2013_hyundai_sonata_f34_ns_50812_717.jpg

Toyota-Camry-2013.jpg

2013-chevrolet-malibu-eco-ny-630.jpg

2013-ford-fusion-hybrid-detroit-2012---01-opt.jpg

2013_kia_optima_sx-pic-5828140464963187508.jpeg

Nissan2013Altima-17_medium.jpg

new-subaru-legacy-unveiled-in-china-photo-gallery_12.jpg

01-2014-mazda6628opt.jpg

The only car of those that looks anywhere near as good as the new 6 is the Kia, to my eyes, but that car is already beginning to look dated.

I love this. Hope the numbers and the price come through.

The Mazda6 I had for a rental while my Civic was being repaired was a boat.

That's because we got the "large" version when the last design change was made. Apparently the rest of the world thinks everyone in our country weighs 300 pounds, so we need a larger car. The version released in Japan and Europe is a smaller, better looking car.

Hoping they don't do that again this time around. :nervous:

I think it's definitely the best looking car in its segment. The Kia is starting to look dated, the Sonata is overstyled, and the Ford is boring in person.

1st gen parks like it's a boat but feels good. Not as loose off throttle and not as stiff as an Si but I prefer it.

2nd gen... Yeah, it's just a boat. :lol:

That's because we got the "large" version when the last design change was made. Apparently the rest of the world thinks everyone in our country weighs 300 pounds, so we need a larger car. The version released in Japan and Europe is a smaller, better looking car.

Hoping they don't do that again this time around. :nervous:

If they do that again I'm going to strangle someone at Mazda for not giving me a car to want.

Granted, I'm not entirely sure about price range :dunce:... BUT... Volvo's still kicking.

In terms of just the styling, yes, Volvo's been doing it right for 20 years, in terms of styling. :drool:

The Ford is hideous, and the others are just so plain OR over styled, it's ridiculous.

224l-hyundai-elantra.jpg

This one's a nice style. I like the wrapped taillights.

To my eye each car has its issues.
From the sides and rear the Honda's a bit dull same with the Toyota,
The Hyundai is to round and squinty
I like the Chevy not to much to look at but not to dull.
The Fords front facia looks a little high & The line down the side looks off.
The Kia's rear is ugly and Nissan's front is ugly:boggled:
Subaru's front looks kinda odd and overdone.
But the Mazda's perfect :cool:
Personaly i'd rather have a Buick Regal or even a Chevy Cruze , or any Mercedes.

At 3,000 pounds, that's bang on where the current one is at. The only other "midsize" car in the same weight range is the Kizashi... and that's got much less space.

Compared to the Si, it would be... but compared to any other midsized sedan out there, it's a ballerina in sneakers.

The first-gen was buzzy and feelsome. Think a Mazda Protege with worse sound insulation, sharper steering and a tendency towards tail-out antics (with the four-cylinder).

The second-gen was more refined, but still had sharp steering. Not quite as outright frisky as the first gen, but still awesome handling for a big car and very nimble for its size (again... with the four-cylinder... can't vouch for the nose-heavy V6).

I think the Ford is nice, but everything else is either average or just plain ugly.

The Optima still is the best looking car in this class to me. But I must say the new six looks pretty impressive. It has a subtle premiumness about it's lines, me likey.

The Optima still is the best looking car in this class to me. But I must say the new six looks pretty impressive. It has a subtle premiumness about it's lines, me likey.

In my opinion, the Optima really only looks good in SX trim. That's really about it. Everything else is a bit too bland for my tastes. The Ford Fusion gets the nod from be as "best-looking," it is far more impressive in person, but I will admit that certain colors limit it's potential.

The Mazda has a lot of potential, the look is fantastic. I'm under the assumption that the volume US model will have the 2.0L SkyActiv engine and transmission, and that'll likely be the one to go with. But, without Ford's financial backing, I'm worried that the price will begin floating a bit too high. If Mazda wants to be successful, they're going to need to undercut a lot of the competition there.

Thing is, with the price of the 3i SkyActiv having gone up so much compared to the previous 3i 2.0L model, my hopes aren't too high.

Strong yen and limited production capacity... not good. But the CX5 is reportedly selling more than they can produce... and the SkyActiv engines seem to be pretty sweet.

Not hybrid sweet, but I drove a 2.0 CX5 and it got better economy than my Protege ever did. Hypermile it and you could probably see over 50 mpg. Not at US interstate speeds... but still...

A Mazda6, 2.0, 6MT. 3000 pounds. Possible 40 MPG highway. Same lovely Mazda driving feel. Definitely do want.

Last edited:
Thing is, with the price of the 3i SkyActiv having gone up so much compared to the previous 3i 2.0L model, my hopes aren't too high.

Has it really though?

The 3 SkyActiv is about 3 grand more expensive than the base 2.0... But the SkyActiv also sticks quite a bit more kit in. My bet is the true difference would be somewhere around a grand at worst.

Quite a looker, actually. And more similar to the concept than I thought it might be.

Mazda may just have gone and designed the best-looking sedan since the Alfa Romeo 156 disappeared. Apart from maybe the Jaguar XF.

Has it really though?

The 3 SkyActiv is about 3 grand more expensive than the base 2.0... But the SkyActiv also sticks quite a bit more kit in. My bet is the true difference would be somewhere around a grand at worst.

What I'm concerned about is that other cars in the segment are going to be able to under-price the Mazda, and that will not bode well for sales. Certainly, there are Mazda6 fans out there that will likely snap them up immediately... But, they need a sales hit, and that means a well-equipped SkyActiv model is going to have to retail for under $23K.

By all means, Mazda should have the Fusion square in their sights.

A coupe version has been rumoured and also an AWD system is being worked on for the Mazda 6.
chief designer Akira Tamatani confirmed a four-seat coupe was under consideration.
"There is no decision, but I would love to make one," said Tamatani. "The first job is to make the saloon and estate, but from this position a coupe is not so far away."

program manager Hiroshi Kajiyama confirmed that all-wheel drive systems were being evaluated by Mazda.
“There are no set plans, but we are studying the possibility of introducing all-wheel drive – it would be a good weapon with which to establish the brand,” said Kajiyama. “It is my belief that there is a very strong opportunity for us if we bring it to market.”
Auto Car

Also a performance version is in the works.
Hiroshi Kajiyama, program manager for the car, has admitted that a model which evokes the spirit of the company’s MPS models is being looked at.

“There is a high potential for this, and it would be helpful to the brand,”
Weight reduction would be key to a new hot model. The 6 is already 50kg lighter than before and according to Kajiyama “we could lose more”.

Turbocharging the 173bhp diesel engine is also being considered. Kajiyama refused to be drawn, though, on whether the 6 would wear the MPS badge.
Auto Express

2013-ford-fusion-hybrid-detroit-2012---01-opt.jpg

2013_kia_optima_sx-pic-5828140464963187508.jpeg
01-2014-mazda6628opt.jpg

The only car of those that looks anywhere near as good as the new 6 is the Kia, to my eyes, but that car is already beginning to look dated.
These three are the only ones that stand out in my opinion. The Ford and Kia are nice but the Ford looks very thick and massive while the Kia looks tall and skinny. The Mazda is the only one of the entire segment that manages to look low, wide, and athletic.

Wow, the SkyactivD isn't turbocharged?

It is, just a poor translation. Looks fantastic!

Based on what I've seen/heard so far the euro models will get the following engines (all Skyactiv):

Petrol
2.0 165bhp ~155 lb/ft (Torque is a guess)
Diesel
2.2 148bhp 280 lb/ft or 173bhp 310 lb/ft

The US seem to be getting (again both Skyactiv)

Petrol
2.0 148bhp 155 lb/ft
2.5 189bhp 189 lb/ft

Surprised at the fact the the US model gets a less powerful 2.0 engine, although I think one or both of the diesels would suit US buyers needs very well (Good low-rev torque and plenty of oomph for overtaking). Still the lightness should benefit every engine.

It is, just a poor translation. Looks fantastic!

Based on what I've seen/heard so far the euro models will get the following engines (all Skyactiv):

Petrol
2.0 165bhp ~155 lb/ft (Torque is a guess)
Diesel
2.2 148bhp 280 lb/ft or 173bhp 310 lb/ft

The US seem to be getting (again both Skyactiv)

Petrol
2.0 148bhp 155 lb/ft
2.5 189bhp 189 lb/ft

Surprised at the fact the the US model gets a less powerful 2.0 engine, although I think one or both of the diesels would suit US buyers needs very well (Good low-rev torque and plenty of oomph for overtaking). Still the lightness should benefit every engine.

Those 2.0 specs sound wrong, my bet is 155/155 like in the CX-5. Part of our 2.0 being weaker is that nobody in the US will pay for anything better than 87 octane.

Ooh, that 2.2 diesel sounds nice! Sadly, Americans refuse to buy a car with a sensible powertrain.

Latest Posts

Back