2014 Tidgney's Detailed Video Guides (Round 4 Guide is Live!)

• Thread starter Tidgney
  • 104 comments
Guide will be out Sunday (Today/Tomorrow) depending on where you are currently lol! It failed to render last night, so reran today while I was out and failed again so I've had to re-record and it's currently rendering now so staying up until a minimum of 3:30am just for you guys! It will then be a 12 hour upload so that would suggest a 15:00-17:00 release time BST wise. Sorry for the delay, rendering can be a pain in the but sometimes!

Hey Everyone!

Just an update, round 3 guide is now live (Sorry for the delay!) timestamps as usual for any particular corner you are interested in, but do take note of the really big priority corners (There's 2 in particular)! Any questions fire away, but next week I'm going to be bringing a tip a day, so that's 7 which will help you in the final 2 weeks of GT Academy!

Any questions or Constructive criticism is welcome, or any new ideas that you want me to bring fire away!

Enjoy!

Hey Tidgney,

Great work on that vid I managed to get silver on a 0.7 from gold this video gave me a lot of insight hope to gold it tomorrow with the new insights gained from your video. It seems like i'm emphasizing on all the wrong places. Your video's really help me a bunch! I'll keep my progress posted and on that subject, my vid on the progress I made thanks to your comments is still underway!

Thanks,

Kevin

Hey Tidgney,

Great work on that vid I managed to get silver on a 0.7 from gold this video gave me a lot of insight hope to gold it tomorrow with the new insights gained from your video. It seems like i'm emphasizing on all the wrong places. Your video's really help me a bunch! I'll keep my progress posted and on that subject, my vid on the progress I made thanks to your comments is still underway!

Thanks,

Kevin

Good luck with gold! All of us at some stage focus on the wrong corner, so if you nail the right corner now from your silver, you should get gold :)!

So I said over the next 7 days I'll be bringing you 7 top tips that you should either be doing or thinking about as we approach and also do the final round of GT Academy, the 2 weeks that will actually count!

The first is here and it's organisation!

Got a 2.13.3 without guide but now i have watched it theres a few places im not quite up to speed il watch again then give it a go friday should be able to get a real good time great video great help :)

I had a quick session last night (5 laps or so) managed to be 0.4 seconds quicker that I was before your video. Still a lot of time to gain but now I know where to find it. Next time I will gold it!

Cheers,

Kevin

Thanks for the guide man appreciate it :cheers:.It has definitely made more consistent im currently at 2.13.456 still room for improvement. But its kinda hard being very consistent when you're using a ds3.
and i just had a question-so qualifications end on 16th of june so do you have any idea on how soon the territory finals might begin?

Last edited:
Thanks for the guide man appreciate it :cheers:.It has definitely made more consistent im currently at 2.13.456 still room for improvement. But its kinda hard being very consistent when you're using a ds3.
and i just had a question-so qualifications end on 16th of june so do you have any idea on how soon the territory finals might begin?

After the qualification period it really depends, but like GT Academy Germany ends on the 9th! So I can imagine there national finals are extremely fast after the qualification!

After the qualification period it really depends, but like GT Academy Germany ends on the 9th! So I can imagine there national finals are extremely fast after the qualification!
German Nationals are from 17-19 June at the Nürburgring

Another top tip here! This time technique, and practicing it! Each round has brought new techniques that we need to use from Round 1 in the leaf, all the way to the GTR at Bathurst! Make sure you learn, and practice any techniques gathered during GT Academy as we will more than likely need them in the final round!!! Revisit previous rounds to really home in and practice these skills!

Another top tip!

This time it's to analyse a lap! It's quite hard to put across in 2 minutes, but essentially to analyse a lap you have to analyse each corner on it's own! Think about each corner, think of all the ways you can take it, compare vs others and make a choice. Try out all different ways until you find one that works well!

The best way to describe this and I put it in text after recording (Wish I said during recording) is like this;

The lap is a Jigsaw, and each corner of the track is a piece of that jigsaw. Your given the pieces to make your lap so focus on each individual piece. Start with 1 piece build on it and then try to connect the next piece along. If you try to shove all the pieces together at once it will never work, so working on a piece at a time will help improve the lap until you have a complete jigsaw, which in racing terms is the perfect lap!

Enjoy,

Top Tip #5 Ask Questions!

Simply put, if you don't ask you'll never know! You should always be asking questions to yourself, and to faster drivers! Personally I'm always happy to help as you know and I've put ways to contact me in there! Also make sure you watch guides, guides and asking questions from them will allow you to learn, and learning something new may help get you an even quicker lap :)!

On a side note by the way, I will definitely be doing a detailed round 4 guide like the other 3, but I may also do a small quick guide early on for the Germans as they finish a week earlier, I'll keep you posted on that one though!

Outstanding guides! I gotta say, it's rare in life that you find someone willing to put so much time, effort and detail in helping others reach their max potential.

Thank You! :cheers:

Hehe cheers, the way I see this competition is that it's a once in a lifetime thing. If I can help make it even better then that's awesome! It gave me an opportunity, and it will continue to give other people, and hopefully some of those people who watch the guides get to the nationals, and then bootcamp! I'd love to know if a winner has ever watched my guides to!

Hey Tidgney, thanks for your helpful videos!
Its been a great help to have these videos to watch - especially as i have very minimal opportunities to get time in front of the PS3 :( so far i have about 5 hours of GTacademy practice under the belt... I'm hoping to ramp that figure up to 20hours before the qualifying section ends...
Without your videos i just wouldn't be able to get the flow on, so to speak, with such little time infront of the screen.

Any tips on moving from abs 0 to abs 1? I haven't had as much time as i'd like to refine my work on abs 0 (<- normally drives abs 0) so i've been driving abs 1 to make my braking more consistent/effective, but the car(s) seem to handle differently (even when the brakes aren't involved-by me) in particular the 370z - weight transfer feels different.
Cheers,
Citycar Brown.

Last edited:
Hey Tidgney, thanks for your helpful videos!
Its been a great help to have these videos to watch - especially as i have very minimal opportunities to get time in front of the PS3 :( so far i have about 5 hours of GTacademy practice under the belt... I'm hoping to ramp that figure up to 20hours before the qualifying section ends...
Without your videos i just wouldn't be able to get the flow on, so to speak, with such little time infront of the screen.

Any tips on moving from abs 0 to abs 1? I haven't had as much time as i'd like to refine my work on abs 0 (<- normally drives abs 0) so i've been driving abs 1 to make my braking more consistent/effective, but the car(s) seem to handle differently (even when the brakes aren't involved-by me) in particular the 370z - weight transfer feels different.
Cheers,
Citycar Brown.

Hey,

Glad they help :)! Driving ABS 1 you can just be more aggressive, as you won't face wheel locking, I've not driven without ABS for quite a while so the only advice I can give is be more aggressive with the car. Sorry that's not a crazy amount of help, but I have very limited experience of the 0 abs so not necessarily the best person to ask in this case :(!

Top Tip # 7!! Self Belief!

Pretty simple really, BELIEVE that you can win, BELIEVE you can do that lap! Simply BELIEVE in yourself and you will give yourself the best opportunity!

A big good luck now for the next 2 weeks (1 for you Germans!) I'll definitely be giving the final round a good go unless something comes up!

Nice video as always tidgney!
I'm stuck at 2.16.8xx cause I'm using a ds3. Has anyone been able to take ea rouge and blanchimont at full throttle? Cause I feel I'm losing most of my time there. Any tips?

Last edited:
I'm like 3 thenths slower in first and last sector and I'm happy about that. It's at the second sector I lose more then a second :embarrassed:
Watched your video and it seems I don't do a lot different :s
Probably doing something wrong...

BTW: which wheel settings do you use?
I'm always using simulator, force assistend on and ffb 8, works for me but don't know if there are faster settings :P

Thanks!

Thanks for the guide!! As always, spot on! 👍

Today going to work on easing into your recommended braking zones. Not naturally trained to trail brake. So once again have to take off the RW way and put on the Virtual. Your gearing suggestions on exit are Awesome!

If I come any where close to your sector one speeds it will be a miracle. :bowdown:

You the man!! 👍

:cheers:

Edit: Wow, I had to pause it. Miracles do happen. :lol: Fresh out of the box, after this post, I was real close to sector 1 goal! 👍

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Nice video as always tidgney!
I'm stuck at 2.16.8xx cause I'm using a ds3. Has anyone been able to take ea rouge and blanchimont at full throttle? Cause I feel I'm losing most of my time there. Any tips?

I honestly think you'll gain more time in the middle of the lap, it may be worth doing a sector vs sector comparison versus immortals lap to really gauge where the time loss is. But for example;

1st Sector Average: .8xx
2nd Sector Average: 1:39.6xx-.8xx

It may help with some comparison with that!

I'm like 3 thenths slower in first and last sector and I'm happy about that. It's at the second sector I lose more then a second :embarrassed:
Watched your video and it seems I don't do a lot different :s
Probably doing something wrong...

BTW: which wheel settings do you use?
I'm always using simulator, force assistend on and ffb 8, works for me but don't know if there are faster settings :P

Thanks!

From the video you may be finding that your using the same references, gears and perhaps even speed it may be 1 of 2 issues (Probably something I should have said in the video but I could go on for 2 hours in a video if I'm honest :P);

1) Your exit is being compromised, your hitting all your entry points spot on but there's alot of focus on exit speeds in this lap and that may be a factor

2) Rotation of the car, that's also a big thing here and if you don't get any at all it can mean a far slower lap than one with slight rotation!

Maybe try look at those 2 things and see what might help with that!

As for the wheel; Simulator, Off, 4/5 (Can never remember this one)

Thanks for the guide!! As always, spot on! 👍

Today going to work on easing into your recommended braking zones. Not naturally trained to trail brake. So once again have to take off the RW way and put on the Virtual. Your gearing suggestions on exit are Awesome!

If I come any where close to your sector one speeds it will be a miracle. :bowdown:

You the man!! 👍

:cheers:

Edit: Wow, I had to pause it. Miracles do happen. :lol: Fresh out of the box, after this post, I was real close to sector 1 goal! 👍

Thanks!!

Hey mate :), Great work keep pushing improvements will come!

Daaaamnmm mate!
Improved like 4 tenths today
just read your advice and I will focus some more on that tomorrow, thank you very much!
Now i improved just because of better shifting. First sector is now .7 :)
now i will focus on middle sector to find one tenth. Than I'm in top 7 of Belgium.
So really a big thank you mate! You're doing a wonderful job!

The video was a bit too late for me, but managed 16.651 (was on for a .4 atleast but managed to screw up the last sector.

Anyway have to thank you alot Tidgney's for your efforts all through since round one. We all appreciate it and I wish you good luck :cheers:

Latest Posts

Back