2014 United Kingdom General Discussion

• Thread starter numbnuts70
  • 420 comments
This may be slightly off topic, but do you by any chance compete in the BUKC? I noticed in your picture you're driving a club 100 kart! I competed in it this year, I'm a motorsport engineering student at Brunel University, by chance I also drive a Seat Arosa!! What a coincidence!! :lol:
Yay, someone else with an Arosa! :lol: Yeah I race in the BUKC, I'm doing automotive engineering at Warwick. BUKC is brilliant, this was my first year so did 2 main championship events (Buckmore and Clay) and 2 rookies events (Whilton and GYG), plus the washout that was the driver's champs :P should get a full season in the main championship next year. Was it you who came third in lightweights?

I understand and respect your opinion but you should know I already have quite the CV:
  • Not colourblind
  • Time's Person of the Year 2006
  • Former record holder for youngest age
I was 18 when I did it and I'd definitely have done better if I'd had a few years extra experience.

Yay, someone else with an Arosa! :lol: Yeah I race in the BUKC, I'm doing automotive engineering at Warwick. BUKC is brilliant, this was my first year so did 2 main championship events (Buckmore and Clay) and 2 rookies events (Whilton and GYG), plus the washout that was the driver's champs :P should get a full season in the main championship next year. Was it you who came third in lightweights?
Yay for no power!! :lol: It is fantastic fun! It made uni more exciting and I've made loads of friends from it! :) I was in sprint race 5 at Buckmore as well, the one where it started sunny and then when we got to the grid it tipped it down! I got soaked and I was freezing haha! Yes, I got 3rd in the driver's champs, it was a really fun race that! I was too cautious in qualifying so only got 19th but to get up to 3rd was way beyond what I thought I could achieve from there! It was almost like winning! :) You'll definitely have to say hello next year! :)

I was 18 when I did it and I'd definitely have done better if I'd had a few years extra experience.

Yay for no power!! :lol: It is fantastic fun! It made uni more exciting and I've made loads of friends from it! :) I was in sprint race 5 at Buckmore as well, the one where it started sunny and then when we got to the grid it tipped it down! I got soaked and I was freezing haha! Yes, I got 3rd in the driver's champs, it was a really fun race that! I was too cautious in qualifying so only got 19th but to get up to 3rd was way beyond what I thought I could achieve from there! It was almost like winning! :) You'll definitely have to say hello next year! :)
I did sprint 3 at Buckmore, was a drying track, quite slippery at the start and I hadn't done a competitive kart race before (missed northern qualifiers) so was a bit of a baptism of fire but didn't spin which was good! I did enduro 1 though, which was when the rain was pretty much at its hardest and the wind was blowing as well, that was quite interesting :lol: I qualified 6th for the heavies B final which I was happy with as I was expecting to be right near the back, got up to 4th briefly and then the race was red flagged half way through. Had a mare after the restart, finished 10th. Good racing though! Yes I shall, which test days do you think you'll go to? We went to Whilton (it's our local track) and Bayford last year (Llandow was waaaaay too far away) and will probably do the same again if they run them, so will probably see you at one of them! :) I would wear my GT Academy t-shirt which would make me easier to spot around the paddock but I'll have to wear my motorsport exec shirt so the freshers know who I am :lol:

Last edited:
I did sprint 3 at Buckmore, was a drying track, quite slippery at the start and I hadn't done a competitive kart race before (missed northern qualifiers) so was a bit of a baptism of fire but didn't spin which was good! I did enduro 1 though, which was when the rain was pretty much at its hardest and the wind was blowing as well, that was quite interesting :lol: I qualified 6th for the heavies B final which I was happy with as I was expecting to be right near the back, got up to 4th briefly and then the race was red flagged half way through. Had a mare after the restart, finished 10th. Good racing though! Yes I shall, which test days do you think you'll go to? We went to Whilton (it's our local track) and Bayford last year (Llandow was waaaaay too far away) and will probably do the same again if they run them, so will probably see you at one of them! :) I would wear my GT Academy t-shirt which would make me easier to spot around the paddock but I'll have to wear my motorsport exec shirt so the freshers know who I am :lol:
I would've loved to do that race! Drying conditions are my favourite! I did enduro 1 as well, I think we started 20th or something like that and by the end of the opening stint I was in first! I was absolutely freezing though, when I got in from my stint I just stood in the pit lane shaking until I had to get back in, my hands were blue! I once got the fastest lap of a race in drying conditions when I raced junior max! 👍 I did the southern qualifiers at Bayford Meadows, it was wet conditions all day! I spun in the first lap of practice, but I came second in the sprint race from 18th on the grid, and I won the endurance race despite losing one of my contact lenses half way through my last stint! :) It was a shame the weather was so bad, it would've been awesome to have the super final, I was really looking forward to seeing what I could do in that! Well last year we did Whilton and Bayford tests, so I imagine they'll do those again, and I'll probably go to as many as I can :) I'll probably be wearing my GT Academy t-shirt, and you've seen a picture of my so you should recognise me :)

I would've loved to do that race! Drying conditions are my favourite! I did enduro 1 as well, I think we started 20th or something like that and by the end of the opening stint I was in first! I was absolutely freezing though, when I got in from my stint I just stood in the pit lane shaking until I had to get back in, my hands were blue! I once got the fastest lap of a race in drying conditions when I raced junior max! 👍 I did the southern qualifiers at Bayford Meadows, it was wet conditions all day! I spun in the first lap of practice, but I came second in the sprint race from 18th on the grid, and I won the endurance race despite losing one of my contact lenses half way through my last stint! :) It was a shame the weather was so bad, it would've been awesome to have the super final, I was really looking forward to seeing what I could do in that! Well last year we did Whilton and Bayford tests, so I imagine they'll do those again, and I'll probably go to as many as I can :) I'll probably be wearing my GT Academy t-shirt, and you've seen a picture of my so you should recognise me :)
Meh, I'm not very good in the wet :lol: I think you were in enduro 2, just looked at the results of enduro 1 to remember who won it (Van Es with his bandit 360, how could I forget? :lol:) and no Brunel A. We had a bit of a shocker in 1, My mate went backwards off the start (kinda expected though as it was the first proper BUKC event for both of us, happened to us in our sprint races too) and we were 24th I think, then I spun :ouch: Ah well, I should be quicker next year. The new Vega tyres should be fun, we have a senior max at Warwick and I've done a couple of test days in that, plus a test day in one of our TKMs running Rotax tyres (bruised my ribs in that kart :grumpy:) so getting used to much grippier rubber. Hopefully doing an OEKC race at Whilton next month too! The driver's champs weather was horrendous, A couple of Warwick people, one HW, one graduate, got 9 minutes of running each (or however long each quali session was) for their £70! I'll be at as many test days as I can get to as well, the more the merrier :P So yeah, I'll see you at one of them! :)

Meh, I'm not very good in the wet :lol: I think you were in enduro 2, just looked at the results of enduro 1 to remember who won it (Van Es with his bandit 360, how could I forget? :lol:) and no Brunel A. We had a bit of a shocker in 1, My mate went backwards off the start (kinda expected though as it was the first proper BUKC event for both of us, happened to us in our sprint races too) and we were 24th I think, then I spun :ouch: Ah well, I should be quicker next year. The new Vega tyres should be fun, we have a senior max at Warwick and I've done a couple of test days in that, plus a test day in one of our TKMs running Rotax tyres (bruised my ribs in that kart :grumpy:) so getting used to much grippier rubber. Hopefully doing an OEKC race at Whilton next month too! The driver's champs weather was horrendous, A couple of Warwick people, one HW, one graduate, got 9 minutes of running each (or however long each quali session was) for their £70! I'll be at as many test days as I can get to as well, the more the merrier :P So yeah, I'll see you at one of them! :)
I still haven't quite found the ultimate pace in the dry in these karts I don't think, but in the wet I'm right up there! :) Ahh yes, I got confused because I went in the first enduro our team did, not the actual first one! I had a terrible sprint race at Buckmore, I don't know what it was but the kart I had just wouldn't turn in the wet conditions! Normally you get tonnes of understeer because you're on slicks but it was just so much worse than normal, it must've been a dodgy chassis or something! Yeah, I'm not sure how much difference they'll make, but it should be a positive step I think! I've had a few bruises racing in junior rotax, but I always wear a rib protector now. I'm hoping our team has better luck next year because this year we had rotten luck, we could've won the championship but everything that could've gone wrong pretty much did haha! Yeah, the LWs got 7 minutes qualifying and then a 20 minute race, even that isn't a lot for £70, although at least I was one of the lucky ones who came away with a trophy haha! I look forward to it! 👍

I still haven't quite found the ultimate pace in the dry in these karts I don't think, but in the wet I'm right up there! :) Ahh yes, I got confused because I went in the first enduro our team did, not the actual first one! I had a terrible sprint race at Buckmore, I don't know what it was but the kart I had just wouldn't turn in the wet conditions! Normally you get tonnes of understeer because you're on slicks but it was just so much worse than normal, it must've been a dodgy chassis or something! Yeah, I'm not sure how much difference they'll make, but it should be a positive step I think! I've had a few bruises racing in junior rotax, but I always wear a rib protector now. I'm hoping our team has better luck next year because this year we had rotten luck, we could've won the championship but everything that could've gone wrong pretty much did haha! Yeah, the LWs got 7 minutes qualifying and then a 20 minute race, even that isn't a lot for £70, although at least I was one of the lucky ones who came away with a trophy haha! I look forward to it! 👍
I'm getting quicker, I was a lot closer to competitive pace at Clay than I was at the start of the season, got 24th in both races, which isn't fantastic but I was happy with them, my fastest lap within a second of some of the top guys. Apparently they are very different, you actually have to 'drive' them and be smooth and progressive now, the guy who told me this (who races in Ginetta Supercup and British GT4, and does a bit of Club100 on the side) said in 2013 he was constantly being beaten by people who were Club100 experts, but at the first event in 2014 (Buckmore) he won everything because he'd done Rotax and knew how to drive with that much grip. I had a Sparco rib protector on when it happened, so I invested in a Tillett R4, which has worked wonders! Hopefully they'll take driver's champs back to Whilton next year, it's our local track so I know my way around there now! :lol:

I'm getting quicker, I was a lot closer to competitive pace at Clay than I was at the start of the season, got 24th in both races, which isn't fantastic but I was happy with them, my fastest lap within a second of some of the top guys. Apparently they are very different, you actually have to 'drive' them and be smooth and progressive now, the guy who told me this (who races in Ginetta Supercup and British GT4, and does a bit of Club100 on the side) said in 2013 he was constantly being beaten by people who were Club100 experts, but at the first event in 2014 (Buckmore) he won everything because he'd done Rotax and knew how to drive with that much grip. I had a Sparco rib protector on when it happened, so I invested in a Tillett R4, which has worked wonders! Hopefully they'll take driver's champs back to Whilton next year, it's our local track so I know my way around there now! :lol:
One of my best friends did the rookies this year, I'm trying to help him develop into a better driver, so hopefully he'll be in the main team this year! :) That's hopefully good news for me, I know how to drive a rotax very well! When the super one champion came to my home track my lap time was only half a second off his, and my crappy engine and the fact my chassis was bent would probably make up that half second! :) I have a tillet rib protector as well, it's been pretty good so far and I've had it for several years! Whilton probably isn't my favourite track, it's not bad but I had quite a lot of bad luck at that round and I still think I have a couple of tenths to find in the dry! I'd love if they went to Hooton Park, I've done hundreds of laps around there haha! :)

Cracked 2 ribs at Whiton... a month of agony. That's a bumpy track, and I wouldn't drive it again without a rib protector.

My condolences go to those eliminated. Going through the flickr photos made me sad today.
🤬

I was absolutely sure of one competitor still being there when I got there on Monday and he's been eliminated. I had him as the most complete package from the UK group too. Double 🤬

🤬

I was absolutely sure of one competitor still being there when I got there on Monday and he's been eliminated. I had him as the most complete package from the UK group too. Double 🤬

I feel like you're giving people a touch of death famine :P! I remember when you were surprised at me last year!

To be honest I'm really, really gutted for him I mean the amount of effort he has put in to get there is incredible! I hope he doesn't give up though and keeps trying, the pressure of the academy race camp is weird. Everyone including myself think it won't effect them, but it will in someway effect everyone. I only noticed after my elimination how much it had effected me by doing the same challenge/combo again.

Well I got eliminated, bit frustrated because it wasn't really down to my speed, more just not being able to put the left hand drive 370z through a hole in the wall very well, but there we go. Hoping to get more time driving at least.

I will be shocked if a mini-game finalist actually makes it to Race Camp.

I must admit, I imagined that the Facebook qualifiers would be a bunch of randoms, and that there'd be no way they could compete against the online qualifiers. Looks like I'm really eating my words now, because not only has a Facebook qualifier made it to Race Camp, he's still in the competition after three eliminations!

Also, he's the only UK GTPlanet member left (@alexpez), even if he hasn't actually posted in two years.

Well I got eliminated, bit frustrated because it wasn't really down to my speed, more just not being able to put the left hand drive 370z through a hole in the wall very well, but there we go. Hoping to get more time driving at least.

Sorry to hear about it, I was personally rooting for you and Shane :(

I do have one question: just how evil was Mud Mayhem? :ill:

I must admit, I imagined that the Facebook qualifiers would be a bunch of randoms, and that there'd be no way they could compete against the online qualifiers. Looks like I'm really eating my words now, because not only has a Facebook qualifier made it to Race Camp, he's still in the competition after three eliminations!

I'm not sure how many people are aware that Alex has previously reached the national finals, in 2010. He may have qualified through the Facebook thing this time, but he certainly isn't a mug when it comes to Gran Turismo, (and indeed everything else judging by his current progress.)

gutted for you mate :(

I'm not sure how many people are aware that Alex has previously reached the national finals, in 2010. He may have qualified through the Facebook thing this time, but he certainly isn't a mug when it comes to Gran Turismo, (and indeed everything else judging by his current progress.)

He's qualified every year apart from 2013 (By choice I think that year) :P! Unlucky spurgy mate I know how you feel, one mistake and it's over :(! Don't give up though and hey at least now you can do a full season of Jedi now :D?

I don't know who I said it to last year, but elimination isn't the end. You're surrounded by top professional racing drivers and, whether or not you meet the criteria for being a GT Academy winner (it's not always about being the best at the time, but that they can mould you into the best at the end) if you impress these guys you've got pretty decent contacts in motorsports who will give you a good reference.

The path is still open if you want to walk it - and can find sponsorship.

I don't know who I said it to last year, but elimination isn't the end. You're surrounded by top professional racing drivers and, whether or not you meet the criteria for being a GT Academy winner (it's not always about being the best at the time, but that they can mould you into the best at the end) if you impress these guys you've got pretty decent contacts in motorsports who will give you a good reference.

The path is still open if you want to walk it - and can find sponsorship.
not always the case though. last year adam impressed all the judges, and we all thought he'd still get a seat somewhere. But when I spoke to him, he's still having to find his own way. Pretty sad really, as he was impressive

not always the case though. last year adam impressed all the judges, and we all thought he'd still get a seat somewhere. But when I spoke to him, he's still having to find his own way. Pretty sad really, as he was impressive
Yep - it takes a lot of time. It's just not easy.

I'm apparently participating in a round-table Q&A about GT Academy with some representatives of the program on uhh... Tuesday I think and I already have a question written up with Adam's name in it :D

Don't forget that I was the faster driver out of the UK guys and they didn't choose me because of my inexperience. It's not all about speed with GT Academy it seems, they're looking for someone to represent their brand, hence why they have Chris Hoy racing for them, he's a great ambassador.

Don't forget that I was the faster driver out of the UK guys and they didn't choose me because of my inexperience. It's not all about speed with GT Academy it seems, they're looking for someone to represent their brand, hence why they have Chris Hoy racing for them, he's a great ambassador.

I did think you were the quicker and was adamant you'd win mate, always remember paul comparing you to senna :lol: but they want someone, if I dare say, who will do everything they say, who they can control or mould into what they want. And your confidence (not a bad thing 👍) is what I think why you didn't win the national final, as they knew that they couldn't turn you into the driver they wanted.

Just my opinion though, hope no offence was taken to anyone, none intended but all the final result is, is for advertisement

I did think you were the quicker and was adamant you'd win mate, always remember paul comparing you to senna :lol: but they want someone, if I dare say, who will do everything they say, who they can control or mould into what they want. And your confidence (not a bad thing 👍) is what I think why you didn't win the national final, as they knew that they couldn't turn you into the driver they wanted.

Just my opinion though, hope no offence was taken to anyone, none intended but all the final result is, is for advertisement
Yeah, I can promise I'm not that over confident in real life :lol: That's just how I decided to come across during my interviews and stuff. If I did it again then I'd definitely play myself down more, as that's my natural style to be honest. I kind of wish I'd waited until this year to enter, everything they've gotten to do this time seems so much better than when we were there, and they seem to have had more track time!

Really gutted for you hateful way to go out in a car park :(( Shame that we are not gonna see you race this guy in the final

Kimmy Larson

www.youtube.com/embed/UfzET7Zq9Z0?list=UULZQCbZOgOL-ygJV4AQEJPA

Gutted for you mate, thought you had a very good chance of winning the whole thing :(
That is true, but 3 other Facebook people were also in the top 10 in the national final which I thought was pretty impressive (though admittedly I wasn't one of them, more work needed :lol:)

Found out about that guy yesterday, seems silly that we're competing against countries with different entry requirements.

How quick are the brit's who are left at the track driving? Wish we could see lap times from Bedford and Silverstone.

Gutted for you mate, thought you had a very good chance of winning the whole thing :(

That is true, but 3 other Facebook people were also in the top 10 in the national final which I thought was pretty impressive (though admittedly I wasn't one of them, more work needed :lol:)

Lol now the 1970's style facebook app is the real driving simulator :lol:

Last edited:
Back