2014 Tidgney's Detailed Video Guides (Round 4 Guide is Live!)

• Thread starter Tidgney
  • 104 comments

Tidgney

Premium
United Kingdom
Southport
LZR_Tidgney
Hey All,

I figured I'd start a thread seen as though I'll be producing 4 videos this year of guides, and they are all going to be detailed enough so that you can either learn the entire round or on a specific corner if your struggling on one! Now I'll always be producing these once a solid idea has been built of the lap and that I have a good time to give me a very good idea what skills are needed, and so I can help the community!

If you ever have any questions fire away and I'll always be happy to help!

=====================================================================

GT Academy 2014 - Round 4 (GTR GT3 @ Spa)

A Very frustrating combo with the final round of GT Academy! We're in a GTR GT3 car, so RWD and alot of places for it to go wrong on a long lap of Spa! The key to this challenge is to make sure your using the right gears in the right place and consistency! I would say consistency is the big one, and highly recommend the tip of if it's red carry on anyway as you can still learn! Some things in this video are;

• Understanding Gears
  • Gears and stability
  • Weight Transfer
  • 4 wheel drift/slip

Should you just want to learn about a specific corner or see the lap in normal speed with some quick commentary check out the following time stamps for the video;

• Turn 1 (La Source): 01:40
  • Turns 2/3/4 (Eau Rouge/Raidillon): 04:15
  • Turns 5/6 (Les Combes): 07:39
  • Turn 7 (Malmedy): 10:18
  • Turn 8 (Rivage): 11:40
  • Turn 9: 14:40
  • Turn 10 (Pouhon): 16:00
  • Turn 11 (Fagnes): 17:30
  • Turn 13 (Stavelot 1): 20:30
  • Turn 15 (Blanchimont): 24:00
  • Turn 16 (Chicane): 24:28
  • Full Speed Commentary: 29:10

GT Academy 2014 - Round 3 (Nissan GTR @ Bathurst)

Another unique challenge in round 3 with the GTR and it's 4WD system, and it's ECU Trickery :)! We have to deal with both understeer on sections of the track and also the weight moving in different ways at different parts of the track as we are going uphill and downhill! Try focus on some of the bigger priority corners that are bolded below, and maybe pick one and really work on that one! Some skills in this one;
  • Weight stability under braking
  • Rolling the car
  • Using the track to our advantage
Should you just want to learn about a specific corner or see the lap in normal speed with some quick commentary check out the following time stamps for the video;

• Turn 1 (Hell Corner): 02:20
  • Turn 2 (Griffins Bend): 06:58
  • Turn 3/4/5 (The Cutting): 09:50
  • Turn 6/7 (Quarry Corner): 14:55
  • Turn 8/9 (Frog Hollow): 16:55
  • Turn 10 (McPhillamy Park): 19:54
  • Turn 11/12 (Skyline/The Esses): 21:35
  • Turn 13/14/15 (The Dipper/The Esses): 24:15
  • Turn 16/17/18/19 (Forrest's Elbow): 27:10
  • Turns 20/21/22 (The Chase): 31:53
  • Turn 23 (Murrays Corner): 34:28
  • Full Speed Commentary: 36:22

GT Academy 2014 - Round 2 (Nissan 370z @ Apricot Hill)

This round follows on from round 1 quite nicely with precision needed in this round as well! Due to the nature of round 2 and with not much grip you have to be precise but understand what's happening with the car so that's more of a focus with this round! You'll also find there are many lines so the reason for 36 minutes is due to me talking about the varying lines! You also have the joy of a wheel cam for this as I feel it's necessary to show that there isn't a massive amount of fighting with the wheel even with this level of grip! Main focus of this round in my eyes on top of the first rounds idea are;
  • Throttle Control,
  • Weight Manipulation,
  • Car Balance,
  • Track usage

• Turns 1 & 2 (Big First Corner): 01:38
  • Turn 3: 06:06
  • Turn 4: 09:00
  • Turn 5: 10:57
  • Turn 6 (Long Left Hander/Start of Sector 2): 13:15
  • Turn 7 (Hairpin): 15:49
  • Turn 8 (Left before chicane): 20:30
  • Turn 9 (LapBreaker/Chicane): 22:25
  • Turn 10 (Last Corner): 26:10
  • Wheelcam: 29:30
  • Full Speed Commentary: 33:22

GT Academy 2014 - Round 1 (Nissan Leaf @ Brands Hatch)

This round is actually a very, very important round if your somebody who is struggling to improve as a driver, or perhaps wanting to qualify but not really sure if you will! It presents the possibility to practice skills which may be handy in all other rounds but practice them with extreme precision and that's what the combo is all about! I talk in depth in the video about those skills at the start and throughout the lap where you perhaps use them on each corner, these skills are;

• Precise Steering,
  • Throttle application,
  • Braking (Trail braking is slightly in there)
  • Weight manipulation,
  • Lift off over steer

• Paddock Hill Bend: 05:00
  • Druids: 09:18
  • Graham Hill Bend: 15:25
  • Surtees, Mclaren & Clearways: 17:40
  • Full Speed Commentary: 23:30

Last edited:
Great video. Just improved my time to 1.03.860. I still struggle at Graham Hill. Before going into that turn I am in front of everyone on my friendslist (top time amongst my friends is .4xx), still some work to do I guess.

Anyway cheers for the guide, very helpful!

Thanks for the video - helped me soooooooooooooo much! im happy with a 1:03.8 right now!

Glad it's helped :), if you start to struggle a little more give me a shout :)!

Great video. Just improved my time to 1.03.860. I still struggle at Graham Hill. Before going into that turn I am in front of everyone on my friendslist (top time amongst my friends is .4xx), still some work to do I guess.

Anyway cheers for the guide, very helpful!

Great work! Graham hill is the toughest bend there really because there's so much risk vs gain. I mean as you've seen in the video I lose a tenth there, but still compared to alot of people it looks like I nail it well! If you don't get any oversteer at all which is what your sort of after you will get the best graham hill bend, you may find actually dropping off the throttle a little bit mid corner helps with turn in if you get to much understeer so it's certainly to something try if your taking maximum risk but not very much gain is coming from it!

Thank you, thank you so much Martin!
I improved to 1:03.835 and the best is that I got that time in one of my worst attempts :D
Might I could improve .200 more.
Again, thank you!

Thank you, thank you so much Martin!
I improved to 1:03.835 and the best is that I got that time in one of my worst attempts :D
Might I could improve .200 more.
Again, thank you!

Excellent work :)!! No worries, I make this to help people out, if they don't help people I'd stop and hearing of these improvements from yourself and others is just awesome to hear about :)!

I've always loved your guides mate. A big thanks for doing this over the years. I've only had an hour playing this and sat at 1:03.9
I will watch this and see where I can find more time. I can see where to find abit I just need to put the lap together. (about .25) Guest need to know where tha other time is missing lol.

thanks again

Velly

Excellent work :)!! No worries, I make this to help people out, if they don't help people I'd stop and hearing of these improvements from yourself and others is just awesome to hear about :)!
Never stop friend!
Finally I was able to put together all my best sectors, I decided to don't risk too much in the last corner and got an 1:03.640.
Currently 14 place in Mexico!!

thank you for your advanced driving tips, Tidge. Cheers! will apply what I've learned and hope to come out top 10 in Canada. (GTP list)

Thanks very much! I've been wondering where I was going wrong and your instructions helped answer the question. I've improved by around half a second already, and when I've got my new and improved lines down pat, I'll improve even more. I appreciate the time and effort you took, very informative!

So far, thanks to you, I'm in the lead for a side bet with a buddy of mine. The one with the slowest time has to post a pic racing in a dress. :lol: Man, I hope he doesn't see this video!

Cheers

Last edited:
@Tidgney Help!!! I just cant get the last corner. I can see when to lift off the throttle but I think I am turning point is wrong. Can you please expand abit more on how to do this? I can get along side @warrior2167 but then will loose 1/2 a second in the final turn :( I just cant get any consisteny what so every here :(

edit - looking at our video agin I think I am getting on the throttle too early, i should let the car just coast through the corner more (even on part throttle)

Last edited:
@Tidgney Help!!! I just cant get the last corner. I can see when to lift off the throttle but I think I am turning point is wrong. Can you please expand abit more on how to do this? I can get along side @warrior2167 but then will loose 1/2 a second in the final turn :( I just cant get any consisteny what so every here :(

edit - looking at our video agin I think I am getting on the throttle too early, i should let the car just coast through the corner more (even on part throttle)

The thing with clearways (The last corner) is that you may find my style isn't appropriate for your driving style. If you want to try my way first I'd say just stay off the throttle completely until you hit 53mph (Not sure of Kph). This will help you minimize any aggression in the corner or eagerness to get on the throttle. You may start to find that after a few goes you're going really far onto the kerb, I'd then try to start adding a tiny bit of throttle as you de accelerate and then build up from it. That will allow you to judge the throttle on exit better because your already on the throttle so (Mindset wise at leasT) you can adjust accordingly.

@oink83 and also @Twissy (Last time I looked anyway :)) approach it differently in that they go more aggressive in brake alot harder in the corner to get some oversteer and then can stay on the throttle on the way out. That allows more aggression and can also help actually maintain a bit more speed. The problem can be that it can also cause understeer but likewise so can my approach if you don't get the right rotation from the lift off.

Both ways will give you decent times as both ways are really high up there. Try both I'm sure you'll be able to build yourself an idea from that! If your still stuck give me a shout!

Thanks @Tidgney Got .1 off my time. Still not nailed the last part but now getting consistent. Sadly I downloaded iRacing on the weekend so didnt really get to too much time on Academy lol

On to round two :)

Round 2 is live!

All the details been updated in the main post! It's quite long so of course if your struggling with just 1 corner check that out, there's a wheel cam and some little analysis on the wheel and the usual full speed commentary!

Comments, Questions and Constructive criticism always welcomed :)!

Enjoy!

Improved almost immediately after watching the guide, but my weakest point is the 3rd corner, i just cant master the turn in and for me a 4 wheel slide through there seems to be the best i can do.

Any pointers?

hey man nice video and i was wondering is it possible to get that angle and turn using a ds3? im currently at 1.35.582 and i keep messing up towards the last two sectors.Any suggestions?

Improved almost immediately after watching the guide, but my weakest point is the 3rd corner, i just cant master the turn in and for me a 4 wheel slide through there seems to be the best i can do.

Any pointers?

Sorry to be a pain here, but which do you count as the 3rd? If you mean the right I'd just let off and roll in, if you mean the left (After the right) your after that 4 wheel drift as it gives you the best average throughout the corner. The annoying part of the left is making sure you don't get to much of an angle but 3/4 throttle should help as soon as you get the desired angle.

hey man nice video and i was wondering is it possible to get that angle and turn using a ds3? im currently at 1.35.582 and i keep messing up towards the last two sectors.Any suggestions?

Not sure to be fair as I haven't tried a pad for this one! The nice thing about a pad is you have the ability to countersteer very quickly without losing to much time so you may want to try more aggressive/slidey approach for the hairpin. The chicane you would definitely have to roll off for before hitting it and then even a bit of sliding on a pad shouldn't be to bad on the exit as you can counteract it very quickly not costing you to much! Same gear change though I would think during the middle of the last turn!

Sorry to be a pain here, but which do you count as the 3rd? If you mean the right I'd just let off and roll in, if you mean the left (After the right) your after that 4 wheel drift as it gives you the best average throughout the corner. The annoying part of the left is making sure you don't get to much of an angle but 3/4 throttle should help as soon as you get the desired angle.
the first after the one you could consider double apex corner. The right hander. In fact i sort of have the same problem in both right handers in that section - understeer that i cant really remedy well enough.

the first after the one you could consider double apex corner. The right hander. In fact i sort of have the same problem in both right handers in that section - understeer that i cant really remedy well enough.

You may be turning in to late I think, try turn in a bit earlier. You shouldn't get any understeer really as the camber should start to help straight away, even a dab of brake would help turn in a little bit.

Thanks for your video. I learned a ton and I am still improving on my lap managed to knock almost a second of and get the gold. for my lap was slow and full of errors (GoT reference). As soon as I'm done with this combo I'll post a video of my lap before and after your comments. Now I'm gonna watch it again so I can knock of some more.

Cheers,

Kevin

You may be turning in to late I think, try turn in a bit earlier. You shouldn't get any understeer really as the camber should start to help straight away, even a dab of brake would help turn in a little bit.

ure the mother****ing king man

hehehehe
improved by 2 more tenths.

Great work guys, same with round 3 as the others it should be out at the weekend :)! In the meantime get a good hang of the combo and then any additional tips will be more beneficial :D!

Latest Posts

Back