2014 New Zealand / Australia General Discussion

Yeah, there will be heaps more. It's a good place to start/practice/add names to friendlist etc.
Warrior is a good friend of mine. He and Adam2167 look like they're gonna do really well. But you also can't count out some of the iRacing Aussies like Madison Down (GTP_mad94d)
Yeah I think when it comes to race camp Madison Down will be tough to beat as he has quite a bit of real racing experience too.

NISSAN DRIVER ACADEMY SET FOR AUSTRALIA

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/10/24/nissan-driver-academy-set-australia/

Good good news for us folk in the down and under!

Ahem, if this doesnt guarantee the Altima is in GT6 at release, I dont know what will.

The Altima will most likely be in GT6. Hopefully as a day one car and not as DLC :sly:

When they say an Oz GTA is to be expected in the next 2 cycles of GT Academy/18 months I wonder what would take the folk over at Nissan that long to get it set up. That's mid-2015 to give you guys an idea of how far away the next possible one is.

I dont know why it would take this long. I can only guess with the development of the Altima, trying to secure a venue and test circuit in Australia, a cast and crew locally or from the UK, theyre getting that sorted. They still may be figuring out the V8 season enduros. Plus how competitive the cars will be for next year with Krumm and Ordonez at the wheel. Nissan want to add customer cars but, they want to make sure the Altima is winning.

I dont know why it would take this long. I can only guess with the development of the Altima, trying to secure a venue and test circuit in Australia, a cast and crew locally or from the UK, theyre getting that sorted. They still may be figuring out the V8 season enduros. Plus how competitive the cars will be for next year with Krumm and Ordonez at the wheel. Nissan want to add customer cars but, they want to make sure the Altima is winning.

Anyone get the feeling that they'll do the qualifying for the next one on PS4? Polyphony Digital could well come out with a GT7 demo for the next gen console... If that happens then what a pain in the a*** this whole competition is :lol:

EDIT: Fuel to the fire the minute I entertain the idea :indiff: - http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/gran-turismo-7-is-coming-in-2014-2013-11-20

Last edited:
I read that too Louie, it seems like nonsense, just another 'we pushed Kaz for an answer just so we'd have clickbait' thing. GT Academy 2015 on the PS4 GT7 demo is the earliest I'd expect to see either happening.

I read that too Louie, it seems like nonsense, just another 'we pushed Kaz for an answer just so we'd have clickbait' thing. GT Academy 2015 on the PS4 GT7 demo is the earliest I'd expect to see either happening.

It's what journalists do :lol:

The 2014 Academy for the established places such as Europe and US should happen on GT6 unless their marketing team decides to save money and just wait for GT7 (can't really think of a reason they'd do this because GT-A must be integrated quite well into their marketing budget already).

But I can imagine this is the reasoning why they'd be waiting all that time to have one here in NZ/AU because the competition is an incentive for those serious about it to buy the PS4. Not sure how many people would be willing to shell out $5-600+ on a next-gen console and maybe a PS Plus subscription in 18 months time just to compete though.

You would be surprised.

I know i would but to say its just to compete is stupid, it would also mean having the new GT for me.

You would be surprised.

I know i would but to say its just to compete is stupid, it would also mean having the new GT for me.

That's what I did for the 2010 Academy. Borrowed a friends PS3 for a month during the online qualifying and bought a Logitech wheel. I didn't really give the then next-gen console and Gran Turismo much thought until I heard about GT-A.

It's a shame they didn't have it in these parts the year after when GT5 was launched since I bought the PS3 expecting one in 2011. Can't complain, at least there was that B-Spec T.T. for the Mercedes-Benz and the Academy Edition Challenge early this year. Still, those prizes small potatoes compared to what GT Academy has to offer :indiff:

I didn't even have a PS3 or a freind who had access to GT acedemy 2010 so i had to miss it completely.

Not that it matters though, as at the time i wasn't ready to make it to the final.

Im going to Make a petition this weekend and send it accross GT planet and some of my other Race forums to give to Nissans Australian Ceo this way they can see we are serious about having this competition.

I didn't even have a PS3 or a freind who had access to GT acedemy 2010 so i had to miss it completely.

Not that it matters though, as at the time i wasn't ready to make it to the final.

Im going to Make a petition this weekend and send it accross GT planet and some of my other Race forums to give to Nissans Australian Ceo this way they can see we are serious about having this competition.

A petition for what exactly.

To get GT academy for Australia, they said for it to happen here they have to see enough interest, seems like the perfect way to gather it.

But it's already been confirmed that it's coming to Australia though, that's why I'm confused.

But it's already been confirmed that it's coming to Australia though, that's why I'm confused.
With probablies on time scale, its similar talking to how Kaz explains that a new GT will come out at this time when in reality its double that.

Oh, is this about hoping to get it sooner to avoid more chance of it being a demo for GT7?

I'm sorry if all this is spelled out in the petition, I can't check it right now, on my slow phone.

Oh, is this about hoping to get it sooner to avoid more chance of it being a demo for GT7?

I'm sorry if all this is spelled out in the petition, I can't check it right now, on my slow phone.
What?

The whole idea is just to show nissan look we are keen to do this, one source saying yeah it might be here in 18 months doesnt sound like a certian deal to me.

@mustafur Oh, no, but it is, the source is Darren Cox, lead of the entire program from conception to now, it's as official as it gets and he wouldn't just say it if it were only a chance, but a definite.

The source is speedcafe, the only source to even mention it anywhere.
If it was a done deal you would see it else where as well.

Last time they had one for 1 year and thats it, they are more likely to take it serious if they see seeious interest.

No point just hoping what they say is right better be safe then sorry.

The source is speedcafe, the only source to even mention it anywhere.
If it was a done deal you would see it else where as well.

Last time they had one for 1 year and thats it, they are more likely to take it serious if they see seeious interest.

No point just hoping what they say is right better be safe then sorry.

The source, is Darren Cox, Speedcafe just wrote it up. Trust me, it will happen, I'm well connected in GT Academy and I went to Silverstone in 2012 as an American finalist.

Australia will happen, Sony/Nissan just doesn't know whether it'll happen next year or the year after.

You guys are lucky being from NZ or Australia.... I'm from Romania, there is not even one race track in this country.. 0 chances for GT Academy ever :)

I want to participate next year but with a UK account, what do you think that will happen if someone like me got in the first places? Will he be disqualified for being an alien? :))

You guys are lucky being from NZ or Australia.... I'm from Romania, there is not even one race track in this country.. 0 chances for GT Academy ever :)

I want to participate next year but with a UK account, what do you think that will happen if someone like me got in the first places? Will he be disqualified for being an alien? :))

From what I know the only thing that will stop you from qualifying is not having a passport/citizenship in a participating country so maybe you could look into getting one from any one of them?

Hey guys I just got word that Jann (2011 European winner) will be heading to New Zealand again over January to early February. This means that a Nissan/GT Academy support team will also be heading this way and more likely than not they'll be meeting with Nissan NZ bigwigs when they're in the country.

1502423_633656320029618_1940129901_o.jpg

If there's ever a time for us to ramp up the "we want GT Academy in New Zealand" message it would be NOW.

Here's Nissan and PlayStation NZ's easiest points of contact from the OP

Make sure you shout out to Nissan and PlayStation NZ through the links below if you want them to consider bringing GT Academy back.

I've also made a community page on Facebook that you can like and share with your friends so that there is a physical online petition that everyone can get involved with - www.facebook.com/GTAcademyForNewZealand

Nissan
Website NZ - www.nissan.co.nz/insidenissan/contact/
Facebook NZ - www.facebook.com/NissanNZ
Twitter NZ - www.twitter.com/NissanNZ

PlayStation/Sony Computer Entertainment
Facebook NZ - www.facebook.com/PlaystationNZ
Twitter NZ - www.twitter.com/PlayStationEU

Can't hurt to give Nissan's Global Motorsport Director a shout out on twitter about bringing GT Academy back here as well - www.twitter.com/IamDarrenCox

Last edited:
Have you seen that gt academy is expanding next year into more regions. Plus another maybe little hint. James Moffat racing in the dubai 24hr with the academy winners.

Have you seen that gt academy is expanding next year into more regions. Plus another maybe little hint. James Moffat racing in the dubai 24hr with the academy winners.

Yup. Good old facebook keeping everyone updated! https://www.facebook.com/notes/gt-academy/where-next-for-gt-academy/10152595156758504

1497451_10151854727460197_1844133884_n.jpg

GT Academy has more or less been confirmed for Australia by SpeedCafe anyway so the news most of us will be waiting for is whether New Zealand will have it as well and when it will actually be held...

It will if they come to Aus they will have to go as far as NZ. Could you pencil in Jann for the GTR GT3 car at bathurst seeing how he is already down this way the weekend before?

Latest Posts

Back