2014 Grand Prix de Monaco

Warning long post .... Twitter Q&A session with MERCEDES AMG F1 team. Worth a read, I guess you can say there's PR people and there's Toto Wolf!

PS - I put everything in chronological order so you lazy folks can read it all from up to down! Don't thank me, it's just that I'm too lazy to do anything useful so I do this! :P

[URL='https://twitter.com/Farhannn15']Farhan@Farhannn15 · 7h
@MercedesAMGF1[/URL] Have the drivers made contact since the race? #MonacoDebrief

MERCEDES AMG F1@MercedesAMGF1 · 3h

TW: There hasn’t been any contact, they’re in different places so this is not unusual #MonacoDebrief

----------------------------------------------

McLauren #TeamLH@LaurenRF1 · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1 What has the relationship between Lewis and Nico really become...is it as bad as it seems? #MonacoDebrief

TW: It’s not as bad as it has been portrayed, no! #MonacoDebrief

David Bytheway@DavidBytheway · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1 will the team consider two strategists after Hamilton wasn't happy about his strategy? #MonacoDebrief

TW: No. We believe we have the best setup to maximise the outcome of the team #MonacoDebrief

Shana Green #LH44@Shana_Banana_44 · 5h

@MercedesAMGF1 Do u think the media are blowing the Nico/Quali incident up & making it harder to calm things down #MonacoDebrief#BestTeam x

TW: Things don’t need to be calmed down; it’s the media’s job to tell good stories. It’s our job to score championship points #MonacoDebrief

James #44@I_am_Jamm · 6h

@MercedesAMGF1#MonacoDebrief If Lewis had made his own call on strategy and pitted before the SC, would team have refused to change tyres?

TW: The drivers don’t make the call and if they box unexpectedly the tyres won’t be ready #MonacoDebrief

Mike@MikeJohnno · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1 Rosberg makes no mistakes all weekend, yet he goes off when Hamilton is putting a pole lap in. How? #MonacoDeBrief

TW: When you’re pushing hard, mistakes happen. Nico saw his time was down so he was pushing hard #MonacoDebrief

Craig #NR6@CMcLean95 · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1 How can the team deal with the situation with the drivers before they really come to blows like Prost/Senna? #MonacoDebrief

TW: That will never happen with us #MonacoDebrief

JJ-Mitch@Mitch_F1nut · 4h

@MercedesAMGF1 is an "anglo-german" outfit.will you be favoring nico because of his nationality? #monacodebrief

MERCEDES AMG F1@MercedesAMGF1 · 2h

TW: The answer is no, may the faster driver win. Anyway, I’m Austrian… #MonacoDebrief

Ryan Grace@Ryan_Grace95 · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1 Why did Nico get to always be first of the two cars on track in quali, when normally they alternate? #MonacoDebrief

TW: The choice alternates between the drivers at each race as to whether they go out first or last #MonacoDebrief

James Hedges@hedgeryhoops · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1 which tracks left this season would you except the Mercedes package to be at it's strongest? #MonacoDebrief

TW: We don’t have a crystal ball. We’re assuming they will all be tough and working hard #MonacoDebrief

Matt McMahon #⃣3⃣0⃣@mattymc91 · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1#MonacoDebrief has Lewis seen the telemetry data of Nico's aborted qualifying lap?

TW: Yes, of course. We are transparent with our data #MonacoDebrief

Alexander Pitt@TheWoahAlex · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1@JennieGow#monacodebrief Are you going to stand by your decision to not have team orders? why?

TW: Yes, that’s the racing philosophy of Mercedes-Benz. We let the boys play with their toys - unless they break them #MonacoDebrief

Nigel Yates@LeinsterFlyer · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1#MonacoDebrief What can u do to re-focus press attn on the great job the Merc team r doing instead of the inter team rivalry?

TW: By doing a Twitter Q&A and answering any questions you have :-) #MonacoDebrief

Michael Perez@MikePerez86 · 6h

@MercedesAMGF1 Why regulate the settings the drivers can use on the car when racing for win? They know not to wreck the cars #MonacoDebrief

TW: Yes, but they don’t know when they might run out of fuel or damage their engine #MonacoDebrief

Darth Vader@TrueHamiltonFan · 6h

@MercedesAMGF1 Why is Nico allowed to access Lewis' data?At the moment its a straight fight for the WDC.No point sharing.#MonacoDebrief

TW: By keeping the data open between both drivers, we make the team progress #MonacoDebrief

@MercedesAMGF1 Nico got better strategy in Bahrain & Spain 4 the chance to beat Lewis but Lewis didnt get the same treatment in Monaco! Why?

TW: The car in front always gets choice on strategy #MonacoDebrief

F1 Kat@F1_Kat · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1 Obvious question, but when team mates are so close, how do you manage their aspirations without seeming bias?

TW: Good question! For us, it’s important that a Silver Arrow wins. We are never biased #MonacoDebrief

Sam ♚@smwnorth · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1 Do you think it's vital for Lewis and Nico to be 'friends' or will their tense relationship be more successful?#MonacoDebrief

TW: Drivers can never be friends because they are trying to beat each other on track #MonacoDebrief

CJ Augarde@CJAugarde · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1 Do you think Red Bull are close enough to seriously challenge you in upcoming races? #MonacoDebrief

TW: They are 4 time World Champions. We have to take them seriously every day at the factory and race track

Connan Welsh #42@ConnanF1 · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1 what is it like having 2 evenly matched world class drivers driveing for you ? #MonacoDebrief

TW: It’s great because they push each other to new limits and that competition makes the car quicker #MonacoDebrief

✖F1 Freak - Harish✖@ThisF1Kid · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1#MonacoDebrief Whats the tension like on the pit wall when the drivers tend to race each other?

TW: When it’s getting close it can be quite tense but both of them know that we will not tolerate a crash #MonacoDebrief

Jonny #LH44@jhealey1995 · 4h

@MercedesAMGF1 how do you decide who gets to go up on the podium when you win a race? #MonacoDebrief

TW: Paddy and I decide on the last lap of the race #MonacoDebrief

Tom AkA Fetzie@Fetzie_ · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1 Is the media damaging @LewisHamilton and @nico_rosberg's relationship by comparing them to Senna/Prost? #MonacoDebrief

TW: No the relationship is not vital for a successful campaign. It’s a job not a holiday. It’s a compliment being compared to these drivers

Baron von Richthofen@BillCosbyiSpy · 5h

@MercedesAMGF1 Afternoon, Mr. Wolff. (biggest fan,) rumour has it McLaren are working on their 2015 car, have we begun? #MonacoDebrief

TW: Yes, it has begun and we are slowly transitioning to the 2015 car #MonacoDebrief

Tom 》 #010@FormulaLH44 · 7h
@MercedesAMGF1 yeaahh Toto the legend! Toto can you get twitter? We love you and want to talk to you more #MonacoDebrief

TW: I’m not planning to get my own account. But don’t worry… I’ll be back! #MonacoDebrief

Antonela@SilverArrowsHAM · 7h

@MercedesAMGF1#MonacoDebrief Could you have ever predicted the incredible success this team has had so far this year? :) #Proud

TW: No, this is much more than expected because you can never anticipate 6 wins from the first 6 races, so we are very proud #MonacoDebrief

That's all for today, apologies there isn't time to answer every one. Thank you for all the questions - great to see #MonacoDebrief tending!

So, I have a question:

In the cases of Vettel's mechanical DNFs, and a limit of 5 engines per season now... Is Vettel down to 3 engines? Or are they allowed to fix the engines? :eek: Having three engines for 13 races would suck...

IIRC they managed to fix Hamilton's engine after Australia. Also, Vettel's problem was with his gearbox.

Vettel hasn't had engine failures yet, just drivebilty issues(Oz & Malaysia Q1) and a turbo failure in Monaco and the really costly wiring loom issue in Practice for Spain.

Hamilton's was a rubber tube which connected to one to the cylinders had a hairline fracture. Just replace a 50p just and there you go lol.

DK
IIRC they managed to fix Hamilton's engine after Australia. Also, Vettel's problem was with his gearbox.

According to official results posted by F1, Australia was "power unit" and Monaco, "turbo."

It's hard to diagnose things as a driver or a team... Sometimes you don't know what broke on your car until you have a look.

But, a "turbo failure" sounds to me like a damaged turbo bearing - which will (most times) send shards of turbo bearings into the block, scrape and generally destroy the cylinder linings, either from shooting back into the block from the exhaust side of the turbo, or being sucked in on the intake side of the turbo.

Australia was the drivability of the power unit which is why you saw so many corrections on Saturday and on Sunday he didn't have any MGU-K so didn't have any power to challenge.

So he might only be down one engine, - still a serious setback - or possibly/hopefully none at all (because everyone deserves a chance to run races, regardless of whether you like the guy or not!)

I had no idea FIA released that information. 👍

For clarification, I'm referring only to ICE combustion engines.

I'm guessing he's on to #3 now, which doesn't necessarily mean that the first one (let's say, engine #1, from Australia,) is bad... Just that RBR has a reason to have already switched engines.

Which, given the number of competitors who have also switched to a second or third engine (24, 2, respectively,) doesn't surprise me, actually.

I just really wish I had up-to-date information about #2, from Monaco. It's probably done, finished, and been turned into a Ford Fiesta...

That is true... Kinda like South Korea those seasons ago...

I'm glad - at least he didn't cook the block. The FIA will allow for a turbo to be replaced, rebuilt or otherwise fixed - but not the replacement of a block. If he had damaged the block, he would have only 4 engine blocks left, supposing the first is also in good condition.

@Hun200kmh Thanks for that. I love this one:

@MercedesAMGF1 Do u think the media are blowing the Nico/Quali incident up & making it harder to calm things down #MonacoDebrief#BestTeam x

TW: Things don’t need to be calmed down; it’s the media’s job to tell good stories. It’s our job to score championship points #MonacoDebrief

To me his answer just says "Our sponsors couldn't be happier with the extra media attention, thank you very much :D"

According to official results posted by F1, Australia was "power unit" and Monaco, "turbo."

It's hard to diagnose things as a driver or a team... Sometimes you don't know what broke on your car until you have a look.

But, a "turbo failure" sounds to me like a damaged turbo bearing - which will (most times) send shards of turbo bearings into the block, scrape and generally destroy the cylinder linings, either from shooting back into the block from the exhaust side of the turbo, or being sucked in on the intake side of the turbo.

Says you need to have a good look to diagnose a problem, begins to diagnose problem without looking at car.

I'm not sure where to put this; (EDIT: Created a thread here)

At a driving event yesterday two German soccerball stars were being driven by Pascal Wehrlein and Nico Rosberg when Wehrlein's car struck two men; a marshall and a spectator...

Last edited:
What has disappointed me with Lewis is how he hasn't really gained race situation awareness or maybe he's starting to but not applying it, he should've dived into the pits. He also should've been looking for an undercut. He only had one pit stop chance. His strategy is to entrust every aspect in the team.

In a previous race he had life in the tyres to do more laps and increase the gap on Rosberg, the team called him in, he questioned it but came anyway.

What has disappointed me with Lewis is how he hasn't really gained race situation awareness, he should've dived into the pits. He also should've been looking for an undercut. He only had one pit stop chance. His strategy is to entrust every aspect in the team.

Yes, with his head just below the top of the armco at 90mph through the Swimming Pool he should have been watching the big screen and making a decision.

It's so easy with a live TV feed, what was he thinking? :)

What has disappointed me with Lewis is how he hasn't really gained race situation awareness or maybe he's starting to but not applying it, he should've dived into the pits. He also should've been looking for an undercut. He only had one pit stop chance. His strategy is to entrust every aspect in the team.

In a previous race he had life in the tyres to do more laps and increase the gap on Rosberg, the team called him in, he questioned it but came anyway.

If you read the Q&A Twitter session you'll find a few answers from Toto Wolff where he makes it clear who is boss and who is not. Here's one of them:

Question: If Lewis had made his own call on strategy and pitted before the SC, would team have refused to change tyres?

Toto Wolff: The drivers don’t make the call and if they box unexpectedly the tyres won’t be ready.

Yes, thanks for the info Hun200kmh.

Sometimes though you have force the issue to gain an edge. Would the team react or just wave him through at that moment.

Sometimes though you have force the issue to gain an edge. Would the team react or just wave him through at that moment.

I imagine they'd keep him in the box and change the tyres, it wastes less time (potentially) than a "go around", particularly if Rosberg may pit on the next tour.

IRBR will be getting a new improved engine for the Austrian GP.

But again, this is news coming from Helmut Marko.

I think there would've been a slight delay obviously, that's what happens in a late call. All the tweet says on the 27th is tyres wouldn't be ready. Not they would refuse, wave him through or hold him in the pits.

I imagine they'd keep him in the box and change the tyres, it wastes less time (potentially) than a "go around", particularly if Rosberg may pit on the next tour.

I will confess I do not know enough to say that what the sky folks is true or plain rubbish, but they seem to think it wouldn't make a difference anyway. Check the bolded part

skysports
Why was Lewis Hamilton so irked by his strategy?
With his post-qualifying demeanour and comments indicating he was far from convinced that Nico Rosberg hadn't committed a professional foul to secure pole, Lewis Hamilton was clearly simmering with frustration in his interviews post-race after a second opportunity to beat his team-mate in Monaco failed to present itself through the sole pitstop phase.

"Unfortunately [at Mercedes] we have one overall strategist, and he's amazing, but unfortunately the role in the team is that he has to look out for the number one [driver in the race] and the guy in second has to come second," Hamilton told Sky F1. "I knew from the get-go that I had a lesser opportunity to win the race and I needed a miracle to win at a track like this."

Barring a slip from his team-mate, unreliability or, most likely, a superior launch off the grid into Ste Devote, Hamilton knew that winning the Monaco GP for the second time was going to be a near impossible task, particularly with the prospect of a one-stop race narrowing his strategic options. However, running around a second behind the sister W05 through the opening stint, Hamilton clearly saw a glimmer of that 'miracle' occur mid-way round lap 25 when he and Rosberg encountered yellow flags at the harbourside chicane between five and ten seconds after Adrian Sutil had crashed his Sauber into the barriers. As Hamilton's later radio messages confirmed, with a Safety Car phase likely, he felt he should have been pulled in immediately in order to try and jump Rosberg.

As it was, the Mercedes pitwall waited for confirmation of the pace car from Race Control, which arrived by the time their drivers were approaching Portier on the next lap (26), before telling both drivers to pit at the end of that tour. As Toto Wolff himself admitted afterwards, from that point on "it was clear that the race was finished".

Mercedes' hierarchy made it explicitly clear after the race that their in-house policy is for the lead car to get priority on pitstops, meaning Hamilton's hopes of stopping immediately were never going to be realised anyway, even if he had demanded to come in during the 24-second period which elapsed between him reaching the scene of Sutil's accident and the pit entry.

But, in a purely hypothetical world where Hamilton pitted on lap 25 and Rosberg continued for that extra lap, would a pre-emptive stop have made much difference anyway? Barring a significantly faster pitstop, it's tough to see how it would have been a sure-fire certainty given Hamilton would have been driving to a delta time for the majority of his out lap whereas Rosberg, by staying out, would have been able to run full speed until the start of the middle sector when the Safety Car was called. A more conventional pitstop phase would have been a better chance for Hamilton, but then, with the leader still getting pit priority, another long shot pit calamities aside.

Possession is invariably ten tenths of the law in the Monaco GP and, by converting that controversial pole into the race lead by the first corner, Rosberg was always unlikely to be toppled.

@Hun200kmh , that's why I added "potentially" :)

In this case we know with hindsight that a go-around wouldn't have made any difference, and I believe Mercedes did double-box on the following lap demonstrating exactly that. His perceived irksomeness is linked in that quote to the fact that he couldn't arguably have been called in due to the team's strategy infrastructure. Possibly he used this moment as an opportunity to vent an overall enirkmentation*?

If Hamilton had boxed on the lap in question then I don't see how Rosberg would have ended the stops in front of him?

* I know, I know :)

If Hamilton had boxed on the lap in question then I don't see how Rosberg would have ended the stops in front of him?
Well assuming Hamilton pitted the lap before he did, the SC would have been called while he was in the pits. Once it was called, he was bound to a delta time. While he was in pit lane, Rosberg was at full tilt to the yellow flag zone, then a delta time for the remainder of the lap.
Assuming equal pit lane times, Nico had it covered - part of a lap at full pace, the rest at reduced speed to the pit - compared to Hamiltons entire lap at reduced speed.

Back