2014 Pirelli Hungarian Grand Prix

United Kingdom
YorkshireLand
SVTlover
Rosberg became the first German to win the German GP in a German car in F1 last weekend at Hockenheim which extended his lead in the championship, his teammate drove a stormer to finish 3rd after starting 20th. Further down the field, Alonso, Vettel and Ricciardo provided the most entertainment on track and will surely be the talk of the paddock this weekend. Now we head into the final race before F1 has it's summer break. It's a track where Lewis has won at more than any other current driver on the grid. But of course, records like that mean absolutely nothing when it comes to racing. Here is the 2014 Pirelli Hungarian Grand Prix

hungaroring_circuit02.jpg

Event Date: 25-27 July 2014
Circuit length: 4.381 km (2.722 mi)
Laps: 70
Lap Record: 1:19.071, Michael Schumacher, 2004

2013 Results

1) L. Hamilton (Mercedes)
2) K. Raikkonen (Lotus)
3) S. Vettel (Red Bull)

Last edited:
If nothing goes wrong for Lewis it should be quite an easy win for him, the last 2 years there he's had the 2nd/3rd best car in race pace terms but he won both and I think Nico retired from 9th last year.

You're not making this easy for Hamilton. Everyone, including himself I think, expects him to win every race. That takes a lot of pressure from Rosberg, and adds a lot on Ham.

Ham will only be relaxed while doing his best the day he realizes that Rosberg is a formidable opponent. As it is, he apparently thinks he should be dominating his team mate, like Vettel did on Webber. Since he isnt, and wasn't even during those 4 successive wins, the pressure keeps him stressed.

You're not making this easy for Hamilton. Everyone, including himself I think, expects him to win every race. That takes a lot of pressure from Rosberg, and adds a lot on Ham.

Ham will only be relaxed while doing his best the day he realizes that Rosberg is a formidable opponent. As it is, he apparently thinks he should be dominating his team mate, like Vettel did on Webber. Since he isnt, and wasn't even during those 4 successive wins, the pressure keeps him stressed.

At no other circuit would it be as expected as it is here though... He even managed to win the race in his 2009 McLaren! His Facebook post on Sunday showed to me that he won't be putting too much pressure on himself, but he knows that he is favourite here... I'd see it as a positive really.

Will be hard watching this race on TV - I was there only last year :( I'm desperate to go to another race!

The only other race people expect him to win and he didn't was Canada (knock on wood), but his wins here have been much better than any win he's had at Canada. And really this is the track you'd expect to see him win at as everyone would have said after Australia or Malaysia knowing the pace of their Mercedes.

I dunno why but I can remember 2008 like the back of my hand by the last five years have been a complete blur. I can hardly remember half of this year's races.

I dunno why but I can remember 2008 like the back of my hand by the last five years have been a complete blur. I can hardly remember half of this year's races.

I have a similar thing. I have missed a handful of races over the last 20 years or so, but when watching reruns on Sky, I can't remember any of the events. Football, Cricket, even Darts highlights/reruns are clear as day, but not F1.

Unlikely: Rosberg and Hamilton take each other out while battling for the lead late in the race, handing the victory to either Valteri Bottas, Alonso, or Daniel Ricciardo. :crazy:

Likely: Another Mercedes snoozefest. :indiff:

For Sky Sports customers, here are the classic races leading up to this weekend's race;

Thursday - 1997
Friday - 2013
Saturday - 1998
Sunday - 2014 & 1990

I will now put this into the OP for future races.

Unlikely: Rosberg and Hamilton take each other out while battling for the lead late in the race, handing the victory to either Valteri Bottas, Alonso, or Daniel Ricciardo. :crazy:

Likely: Another Mercedes snoozefest. :indiff:

You know, there is more to racing than P1, although that is the ultimate goal :) There has been some of the best racing I have seen in about a decade for positions 3-10 this year. It sure beats the Vettle win by 30+ seconds snooze fests we have had the past 4 years 👍

Hear hear. We have an exciting midfield now, what with Alonso, Vettel, Kimi, Button, Ricciardo, Bottas, Massa (if he outlasts corner 1 and survives Perez), Hulk, Perez, KMag

As it is, he apparently thinks he should be dominating his team mate, like Vettel did on Webber. Since he isnt, and wasn't even during those 4 successive wins, the pressure keeps him stressed.

You're right, he should be concentrating on beating the fastest driver in the pack who isn't himself.

Not sure who that is, I imagine they'll be in one of the Werx Mercs though?

^^^^ How did you do that ?!?!?! :lol:

EDIT - Anyway, since the quote is taken from a post I wrote, I'll reply: it's one thing to be happy to beat your team mate. It's a different thing when you take that for granted and need to blame ............. (take your pick) if he beats you or, and this has happened before, if yuo beat him by a very, VERY close margin.

I remember Hamilton, after his second victory (if my memory isn't failing me) saying he needed to win by a greater margin. What?

Spa 2008 is probably still the best race for me in recent times.

I think 2008 is my favourite year, partly because I watched it all but mostly because every race seemed to count for something that year.
2012 might have come close, especially at the start of the year, but it gradually dried out towards the end. I will say '09 felt the most surreal though, which in many ways it was.

'08 had lots of rain, it's no surprise to me that most of the best races that year were the wet ones. Sine then rain has been comparatively rare. It's either been so heavy they have to stop the race or it happens after the race. Several times in '08 the rain hit during the race, right where you want it. '09 was odd because all the cars looked weird,the grid was turned on it's head, and none of the teams really got their heads around the new rules other than Brawn and Red Bull. Since then we've had four very similar seasons with unchanged teams, virtually unchanged race calendars and cars that look more or less the same as their predecessors and perform more or less the same each year, only this have things really started getting mixed up with Mercedes on top, Williams slowly returning to former glory, and Marussia finally getting some damn points!

Last edited:
^^^^ How did you do that ?!?!?! :lol:

EDIT - Anyway, since the quote is taken from a post I wrote, I'll reply: it's one thing to be happy to beat your team mate. It's a different thing when you take that for granted and need to blame ............. (take your pick) if he beats you or, and this has happened before, if yuo beat him by a very, VERY close margin.

I remember Hamilton, after his second victory (if my memory isn't failing me) saying he needed to win by a greater margin. What?

No idea, something went very wrong! I've notice that if you have a quote in the chatbox already (but you didn't reply) it messes up the quote links sometimes.

In Hamilton's case there's no one else but Rosberg to beat in an even fight. He needs to beat him by the greatest margin possible. Those things seem pretty obvious and you could say them about either driver from any team who clearly lead the pace in any given year.

I think Hamilton's taken blame where it's due as have the team.

Silverstone 2008 was another memorable race.

2010 Abu Dhabi final race was great spectacle due to the number of drivers who could win the championship. Vettel won and poor Alonso was stuck behind Petrov waving away.

What was the race Mark Webber won where he came back to win despite having a drive through? Searching comes up with 2009 at Nurburgring. I seem to remember him coming back through more adversity like a broken wing or flat tyre as well but can't see any reference.

Last edited:
Silverstone 2008 was another memorable race.

2010 Abu Dhabi final race was great spectacle due to the number of drivers who could win the championship. Vettel won and poor Alonso was stuck behind Petrov waving away.

What was the race Mark Webber won where he came back to win despite having a drive through? Searching comes up with 2009 at Nurburgring. I seem to remember him coming back through more adversity like a broken wing or flat tyre as well but can't see any reference.

I've been saying it for 3.5 years and I'll say it again. It's Alonso's problem for not being able to get past. :D

Wow, your question made me curious so here's a little summary :) The only really busy race win for Webber was indeed the German GP in 2009.

2009 Webber had a habit of winning races in which he hit another driver... Nurburgring, he hit Rubens as well as a collision with Lewis (pole - drive through - win). Brazil, he shut the door on Kimi, breaking the Finn's front wing (2nd - win).

2010 on was mostly straightforward wins: Spain (pole - win), Monaco (pole - win), Silverstone (2nd - "not bad for a number 2 driver" win), Hungary (2nd - easy win after Vettel penalty). 2011 he only won in Brazil, starting from 2nd and Vettel had gearbox trouble. 2012 he won from pole at Monaco again, then he won at Silverstone from 2nd on the grid basically by DRSing past Alonso near the end.

Back