2014 Tidgney's Detailed Video Guides (Round 4 Guide is Live!)

• Thread starter Tidgney
  • 104 comments
Thanks for guide!
It helped me to improve .200 seg, now I'm at 2:17.6XX just 0.6 behind the top 14 in my country.
I want to be an alien like you :(

Keep pushing yourself, and you'll keep improving :)!

The video was a bit too late for me, but managed 16.651 (was on for a .4 atleast but managed to screw up the last sector.

Anyway have to thank you alot Tidgney's for your efforts all through since round one. We all appreciate it and I wish you good luck :cheers:

No worries at all and always happy to help :)!

You always do amazing on these lap guides. :bowdown:

It's especially fun listening to you try to keep up with the full-speed lap at the end. :lol: But the slow-mo parts are gold! :cheers:

You always do amazing on these lap guides. :bowdown:

It's especially fun listening to you try to keep up with the full-speed lap at the end. :lol: But the slow-mo parts are gold! :cheers:

Cheers :)! My mind speaks faster than my voice so it's always fun trying to do an impossible task of keeping up haha :D!

Outstanding guides! I only became aware of your YT channel and this forum in the last week or so, I wish I knew about them sooner!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and tips, I know a lot of people would prefer to keep it to themselves. :cheers:

Outstanding guides! I only became aware of your YT channel and this forum in the last week or so, I wish I knew about them sooner!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and tips, I know a lot of people would prefer to keep it to themselves. :cheers:

No worries :), aslongs the video helps some people I'll keep making them :)!

First stab at the track: 2:25 and something. Stayed on it for about 10 minutes, got it down to low 2:24.
Then I went away on a trip and took the video with me.
Watched it on the way back home.
Got home, about 25 min after firing up the PS3, got a 2:19.704.
So yeah, that was a pretty good guide I would say...

Biggest difference? The handling of La Source, brilliant line/gear change.

Can't say thank you enough, Tidgney.

First stab at the track: 2:25 and something. Stayed on it for about 10 minutes, got it down to low 2:24.
Then I went away on a trip and took the video with me.
Watched it on the way back home.
Got home, about 25 min after firing up the PS3, got a 2:19.704.
So yeah, that was a pretty good guide I would say...

Biggest difference? The handling of La Source, brilliant line/gear change.

Can't say thank you enough, Tidgney.

Excellent work, thats a huge improvement!

Can I ask how are you all flicking the back end out into turn 1? I'm changing gears as shown in the guide but there's too much traction and it's giving me 37.1 in S1 everytime?

Can I ask how are you all flicking the back end out into turn 1? I'm changing gears as shown in the guide but there's too much traction and it's giving me 37.1 in S1 everytime?

As you change to first try turning in that should definitely kick the back out more! But doing it that way you have a risk off over rotating!

I had that same issue myself and just barely came up with a remedy. Here's what I've found - stay on the brakes longer and turn in sooner. As in, start your turn-in while you're still on the brakes. Normally, it's kinda against my instincts to turn while braking (usually you just overwhelm the front tires so you get neither a good turn nor good braking), but in this case, for whatever reason, it will get the back end around. And getting the car to turn on a slow speed corner like that is more important than maintaining speed, because it allows you to get on full throttle much sooner.

O
As you change to first try turning in that should definitely kick the back out more! But doing it that way you have a risk off over rotating!
ok that's great I'll give it a go tonight. I'm losing 3-4 tenths from this corner so that leaves me with 1.3 to find elsewhere. Would you say this is just getting that right lap or will the right lap come once I'm consistent at high 15's. I was consistent at high 17's then then after one high 16 I've been keeping it there. I have the next 2 days off work to do this. I'm hoping for top 18 that should see me through the next round I think

Thanks Tidgney for another great guide. They always help.

I'm really struggling with this one though as I still use automatic gears. It seems to spin up and oversteer far too much. Would turning up my TC help or just make me slower still? I really want to get the gold time. Still stuck at 2.24 :(

O

ok that's great I'll give it a go tonight. I'm losing 3-4 tenths from this corner so that leaves me with 1.3 to find elsewhere. Would you say this is just getting that right lap or will the right lap come once I'm consistent at high 15's. I was consistent at high 17's then then after one high 16 I've been keeping it there. I have the next 2 days off work to do this. I'm hoping for top 18 that should see me through the next round I think

Once your in the 15's it's at this point it will start to get difficult. The thing you'll find with this lap and everyone will have this issue is you can easily see the time in alot of cases, I mean I can see 5/6 tenths myself if I nailed everything perfect. The problem is the word if to nail everything spot on is insane. The key is to be consistent in most corners and to improve in 1 or 2, especially at the high 15's. When you get to mid to low 15's it's at this point you have to put risk higher than consistency and that's where the most frustration will come. Unfortunately that does mean the right lap won't just come when your aiming low 15's and you'll have to really work for it!

Thanks Tidgney for another great guide. They always help.

I'm really struggling with this one though as I still use automatic gears. It seems to spin up and oversteer far too much. Would turning up my TC help or just make me slower still? I really want to get the gold time. Still stuck at 2.24 :(

Hey, no worries! On a 2:24 if your struggling with traction just put the traction control to 1/2, it should still allow a little slip I think, but give you enough grip on the exit to accelerate out! Just make sure you are consistent through each corner, no huge lunges or anything, brake at the exact same point every time, turn in at the same point and accelerate (With Traction control) at the same time, it should help you get the gold :)!

I'm stuck at a 2:20.239 down from a 2:20.764. Do you have a moment to point out where and how I could improve[the most] on this lap?

Thanks for all of the guides and support! I just picked up this game 6 weeks ago to give the GTA a shot. I am almost in the 17s, but not sure if i will get enough seat time to make it to nationals. Since you have been playing the game for sometime now, how do you know when you are reaching your own personal limits as opposed to just not having enough sim racing experience? It's crazy to me seeing you guys get great times with only one or two sessions, when I am still 3s or more behind after several more sessions. I am ok with not making it to nationals this year as long I know that more time with the game will get me to the nationals next year.

I'm stuck at a 2:20.239 down from a 2:20.764. Do you have a moment to point out where and how I could improve[the most] on this lap?

As your using a wheel I can do a few pointers for you, coming into turn 1 I can't see your braking but you don't get any rotation at all so your instantly losing 5 tenths looking at the split of the second start finish line (You also need to use all the track, remember reducing any angle on a corner will mean an easier and more stable getaway!). That would put you at a 2:19.8 (Lets say 4 tenths initially), Eau Rouge on a wheel is flat or a slight lift if your not confident (You've probably lost another 4/5 tenths all the way up Eau Rouge and kemmel), that would put you down to 2:19.3. Even on Eau rouge hitting the limiter in 5th just to make sure you get round is better than braking :)! So I'd try make this a bit of a primary focus even if you just knock off 4 tenths total that's a big gain straight away!

Further on Malmedy you need to use the full exit, and Rivage/Bruxelles try to get on the power a little earlier, trust yourself in that you can save the car! Staying in second longer here for yourself would be better because if it then started to oversteer as you pushed you can hit 3rd for your save!

That would be my big points in the lap.

Thanks for all of the guides and support! I just picked up this game 6 weeks ago to give the GTA a shot. I am almost in the 17s, but not sure if i will get enough seat time to make it to nationals. Since you have been playing the game for sometime now, how do you know when you are reaching your own personal limits as opposed to just not having enough sim racing experience? It's crazy to me seeing you guys get great times with only one or two sessions, when I am still 3s or more behind after several more sessions. I am ok with not making it to nationals this year as long I know that more time with the game will get me to the nationals next year.

To be honest with you I never really hit my limit so I can't really say, usually I do a lap and then can see how I can go faster again, and so on and so forth. What you will find though is you'll hit a peak of a line (Say the line is your fastest laps) where the line increases ever so slightly for effort and you'll notice this line when you get near your limit because your fastest lap increases become tiny, that's usually when you start hitting peak performances!

Thanks also should I have power steering on or off or does it not make a difference?

Not sure to be honest, mines off if that helps!
Tried both and off is better. On turn one are you chucking the car in with an aggressive turn or are you going through smooth and loading up all the wait and the car is giving the slide?

Tried both and off is better. On turn one are you chucking the car in with an aggressive turn or are you going through smooth and loading up all the wait and the car is giving the slide?

I don't really begin turning until I'm about to hit first, the gear change alone will rotate the car I find? Unless I'm turning slightly subconsciously!

Not sure to be honest, mines off if that helps!
Thanks so much. Haven't nailed that turn 1 just yet but I'm half a second up with your guide. Did a 16.5 with a 37.4 in the 1st sector. Only other place I'm losing is coming out rivage and through turn 9 (half a second) and then coming out of fagnes. Just need to come thought the gears quicker. Let's prey for the next 48 hours. Thanks again

Thanks so much. Haven't nailed that turn 1 just yet but I'm half a second up with your guide. Did a 16.5 with a 37.4 in the 1st sector. Only other place I'm losing is coming out rivage and through turn 9 (half a second) and then coming out of fagnes. Just need to come thought the gears quicker. Let's prey for the next 48 hours. Thanks again

Good luck, and any more questions give me a shout :)! I'm uploading my latest lap once I get home from work so may help a little :)!

Good luck, and any more questions give me a shout :)! I'm uploading my latest lap once I get home from work so may help a little :)!
That's great your ghost is pushing me and now down to a 2.16.2 would you say it's time to start taking risks.

Do you think left foot braking is pretty important for the top times? I have run a 2:16.27 and my goal is to get under 2:15.4. I am guessing most top left foot brake, by that you guys could still run a 15 flat without left foot braking. I don't as I think I am more consistent right foot braking. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Slalom

Last edited:
That's great your ghost is pushing me and now down to a 2.16.2 would you say it's time to start taking risks.

This is a judgement call yourself, me personally I would be looking for pushing only in a few corners a little more not out right risk. It depends how close you feel you are to your own maximum! But if it was me, I would still be focusing on one corner or section and keep the consistency everywhere else!

Too bad, I've just heard about this thread today only.
If I had known before, it surely would have saved me a great deal of pain to gold those 4 events.
This year's events are certainly the toughest of all in GT Academy history, I hope your great work will help those who are still struggling.
As for me, I have lost all courage, and now I have golded all 4 events and got the bonus car, I will not try again.

Anyway, very nice work here.

Too bad, I've just heard about this thread today only.
If I had known before, it surely would have saved me a great deal of pain to gold those 4 events.
This year's events are certainly the toughest of all in GT Academy history, I hope your great work will help those who are still struggling.
As for me, I have lost all courage, and now I have golded all 4 events and got the bonus car, I will not try again.

Anyway, very nice work here.

Glad you like the videos, I'm always happy to help where I can so if you struggle in the future give me a shout :)!

Back