordered by armco and trees and not sponsored run off areas - runoff space = safety. Sponsors are merely taking advantage of the space which was there anyway. I would rather not be discussing multiple fatalities a year here.
packed to the ceiling with enthusiastic spectators - turnout is still pretty good, save for the mickey mouse locations (middle east, I am looking at you)
artificial - regulate all of the things!

Did Maldonado receive a post race penalty or something? I could swear seeing him pass Vergne on the last lap.

He got a 5 sec penalty within the race for speeding behind the safety car.

Maldonado crossed the line 1 second before Vergne, and indeed with a remaining 5 sec penalty.
Vergne got a 5 sec penalty too, but decided after the race, for his overtake move on Grosjean. The result displayed on the TV feed took Maldonado penalty into account, but not the Vergne penalty, hence the wrong standing we saw.

Back