2014 Grosser Preis Von Österreich (Austrian GP)

• Thread starter ukfan758
  • 345 comments
That is correct, he also would have won if his stops were a second slower than Rosberg's.

Well we dont know about that do we? unless you can visit some parallel dimension where mercedes pit crew were told to start s****ing Hamiltons pit stops sooner in the year...

The point is as shown he would have not been split by the Williams twice if he had a stop on par with Nico. I don't think it's that far sinister, but I do think the team should be far more consistent.

Shame Lewis had a bad qualifying, starting P9 and having slow pit stops to finish so close to Nico. He should be able to close up though in the WDC, it's just about delivering it which helps when you don't DNF.

Last edited:
I love how people are implying that Mercedes are deliberately screwing over Hamilton to give Rosberg an edge and putting their results as a team on the line.

And yet last year there was a witch-hunt on GTP when Mercedes didn't let Nico pass Lewis at Malaysia... :rolleyes:

I love how people are implying that Mercedes are deliberately screwing over Hamilton to give Rosberg an edge and putting their results as a team on the line.

For god's sake people... :rolleyes:
I noticed Hamilton's pit stops started slowing down after 2012 when Mclaren kept messing them up, perhaps he's naturally steadier out of the pits.

I thought that Webber asked Lewis if he was positioning the car poorly in the stops, meaning the team had to adjust to his positioning and therefore make longer stops. I thought Webber was saying Lewis was screwing Lewis, not the team screwing Lewis. Did I misinterpret that?

Pretty good race, normal service resumed for Mercedes after a wobble in Canada and mini wobble yesterday, brilliant Senna-esque start by Hamilton, great drive by Perez from 16th to 6th...

I'm tired of Alonso constantly remarking how better he is compared to Raikkonen. We got it.
But you are booth going no where with this car. This year we will not win a damn race so please STFU.

I have the feeling he is playing the "bastard" role more often than usual because he want to leave the team, he probably realized Ferrari are not going to win the champ any time soon and being over 30 years old driver, he must leave Ferrari if he want to try his last world championship chances, maybe with Honda engine next year.

I'm tired of Alonso constantly remarking how better he is compared to Raikkonen. We got it.
But you are booth going no where with this car. This year we will not win a damn race so please STFU.

I have the feeling he is playing the "bastard" role more often than usual because he want to leave the team, he probably realized Ferrari are not going to win the champ any time soon and being over 30 years old driver, he must leave Ferrari if he want to try his last world championship chances, maybe with Honda engine next year.

More often then usual? Alonso is simply not a nice teammate. And he is belittling Raikkonen because for him not having a #1 and #2 on the team is unacceptable.

More often then usual? Alonso is simply not a nice teammate. And he is belittling Raikkonen because for him not having a #1 and #2 on the team is unacceptable.
Now with the results he is obviously #1 but the problem is more than that. He want to leave the team, I can understand that. Frankly, Ferrari has been managed horribly in the last years, booth by Elkann's and Montezemolo. So he know there will be no title chances next year and I think he is trying to get fired.

I just don't like how the things are going booth from his side and the team side.
That said Raikkonen is not a slow driver at all he is just driving a truck and he's loosing some confidence.

Now with the results he is obviously #1 but the problem is more than that. He want to leave the team, I can understand that. Frankly, Ferrari has been managed horribly in the last years, booth by Elkann's and Montezemolo. So he know there will be no title chances next year and I think he is trying to get fired.

I just don't like how the things are going booth from his side and the team side.
That said Raikkonen is not a slow driver at all he is just driving a truck and he's loosing some confidence.
I think quiet the contrary, he's working for being put #1 in writing for next year.
Alonso doesnt have that many options to be fair. Top teams are either set or have Ron Dennis on them.

I notice Fernando comes in 5th an AWFUL lot. Must be his favorite number.
1+4=5
mind-blown.gif

Watching the race now since I didn't want to wake up at 530 in the morning. First thought: Wow I didn't know F1 cars could drive on tracks with elevation changes! :dopey:

I thought that Webber asked Lewis if he was positioning the car poorly in the stops, meaning the team had to adjust to his positioning and therefore make longer stops. I thought Webber was saying Lewis was screwing Lewis, not the team screwing Lewis. Did I misinterpret that?

I thought exactly the same... But I can't say for sure that's the case.

Couldn't watch the race live so just watched it on BBC Highlights. Fairly standard race, few overtakes here and there but all pretty simple, not much dicing. Great start by Hamilton and good recovery, another poor race performance by Massa IMO losing out to his team mate on pure pace but good for them to finally realise their potential with good points.

Nothing much else to talk about really, fairly uneventful race.

And he is belittling Raikkonen because for him not having a #1 and #2 on the team is unacceptable.
Perhaps he is belittling Räikkönen because Räikkönen is proving to be fairly hopeless this year. There was a lot of hype about a potential Alonso vs. Räikkönen intra-team battle this year, but eight races in, Alonso is carrying the team. Räikkönen is just picking up minor points here and there, and clearly isn't performing.

Räikkönen is pretty much on the same pegging as Vettel, still struggling with the car whilst their team mates got to grips straight away.

Better than those Santander logo trophy's they have!

I agree, anything is better than those generic Santander ones. Frankly the more bonkers they are the better IMO because they will look great in a trophy cabinet. I still remember the interactive one they gave Vettel at the Brazilian GP...

VettelLead106613832.jpg

Like a kid on Christmas morning. :lol:

On a side note, the 'don't press the overtake button' thing... did someone label the engine off button by accident? :sly:

So why is Alonso so unjustified in criticising him, considering that we are half a season in and Räikkönen is still not comfortable with the car?

Personally, I simply see it as Raikkonen struggling with a car that he can't feel out. Nothing more, nothing less. Most drivers have these issues from time to time. We've seen it with Massa (who wasn't all that slow) and Raikkonen... that Ferrari has been, and still is, a dog over these past several years.

Alonso is not most drivers. Give him a truly awful car and he will shine. Which means he's just way too good for Ferrari, and they'll be desperate to keep him, if only to hang on to what little pride they have left, at this point.

As opposed to McLaren, who have only thoughts of next season left to hang on to. Behind both Williams and Force India at this point... the only way to be lower than McLaren right now is to not have a Mercedes engine. It's absolutely disgraceful.

-

If Mercedes are going to be having any more MG-UK problems, I think Hamilton will need to make a big adjustment. As we've seen both times when this has happened, Nico also had issues but was able to adjust, since he naturally runs more front bias than Lewis.

Lewis is still a fantastic driver. And faster than Rosberg. There's no doubt about that. The problem is, his set-up relies on too much rear bias. He's more comfortable, apparently, on the cusp of oversteer (that qualifying lap was beautiful from the on-boards. Right up to the point where the rear broke away under braking)... and in terms of lift-and-coast tactics without losing speed, it seems he's unmatched on the grid.

It might even be that he needs the rear bias to get the car pointed because he brakes so late. But he'll need to make adjustments to cope with these MG-UK issues in the future. Shame... this was a beautiful style to watch. :(

Are the problems coming from overheating the system, or a general overloading of it? If it is heat, then surely making the rear ducts a tiny bit bigger would be the simple solution. Sure, it would cost a bit of aero efficiency, but way better than constant failures or management.

Back