2014 Grand Prix de Monaco

Vettel, now no longer in the best car in the series but also not even able to beat his new teammate, is showing just how "great" he is as a champion.

I thought it was established that the problem is that the new car conflicts with his driving style, and not that he simply isn't so great. If memory serves me, in previous seasons I've heard race commentary about how Vettel seemed to accelerate out of corners a bit sooner than others, which goes out the window now with the higher-torque lower-downforce cars of 2014. The 2014 cars seem to work against his driving techniques of old.

However, I reckon a good driver needs to be able to adapt and make the most of the car he has.

Vettel, now no longer in the best car in the series but also not even able to beat his new teammate, is showing just how "great" he is as a champion.
Vettel is an insanely good driver. It wasn't just Formula1 he smashed records, but also everything before it. But so far this year the issues he's had were completely out of his control, if that's how you judge a great driver.

Although, if Hamilton wins the championship this year, I guess you'll stand on his hollow world championship due to having the best car, the challenge of only his team mate and beating the grid by a minute every race?

Derek Warwick (driver steward) speaks:

Warwick, president of the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC), admits the decision not to penalise Rosberg probably cost Hamilton the race but says his focus should now be on regaining the championship lead in Canada.

"I understand that Lewis was upset," Warwick is quoted as saying by the Daily Mail. Possibly he would have gone faster than Nico on that lap. Arguably the incident cost him the Grand Prix. I don't want to give him advice really - he has won umpteen races and a world championship - but if I were to say anything it would be to man up and concentrate on the next race in Canada."

Warwick says he was completely satisfied with the data presented to him by Rosberg and insists it was not a decision taken lightly.

"I have been around a long time and seen people try to pull the wool over my eyes. Did I have doubts in my mind? Of course I did. But [Rosberg] gave me the answers I needed. I know there are conspiracy theories but you will not find a more honest driver in grand prix racing than Nico. He said himself that he made a mistake, came in too fast, braked too late and locked up his rear tyres.

'You could argue that as president of the BRDC I would have a reason to come to a decision that would have favoured the British driver, but obviously that is not how I would approach it. I am there to be independent. It is a big decision to make when you are deciding to move a driver to the back of the grid. It was doubly important to get it right because it could affect many things - probably the outcome of the race and possibly of the world championship.

'We had all Mercedes's data, including Lewis's data to overlay on Nico's. We had the FIA data. We had onboard shots, overhead shots, circuit shots. We had throttle traces, braking traces, everything we needed to make, hopefully, the right decision. It was not black and white. It took a long time. We wanted to be sure and thorough."

Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/mercedes/motorsport/story/160449.html#ZZPctMluUtGbLLiF.99

I thought it was established that the problem is that the new car conflicts with his driving style, and not that he simply isn't so great. If memory serves me, in previous seasons I've heard race commentary about how Vettel seemed to accelerate out of corners a bit sooner than others, which goes out the window now with the higher-torque lower-downforce cars of 2014. The 2014 cars seem to work against his driving techniques of old.

However, I reckon a good driver needs to be able to adapt and make the most of the car he has.

Yep that's right, Autosport magazine compared Vettels, Alonso's and Hamiltons driving styles last year. Vettel was making the car oversteer on purpose to get it pointing out of the corner. Then he would put the throttle down earlier knowing the diffuser would give him extra rear end grip. :)

Vettel is struggling to cope with the differences in tire wear and grip, but you've got to give it to him... that's two races in a row where he's had the jump on Ricciardo... only for it to all fizzle away due to car trouble.

Vettel is a racer. His luck is bound to change, sooner or later. In the meantime, he's taking the competition a whole lot more philosophically than Hamilton is.

Vettel is a racer. His luck is bound to change, sooner or later. In the meantime, he's taking the competition a whole lot more philosophically than Hamilton is.
Their in very different situations, Hamilton was probably more mature last year but now he knows he is in with a real chance of the championship and the way he'll see it he's had to win 4 races in a row just to narrowly lead the championship and a mistake from Nico has put a halt to all that hard work whilst he sat behind pretty much powerless.

Last edited:
C62E8126-0487-4F55-AFAC-8FDE60133726_zpsfondvrzh.jpg

Their in very different situations, Hamilton was probably more mature last year but now he knows he is in with a real chance of the championship and the way he'll see it he's had to win 4 races in a row just to narrowly lead the championship and a mistake from Nico has put a halt to all that hard work whilst he sat behind pretty much powerless.

But he's done that with a DNF, I think that psychologically Nico will be considering that. But like I keep saying, Keke isn't going to let his boy be out-psyched in this one... and he knows a thing or two about F1 :)

Watching bits of the 1982 Le Mans review (will watch it entirely asap) I recalled a fantastic article I read today about the Monaco GP and intra-team rivalries in Grand Prix Racing of old.

Here for anyone interested. The way I see it, whenever you have a Prussian GP driver with a name as impressive as Manfred Georg Rudolf von Brauchitsch, you're in for trouble! :D

Have a nice read :)

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/history/caracciola-vs-von-brauchitsch/

Back