2014 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 1,519 comments
And the Aussie public cheering for Vettle failing is pretty frustranting as well. Imagine that in every single track. I agree with @ITCC_Andrew.
I can understand Aussies booing Seb what with his relationship and past dealings with Mark Webber.

I can't understand him being booed by virtually everyone else though. It's infantile and incredibly disrespectful. If you don't like someone is it really necessary to constantly make that known? Just cheer louder if and when someone else wins and don't cheer at all when he does. Simple.

Nah not really. As a Lotus fan I have to say they pretty rubbish and can't finish a damn race. Our commentators were saying that was an actual race simulation for the Lotus. But Red Bull won't be at the top of their game this year.

Another thing that really bothered me was the fact we can't get rid of the german national anthem somehow. Vettel was out but we other leading the race like it was him. I just hope it won't be like this for the rest of the season

1: :grumpy:

2: Germany has excellent drivers.

Which I also don't understand. Sure, he wins a lot, but so did Schumacher. I don't recall Schumacher being boo'd.
Do people honestly think that Red Bull is a better team? At this stage, they're almost worse-off than Lotus. :lol:
Micheal was booed frequently depending on the track, Ferrari always have a battalion of tifosi to try and drown out some of it though. Remember the crash he had at Silverstone in 97(96? I forget) that ended up taking him out for the rest of the season. When he first went into the barrier the crowd was cheering like a Brit had just won. It stopped quick as soon as people realised how bad it was though.

I can understand Aussies booing Seb what with his relationship and past dealings with Mark Webber.

I can't understand him being booed by virtually everyone else though. It's infantile and incredibly disrespectful. If you don't like someone is it really necessary to constantly make that known? Just cheer louder if and when someone else wins and don't cheer at all when he does. Simple.

Last season happened once or twice. I have no surprise if people do the same all around the world.

I agree Germany has pretty good drivers, but a change wouldn't hurt a bit.

------------

About Riccardo I know where did they fed the engine with more fuel. Noticed where Magnussen was getting really close to Ricciardo and somehow he could get away with ease when he was about to be overtaked? Somehow Red Bull could control the amout of fuel going in and that way when it was needed to get away.

Every racing series on Earth has drivers and teams slowing down to save fuel, tires and engines. Except perhaps pro-drag racing, where they only have to race a few seconds at a time and can rebuild motors every few passes.

Not if you value your hearing.

Granted, unless you like vacuum cleaners... :lol:

Not if you're Mercedes, Williams or Red Bull. You know what they say about fast cars? They're usually pretty. Which means life sucks if you're Lotus.

Nearly half the field wiped out, dozens of overtakes, the drivers fighting for traction on every single lap... on-track castration, anal penetration and Finn abuse... that was boring?

There's a reason Fernando Alonso gets paid more than either of us. And it's not because of his ego.

No, that would be Lotus' twitter feed.

No. Not really.
mistake, would write nose instead of noise :sly:
i m used to hear V10 and V8, strident humming noise
Renault noise sound look acceptable to hear, but neither Mercedes nor Ferrari produces great car racing sound
of course design is pretty much a matter of personal preference, but all those 2014 design looks particularly ugly
i am not criticizing either drivers or teams but toward FIA that made craps rules
- doubled points for the end of season, what a morons, it might help RB and Vettel at the end :banghead:
- F1 has too many electronic systems and artificial stuffs for the tv shows such as DRS, KERS
- rules make F1 races very difficult for novice to understand, people who want to see drivers attacking over limits and not saving fuel/tyres/motor in an extreme way
- FIA is ruled by environment movement, its only about appearance, each GP costs more energy and pollute more than V6 engine motor
FIA, stop hypocrisies, if you want save environment dont built circuits from nowhere and destroyed an half of environment ecology (Singapour is perfect example of wasted energy just for the F1 show) or let manufacturer throwing money out of the window for building new engine motor

I don't recall Schumacher being boo'd.

Admittedly, hard to find footage nowadays, since his career started long before Youtube, but trust me, a lot of people hated Schumacher in his heyday. A lot still do, but won't say anything in deference to his condition.

Singapour is perfect example of wasted energy just for the F1 show

While I agree it's rather pointless to limit in-race fuel in light of the massive spending on transportation that F1 does, note that the Singapore circuit is a poor example of waste, since it's a temporary street circuit, for one, and for another, the Singapore GP is used as a booster for tourism, with knock-on benefits in terms of tourist money coming in. And without Singapore having to build any track at all. All they've had to do is find a place to store all the stuff when the race isn't in town.

-

And while limiting fuel in-race is pointless from a logistical point of view, it makes good business sense to lower the cost for all the teams on race day by limiting engines, tires and fuel... the longer you can make everything go, the less material waste you produce.

-

There is no such thing as "artificial" or "natural" technology. There is just technology. As long as the drivers don't have ABS, traction control and stability control, by all means, give them more confusing and difficult toys to play with. It adds to the difficulty and the skill required to master these cars.

mistake, would write nose instead of noise :sly:
i m used to hear V10 and V8, strident humming noise
Renault noise sound look acceptable to hear, but neither Mercedes nor Ferrari produces great car racing sound
of course design is pretty much a matter of personal preference, but all those 2014 design looks particularly ugly
i am not criticizing either drivers or teams but toward FIA that made craps rules
- doubled points for the end of season, what a morons, it might help RB and Vettel at the end :banghead:
- F1 has too many electronic systems and artificial stuffs for the tv shows such as DRS, KERS
- rules make F1 races very difficult for novice to understand, people who want to see drivers attacking over limits and not saving fuel/tyres/motor in an extreme way
- FIA is ruled by environment movement, its only about appearance, each GP costs more energy and pollute more than V6 engine motor
FIA, stop hypocrisies, if you want save environment dont built circuits from nowhere and destroyed an half of environment ecology (Singapour is perfect example of wasted energy just for the F1 show) or let manufacturer throwing money out of the window for building new engine motor

This new noise coming from the power units is awesome in my opinion, it's a lot more nuanced and it just sounds like technology. Even the silence provides for compensation because now we can hear the tires more, the crowd, stuff in the pit lane, it's pretty interesting. Overall I don't regard it as good as a screaming V10, because to me that's just an epic noise, but the new V6 turbo sound is more interesting when all things are considered.

While I agree it's rather pointless to limit in-race fuel in light of the massive spending on transportation that F1 does, note that the Singapore circuit is a poor example of waste, since it's a temporary street circuit, for one, and for another, the Singapore GP is used as a booster for tourism, with knock-on benefits in terms of tourist money coming in. And without Singapore having to build any track at all. All they've had to do is find a place to store all the stuff when the race isn't in town.

-

And while limiting fuel in-race is pointless from a logistical point of view, it makes good business sense to lower the cost for all the teams on race day by limiting engines, tires and fuel... the longer you can make everything go, the less material waste you produce.

-

F1 isn't trying to be green, all they want to do is be more relevant to current automotive technology trends. And you could argue they helped influence an upshift in with KERS in 2009. Because before, hybrids were only seen as econoboxes but now sportscars and supercars are picking up the tech left and right, let alone all the different series looking at it or have already adopted it (WEC). But anway, that was the thing, attract more people and industry to F1 by showing what's possible with these types of engine and recovery system solutions. That's what got Honda looking at F1 again and the bait worked as they're returning next year as an engine supplier, other manufacturers are now looking much more closely at F1 again as well.

So waste doesn't matter, it is more about cost cutting, but the only real hypocrites end up being the teams themselves, because they're not told how to spend their money outside of the regulated racing matters. The money spent at the GPs themselves is a whole different thing, of course it's going to be lavish, hedonistic and wasteful, that's how it's always been and that's how any event with a guestlist that prestigious and rich will go down.

Again, the teams contradict the cost cutting measures that are supposed to help them by doing things like insisting on 5-star hotels and other amenities they really don't need to have, living beyond their means so to speak. The backmarker teams with hardly any budget are especially guilty of this. They will stop at nothing to keep the exclusive and important air about them, when they have no right to. It's peer pressure in a way, like if the neighbor buys a new car, suddenly the other guy will feel the need to buy one.

Last season happened once or twice. I have no surprise if people do the same all around the world.
Indeed. I still don't think booing the man when he does his post race podium interview for example is needed, like has happened before, but sadly booing will always happen in sport. If I recall I think the only place Seb wasn't booed last season was in Japan, which is worth noting I feel. Gotta love the respect shown from them.
There is no such thing as "artificial" or "natural" technology. There is just technology. As long as the drivers don't have ABS, traction control and stability control, by all means, give them more confusing and difficult toys to play with. It adds to the difficulty and the skill required to master these cars.
Makes me think of the segment BBC filmed with Sir Stirling Moss and Lewis Hamilton. When they had a look at each other's steering wheels and Moss's was just a simple wooden ring with some spokes whereas Hamilton's was like a control panel in a power station or something.

In Moss's day they just had to drive quick, manage fuel and tyres and try not to die!

These days they have to do the same thing with the added distraction of all the electronic gizmos. Surely that's more difficult.

Admittedly, hard to find footage nowadays, since his career started long before Youtube, but trust me, a lot of people hated Schumacher in his heyday. A lot still do, but won't say anything in deference to his condition.

I myself did, because of his overshadowing of Barrichello. And because he tried to squish him on Hungary 2010.

F1 isn't trying to be green, all they want to do is be more relevant to current automotive technology trends.

Considering green is an automotive technology trend... :lol: ...I felt that KERS had a very, very nebulous relation to road-going cars, though it is related, somewhat, to current hybrids and mild hybrids, the primary proponents of such systems in real life are nowhere to be seen in F1.

I'm happy that it's starting to see some trickle-down into road cars, if only just in terms of terminology... :lol: ...though apparently

But you are right in that it makes F1 more attractive to those proponents, and I will be glad to see Honda return.

The new ERS, with turbo energy recovery and electric anti-lag, is pretty relevant, and this is something that could and should trickle down to road cars. If only because it's so damn cool.

Let me give the perfect example of the noise concern. I have posted before about bringing my daughter to every grand prix from when she was in the womb, until this weekend at 2years old (she will be 3 in April).
We always put on the baby soundproof headphones her first year and then the AGP broadcast headphones last year.
The F18 Hornet makes her cover her head so she doesnt have to see or hear it.
She loves helcopters as they arent as loud.
When the speed comparison of the RB9, RBRA V8, and C63 went by us. She got jolted by the RB9!
She's at the stage where she knows what upsets her. When the new F1 cars drove around for the warm up, she couldnt figure it out initially. She saw the car and wanted to hide but, it wasnt as loud.
When the race began, as the cars ran through turns 13 & 14, she got excited. For the whole race she was dancing, smiling and genuinely enjoying the race! She didnt use the earplugs.

There were enough children around us that could hear and see the cars and enjoy them with no discomfort. And could talk to their parents. This is good for the future generation of F1 fans.

1: It's true

2: It's a meaningless generalisation

Back to Ricciardo, my instinct is that he'll be reinstated, much as I'd like IRBR to fail :D

The stewards have no choice but to act on the data they see before them, any appeal will go to the FIA as it should do.

I like no-refueling, it takes an easy way out for a lot of teams (If you run out of fuel just coast and pit) and throws a wrench into strategy

Ok so did F1 employ Kaz to tune the sound of the new cars coz they sure as hell sound like knackered diesels :indiff:

Thats exactly what I was thinking when watching the race today, there's no way around it.... the cars sound crap. As you said they have a Diesel kinda noise and they are so damn quiet you can hear the crowd really easily which is not a good thing.

The whole drive to make F1 clean and green is stupid, no one is watching motorsport expecting eco friendliness. This sport should be the pinnacle of power and speed. Bring back the V10's!

Considering green is an automotive technology trend... :lol: ...I felt that KERS had a very, very nebulous relation to road-going cars, though it is related, somewhat, to current hybrids and mild hybrids, the primary proponents of such systems in real life are nowhere to be seen in F1.

I'm happy that it's starting to see some trickle-down into road cars, if only just in terms of terminology... :lol: ...though apparently

But you are right in that it makes F1 more attractive to those proponents, and I will be glad to see Honda return.

The new ERS, with turbo energy recovery and electric anti-lag, is pretty relevant, and this is something that could and should trickle down to road cars. If only because it's so damn cool.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, automotive industry is trying to make more efficient products so people feel like they're getting more for their money and they tack on green initiatives as well, since it's more marketable and makes people feel better. But F1's not concerned with that aspect, they just wanted to push a new frontier of development that related directly to what the manufacturers were doing.
KERS definitely wasn't much of a thing back when it debuted, but it certainly did turn heads in the automotive world and got people looking at it more. Projects like Williams' flywheel KERS helped get things going faster (which Porsche used in some road cars).

And I'm not saying that what happens in F1 directly leads down to designs appearing on auto designers' desks, just that it seems to drive those road car designers to do more. Not just in terminology but in the sense that they've seen proof of concepts, so they're a lot more willing to dive into new areas of progress.

Definitely, the F1 power unit configuration is a marvel and I think a lot of performance car makers and tuners are going to start leaning toward similar solutions in the near future, pretty exciting.

ye F1 directly leads toward our road car improvements
but within near future for expensive cars only, you will never find such technology on common car
hybrid engine motor and full of newest technology on cars under 10 000$?
pure dream

Thats exactly what I was thinking when watching the race today, there's no way around it.... the cars sound crap. As you said they have a Diesel kinda noise and they are so damn quiet you can hear the crowd really easily which is not a good thing.

The whole drive to make F1 clean and green is stupid, no one is watching motorsport expecting eco friendliness. This sport should be the pinnacle of power and speed. Bring back the V10's!
There is a way around it, they sound very impressive, though very different, yes. That V12/V10 scream will always have a special place in my heart as being the backdrop to sunny sunday afternoons sat in the conservatory watching the racing.

Being able to hear the crowd is a good thing, as is being able to hear the way the cars bottom out in the compression areas, the way the ERS winds up when they are braking, the turbo spooling, tyre stress, etc etc. This all gives you loads of information as a viewer you just weren't able to pick up in real time before, enabling you to better know what is going on with the car.

The part of me that wants it to be 1994 again hates these new engines. But the part of me that actually thinks and is around to watch the F1 of right now says they are fantastic.

Back to Ricciardo, my instinct is that he'll be reinstated, much as I'd like IRBR to fail :D

The stewards have no choice but to act on the data they see before them, any appeal will go to the FIA as it should do.

Super unlikely. The FIA always back the stewards.

Ok so did F1 employ Kaz to tune the sound of the new cars coz they sure as hell sound like knackered diesels :indiff:

Breaking News, F1's will be in Gran Turismo

Poliphony Digital:
If we can't make good sound we make real F1's sound like vacuum cleaner. Problem solved.

Really? :rolleyes:

Nice to see Red Bull get hoisted by their own petard, even if it came at the expense of Ricciardo's podium. I see they are already muddying the waters by claiming the fuel flow was always legal, but that Racing Engineering article posted a few pages ago makes it clear that the issue was their decision to stop using the sensor without permission.

I'll just say the cars are ****ing piles of **** they need to be scrapped like the rules ..

I spent most of the time trying to hear the cars through my surround sound system and was not amused. F1 is now trash can't wait till they see sense and change the rules again.

Wish there was a blue rays with older season available I'd snap them up

Back