2014+ Lexus IS | RC General Discussion: RC-F Revealed

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 193 comments
Edit 2:

(I tried)

That, to me is more like it, and solves exactly the only problem I had with the car (as did Keef, it seems), the split lights. I prefer this to the photoshop job further down that splits the front grille - that just makes it look too bland. And as I've said before, and as NFSCARBON1 says above, a license plate in the middle will break up the large expanse of grille.

I'm a little surprised how many people vehemently dislike this thing, though I suppose I shouldn't be. The vast majority of the population is actually quite conservative in their tastes.

F6ZZl.jpg

I too was initially a bit shocked by the front light treatment but if you look at the picture above and focus on the headlight on the right side you'll see it's sculpted or more a 3D design instead of a flat piece of glass.
So it might actually work in conjuncture with the busy lower line in the flesh, I'll therefor reserve my judgement for now.

I applaud them for doing something really different though, who'd have believed for only a few years ago Lexus could be daring?

I suppose it's worth also noting, with regard to the headlight, that it might look a bit less odd if the car wasn't painted white. It rather highlights (literally) the weirdness.

Yeah, the white paint not only illustrates the gap but also blurs the detailing.
Head on with what looks like a silver-ish paint I think it works though.

2014-Lexus-IS.jpg

If recent Lexi are anything to go by, my pick will be a deep, rich colour like blue or red. Maybe even brown, like the LF-CC concept which previewed the IS.

I normally quite like white, particularly on Japanese cars, but here I don't think it's bringing out the car's best.

I like almost every part of the car, except for how the headlights are separated. Anyone have the time to see what the car would look like if the headlights were one piece (photoshop)?

Edit 2:

isedit.png

(I tried)
Much better at first glance. Of course, like HFS said, I'll probably grow to like the headlights because of their weirdness but your rudimentary fix is much more attractive at first glance. It looks much less like they screwed up and ran out of time to fix it.

From Lexus Facebook page-

"Do you remember the ‘02 IS 300 Sport Cross with its style, utility and performance? Will we bring it back? Watch the 2014 IS premiere on Facebook in 6 days to find out!"

I thought they called it the CT200h, which was a $40,000 Prius with so little fanfare, it actually was an interest vacuum. Although, I had a few customers that were disappointed the 2nd-gen IS didn't include a SportCross in it's lineup.

This is definitely a love it or hate it design, no in-between.

I'll show this to my brother, who owns a 2011 model, and see if he stays Lexus or moves elsewhere.

This car will look slightly better with a ride height drop and slightly fatter tires, but I guess that's for an F-sport package down the line.

The one pictured IS the F-sport model.

I find the interior friggin' beautiful/ The headlights I am starting to get used to but the separate design still looks weird as hell to me. The predator grill is growing on me somewhat but I still don't like it, and I see Lexus going down the same road as Acura with their beak, they will have to tone it down a little.

Wow that looks terrible. Can't really do anything but laugh at it..

I hope no one really gets excited about "F Sport" packages making a big difference. If you have ever driven a real IS-F then a regular IS and an F Sport you will be stuck loling at how much money people pay for damn near nothing..

Want performance and a perfect interior? Get an IS-F. Want tacky interior and a $40,000 IS with sweet badges? Get an F Sport..

There is no substitute for dat V8 and attention to detail.. Just my $0.02..

Last edited:
Seems like Lexus is totally taking their styling cues from a certain movie............

agzM8.jpg

Just saying...

I thought they called it the CT200h

The CT 200h is a class size below. Think 1-Series hatch, rather than 3-Series Touring.

I hope no one really gets excited about "F Sport" packages making a big difference. If you have ever driven a real IS-F then a regular IS and an F Sport you will be stuck loling at how much money people pay for damn near nothing..

Want performance and a perfect interior? Get an IS-F. Want tacky interior and a $40,000 IS with sweet badges? Get an F Sport.

In the GS at least, the F-Sport does feel significantly different to the regular car. Different suspension, more responsive, and four-wheel steering. Costs extra obviously, but it certainly isn't paying for "damn near nothing".

I'm led to believe the CT is much better as an F-Sport too. I can't say for sure, as I've only driven the CT F-Sport and not the regular car. But the CT is several orders of magnitude better to drive than the Prius it's based on.

I'm a fan of the IS in general but this new generation's fascia is all over the place and certainly needs some clean up. Of course, I'm not a big fan of the fad for blacked-out grill to bump designs.
Probably need to see it in real life before saying too much, never know, it might work in person. :P

Ive driven all 3 and I'm sticking to what I said for the IS line. It may all sound good when you read what they have done but in reality it is damn near nothing when you compare it to an IS-F it's supposed to represent. In my opinion it's a disgrace to the F badge to put it on anything but the real deal, especially at the price an F Sport will set you back in comparison it's a joke.

In a GS it's probably better, I don't know anything about those and have never driven one but I'm guessing it has a much bigger engine and much softer suspension stock, so it probably gets a lot more out of the package.

Last edited:
Ive driven all 3 and I'm sticking to what I said for the IS line. It may all sound good when you read what they have done but in reality it is damn near nothing when you compare it to an IS-F it's supposed to represent. In my opinion it's a disgrace to the F badge to put it on anything but the real deal, especially at the price an F Sport will set you back in comparison it's a joke.
The F-Sport option on the IS is $2-3K over the standard models. That much for revised suspension & steering as well as a nicer interior, body trim & wheels?
While some will argue that F-Sport is probably the wrong name to give it, that's a reasonable amount of add-on for the price.

Besides, it's not like the IS-F has lived up to its own price tag to begin with. It's a $62,000 car now. When it came out, it was a $56,000 car & in the time between, it's biggest updates have really been the transmission & suspension tweaks. The 2008 & 2012 models don't drive that drastically different. But, at least in 2008, it was able to undercut the Germans in price. Now, Cadillac offers a 550Hp sedan for the same price.

With the GS-F, it's a much better car with the Drive Mode Select & DRS. I imagine the new IS F-Sport will incorporate it in some way where as the current F-Sport was added onto an already developed platform.

Last edited:
What im seeing on the lexus site is a is350 is $40,000 and the only real F Sport package is $5,000.. so that's $45,000 for an IS350 F Sport. Or a little over $60k for the real deal that is a much better car and well worth the price in comparison.

I didn't compare anything for value and everyone knows lexus's are expensive, so why are you bringing up cadillac's for value? If we are talking value for money in comparison to speed I'm sure when comparing the $40,000+ F Sport line to other cars that beat it in performance for money spent the F Sport would have a much longer list then the one comparing cars that are faster than an IS-F for the money.

Edit: I just went back and realized I didn't even make it to the wheel options but it looks like F Sport wheels set you back another $4,000 to $5,000. So what you're telling me is a $50,000 IS350 with an F Sport package like you mentioned is good value and a $62,000 IS-f is bad value because it has gone up 10% over the span of 4 years while getting improvements along the way?

Last edited:
In a GS it's probably better, I don't know anything about those and have never driven one but I'm guessing it has a much bigger engine and much softer suspension stock, so it probably gets a lot more out of the package.

The current IS isn't particularly special anyway. If it goes the same way as other recent Lexus models, the new IS will drive far better than the car it's replacing.

If that's the case, then like the GS, the IS F-Sport might be more of a jump than it is on the current car.

What im seeing on the lexus site is a is350 is $40,000 and the only real F Sport package is $5,000.. so that's $45,000 for an IS350 F Sport. Or a little over $60k for the real deal that is a much better car and well worth the price in comparison.
A RWD IS 350 retails at $41,215. The F-Sport 350 is $43,655. That's a $2,500 difference at most, half of what you claim. $2,500 for new wheels, seats, revised suspension & steering, and body trim is a very reasonable offer.

I didn't compare anything for value and everyone knows lexus's are expensive, so why are you bringing up cadillac's for value? If we are talking value for money in comparison to speed I'm sure when comparing the $40,000+ F Sport line to other cars that beat it in performance for money spent the F Sport would have a much longer list then the one comparing cars that are faster than an IS-F for the money.
You're saying the price for an F-Sport IS is a joke in comparison to an IS-F. The IS-F price is a joke in comparison for cars of its own category.

Lexus' are expensive, but they've also been the cheaper option to other luxury manufacturers. The IS is far too outdated now to justify the rising costs since it first released.
Edit: I just went back and realized I didn't even make it to the wheel options but it looks like F Sport wheels set you back another $4,000 to $5,000. So what you're telling me is a $50,000 IS350 with an F Sport package like you mentioned is good value and a $62,000 IS-f is bad value because it has gone up 10% over the span of 4 years while getting improvements along the way?
Go back & look again.

The IS F-Sport already comes with its own exclusive wheels.
2011-lexus-is-f-sport-package-1.jpg

These are not available on any other IS model. If you want an optional wheel for the non F-Sport, there's only an 18-inch wheel. The other wheels are what are defined as accessories. These can be fitted to any IS model, F-Sport or not. Hell, the Full Face wheel is even available for the GS F-Sport.

I also never said the car overall was a good value. It isn't in today's market. What is a good value is what you get for spending $2,500 more for the F-Sport over the base IS350. The IS-F isn't a good value either because the IS lineup as a whole is outclassed by its competitors. A fully loaded IS-F is $70,000 at the end of the deal. That's not a whole lot of car for $70,000, esp. not for being marketed as a performance car.

Not one thing you say is fact and that's a cool photo and all.. but I'm curious where you find an F Sport package starting at any less than $5,000.. This is the only F Sport package I see and it isn't even including the $2,500 AWD option you mentioned included in the "$2-$3K" you claim an F Sport package costs.

lexus_zpsf9d1d1a3.jpg

I could really care less and probably won't even respond to this again.. might actually get interesting if you could prove anything true and quit posting random photos you find to prove an imaginary point. Have you ever even driven or been in any car in the IS lineup?

Last edited:
In my opinion it's a disgrace to the F badge to put it on anything but the real deal, especially at the price an F Sport will set you back in comparison it's a joke.

A disgrace to a badge that Lexus put on all of one car before they introduced the F Sport line?

Not one thing you say is fact and that's a cool photo and all.. but I'm curious where you find an F Sport package starting at any less than $5,000.. This is the only F Sport package I see and it isn't even including the $2,500 AWD option you mentioned included in the "$2-$3K" you claim an F Sport package costs.

I could really care less and probably won't even respond to this again.. might actually get interesting if you could prove anything true and quit posting random photos you find to prove an imaginary point. Have you ever even driven or been in any car in the IS lineup?

w9d7hy.jpg

If by some chance, you are capable of reading:

2013 IS 350 RWD: $41,215
2013 IS 350 RWD F-Sport: $43,655

Now, let's look at how your picture proves my point even more once we show everyone the Navigation option you've either cropped out, or isn't available to you.
2q8ptgw.jpg

The F-Sport Package adds 9 options to the model in addition to the Navigation Option.

Navigation System is $3,559 & includes the following

• Navigation System
  • Voice Command
  • Color LCD Display
  • Bluetooth
  • NavTraffic
  • NavWeather
  • Sports And Stocks
  • Lexus Enform
  • Perforated Leather
  • 2 optional interior trims
  • Rear Spoiler
The F-Sport Package is $4,930 & includes everything above except the perforated leather seats (which are replaced), interior trim options & has its own spoiler. With the F-Sport Package, you get these 9 items in addition to the Navigation System ($3,559):

• Aluminum Door-Sill Scuff Plates
  • Aluminum Sport Pedals
  • F-Sport 5-spoke split-alloys
  • Sport-Tuned suspension & EPS Tuning
  • F-Sport front seats, steering wheel, shift knob, & front fender bage
  • Upper & lower grill inserts
  • Front lip spoiler
  • Rear Spoiler (decklid)
So, let's see, those 9 F-Sport options add an additional $1,371 on to the Navigation package that comes standard.
Hmm, that's even further from your claim of $5,000 more.

Everything I've posted is fact & it's because I actually work for Lexus. So, it's required knowledge. You, on the other hand, are spewing more nonsense because you don't know how to do proper research.

So, it's a fantastic thing that you're not replying. Because, there's nothing for you to correct me on to begin with. The pictures above tell everyone what you get for the money.

Hopefully, that answers your last question of whether I've driven any cars in the IS lineup. I'm beyond familiar with them, though chances are, you're not.

Last edited:
I love the look of the car. Aggressive. This is only the F-Sport, so the regular IS won't look like this, at least the front grille. If it aint for you that's cool, it does it for me. Only thing is the wheels are a bit small and the ride height still a little high IMO.

Everything I've posted is fact & it's because I actually work for Lexus. So, it's required knowledge. You, on the other hand, are spewing more nonsense because you don't know how to do proper research.

So, it's a fantastic thing that you're not replying. Because, there's nothing for you to correct me on to begin with. The pictures above tell everyone what you get for the money.

Hopefully, that answers your last question of whether I've driven any cars in the IS lineup. I'm beyond familiar with them, though chances are, you're not.

Oh%2520Snap.gif

Do they get mad at you for driving your Acura around the Lexus lot, McLaren?

A RWD IS 350 retails at $41,215. The F-Sport 350 is $43,655. That's a $2,500 difference at most, half of what you claim. $2,500 for new wheels, seats, revised suspension & steering, and body trim is a very reasonable offer.

I also never said the car overall was a good value. It isn't in today's market. What is a good value is what you get for spending $2,500 more for the F-Sport over the base IS350. The IS-F isn't a good value either because the IS lineup as a whole is outclassed by its competitors. A fully loaded IS-F is $70,000 at the end of the deal. That's not a whole lot of car for $70,000, esp. not for being marketed as a performance car.

And to add to that, BMW and Audi does the same thing with M Sport and S Line Package respectively anyways, so I don't see how an F-Sport model is anymore of a disgrace.

In any case, if the market thinks the F-Sport is a bad value, then the market will sort itself out and that option package will die out. The fact that it remains as an option means that at least it's not a complete value proposition failure.

Once I see some of these cars on the road, I will know if the design was a epic success, or utter disaster. It could go either way for me. Right now, I kinda like it & hate it.

Back