2015 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter GTPorsche
  • 478 comments
United States
United States
The Japanese GP is this weekend for Round 14/19 of the 2015 Formula 1 World Championship. Could weather impact the events this weekend with the possibility of an approaching typhoon? Will Mercedes bounce back from their struggles on the streets of Marina Bay? Does Ferrari and Red Bull keep their pace from last weekend and possibly challenge Mercedes once again?
1442577443691.png

An approaching typhoon? Sounds like a carbon copy of last year's race, and we all know what happened.....:( Anyway, I predict a Mercedes slaughter as long as their cars hold up.

Last year this race was a lot of highs and lows for me. The obvious reason why it was a low.

The high was staying up to almost 3 am with at the time my Future Father in-law the night/morning before my wedding. We both fell asleep and watched the race again a few hours before the wedding... my then to be wife still thinks we are both crazy; she maybe right...

Anyways, Godspeed at Japan.

An approaching typhoon? Sounds like a carbon copy of last year's race, and we all know what happened.....:( Anyway, I predict a Mercedes slaughter as long as their cars hold up.
The tragedy last year would never have happened had a recovery vehicle not been on circuit in front of the safety barriers, whilst cars were still going round at a relatively high speed. Poor conditions caused the beginning of the incident, but had nothing to do with the horrific outcome.

Yes, although I can't imagine they would run in conditions similar to last year, it's pretty much a given that steps would be made do not allow a similar incident again even if they ran in a typhoon.

Also, watched the last race, nice to see a different winner, shame it's still boring. Think it was my first race watched since Monaco.

I think they should just move both the Singapore and Japan rounds to the beginning of the season with the rest of the Asian races. So then the threat of typhoons decreases and it makes more economical sense not flying back and forth between Europe, Asia, and then the Americas.

The tragedy last year would never have happened had a recovery vehicle not been on circuit in front of the safety barriers, whilst cars were still going round at a relatively high speed. Poor conditions caused the beginning of the incident, but had nothing to do with the horrific outcome.

Well... the weather conditions were responsible for Sutil's crash and Bianchi's crash... the water on the access road was also contributory as was the time of day. See the FIA's post-accident recommendations for more info.

The tragedy last year would never have happened had a recovery vehicle not been on circuit in front of the safety barriers, whilst cars were still going round at a relatively high speed.
And here's the version of that edited for reality:
The tragedy last year would never have happened had cars not been still going round at a relatively high speed while there was a recovery vehicle on circuit in front of the safety barriers.
Bianchi's crash was caused by Bianchi going too fast under yellows (not that he was alone in this - it's the culture of F1) and it has resulted in a change to introduce a virtual safety car to slow drivers down.

Bianchi's crash was caused by Bianchi going too fast under yellows (not that he was alone in this - it's the culture of F1) and it has resulted in a change to introduce a virtual safety car to slow drivers down.
Yes, but that means holding a driver responsible for the mistake that caused the accident, and if you do that, then the mentality is that you are marginalising the tragedy - you are effectively saying that because it was Bianchi's mistake, it was a lesser tragedy.

Yes, but that means holding a driver responsible for the mistake that caused the accident, and if you do that, then the mentality is that you are marginalising the tragedy - you are effectively saying that because it was Bianchi's mistake, it was a lesser tragedy.
I'd happily say it wasn't a tragedy at all, rather it was an unfortunate and unlucky car crash.

Had he killed a marshall or two in the process it would have been a tragedy.

Who kept his foot down when flags were waved?

Jacques Villeneuve, Mika Hakkinen, Michael Schumacher and six other drivers in practice for the 1997 race. Villeneuve received a suspended three race ban, Hakkinen escaped punishment because he raised his hand whilst passing and the other seven weren't under scrutiny.

There's even a quote about it:

Jacques Villeneuve
I clearly saw the yellow flag. If they had been waved in a corner, I would have slowed down. But on a straight it was not necessary.

Now I know JV is one of the least popular drivers on this forum and this is more fuel to that particular fire but he was not the only one with this attitude. It shows just how long ignoring or disregarding yellow flags has been a part of F1. And look what it took to change that.

I'd happily say it wasn't a tragedy at all, rather it was an unfortunate and unlucky car crash.
I feel much the same way. Unfortunately, that is perceived as being disrespectful in some corners; if it was a tragedy, then it clearly wasn't the driver's fault.

Well... the weather conditions were responsible for Sutil's crash and Bianchi's crash... the water on the access road was also contributory as was the time of day. See the FIA's post-accident recommendations for more info.

You've missed the point. My point is if there hadn't been a recovery vehicle on track at the time then there would have been nothing dangerous for Bianchi (or any other driver) to hit. Poor weather didn't kill Jules; a lack of common sense by the safety marshals did.

You've missed the point. My point is if there hadn't been a recovery vehicle on track at the time then there would have been nothing dangerous for Bianchi (or any other driver) to hit. Poor weather didn't kill Jules; a lack of common sense by the safety marshals did.
Can't agree with that. Recovery vehicles on the side of the racetrack UNDER THE PROTECTION OF YELLOW FLAGS are an extremely common occurrence. A driver driving faster than what is recommended under yellow, in poor weather, is what lead to Bianchi's untimely death. The marshals were doing their job. In Jules' defense, speeding under yellow flags is par for the course, so he was basically just doing what was expected of him.

Honestly though, there's nothing to be gained by playing the blame game. There are any number of circumstances which lead to the accident, and there's no need to put blame on any one individual or group.

Can't agree with that. Recovery vehicles on the side of the racetrack UNDER THE PROTECTION OF YELLOW FLAGS are an extremely common occurrence. A driver driving faster than what is recommended under yellow, in poor weather, is what lead to Bianchi's untimely death. The marshals were doing their job. In Jules' defense, speeding under yellow flags is par for the course, so he was basically just doing what was expected of him.

Honestly though, there's nothing to be gained by playing the blame game. There are any number of circumstances which lead to the accident, and there's no need to put blame on any one individual or group.

I'm not denying that Bianchi was going too fast under yellow-flags and that, as painful as it is to admit, he was partially responsible for his own death. I'm simply replying to one posters concerns that something similar could happen this year, if we get a carbon copy of last years weather conditions. Providing no drivers speed under yellows, and providing there are no recovery vehicles in dangerous positions, it won't happen again.

Mercedes will win. That's easy. Wonder who will finish 3rd this time around. :lol:

It seems like it will be a Mercedes walkover. Hope that Vettel can keep his good streak or maybe one of the Red Bulls can put a good fight

Button has spoken at the Thursday Press Conference and this is what he had to say;
But on Thursday in Japan he said his future plans are on hold.

“I can’t give you anything else,” he said when asked to expand on his remarks at an official FIA press conference. “Since the last race there is no more information to give you. So you are going to have to wait for a little while, I’m sorry to say. But we are in good talks, the team and myself, so that’s it. We need to concentrate on this weekend – it is a big weekend for us – McLaren Honda in front of the home crowd.”

Auto Action then asked Button: How much is a little while? And if he says he is in talks with the team, that would indicate he might be around next year.

“There are so many possibilities for next year,” Button responded. “So many possibilities. But I have nothing else for you, I am sorry to say.”
Source.

-
Looks like we'll be waiting a little while longer, just hopefully not as long as last year.

It's suppose to be dry for the next two days, so running any serious laps in today's sessions is probably not going to happen.

Back