2015 Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix

• Thread starter GTPorsche
  • 478 comments
I didn't attack you. I attacked the disproportionate media coverage.

So replying to my post with "Wow, One mention" (when it was much more then that) was you attacking the media :odd:

Pretty sure I'm not the media.

As true as that is, there comes a point where you do it too much. Look at Singapore, where Sky pretty much gave Hamilton ownership of the Senna narrative. Senna plays a fundamental role in every young driver's career, but Hamilton was made out to be the heir apparent to the Senna legacy. Where were the platitudes when Vettel and Schumacher surpassed Senna's record?

Umm I dont agree, not everyone is a fan of Senna's and both Vettel and Schumacher never seems to look up to Senna as much as Hamilton did. Vettel was compares to Schumacher quite a lot because he looked up to him and not really to Senna's. As for Michael I never really heard him saying he was a fan of Senna like Lewis do. If the press compares Lewis and Ayrton that much is because they have similar style I think and that Lewis always loved Senna.

If the press compares Lewis and Ayrton that much is because they have similar style I think and that Lewis always loved Senna.
And other drivers don't love Senna or have similar styles? I could understand it if Hamilton aspired to be like some obscure and unfairly-forgotten driver, but the way Sky handled it implied that Hamilton was the only person who had any claim to the Senna legacy - and in doing so, they marginalise every other driver who was ever inspired by Senna. And I don't think that the Senna legacy is for any one driver to claim. It's a part of the Formula 1 mythos and has superseded any one person. Senna is a part of any driver who races; he has no heir, no successor. He is an idea, passed on from one generation of driver to the next. But Sky were ready to take all of that away and reduce it down to nothing more than a base statistic.

Sure you did and I quote "you guys outnumber the haters like 4:1" that a ratio (but I'm sure you knew that) and ratios usually mean you have enough accurate data to claim fact directly or indirect depending on how you say it.
The word I've bolded would indicate that it's not an exact ratio he's posting and more of a feeling or impression he gets.

But then, you've got to argue with someone...

I didn't attack you. I attacked the disproportionate media coverage.
Is the (perceived) disproportionate media coverage actually Hamilton's fault?

It makes up half of your reasons for disliking him...

Look at the arguments that I have made against Hamilton: that the media representation is prejuducial, that commentary is misleading, that he doesn't respect other drivers by giving them racing room, and that his attitude of the ends justifying the means is not a virtue.
I don't think he has so much control over the media and commentary that either of these things can be his fault. Take those away from your arguments against Hamilton and you get literally any F1 driver from the last ever - as the classic line goes, a racing driver's psychology is not so far removed from that of a psychopath. They will do almost anything for those arbitrary points and make any number of excuses to avoid taking blame (hence "racing driver excuses", which often start before the race even starts).

I think your ire ought to be directed at English-language broadcasters who think an English-speaking driver is the one everyone wants to hear about, rather than the driver himself.

The word I've bolded would indicate that it's not an exact ratio he's posting and more of a feeling or impression he gets.

But then, you've got to argue with someone...

Yeah that's true, I've got to argue with someone...

Point is someone held a valid opinion about the state of the forums bashing who ever is in charge in dominating fashion of the points lead. If it be Vettel or Hamilton or whoever, and it gets a bit old and more so when some one makes an arbitrary ratio out of thin air to such a degree that they may as well have put it in the realm of fact.

You know, long-timers heard the same sorts of things when Alain Prost was poised to surpass Jackie Stewart's win count (a measly 27!) and Ayrton Senna was nearing Jim Clark's pole tally. And then again Michael Schumacher surpassed them both...

We're just faced with more information from more reporting presence than ever before. I mean, only the complete diehards are going to care if Sauber brought along any new aero bits or if Force India signed a three-race sponsor with a 4"x1.5" decal affixed to the inner edge of a sidepodedge flapaileronwickerbill.

Big business benefits from exposure. Having a friendly but heated rivalry like that is a good way to gain exposure with the media and the fans... good exposure.

Sadly, we've lived for decades under the concept that "bad press is still better than no press at all", which does have the effect of rewarding bad behavior (to reprehensible or ignorant people).

Naturally, the media has responsibility to report news of import regardless of its place on the happiness spectrum, but sometimes a lack of value, vague importance, missing ethical responsibility still manages to crash the party.

Where was I going with this? I guess you have to filter; not all information and news is tailored to a specific individual's desires.

Last edited:
You know, long-timers heard the same sorts of things when Alain Prost was poised to surpass Jackie Stewart's win count (a measly 27!)
After winning 2 of the first 3 races of 1987 to put him equal with JYS on 27 so we thought it was a foregone conclusion that the record would fall in about a fortnight, Prost then took pretty much the whole of the rest of the season to get that 28th win. We were on tenterhooks for ages...

And after winning 2 of the first 3 races of 1987 to put him equal with JYS on 27, Prost then took pretty much the whole of the rest of the season to get that 28th win. We were on tenterhooks for ages...

Aye, and if it wasn't for Gerhard Berger spinning away a good lead, we'd have wait another year.

Then again, if you lived in the States during that time, there amount of printed motor sport information during the off-season was very limited, TV barely had anything, and the Internet was still meekly summoning a fire without flint or tinder. You'd get pre-season info around the time the circus gathered at Monte Carlo.

Last edited:
memejapan.jpg

One perk to the American F1 broadcasting style is that there's far less of a "favorite" played up by our media, because there's no Home Team and nobody to raise Old Glory. True, there's bound to be comparisons to NASCAR and IndyCar, but from the driver's standpoint, we're rather ambivalent. Unless they've suddenly played up Alexander Rossi's WDC Haas' Constructors hopes for 2016.

Maybe not for a particular driver, but Matchett can barely contain his Ferrari fanboyism a lot of the time.

Maybe not for a particular driver, but Matchett can barely contain his Ferrari fanboyism a lot of the time.

Well I could be wrong, but I believe he did used to work at Ferrari on Schumacher's car (or was that Benetton?) so its kinda understandable that he still has abit of appreciation for his old team much as Steve Letarte does at times during the NBC coverage of Sprint Cup.

Ok then. I could've sworn he worked at Ferrari though as he talked about it extensively when Speed Channel did that special on Ferrari.
He didn't. He was with Benetton from 1990 to 1998. That was his entire time in F1.

My opinion on Hamilton/Rosberg at T1 (and Rossi/Pedrosa), I think both overtakes were dirty and should be punishable, unfortunately that's very unlikely to happen anytime soon. It's beyond me why anyone thinks forcing other drivers off the track is good or clean racing, but I suppose I'll have to put up with it for now :lol:

After Suzuka I think we see F1 in one of the worst states it's been in for years.

Mateschitz hasn't followed up on taking Mercedes engines and has left himself with the 2015 Ferrari option for 2016, Mercedes themselves feel that the biased race coverage may have been Bernie's misunderstood revenge, and now two teams are taking the sport to the EU Commission to complain about the way the financial rules are set and the way that payments are distributed.

There's some serious dissatisfaction amongst the major players; Red Bull (and by dint STR), Sauber, Force India, McLaren (who seem to be in meltdown internally and with Honda) and Mercedes (works). It's good to see Lotus on the road to a Ren-volution but aside from that... hmmm.

I really hope RB get their 🤬 together, not because I care about the team but because they have 4 promising drivers that might struggle for a 2016 seat if they decide to pull out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly I doubt they gonna get an engine. Mercedes apparently didnt got a contact with RBR because Mateschitz dislike them and even if he didnt, Mercedes already said they wouldnt gave them an engine, Ferrari offered a 2015 last spec engine from what I understand and well Renault isnt an option. That leaves us with Honda. I doubt anyone else wanna team up with Honda atm. But it's the only realistic option I can see for RBR.

So yeah very high chance that RBR and TR are gone next year.

So that would mean 4 drivers for umm 2 seat as far as I can tell.

1 in Haas, 1 in Renault.

So yeah very high chance that RBR and TR are gone next year.
I can't imagine that Mateschitz would completely shut both teans down. It makes no sense, would involve significant financial penalty because of the Concorde Agreement, and would put a serious dent in their reputation as it would mean putting a thousand people out of work.

I think it's more likely that he will sell the teams on.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Haas, when signing a deal with Ferrari also obligated themselves to reserving a seat to someone in the Ferrari pipeline. In this case Gutierrez. If Red Bull decides to call it quits in F1 I think realistically there will only be Grosjeans empty seat at Lotus/Renault for the Red Bull and Toro Rosso boys to compete for.

Back