2014 Rolex Australian Grand Prix

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 1,519 comments
I enjoyed the race but not keen on the new sound of the power units, and I am not the only one:

"Australian Grand Prix organisers have complained to Formula One commercial supremo Bernie Ecclestone about the quieter V6-powered cars and say their reduced volume may have breached race contracts with Formula One management." (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-17/aussie-gp-boss-raps-ecclestone-about-quiet-cars/5326388)
Don't believe everything you read - that story comes from The Herald-Sun, who hate the Grand Prix, and lobby through the media for the race to be abandoned. No doubt they asked leading questions about the sound of the cars and the state of contract negotiations, and synthesised them into this piece of rubbish. The only reason why the ABC ran it is because they want to appease the Liberals - who have threatened reviews into their funding after the ran stories highly critical of one of the government's key policies - and The Herald-Sun has a Liberal bias.

prisonermonkeys
Don't believe everything you read - that story comes from The Herald-Sun, who hate the Grand Prix, and lobby through the media for the race to be abandoned. No doubt they asked leading questions about the sound of the cars and the state of contract negotiations, and synthesised them into this piece of rubbish. The only reason why the ABC ran it is because they want to appease the Liberals - who have threatened reviews into their funding after the ran stories highly critical of one of the government's key policies - and The Herald-Sun has a Liberal bias.

Sadly this so true The Herald-Sun have no ethics whatsoever and ABC are scared 🤬 of the Libs now. I doubt anyone who either attended or watched the race had a problem with it at all. I certainly didn't, it was one of the most exciting F1 races at the Park in ages !!!👍

From an engineering point of view, an unmuffled 1.6 liter motor spinning over 11,000 rpm and producing less noise than a road-going safety car would be a technical wonder.

Be interesting how quiet they could get if you allowed teams to scavenge all the energy possible out of the exhaust.

There's something to be said about the drama of a pack of thundering engines shaking the ground beneath you. We had Lotus bring a two-seater F1 car by last year, and the sound out of that motor when they were firing it up outside the hotel was awe-inspiring.

But sitting by the track and listening to a pack of those drone on for two hours would get old, quickly. At a lot of track events and autocrosses (here, running open headers isn't banned) are annoyingly dangerously loud, and it's hard to concentrate on the action with your fingers stuffed in your ears. Actually hearing the squeal when someone cocks up their braking zone and the cheer of the crowd when a crowd-favorite driver comes home certainly adds a new dimension to the spectacle.

Hopefully, next race, they'll rejigger the sound balance for broadcast.

I thought it was pretty farcical that Ricciardo was disqualified because the FIA has created a fuel regulation that they cannot measure properly. But it was a good race. The cars sounded fine as well.

Paul Stoddart has told The Sydney Morning Herald that Ricciardo will have his podium restored because he got no advantage from the fuel feed - but the sporting regulations say that if you are disqualified, "there was no advantage gained" is not acceptable as a defence.
I thought it was pretty farcical that Ricciardo was disqualified because the FIA has created a fuel regulation that they cannot measure properly.
That's not why he was disqualified. The FIA gave Red Bull instructions on how to adjust the sensor, but they chose to abandon it entirely, which is against the rules.

That's not why he was disqualified. The FIA gave Red Bull instructions on how to adjust the sensor, but they chose to abandon it entirely, which is against the rules.
That is true, but the problem started with faulty sensors, which RBR and FIA both agree on. If the sensor was working properly on Friday OR Saturday, this thread would be dead and we would be looking forward to Malaysia already.

If the sensor was working properly on Friday OR Saturday, this thread would be dead and we would be looking forward to Malaysia already.
If Red Bull had followed the rules and used the sensor instead of their own system without permission, this thread would be dead and we would be looking forward to Malaysia already.

This is not the FIA's fault. They were aware of the issue, and took steps to correct it. Red Bull chose to ignore the rules, and got disqualified for it.

If Red Bull had followed the rules and used the sensor instead of their own system without permission, this thread would be dead and we would be looking forward to Malaysia already.
They would have been quite happy to, if it worked. I assume that FIA are using flow data from the dodgy sensors, so we dont know for sure whether RBR are in breach of the fuel flow rule, or the 'we are the FIA and are always right' rule. Either way, RBR broke one or both of them.

The biggest losers out of this are the public and Dan Ricciardo - the two stakeholders least at fault.

1456642_10152292566791944_1485264536_n.jpg

sorry, folks. i just had to...

Does anyone know the appeal schedule? I would think there's enough technical evidence in existence for it to be heard quite quickly, and it would be a shame to still have an unconfirmed result at the next race.

I have not seen anything official - one of the GP officials said it could take weeks, but take that with a grain of salt. It could depend on whether it is being heard at FIA HQ or KL before the race weekend starts.

Bernie has been opposed to it since the very beginning.

There's not much that they could do, anyway. The teams would certainly oppose it if it meant a trade-off in performance.

RB requested further clarifications from FIA about flow sensor sensor
these dudes never stop, they won championship these four last years but they also won the whining price
you get caught, move on

RB requested further clarifications from FIA about flow sensor
Of course. Red Bull "requesting further clarification" is their way of trying to pressure the FIA into doing what they want. Remember Mercedes' double-DRS? Red Bull kept trying to bully the FIA into either banning the system or revealing technical secrets.

Where can I buy one of these V6t Lawnmowers churning out 600+ hp?

Slip me $50k & I'll hook you up...

Bernie is now even saying that something needs to be done to make them sound like "racing cars". He's worried about losing sponsors, fans & viewership. See here. See post by spyrrari above...

Last edited:
They knew the flowmeter was off by 10% and asked all the teams to adjust to that number, RBR thought they could get around it by using their own measuring method (iirc it was a lot closer to the engine itself, maybe the injector) that they claimed (and are able to prove) is more accurate. So that's the sticking point, the fact that they went against a direct order they easily could've avoided. And as @SVT Cobra GT said, they were warned and still went on as they did.

Shows to me that they had this shady business planned out in advance and it's really crappy of them to do and try to defend like they hold some special place above the other teams or the other teams just aren't clever or brave enough to use the FIA's incompetence against them :rollseyes:

But anyway, check this out:

1375662_1477723492443370_417915341_n.jpg
1898067_1477084405840612_1805532680_n.jpg

K Mag's awesome, liking him more and more everyday as I find out more about him, really looking forward to tracking his progress this year. Not expecting anything, just watching with a lot of interest, although I do think he has it in him to go far.

And I now know what I'm gonna be wearing to the race in Austin this year: any excuse to wear a Viking hat will be pounced on with extreme beardness.

They knew the flowmeter was off by 10% and asked all the teams to adjust to that number, RBR thought they could get around it by using their own measuring method (iirc it was a lot closer to the engine itself, maybe the injector) that they claimed (and are able to prove) is more accurate. So that's the sticking point, the fact that they went against a direct order they easily could've avoided. And as @SVT Cobra GT said, they were warned and still went on as they did.

Shows to me that they had this shady business planned out in advance and it's really crappy of them to do and try to defend like they hold some special place above the other teams or the other teams just aren't clever or brave enough to use the FIA's incompetence against them
I suspect that they thought they could get away with ignoring instructions and using a different method without permission if they proved the FIA sensor was faulty.

On Top Gears Facebook page they have put a picture of when Vettel came in to do the lap in the Liana with the caption 'even the Liana can go 6 laps without engine failure'! :lol:

I was planning to go to at least 2 gp's this season....but after watching this video i am not so sure i want to...

:yuck:

Spy.

for the guys who are too young to have experienced,or older who have forgotten....listen to this with your speakers/headphones on volume 11 ....

I know i am whyning and such....but after more than 30 years of going to gp's and loving it....does it hurt to blame me that i really miss the old days???....

I hope not!!

I have always loved the new technical stuff introduced almost every new season,but this one this year is both great and bad....

I think this is the first time i re posted myself...hope it will be the last,it just shows how disappointed i am with the whole new regulations this year,especially how the FIA forgot that the fans want something special when they pay lots of money to HEAR and see F1 cars flash by....!!!

grrrrrr...

Spy.

I'm glad Bernie is not happy about the sound because you just know if he's not happy then things WILL change. My only worry is how they are going to go about improving the noise.

If they are going to propose mechanical changes then the teams and engine manufacturers will protest at all the wasted development and the potential of having to spend all season messing doing all sorts!

But I'm worried that they are going to take the other route.... and artificially fiddle with the sound using mufflers different exhausts etc so the cars will end up sounding loud but like ricers in car parks loud :yuck:

They should just totally U-Turn this IMO at the end of this season and re-introduce the V8's with all the new ERS stuff added.

MatheusBond
It's OK to miss. I miss the '04 cars myself, those were freaky fast!

I also miss them and their crazy cool aero, fond memories of the BWM Williams FW26 with the Walrus nose. That car was damn quick!

Back