2014 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Cap'n Jack, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Grayfox

Grayfox

I like the deeper throater sound of the cars.

Sure they could be about 10 or 20db louder.

It is better than the Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    squeaker scream.

Mr_X, R0ssingt0n, G.T.Ace and 4 others like this.
  2. prisonermonkeys

prisonermonkeys Premium

Just saw part of an interview with Christian Horner on the late news. He claims that other teams were having issues with the sensors, which we already knew, but said that they "must have" turned them off.

The obvious problem with this statement is that the FIA was able to monitor Ricciardo's fuel consumption in real time. And so it stands to reason that they could monitor anyone's fuel consumption like that. Which means that they would have noticed it if anyone had turned their sensors off. Assuming for the moment that someone else did just that, then why didn't the FIA disqualify them, too?

Simple answer: the FIA didn't disqualify anyone else because nobody else did it.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  3. Grayfox

Grayfox

Or if they disabled the fuel sensors which is similar to using another sensor they would have to disqualify them too
    And I cant see the FIA doing that to all 22 drivers.

4. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne

It's because of the dangers of cars over-harvesting, the fuel flow stops cars from dumping loads of fuel straight into harvesting and forces them to run at a minimum efficiency at all times. It's an important rule to stop all the teams running weird optimum laps that favour recovery.

5. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

The answer to that (and a load more info) can be found here:
    http://www.racecar-engineering.com/...+2014+Editorial&dm_i=6NM,2A2SP,6QJ8V9,89E7R,1

Other teams may have stopped using the sensor during the race, but with FIA approval and it would appear that RB were given all the required info regarding the flow rate and how to correct for it by the FIA during the race. They then chose to ignore it and use calculations of there own; and lets be honest ignoring the instructions of an FIA tech representative on how to correct for a faulty sensor is pretty much asking to be DQ'd.

LMSCorvetteGT2 and niky like this.
  6. MUSC4EVER

MUSC4EVER

I think we need to stop talking about the noise and the noses now, they are here to stay for this season at least so I think we need to get used to it...

7. Tired Tyres

Tired Tyres

The noses will change. The way Kobayashi's Caterham went under Massa's Williams in the first corner crash shows that.

8. daan

daan Moderator

It looked nicer afterwards too.

TheEnd35000vr and HKS racer like this.
  9. 05XR8

05XR8

Some workmates of mine were sooking about the sounds. Saying they killed F1. People are missing the point. People I have talked to in my neighborhood, are looking forward to when F1 leaves Melbourne. They hate it. They hate the 2 weeks it takes to construct the circuit. Then, the time to deconstruct because, they can't cut through the park as a shortcut to work! People that I know who have lived in the area say it was okay the first couple of years it returned to Albert Park. Now, it's a nuisance.

The only thing fans of F1 may be getting cheated out of is, racing flat out. from the stands, I couldnt tell if anyone was holding back. I saw passes being made. Jockeying for position

As for the cars, I remember it being said the cars may have artificial sound to make the cars louder. Since the cars are being improved each race, just experiment with the mufflers. If a stock '82 RX7 can go from hush quiet, to sounding like a hornets nest after a new owner puts a bazooka out back, it can be done by F1.

My last comment regarding the AGP. Instead of event organisers complaining and trying to find breaches in contracts, be careful. Bernie could easily not renew holding the event here as next year the contract is up. The new F4 category, shifter carts, Touring Car Masters, even having Superbikes should be at this event. It would add more to the on track action than slight of hand with the air show.

10. HKS racer

HKS racer (Banned)

Which mean Horner and Redbull are talking out of their arse.
    Once again.

I'm also very curious to see what FIA would do when they are running for the championship on last race.
    2012 Brazil yellow flags ehm ehm.

This sport need fair judgment.

LMSCorvetteGT2 likes this.
  11. ultimate

ultimate

the main reason is RB never followed FIA instructions and these last seasons, over their dominance, they often make criticisms toward FIA, wheel manufacturer...
    pretty arrogant behavior.
    people on the paddock could confirm how arrogant they looks to be
    at their beginning, they have been considered as cool and funny team, very similar to Lotus team and when they started to win and dominate F1 scene, they turned into most arrogant team ever seen, even more then Ferrari from 2000 to 2004
    i m Ferrari fan btw and everyone agrees they deserved to be disqualified
    and in my opinion Vettel in 2012 must take a penalty for not being slower with yellow flags area

HKS racer likes this.
  12. HKS racer

HKS racer (Banned)

The thing is you don't need to be a Ferrari fan to admit Vettel should have taken a penalty for overtaking while on yellow flags. Everyone with a little bit of fairness should have said so.

13. OutlawQuadrnt

OutlawQuadrnt

What befuddles me is that Indy Car also uses turbo V6's and they sound like this.

Compared to:

I don't know about others but I prefer an Indy Car's note over F1 and to the latter, that's embarrassing to a series with much more people and resources.

14. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Well we can start with them being completely different engine specifications. 2.2 twin turbo V6 in Indy to the 1.6 single turbo V6. Other than that I couldn't say. Especially as F1 has a 15k rpm limit and Indy a 12k limit.

15. spyrrari

spyrrari

I was planning to go to at least 2 gp's this season....but after watching this video i am not so sure i want to...

:yuck:

Spy.

TheCadabers likes this.
  16. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Your loss I guess. look at everyone wearing ear defenders in 2013, probably muffled it to 2014 levels anyway.

Can people stop moaning about sound? If you want to complain about the sound make a thread so everyone else doesn't have to endure it.

17. spyrrari

spyrrari

Dont know if its only MY loss...i remember the first few gp's i went to long long ago, and hearing the v12 ferrari's for the first time,i remember to actually feel it in the stomack,in my feet cause the ground was shaking,i remember people around me jumping up and down because it whas the best thing they ever heard... etc etc...

And i am not moaning,just very dissapointed!

The positive side is how the cars handle(or less actually)and we see them move arround much more...so if they could somehow 'turn up the volume' i would be much more eager to go!!

Spy.

Jaywalker likes this.
  18. Turbo_snail

Turbo_snail

I actually like the new sounds, nice and throaty and that turbo whistle, very 80's.

LMSCorvetteGT2 and G.T.Ace like this.
  19. Dennisch

Dennisch Premium

But do they even reach that limit? I heard the Dutch commentator stating that they barely hit 12K.
    Is there data available that shows their rpm?

20. Barra333

Barra333 Premium

Yep - the Sport1 alternate feed has the onboard all race with telemetry- I dont recall seeing anything over 11,500rpm

Dennisch likes this.
  21. Imari

Imari

It's not that simple. Road cars have parts on them stock that are designed to reduce noise. F1 cars have no such parts to remove, they would be wasted weight. There's very little scope for removing noise reduction.

The quietness of the current cars comes from just how much energy the turbo is taking out of the exhaust. They can fiddle around with the exhaust configuration so that it sounds louder, but if the energy isn't there they can't make it actually BE louder.

And besides, no F1 team is going to make their exhaust in anything but the fastest configuration, regardless of sound. They don't care about what noise the car makes, they care about winning.

niky likes this.
  22. MagpieRacer

MagpieRacer Premium

Perhaps not. I was just going off the technical spec sheet.

23. GTPorsche

GTPorsche

The F1 V6 and Indycar V6 probably use different materials and setups.

Indycar also doesn't have any hybrid systems.

24. Northstar

Northstar Premium

I got to thinking more about the new sound of F1 and have realized it may actually be a very good thing for motorsports. It seems one of the main gripes people have about race tracks is the noise the cars put out so maybe having quieter cars will help lessen these complaints a little.

DK, TenEightyOne and MildAshers like this.
  25. Imari

Imari

Honestly, it was much nicer watching them. Back in the day if you didn't have earplugs in it was legitimately painful to listen to, and even with ear protection it was pretty harsh.

I watched the entire GP from the grandstand on Sunday, and at no point did I feel that I needed ear protection, nor was it uncomfortable without it. Some people still wore earplugs, but not everyone. As one of my friends remarked, "It's a shame they're not louder, but it's nice that my ears aren't bleeding".

They did have a demo each day with an RB7, so it's not like we didn't have anything to compare it to. That thing was crazy loud. You could hear it coming from the other side of the track.

The V8 Supercars and Carrera Cup cars were much, much louder than the F1s. Which is kind of wrong, but once you get over that it's really pleasant to be watching cars that aren't painfully loud.

26. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne

Not so simple because that presumes you measure sound through your ears all the time, an 'old' F1 exhaust percussed every part of your body. I haven't heard the new engines in real life but I'd love to.

The entire exhaust (as @prisonermonkeys implied) is entirely about function, no part of the car is there for the hell of it and each piece does what it does because that's the fastest way to do it. I saw a suggest that the FIA could issue 'tuned' exhaust tips (the easiest way to brrraaaarrrp an exhaust), that wouldn't work in the short term but maybe introduce them from next season.

Personally I think it is what it is, in 25 years time we'll wonder what we were all whinging about :D

@Justin, that's a good point... I know Brands has run-off issues too, but some of the track's problems are cause by noise limitation aren't they? This could be a great development across motorsport. I'm suddenly wondering what a series could get out of 900cc 3-pots :D

27. TheCadabers

TheCadabers

Wow! I was planning on going to my first Grand Prix this year, now I don't know what to expect.

:yuck:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  28. Grand Prix

Grand Prix Premium

Would certainly help Spa's future.

Although, it could also just make people look for some other reason to hate racing, :lol:

29. BlacqueJacques

BlacqueJacques

30. LMSCorvetteGT2

LMSCorvetteGT2

Where can I buy one of these V6t Lawnmowers churning out 600+ hp?

It's pretty simple to understand considering the indy formula is larger, in race trim goes 2000 revs higher, and doesn't have an ers system to run through that also muffles the noise more so than the turbo alone. Thus you get a sound in F1 that is deeper yet lower pitch and then you get to hear the waste gates more so under braking due to their higher let off pitch and so on. Due to the fuel restrictions and what not you have to understand that these cars aren't revving up to 15k as allowed, but more so 10k to 11k at max in a race.

Do you guys even turbo? :sly: That last bit is sarcasm

A race...

Yeah that was posted already, and to be honest I feel that has to do more with what happened to the home driver than anything else. Even though the FOM isn't responsible for it

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    MildAshers and Justin like this.