2014 Grand Prix de Monaco

Yeah, in italian both the 'c' and the double 'cc' followed by an 'e' or 'i' are supposedly pronounced as a 'ch'. So italians say his name as 'Rich-yardo' . In contrast and because this sound doesn't apply when the 'cc" is followed by 'a', Patrese was 'Riccardo' and that would be written in English as 'Rick-ardo'
Actually, when he explained it he said that the family name is "rich-y-ardo" but none of the kids at his school could say it right so he decided to say it "rick-ar-doh" because that's what they all said.
:D

^^^ Yes, that would explain why he got used to say his surname that way.

Btw, is any French forumer able to say how do the french commentators say Jules Bianchi's name? Bianchi is - I think - an italian surname too, and the portuguese commentators say it as "Biancky", but he is french so I think his surname should be pronounced as written, meaning "Bianchi" (in English it would be "Bianshi" )

Speaking of Ricciardo he's under investigation again, could lose his podium.

puMY4lL.png

Clear evidence of him parking in a disabled parking spot without a badge.

I thought that pass was perfectly legal? Green light was on as he went for the move.

Lights go green around the entire track when the safety car pulls in but you still can't pass until the safety car line.

Does anyone else wonder when this conversation will take place at Marussia...

"So Max, you've finished every single F1 race you've started, not bad. Just a suggestion, but perhaps you could combine those finishes with a little extra speed?"

"Dad! Help! Dad?!?! DAAAAAD!?"

Does anyone else wonder when this conversation will take place at Marussia...

"So Max, you've finished every single F1 race you've started, not bad. Just a suggestion, but perhaps you could combine those finishes with a little extra speed?"

"Dad! Help! Dad?!?! DAAAAAD!?"

I don't think Chilton could survive someone mentioning the word speed to him, would be too big a shock.

Lewis Hamilton reckons there is something in Nico Rosberg's telemetry that made him laugh when he saw it, but cannot elaborate without posting the data.

He also says that there is clear evidence of wrongdoing by the team in the broadcast. Since the FIA has not become involve, it's more of a driver management thing, but again, he hasn't elaborated.

Lewis Hamilton reckons there is something in Nico Rosberg's telemetry that made him laugh when he saw it, but cannot elaborate without posting the data.

He also says that there is clear evidence of wrongdoing by the team in the broadcast. Since the FIA has not become involve, it's more of a driver management thing, but again, he hasn't elaborated.

Hand. Feeds. Bite.

You don't want to go down that road, Lewis. You're the Alonso in this situation, and it won't end well for you.

Mercedes can win its championship without him. And given Nico's current form, being only a tenth or two down in qualifying versus Lewis (as opposed to a Webber-Vettel-like half a second), they can gamble on winning another without him.

It's complicated because he can't go into details. But if Mercedes are saying one thing and doing another, then it is something that needs to be addressed. Especially since they are taking the position that the dispute is between Hamilton and Rosberg, and that they are neutral in all of this.

Hand. Feeds. Bite.

You don't want to go down that road, Lewis. You're the Alonso in this situation, and it won't end well for you.

Mercedes can win its championship without him. And given Nico's current form, being only a tenth or two down in qualifying versus Lewis (as opposed to a Webber-Vettel-like half a second), they can gamble on winning another without him.

Mercedes admit that Rosberg used the mode he shouldn't have done in Bahrain (1), the drivers disagreed, Hamilton used it in the next race, the drivers disagreed. Then BrakeLateGate, it was actually the only real story of a surprisingly anonymous weekend for Monaco.

At least Mercedes are being pragmatic. Lauda says "I can't stop them fighting, but they know if they crash into each other they fight me". Works for me. :D

I don't have a favourite driver of the two (I often say I love the sport more than the drivers, probably true), I think we're seeing something quite special this year. Hamilton looks like he's struck the right balance in his personality and is going to have a solid year. Rosberg is looking a steelier character too, I seem to see Keke in more and more shots too. Maybe coincidence, but maybe he's teaching Junior some of those crafty tricks.

Going to be a fascinating season, especially with IRBR showing some solid improvements as the season goes on!

BBC article

* EDIT: I need to check a source for that, it's not in the article where I thought I'd read it... :\

Last edited:
I am starting to dislike Hamilton because he has been carrying on like an ass over the radio for the last few races. He is in danger of falling into the same category as Vettel while on track: Talented, yet thoroughly unlikable.

I am starting to dislike Hamilton because he has been carrying on like an ass over the radio for the last few races. He is in danger of falling into the same category as Vettel while on track: Talented, yet thoroughly unlikable.

I dunno, we just hear many more unspoiled transmissions than we used to. I read somewhere that Rosberg uses the c-word a LOT in his broadcasts, Hamilton should start doing the same :D

They do sound a bit like idiots over the radios, but they are in the heat of the moment with adrenaline pumping through them, so I can understand it. They seem to have themselves relatively under control, compare it to many of the people in the GT6 sub-forum, they're going nuts over a free update not arriving when it was supposedly going to be released. Imagine how they would be doing in racing conditions...

I wonder if it's deliberate. It would explain why we get comparatively few transmissions from him.

I believe it is quite deliberate but I can't remember if I read a factual quote from a team member or if it was an opinion piece. FOM do sometimes broadcast bleeped transmissions when they're important, but very few.

Vettel, now no longer in the best car in the series but also not even able to beat his new teammate, is showing just how "great" he is as a champion.

Vettel, now no longer in the best car in the series but also not even able to beat his new teammate, is showing just how "great" he is as a champion.

Is it? Maybe Ricciardo is faster, that still doesn't mean Vettel isn't a great driver himself and I think he has proven many times that he is very skilled. Of course you can just hate on him and say he only won because of his car if you wish.

Also, he dropped out of this race due to a gearbox failure. He actually took 3rd away from Ricciardo and was ahead of him before the failure. Not that it really means anything, Ricciardo is obviously a very skilled driver too, I think we'll see great things from him on Formula 1.

Is it? Maybe Ricciardo is faster, that still doesn't mean Vettel isn't a great driver himself and I think he has proven many times that he is very skilled. Of course you can just hate on him and say he only won because of his car if you wish.

Also, he dropped out of this race due to a gearbox failure. He actually took 3rd away from Ricciardo and was ahead of him before the failure. Not that it really means anything, Ricciardo is obviously a very skilled driver too, I think we'll see great things from him on Formula 1.
I definitely think he is supremely talented, don't get me wrong on that. But to be a great champion, you need to respond to pressure and, if another team has a ridiculous advantage like Merc does this year, don't be a crybaby about it (At least in public). Senna never really complained in like '92 when the Williams was almost unstoppable.
My post wasn't on how or why he was being beat or in a bad car, but rather his reaction to it.

In an interview with German TV Vettel looked like he had peace with his current situation.

I definitely think he is supremely talented, don't get me wrong on that. But to be a great champion, you need to respond to pressure and, if another team has a ridiculous advantage like Merc does this year, don't be a crybaby about it (At least in public). Senna never really complained in like '92 when the Williams was almost unstoppable.
My post wasn't on how or why he was being beat or in a bad car, but rather his reaction to it.
He complained about Benneton in '94, although he was right...

In an interview with German TV Vettel looked like he had peace with his current situation.

He had such a run of mechanical good fortune when compared to Webber. At least he's now receiving all his bad luck in one short hit. Especially when it's a season where another team is so untouchable anyway.

I dunno, we just hear many more unspoiled transmissions than we used to. I read somewhere that Rosberg uses the c-word a LOT in his broadcasts, Hamilton should start doing the same :D

Which c-word, I can think of two ;) I like that idea though, cursing just enough to keep your radio away from being in the world feed...

Not too impressed with Hamilton's attitude btw... If anyone should understand how things can go wrong in qualifying at Monaco, he should:

Maybe it's just me but I don't want to see another 2007, more teammate melodrama... the media are trying their hardest to whip up the tensions though so we may have no choice. I also find it tedious to have to read about "no fair - so-and-so was using the engine mapping to win..." and rubbish like that.

Show me a champion that wasn't beaten by his team mate before. Even the great Senna regularly got beaten by his team mates.

Back