2014 New Zealand / Australia General Discussion

Philippines
New Zealand
The power of positive thinking!

GT Academy New Zealand 2013 has not been confirmed but basically I took the chance to talk to Jann Mardenborough's Nissan support crew at the Hampton Downs Motorsport Park yesterday about the competition making a return to this part of the world.

I was told that they had a chat to a couple of Nissan bigwigs and there is interest to bring it back here. The last piece of the puzzle is for Nissan and PlayStation NZ to actually open their wallets to spend on the event. Looks like we'll have to convince them somehow that we're actually a worthwhile investment if we want the competition back here!

Make sure you shout out to Nissan and PlayStation NZ through the links below if you want them to consider bringing GT Academy back.

I've also made a community page on Facebook that you can like and share with your friends so that there is a physical online petition that everyone can get involved with - www.facebook.com/GTAcademyForNewZealand

Nissan
Website NZ - http://www.nissan.co.nz/insidenissan/contact/
Facebook NZ - www.facebook.com/NissanNZ
Twitter NZ - www.twitter.com/NissanNZ

PlayStation/Sony Computer Entertainment
Facebook NZ - www.facebook.com/PlaystationNZ
Twitter NZ - www.twitter.com/PlayStationEU

Let's get onto it guys and girls! We can will this competition to make a return in 2013! P.S. - Feedback on how we can go about this better is more than welcome.

All the best,
Luis

Last edited:
I would put something like "Unofficial" or "Bring it back to NZ" in the title as it's currently kind of misleading, but other than that - good luck! 👍

I would put something like "Unofficial" or "Bring it back to NZ" in the title as it's currently kind of misleading, but other than that - good luck! 👍

A little bit of provocative marketing isn't a bad thing :sly:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but when I saw this on the U.S./British Gran Turismo website it felt like the rest of the world are giving New Zealand a big hint that Nissan and Sony should definitely bring the competition back here :D

17767_528103780573659_7056197_n.jpg

Thanks to everyone who's liked the facebook petition page from GTPlanet so far. We are at a solid 41 likes (:lol:) but we can't rest on our laurels so keep it up kiwis!

Well it looks like we're going to be missing out on the GT6 / GT Academy Demo party that the U.S.A. and Greater Europe will be having next week - https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-academy-2013-dates-regions-details-announced/

Naturally I promptly expressed my disappointment in the Nissan and PlayStation NZ facebook pages:

https://www.facebook.com/NissanNZ/posts/564251790292191

https://www.facebook.com/PlayStationNZ/posts/10151446110486046

1044416_564271470290223_1418137041_n.jpg

I can't assume it will do you Kiwis (and Aussies) any harm if you do the same. Just look at what happened to Microsoft with the XBOX One after E3.

Last edited:
You could make a european PSN account and call it something like 'Bring_It_To_NZ' and run that in the academy, I think you would be able to download the demo from the europe PSN store that way, and it may turn a few heads at Nissan if you were near the top of the rankings 👍

You have got to understand that GT Academy is a marketing exercise for Nissan, so your passion and interest means very little in the grander scheme of things. I know it must suck, especially since you want the chance to compete so badly, but there's absolutely nothing you can do that will change what territories they include.

I hope you get your chance some day, or in a similar competition as it's clear you are really motivated to succeed - so until then, keep practicing, stay fit and you never know what opportunity will come in the future.

You could make a european PSN account and call it something like 'Bring_It_To_NZ' and run that in the academy, I think you would be able to download the demo from the europe PSN store that way, and it may turn a few heads at Nissan if you were near the top of the rankings 👍

For sure I could look into doing that. They had Let_Canada_In do well in the US rankings over the past two years iirc but it doesn't seem like there's been any considerable effect over there (although circumstances do look a little different with the laws and red-tape as far as I know).

You have got to understand that GT Academy is a marketing exercise for Nissan, so your passion and interest means very little in the grander scheme of things. I know it must suck, especially since you want the chance to compete so badly, but there's absolutely nothing you can do that will change what territories they include.

I hope you get your chance some day, or in a similar competition as it's clear you are really motivated to succeed - so until then, keep practicing, stay fit and you never know what opportunity will come in the future.

Likewise with you Des :). Great seeing the snaps from your work at Le Mans btw 👍

I understand very well that GT Academy is a marketing exercise for Nissan but in the end of the day they still need people to buy their products. They currently seem to be happy with how they're trying to sell their products but I just feel that having the contest here is a hell of a lot better, more engaging and more memorable than a TV advert or a billboard will ever be.

As for the passion and interest in the competition...one person may not be worth looking at in the grand scheme of things...but look at what happened to Microsoft with the new XBOX after E3 :sly:

******** not coming hear again. Why make euro psn not like can win. More just push someone else out . Was looking forward to gt academy and gt6 but to be honest loosing interest in. Gran turismo series its like they throw gt4 into gt5 with few changes and prob throw gt5 into gt6 with few changes and we just end up with pretty much the same crap

Geez cant even update b spec bob u spun push start he drives straight into wall and wheel spins 5 sec later he might try hitting reverse to get back to the track.

Canadians are just a border away from the states and we can't participate. That's not right also.

If we can get more NZ'ers in the top 50 internationally at this competition maybe they'd reconsider???? Just a thought.. but I still like the competitive aspect of this competition, it much more involved (emotionally and physically) than just a simple time trial event on gt5...

just my 2c :)

Maybe title should be changed to "Aus/NZ"?

Anyway, here's something you can use for traction on the concept of a future GT Academy down under:
UFa94Yo.png

http://youtu.be/ynlZBLAC-pU

Thanks for the tip Wardez.

Talked to my brother about this just before and it's still 50-50 as to whether or not New Zealand will be part of this because in essence New Zealand is to Australia what Ireland is to the United Kingdom and Ireland was left out this year.

But we'll take what we can. Better to have a 50% chance than none at all of it heading back here 👍

Maybe title should be changed to "Aus/NZ"?

Anyway, here's something you can use for traction on the concept of a future GT Academy down under:
UFa94Yo.png

http://youtu.be/ynlZBLAC-pU

I was about to post this! haha.

Yeah wasn't the response i was expecting from Lucas, it was even better!

Now just need to find out when. Hopefully next year, it will be something to do with Kelly Racing and Nissan Aus.

Could be sometime very soon...

If I was an Oz/NZ GT Academy hopeful I'd start training now.

NISSAN DRIVER ACADEMY SET FOR AUSTRALIA

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/10/24/nissan-driver-academy-set-australia/
Nissan plans to develop future Altima V8 Supercars drivers in-house by introducing its video game based driver academy to Australia.The scheme, which already operates in Europe, the USA, Germany, Russia and the Middle East/South Africa, sees Sony Playstation users compete for the chance to move into real-world racing.First run in 2008,*the Academy’s star pupil is Spaniard Lucas Ordonez, who took time out from his international GT and sportscar racing schedule to test an Altima V8 Supercar at Winton this August.“It’s on the radar and the local guys are very keen to do it,” Nissan’s global motorsport director Darren Cox told Speedcafe.com of introducing the Academy to Australia.“I would say that in the next two cycles of the academy, so in the next 18 months, you’ll find that there’ll be an Australian version of it.”Cox added that, like the existing programs, an Australian example would see successful participants serve a “racing apprenticeship” in European GT competition before returning to compete in their home country.Producing graduates who could race in the Pirtek Enduo Cup and eventually as full-time V8 Supercars drivers is the ultimate goal.“The ladder system is difficult in Australia when you look at the championships you have and what is the best way to go,” he said.
In addition to the driver Academy, Nissan is charging ahead with its ‘global driver exchange’, which sees its stars sent around the globe, mainly for one-off racing appearances.Rick Kelly is already confirmed to take part in Nismo’s factory GT-R assault on next year’s Bathurst 12 Hour, where he’ll likely be partnered by Ordonez and an amateur-level Japanese driver.The concept is also expected to see a Nissan V8 Supercars driver invited to join Nismo at this year’s Spa 24 Hours, while Cox is pushing to have Todd Kelly race internationally as soon as January.“I’ve already spoken to Todd about coming over for the Dubai 24 Hours,” he said.“We’ve got two Zs (Nissan 370Zs) entered for the new (Academy) winners as part of our training program and we want international drivers, so if Todd wants to come to the Middle East in January then he can do so.“I’d like to get James Moffat over sooner rather than later as well. I think he’s a good young talent that will adapt well to international racing.”In exchange, Cox promises there will be visiting drivers in next year’s Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000, either as a one-off wildcard or as part of the team’s regular co-driver line-up

Good good news for us folk in the down and under!

Ahem, if this doesnt guarantee the Altima is in GT6 at release, I dont know what will.

Last edited:
haha, marketing at its best!

I was just going to wait and see what the verdict was on here before I bought it, but I'll get it straight away if the academy happens. I'll probably be really slow but you got to be in it to win it!

Im already starting to work on fitness knowing its in the works in the next 18 months, pretty confident I can make the finals how I amm right now but im probably a good 10kg overweight and have zero racing experience, but im planning a few track days with Formula fords and Porsche cup cars next year in preperation.

Warrior 2167 is likely to be the benchmark for Australia and im racing him every weekend getting closer every couple of months atleast qualifying wise, I know I can do this, its all about giving your self every advantage possible to win and for aussies it starts now.

Last edited:
Warrior 2167 is likely to be the benchmark for Australia and im racing him every weekend getting closer every couple of months atleast qualifying wise, I know I can do this, its all about giving your self every advantage possible to win and for aussies it starts now.

Here's a few more benchmarks based off GT5 time trials http://www.mygranturismo.net/rankings.php?countryscore=au

Looks like a couple from NZ would also be competitive.

Here's a few more benchmarks based off GT5 time trials http://www.mygranturismo.net/rankings.php?countryscore=au

Looks like a couple from NZ would also be competitive.

probably not the best bench mark as it depends on the top guys to do there best on all the time trials they do, Adam_2167 is no where to be found there and he came 2nd of the Aussies in Gt academy this year.

I know i mostly i have used the time trials to make money to buy cars and on occasion try to get a good time.

Warrior is a good friend of mine. He and Adam2167 look like they're gonna do really well. But you also can't count out some of the iRacing Aussies like Madison Down (GTP_mad94d)

Back